Closed Taking Root (Beodan)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 5th, 2015, 5:23 am

13th Autumn, 515 AV

The world passed by in a flurry of color and sound.

Joanna could feel her hooves pounding against the soft dirt as she plunged deeper and deeper into the wilds. She could hear her heart thumping in her ears while her chest heaved with every breath. She could smell the Autumn air and the scent of decomposing leaves as she raced against the wind. How long had she been running? How far had she traveled from the forest's edge? She didn't know, and that was okay. Even as her pace slowed and her muscles wore from exhaustion, she felt alive and free.

It was days like these that made her happy to be living. To drink in the feeling of liberation and relish in the beauty of nature, it made her feel... determined. It filled her with hope, and reminded her of the world she was working so hard to protect. It was a bit melodramatic to think of it like that, but it came from the heart. Joanna wanted nothing more than to spread the message of hope to anyone who would listen, and nature was one of many representations of enduring life, and a perfect example for her teachings.

Of course, when she wasn't trying to convince strangers to follow the teachings of her goddess, she was walking the wilds to connect herself to the world. It was a very spiritual practice that not only gave her the opportunity to roam free, but to bond with her animal form as well. She considered it very important for a Kelvic to feel comfortable in any form they have the privilege to shift into. Too often had she met Kelvics who had isolated themselves to their animal forms, or those that had become so enamored with humans that they refused to change. It was like ignoring half of your entire being. And that wouldn't do.

It was already late morning by the time Joanna finally came to a stop at the bank of a river. The sound of rushing water was enough to remind her of her thirst, and it took everything in her not to leap straight into the stream. She couldn't be sure about how much ground she had covered, but even from here she had a general idea of how to return to the city. It would not be the first time she had to find her way home without direction. But she wouldn't worry about that now. There was plenty of time left in the day to enjoy herself. For now, she drank from the waters and idly grazed in the grass to let her stamina return.

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Words: 76579
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2015, 5:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Beodan Clathony on October 5th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Beodan shook his mane, protesting the slight nip to the air that Autumn had brought. At least the grass was still fresh and delicious, it tended to get rather tough by the time Winter rolled around. A small river rushed somewhere to his left, the gurgling of the water setting his mind at ease, taking him into the moment and facilitating existential thoughts, which he tried his best to ignore. The patches of grass just in front of him had been bitten down professionally, and enjoyed thoroughly. Presently he had ended the life of a daisy, grinding down between his teeth, a solitary leaf hanging out from his lips. The familiar bitter taste left him feeling nostalgic for summers past. It was likely that he had found a daisy leftover from summer just half a moon ago, one of the last ones left. Sure more would grow, but it was the principle of the thing.

While he chewed, Dan absentmindedly watched a squirrel burying a small collection of nuts for future use. He snorted, finding his own preparations to be an amusing comparison to the little furry animal’s. This had involved collecting massive amounts of herbs though, so he would not want for any plants that flourished primarily in the summer. As petals were a valued ingredient, he had harvested at an ideal time. Now with his stores bursting, he could feast as the squirrel would when winter came. But those were thoughts for the future. Now there was a beautiful array of reds oranges and yellows as the green slowly was sapped from the leaves. Already his nonchalant hoof steps crunched through layers of shed leaves, rusty brown and smelling heavenly.

The squirrel finished its work and headed to the river for a drink. The Kelvic bobbed his head up as he swallowed the last of the pulverized plant matter, and clopped after the small animal's disappearing bushy tail. A drink of crisp water sure sounded good about now, after grazing for a bell. Two bells? It didn't matter, losing track of time was half of grazing's appeal. The mellow sun felt muted as it tried to outshine the wispy clouds, but it was fighting a lost battle. Its two primary seasons were over, now was the time for cold and twilight. His forehooves sank into the muddy bank as he stooped down to drink from the crystal water. He let out a please nicker after the first quaff, a low, rumbling breathy sound that rippled along the river. He felt alive in that moment, his legs submerged in the ichor of life and natures beauty all around, displaying her colors proudly before she retired for the winter. He inhaled easily through his nose. He stiffened, his ears perking up. That was.. another horse? He turned his head up wind, and sure enough, a mare that looked similar to him! Sleek brown hair with splotches of white. It looked like her hair was slightly lighter on the mane than his, but still, they looked alike. He gave her a trumpeting neigh in greeting, "Hello there, fair lady!"
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Words: 228292
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2015, 9:49 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 6th, 2015, 12:11 am

Joanna's head whipped up in surprise and took note of the horse on the other side of the river bidding her good morning. She did not expect to have company, especially being this deep into the woods. She was a bit startled at first, but her shock turned to cautious curiosity as the stranger entered the light. She did not let her eyes leave the other horse, doing her best to assess the stallion and his motives. The tone turned more tense as the mare focused her gaze intently.

