The Written Word... [open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Corum on December 3rd, 2010, 11:37 pm

2 winter, 510AV

The sun was bright in the mid morning winter day. The air was crisp and chilled, the trees devoid of leaves. Of course, this could not be seen in the University’s famed library. Hundreds of books lined the walls, a few mages and scholars browsing the shelves, it was a very quiet place. Corum loved such places. He was glad of his race just then, as he entered the building. He would not be forced to leave for some time. He had met new friends, of which he was glad, but to learn was his purpose.

Searching through the shelves, Corum happened upon a book that details the art of Glyphing. Taking this from the shelf, he searched for a seat and table. Finding no table near him, he took the closest chair he could find. It was nice to have peace and quiet.

Corum pushed back his hood, having no need to hide his nature here. His skin was deathly pale, contrasting to his deeply black hair, which mirrored the dark rings around his eyes and his tung. His eyes were a bright green, showing intelligence beyond the years of this young body. He filled his scarlet rone out well, this man having been rather muscular in life. His hair was in a tight braid half way down his back, where his robe and back pack hid it. He silently opened the book to the first page and inspected it.

It seemed a rather old book, and he could see no title. There were words under and above the runic drawings inscribed within it’s pages, detailing a few tricks to make easy the process of drawing them. Soon he must travel to a market of some kind to buy a pen and ink... But for now, he simply read. Corum soon lost track of time, though he watched his surroundings. Still he trusted no one, and was glad that his seat was in a corner...
Knowlage Is Power, Guard It Well.
Corum
Student of Life, Even in Death...

Words: 23645
Joined roleplay: November 4th, 2010, 2:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Postby Luke Lammergeier on December 11th, 2010, 3:35 am

Stepping into the library Luke was a little over whelmed with the place. Massive shelves full of books, plenty of high class scholars and people that would generally be his targets. It made him feel uncomfortable and for Luke that was surprising. It had been a week since he had free time to explore Zelvita. Luke and Kain had been too wrapped up in sealing the deal with a local captain to allow for much free time.

The shelves stretched threw out the room and it was his task to find something in particular. He was going to eventually go to sea and wanted to gain some knowledge on process. Even though no one looked suspicious at Luke he didn't want to go asking for help. Their were hundreds of book titles and none of them were what he wanted. Skimming threw the spines he tried only for key words but there were far to many on this shelf alone not to mention every other hall in this building. He needed to ask someone that was as much as an out cast as he was. This was harder than he thought. He looked nothing like the well dressed clean shaven men here.

It took a while before he glanced at a strange looking man. He was almost unnoticeable hidden in the corner and if Luke hadn't been looking he would of passed him by completely. Luke sat their for a second side staring at the man and covered it by acting interested in a book. From what he could see the man looked sick or deprived of sleep. Not many people were around him and he seemed alone. No other chairs were pulled out and he was heavy into his reading. It was his best bet and he decided to take it the chance of looking rude. It was better to be rude then hanged as a criminal.

Luke took his time and weaved threw hall ways and shelves picking up a few books and placing them back. He didn't want to show his interest in the man to bluntly. Making it look like he just happened upon him. When he finally reached the corner he was slightly taken back by the dark rings around his eyes and mouth. He didn't want to be rude and just stare so he cleared his throat to give him away and spoke up.

“I hate to bug you but could you help me find the section on sailing. I'm going on a voyage and need to read up.”
Character is being put on hold

All emails should be directed towards ETHAN
Luke Lammergeier
All i smell is Drykas and horse dung

Words: 115174
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2010, 7:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Corum on December 11th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Corum was withdrawn from the world. His mind was focused upon the runes and drawings within his book. Memorization was key to learning the ways of the glyph. He saw how the circles were perfect in one particular glyph, three inside each other at regular intervals, two more inside the middle that was much closer together. A ten pointed star was inside the middle, the tips touching the circle that encased it. Between that circle and the one closest to it there was small, runic writing... He could no longer focus on this glyph.

He’d heard a voice. A question was asked of him and he’d not been paying attention. He was human, but obviously not of the university. Corum did not much care. He’d said something about ships though... But this was not something Corum new much about.