At a glance, the stallion looked very similar to her; both of their coats were a shade of light brown with patches of white. He had small strip of white running from the length of his nose to his head, which Joanna found to be quite cute. Her own marking looked like someone took a paint roller and rolled it from her chin, all the way up to her forehead. Aside from that, there wasn't anything extraordinary about him. She could tell, even from the distance, that he was somewhat shorter and less stocky than her, but that wasn't a surprise given her own breed.

Even beyond superficial appearances, the stranger seemed alright. His eyes betrayed a much more inquisitive and child-like curiosity that Joanna was feeling surface in herself. IT had been a long time since she met another horse, and if her hunch was right, this would be a Kelvic. With the proximity to Syliras, it seemed like a safe bet. Her eyes loss their harsh edge and were instead replaced with warmth and acceptance. The mood having lightened and the air less tense, Joanna's tail started to swing back and forth playfully.

"Good morning," she neighed in response, nodding her head politely. She had to wonder, though, what had drawn the other horse out to this stretch of the woods. It could be that this was territory belonging to a troop, and Joanna was intruding. This got her a bit worried. She didn't want to think she was inconveniencing them. "I hope I'm not trespassing on your lands. If need be, I can relocate. I was just out for a stroll."
Last edited by Joanna Familiaris on October 6th, 2015, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Beodan Clathony on October 6th, 2015, 5:25 am

The Stallion nodded jerkily, and sniffed with a flop of his ears, “No no, these woods don’t belong to anyone, my home is just nearby. I’m just grazing as well.” Finally, a horse that did not have the cold, flat eyes of one of the slave horses the knights, and would actually be able to follow a conversation! This left no doubt in his mind that she was a Kelvic, just like him. He passively wondered what she looked like in her human form. He sloshed through the shallow water towards her, his tail held high and proudly. Not wanting to miss the rare opportunities to do a proper horses greeting, he continued forward until he was just in front of her. “...” She would recognise the gesture, like a baby knows how to breath.

He blinked once and then took one more step towards her, closing the gap between them. He twisted his neck against hers and turned his head to the side. If she reciprocated, she would mirror him and they would exchanges scents. A scent served as a name in this form, where one could not properly articulate the common tongue. And once you thought about it, you can share a name with someone, but it is much rarer to share a scent. The small greeting ritual had left Dan happier than it should have, his tail swished back and forth excitedly. It was only that he was finally meeting someone like him, someone who had felt the same terrible pain and longing for a bondmate. He assumed she had not bonded, as she was alone in the woods. But that did not mean anything. He had a bond, and where was she?

Gone. Vanished, with not a word. Beodan had held on to the fragile thread that still connected them, knowing she was alive somewhere, in the faint hope that she would come back to him. It kept the worst of the pain away, but the familiar icy claw tearing his innards was never far away when his thoughts turned to his lately disappeared bondmate. During his dark internal monologue, his ears had drooped all the way down, which he was just now becoming conscious of. Quickly, he resumed his confident perky attitude and buried the thoughts for brooding some other time. His chocolate eyes scanned hers, wondering if she had noticed his train of thought diverting.

"Are you bonded?"
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 6th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Joanna was, yet again, surprised by the stallion as he crossed the river towards her. There was a bounce to his step that infinitely amused her, but his sudden approach made her feel uneasy and quite a bit flustered. It had been so long since she had felt the presence of another horse that the traditional rituals of greeting had completely escaped her. Instinctively, she flinched back. She did not know what to think of the stallion's sudden closeness. It took a good few moments for her to finally pick up on his gesture, and by that time Joanna had finally realized what this was all about. She whinnied apologetically, feeling a bit dull for not immediately picking up on his movements and instead acting rude and distant.

She lowered her head and followed his movements, positioning her head on the opposite side of his to draw in his scent. The rich smells of the forest around them made it difficult for her to pinpoint anything of intense interest, and all that filled her nostrils was the scent of grass and flowers. There were earthy, grassy tones and herbal aromas she could not name. Even the faint smell of leaves was in the air, tickling the back of her nose. She sniffed again, realizing with great surprise that this was the stallion's scent. It was like he had been rolling around in a field of flowers. He smelled almost identical to the forest itself.

Her own scent was probably not as pleasant. Past the musk of sweat, there was a distinct, old-wood smell, like a lumber yard or an old house. A product of her reclusive behavior, no doubt. She always enjoyed spending time indoors, away from the hustle and bustle. beyond that was a faint tinge of cinnamon mixed with some kind of herbal mix or incense. That would be the church. Any time she wasn't eating, sleeping, or working, she would be praying. Or riding wild in the woods. Aside from that there were small traces of smells from the city and the forest that were nothing noteworthy.

Content with his smell, and in high spirits, Joanna turned to face him only to meet a look of sadness and despair. She was a bit taken aback, thinking that he was responding to her own scent, only to realize that his eyes looked distant and ruminative. He was remembering something. Something... unpleasant. She waited patiently, hoping that whatever was troubling him would pass. And just like that, his mood shifted into the upbeat, perky attitude he had introduced himself with. When their eyes met again, she did her best to give him a look of understanding.

"Bonded?" Bonded... interesting. "No... I'm not." She said, slowly. She remembered something really funny and gave a small, grunty laugh. She hadn't heard that word in years. It was like this stranger was reopening a door to her past and letting lose the memories she thought she had once lost. Bonding was not a common occurrence with her family. In a city like Sunberth, it was dangerous for disciples of Priskil to walk the streets. Okay, to be fair, it was dangerous for anybody to walk the streets of Sunberth. Regardless, she and her family mostly kept to themselves and hardly ever communicated with the outside, except through her father.

"I've never bonded with someone before. I suppose it's not something I've ever thought about." Even in her travels, her mind had been so focused on service that she never even thought about it. "I assume you are, then. I would be surprised if you weren't." That last bit came out a bit suddenly. He was quite a handsome stallion, after all, but she didn't expect to have said something like that out loud.

"T-that is to say... uh..." Nothing. Nothing came to mind. She skittishly shifted her hooves. "You live nearby, correct? Do you mind if we move ourselves there? I'd be interested to know what it is you do, living all the way out here." Nice recovery. Still, she couldn't help from looking a bit embarrassed.

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Beodan Clathony on October 6th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Frankincense, a hint of cloves and cinnamon, mixed with the natural equestrian scent that lingered upon them both. She also smelled like some of the old houses in the city did, a dusty, woody scent that was somehow comforting. It reminded him of the Rearing Stallion, long winter nights spent in front of the hearth. Frankincense, more specifically the oil, not the solid, would be something the Herbalist would like to get his hands on. It was hard to find for a non exorbitant price, and it was extremely useful for salves and rubs. He made a note to ask her about it later on. She had a unique scent, that seemed a balance of their nature and the city’s influence. Positively charming

“Bonded? No.. I’m not,” she communicated haltingly, letting out a small laugh as she finished. Her response was anticipated by Dan, and he bobbed his head once to show his guess had been confirmed. What she said next shocked him. “I’ve never bonded with someone before. I suppose it’s not something I’ve ever thought about.” What, never thought about finding a bondmate? Was she a recently released slave. Ever since he was old enough to think clearly the desire that all Kelvics possessed to bond had firmly implanted itself in his mind. He could not imagine what her circumstance was that bonding was never an option to be considered. He blew air at her to show his sympathy, and offer what comfort he could. “I’m sorry,” he said with a slight lowering of his ears, “That must be hard..” He could not imagine having to deal with hardship in life, and not be able to have someone to abate the constant pain to bond at the same time.

“I assume you are, then. I would be surprised if you weren’t,” the mare unintentionally flattered, but the damage was done. Dan’s tail perked even higher if that was possible and he extended his neck to its full height, giving her a equestrian version of a wink. He blew air at her once more, “I have the same thoughts about you, oh Gleaming Haired One,” his expression filled with flirtatious mirth. She tried to back petal, “T-that is to say.. uh… You live nearby, correct.?” A blink of his large eyes wryly acknowledged the redirection for what it was. “Do you mind if we move ourselves there? I’d be interested to know what it is you do, living all the way out here.” He nodded, his tail swishing in excitement at being able to share his enthusiasm for his craft, letting her off the hook. Her embarrassed body language was endearing, but he did not want her to be uncomfortable. “Yes, of course! Follow me, my lady,” he said, turning towards the other edge of the river and heading into the trees, hoof steps echoing just behind his.

They soon came to the path Beodan had created from many many travels out into this part of the woods to graze or harvest herbs, the forest floor packed down to the dirt with hoofprints, and the occasional bare footprint. Now it would just take a chime or two at a comfortable trot to reach his abode. As they neared, they would be able to detect his scent markers that formed a perimeter around his territory, warning other animals that these woods were his and not to be trespassed upon. Soon, they entered his clearing. A pavilion sat at the far end, with many large potted plants lying near the entrance in neat rows. There was a firepit a few meters from the entrance, the bottom lined with ashes and a few blackened logs sitting on top of them, with a small stack of firewood off to the side. A worn wood axe stuck in a stump some ways away. Right next to where the path entered the clearing, there were beds of plants lined in rocks, in what appeared to be a chaotic garden, which looked to be due for a wedding session. “Home sweet home,” he nickered to her, then with a flashed of light Shifted into a man. “Welcome!”
oocUnder the housing section of my Cs you can find a ms paint illustration of his abode, to give you some idea of my vision for it.
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 7th, 2015, 5:43 am

“That must be hard..”

His response confused her. Hard? No, not particularly. She was used to shouldering the problems of others at her own expense, but she had never found it to be a big issue. Any time she had troubles, she prayed. Any time she felt herself wavering in her devotion, she visited the temples. When depression hit or sadness took hold, she looked to her goddess for help. It was through her faith that she managed to keep her psyche together. Maybe then... no, that was silly. Impossible. Having a goddess like Lady Priskil bond with a lowly servant was impractical. Unspeakable. Still... she always felt that there was a connection between them despite never having ever met her face-to-face. Maybe... maybe her bond was spiritual, connected to the divines. Just thinking about them made her heart warm and her eyes sparkle. Even if it was one-way, her love for the Goddess had given her courage to overcome some of the most challenging periods of her life, and probably those she hadn't faced yet. That did not rule out the possibility of bonding with a mortal, but her admiration and infatuation with the gods would never fade.

The conversation continued, until the stranger returned the compliment she never meant to give.

"I have the same thoughts about you, oh Gleaming Haired One,”

Joanna's stoic facade crumbled. His directness left her speechless, and utterly flustered. Again. She could only huff nervously, unable to react. This was not an experience she was used to. She had been flirted with before, of course, but it always felt a bit silly. She wasn't a young woman anymore, and the approaches by younger men always felt... odd. They were cute, but not much else. Very awkward as well, with them trying to act subtle and smooth but inevitably trying too hard to look like they didn't care. She found it more endearing than anything, and eventually had to dash their hopes. But the way this stranger spoke, the bluntness of his words... it was actually very refreshing, if not maddening. Joanna's brain seemed to have snapped. She didn't know if he was just being playful or actually trying to flirt with her, and she didn't know what was worse. Even more worrying was that if it was the former, she wanted to play along, and if it was the latter, then she was tempted to push him further.

She was relieved when the stallion diverted the conversation, and was now more curious to see how the stranger was making a name for himself out in the wilds. Not many were suited to the life of the forest; living off the land and the bounties of the earth, but some were able to do it with ease. Upon reaching his home, it became abundantly clear how well he was faring.

It was like walking into a botanical garden with rare and beautiful plants sprawling out across the lawn in rows. Flowers of every shape and size filled her view, some bright and golden with others small and subdued. And the smell, the smell! Hundreds of thousands of different scents slipping through her nostrils at once, all of them lovely. It was so blissful that she began to wonder if it was all real. And to top it all off was a little hut situated at the opposite end of the clearing. It looked cozy and comforting, and all-together wonderful. She drank in the scene for quite some time before eventually turning to the stallion... no... man in front of her.

Perhaps the most surprising thing was that was indeed a man who met her gaze. Not an apple-cheeked adolescent or a fresh-faced teenager, but an actual man. He was tall and thin, but did not lack in muscle, and a scar stretched across his body like a long seam. And there was more. There were marks not made with a blade, but something far more sinister. Something blunt. It looked like it hurt. This, along with the general wear and tear of his image, gave an age to his features. A well defined age that spoke of experience. And he had hair, too. Hair on his head, his face, his chest, his...

That was enough surveying for one day. Joanna felt secure enough in his presence to present her human form, since he had done the same. With a deep breath, the Kelvic focused herself on shifting. In the blink of an eye her equine body gave way to a stocky woman worn by age and experience not unlike her new acquaintance. Her skin was toned, giving off the illusion of softness despite the coarse texture. Her features were, for lack of a better word, fierce. Piercing brown eyes, pursed lips and a straight posture all came together to give her the look of a warrior. Her hair, short and blonde, waved gently in the wind like she was some sort of picturesque heroine. And that wasn't all. Even with her arms crossed over her chest, most of her body was still visible. Most noticeably, the scratches that ran around her sides and thighs. Most were fully healed and little more than scars, but some areas of her lower legs and around her arms looked to be in the final stages of proliferation. Aside from this, there were little markings of weapons, except for the occasional faint bruise from training. She looked battered, but not beaten. Hardened.

"This is a very beautiful place" She said, looking towards his home with a soft smile. Her voice was deep and motherly, and just a bit authoritative. She allowed her expression to lighten, though, given the somber mood of the situation. "I take it you're a healer of some sorts. Or... maybe a botanist?" Either way, the plants couldn't just be there for the sake of looking pretty. The professional arrangement was too precise to be just decoration.

She felt a cool breeze cut across her bare body and sent a chill down her spine. She craved the warmth of a hearth. "Do you mind if I come in?" Something flashed in her memory, her eyes brightening. "Oh! How rude of me. I am Joanna Familiaris, servant of Priskil. It is an honor to meet you, sir." She considered offering a hand in polite gesture, but another gust of wind just made her hug herself tighter.
Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Beodan Clathony on October 7th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Beodan shut his eyes as light flared from the mare's body, the Kelvic Shift was as flamboyant as it was a second nature to them both. His brown gaze traced her new form, just as she had done to him moments ago. Her body was build hearty, like he was, but it was clear that her muscles were well tone through combative conditioning. She had curvaceous hips, a pear shaped body type. She was lightly tanned, perhaps a bit less than he was on the body. He assumed it was from having to wear clothes in the city a lot, whereas out here there was no one to object to his freedoms. Thin scars wrapped around her lower torso and upper thighs, a few banding her arms and legs that had just a hint of pink to show their more recent age. Slightly discolored patches of skin told of repeated impacts with different kinds of weapons, likely from training. Or, he supposed, actually combat with something to dampen mortal blows. Armor?

The woman’s hair was a platinum blond, almost a white gold color, cut shorter than most city women. It was layered lightly, feathered by the light breeze drifting through the trees. Brown eyes just a shade or two lighter than his, commanding a powerful gaze, were framed by dark, defined eyebrows. She carried herself much like he did, tall and proud as a horse! Though, she moved in a way that looked calculated, as if every movement had been practiced many times until fluid perfection had been achieved. A shiver ran down his spine, she reminded him of Skae. Never had he met a scarier and yet caring person than the Dhani. Maybe this woman would prove to have the same personality. She certainly looked like she could take out a bandit or five. He still thought there was something wrong with deliberate violence, but he understood the utility of preparation after getting attacked further out in the woods.

She held her arms across her chest, as if in defiance. "This is a very beautiful place,” she complimented, deeply and with the vocal manifestation of a gentle palm pressed against your forehead. He smiled at the flattery and scratched the back of his head sheepishly, “Thanks. I’m afraid I let the garden beds go a little bit. Half of the flowers aren’t supposed to be there, the birds and things bring lots of seeds in.. and, yeah.” He trailed off, leaving her to take in the rest of the clearing. He took a moment to reflect as well. Sure, it was chaotic, but there was order underneath. The beds might have seemed to be arranged randomly by people who were not big into herbalism. They were sorted by purpose. That row for headache, those for fighting fever, the next helped wounds not scar… the list went on and on. He was not adept at botany, and so the garden tended to get a bit out of hand. He relied on his knowledge of herbs to keep things ordered in his mind, if not in the soil.

“Oh?” Dan was roused from his thoughts, answering, “Ah, close! I’m an herbalist, so a healer that uses the properties of plants to heal ailments, instead of fancy goddess magic. Inside I have jars of processed herbs that are way more, ah, useful than this mess.” He gestured broadly at the garden beds. “The pots over there are the plants that I need frequently, and fresh. I keep a closer eye on those,” he said, pointing a finger at the neat rows of large and medium sized pots. Peppermint would be the most recognizable herb of the lot, if not by sight, than by scent. “Do mind if I come in?” she asked, his eyes finding hers once again. Goosebumps stood up on her arms, and suddenly her posture was made clear. Without a nice coat of hair and a body that ran hot, the nip of cold in the air became more of a bit. He opened his mouth, and was cut off by her apology, “Oh! How rude of me. I am Joanna Familiaris, servant of Priskil. It is an honor to meet you, sir." He shot her a grin and responded, “None of that sir stuff, I’m only six you know! My name’s Beodan Clathony, but call me Dan, if it pleases you Joanna.” He noticed her slight shiver, and felt his toes protest the temperature, and offered, “Ah, come in, come in. Have a seat on the couch. Tea?”

Dan followed her into the tent, and lit two lamps that cast the pavilion into a warm, flickering light. A placed a kettle full of water over one and turned to her, “So, a servant of Priskil, hmm?” giving her permission to gush on her religion. She was an odd one. Well, really she was normal, for a human. But that made her odd for a kelvic!
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Joanna Familiaris on October 8th, 2015, 1:21 am

As Joanna listened to the man explain his homestead garden, she couldn't help but smile. It was obvious that he had a passion for his work, and a great deal of knowledge on the subject. She couldn't even imagine trying to remember all the different shapes and colors of the plants, much less their application, so she was thoroughly impressed with the Kelvic's setup. Even if it was a bit messy. There was method to this madness. But the way in which spoke adamantly of his craft made her happy. Seeing that kind of passion and hope filled her with determination.

The interior of the house was just as lovely as the exterior; hanging plants hovered just above her head, filling the house with the smell of exotic flowers. It made her feel at ease. She could close her eyes and imagine herself sitting in a spa, surrounded by strange smells and the aura of good health. And the way the hut was nestled into the trees made it feel cozy and compact, like they were huddling inside a little box, safe from the wilderness outside. She sat herself down on his couch, the soft fabric accepting her wholeheartidly. She sighed, thankful to be off her her feet for once.

“None of that sir stuff, I’m only six you know! My name’s Beodan Clathony, but call me Dan, if it pleases you Joanna.”

Only six? She chuckled a bit. She was almost 9, and she felt like an old woman. Maybe youth wasn't bound by age, but by the way people live their lives. Being surrounded by nature, tending to the plants and herbs while living off the land... it sounded like a life free of strife or intense danger. A very comfortable life. A wonderful life. A life Joanna knew would not come to her. But she would not wallow in those kinds of thoughts. If her suffering could give even just a single person a chance to be happy, then she would do it without question. And that thought made her happy.

"Thank you very much, Dan. I would love a cup of tea." A polite smile dawned on her face. The incredibly, almost impossibly, serene feeling she was having made her feel light as a feather. Her brain filled with tingles that seeped down her spine all the way to her legs, sending a sudden shudder through her entire body. It shocked her at first, but in its after-wave she felt intense relaxation overwhelm her. She sunk further into the couch and let out a contented sigh. When the hearth lightened and coated her body with warmth, she sunk further into comfort the the point where she threatened to pass out at any moment.

It was the mention of her Goddess that grabbed her attention and pulled her from sleep. Here eyes flashed open at her name, but her posture did not change. She did not want to jeopardize the comfortable position she was in. "Priskil... our lady of hope, and Goddess of devotion," she began, a light blush rising to her cheeks as she remembered her earlier thoughts of bonding. "There are no words to describe a being as great as her. She has watched over me since birth, and though it took several years to realize my faith, I have remained loyal to her ever since." She spoke softly, like she was speaking to a group of students eagerly anticipating storytime. She sighed, looking up at the ceiling with a big smile. "Ever since I left home, it has been my mission to spread the word of her mission, and bring hope to a broken world. As we speak, she sits with her lover, Aquiras, tending to his lifeless body in the hopes that the day will come that one of her disciples will return what was taken: his heart. And so she has sat there, since the Valterrarian itself, hoping beyond hope that he will one day recover. That kind of faith... that courage to endure..." She clenched her fist, looking to be on the verge of tears. "It's inspiring. How can I do any less? Her posture straightened, a hand placed firmly on her heart. "I have vowed to make sure that her efforts do not go to waste, and that the world may know hope once more, and can look upon lady Priskil with reverence and respect!"

By the time she was done with her grand speech, she was already about to cry heroically When she realized this, her cheeks grew hot. "S-sorry. I have... a lot to thank Lady Priskil for. And I feel that not even a life's worth of devotion would make up for all she's done for me. But it is the least I can do." She wiped her eyes, feeling just a bit embarrassed.

"But, what about you, dear? How did you end up coming to live here?" It was certainly out of the way, but maybe that was the idea. A secluded spot free from hunters and wanderers. Maybe too hidden for even a roaming bandit to find.

Joanna Familiaris
Pilgrim of Priskil

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Taking Root (Beodan)

Postby Beodan Clathony on October 8th, 2015, 10:24 pm

"S-sorry. I have... a lot to thank Lady Priskil for. And I feel that not even a life's worth of devotion would make up for all she's done for me. But it is the least I can do,” Beodan’s guest finished, seemingly embarrassed at her display of passion. He had poured the hot water into two mugs after carefully selecting herbs sometime during the middle of her speech. He had opted for a peppermint and raspberry leaf brew, with a few other savory herbs for health, and some honey to enhance the flavor. He had listened to her with the same rapt attention and awe that he always possessed for the gods and goddesses. To think that such beings existed was a beacon of hope for those that often thought about the afterlife, and other deep sorts of thoughts. He had a lot of time to think out here, and often he dwelled on his own mortality, a trait he had picked up from his bondmate.

“Not a problem, I loved hearing about her. It was a great story. Sad, but great none the less,” he said with a smile in his tone, stirring the tea with a spoon, steam curling upwards steadily and glimmering in the warm light. “I suppose I follow Rak’keli, myself, but only in that I am devoted to helping people through healing. I don’t pray or anything,” he added, giving the a cup one final stir and holding it out to her. He brought the other cup to his lips, and let out a long contented sigh. It certainly hit the spot since the weather was getting colder. “They are alike aren’t they? Your’s the goddess of light and good, mine the goddess of health and healing. They are on the same side, no?” he mused aloud, a ponderous expression on his face with a furrowed brow. A goddess looking for her lover’s heart. It was almost a human problem, if it were not so literal in this case. Dan did not think it would do much good to get the heart back, it would surely be rotten by now, and the same for the man, unless gods did not rot? Surely any old heart would do? Or maybe he could be made a Nuit, and then he would get to keep on living. And if gods did not rot, then there would be no problem; he could keep the same body forever! He would bring it up later.

“Here? Oh that’s an interesting story. Well, my old mentor, taught me everything I knew, said she had to leave for other lands one day when I was three or four. But she wanted me to stay safe, to not get into trouble! So she told me I shouldn't go to the city, where too many things happened and opinions of other races shifts from time to time. She told me about this place, close enough to the city to be under the Knights’ protection, but far enough into the woods that I couldn’t be found, unless I was followed, or someone spent a lot of time looking.” The Herbalist took a long sip of tea, then continued, “So I bought a big tent, and set up camp. It slowly became a home after a while. I kept adding things on, like the firepit and the couch, to make it more homely, you know? I’ll always have this place to come back to at the end of the day.”

Dan let the sentimental thought hang as the pleasant aroma of peppermint filled the air. He sat next to her on the couch. She looked right at home, what with her body seemingly being sucked into the plush cushions. He grinned at her posture, and asked, speaking his mind without filter as those of their race are stereotyped for doing, “So what is a warrior of the light doing all the way out here. I suppose here meaning the forest, and in Syliras in general. I haven’t met another Horse Kelvic before, so I would like it if you stayed for a while.”
Beodan Clathony
The Horse Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next