Corum frowned. “ i am sorry friend, but i am not well versed in the ways of boats. Perhaps you could try the docks...? Im sure there is a book some where, but honestly im new here... i am enrolling into the magic school within the university, you see...”
Corum

Character sheet

Postby Luke Lammergeier on December 12th, 2010, 10:07 am

The man raised his head and frowned at Luke as he began to speak. “ i am sorry friend, but i am not well versed in the ways of boats." His well mannered speech and attitude made him an instant hit with Luke. Living amongst rugged idiotic criminals will dumb you down pretty far. Hearing a person with good manors was refreshing.

The man continued with his sentence and Luke listened. " Perhaps you could try the docks...? Im sure there is a book some where, but honestly im new here... i am enrolling into the magic school within the university, you see...”

The word magic captured his full interest. His head swarmed with the advantages and knowledge that Magic presented. He had always been interested in learning some form of magic. Either to further his strength or to give back to the people he took from. The possibilities were endless and this was his first chance to talk to someone informed in the arts.

"Well if your a future student then forget Ship's. Could you help me understand magic?" Luke sat down in the chair in front of the man and kept his distance away from any books on the table. "I have always wanted to get at least a small foot hold into the idea. Would i be taking up too much time?" Luke knew he was being borderline rude but wouldn't let an opportunity pass him by so easily.

Luke Lammergeier

Character sheet

Postby Corum on December 13th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Corum smiled. His new may not be a university man yet, but perhaps soon enough. He was interested in magic, just as Corum was. He was fine in the company of others, but he’d have to set his work aside... Corum closed his book.

“ Magic is a very general term... I am studying the arts of glyphing, projection, the reimancy of fire and earth, and animation... A wide variety of magic, but i have centuries upon centuries to learn... What magic do you plan to study?” It was interesting to see what he would say. He seemed just a regular sailor, though a shady one. He seemed not to know what he was talking to, either. Corum was slightly uncomfortable that he did not have his hood up.
Corum

Character sheet

Postby Luke Lammergeier on December 14th, 2010, 5:37 am

Luke was extremely glad that he was answered and not laughed at by the student. He was impressed by all the fields that he was going to take and wish he had the time to learn what each were. Luke had a very "on the go" career and would need someone to teach him personally if at all.

When the man said centuries to learn he became a little curious. Whatever this student was Luke was pretty sure he was safe. His life kept him a little occupied with training so the ways of other races often escaped him. He kept on guard just in case anything happened. He wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

"I wish i knew what i wanted to study myself. I haven't had much time to study magic. I hardly know the kinds their are. I'd like to learn how to heal people if anything." Luke decided to leave out the "what the hell are you" part of his conversation. He didn't want to offend anything he didn't fully understand. Besides unless they planned to travel together he wouldn't need to worry about being attacked.

Luke Lammergeier

Character sheet

Postby Corum on December 14th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Corum smiled as the kind man made his remarks... Healing was something of the mundane, he thought. Not much but the gods could be of supernatural help in that. Corum noticed no change in his outward appearance when he spoke, so it was safe to assume he did not think of the frail Nuit as a danger. He was not much of one, physically, but that was not the point.

“ Healing is not the works of magic, i believe. Medicine and the study of Herbs, at least, is not. I wouldn’t know much though, i’ve never been very interested in healing. I do know that one of the Gods has taken it upon herself to watch over healers... Perhaps you should pray?”

Corum was not very satisfied with his own answer, and he doubted his companion would be either. The lack of knowledge was almost unforgivable, as he was created to learn everything he possibly could. Perhaps one day, when he had learned all that he wished of the magics that he planned to learn here, he would learn how to mend the wounds of the living.
Corum

Character sheet

Postby Luke Lammergeier on December 15th, 2010, 6:41 am

Luke felt slightly dumb when Corum spoke, even though the student smiled. If healing wasn't used with magic then he would set his mind on something else. Luke had hoped to kill his victims in front of his bandits then revive them later to keep a good reputation. If this wasn't possible threw magic then he would pick something more practical to study.

Not wanting to talk about things he didn't know about Luke decided to question the Student. After all he was a petty criminal and didn't have time to read up whenever he felt like it. Luke smiled back at the man and began to speak.

"I'm afraid i know very little about magic. How about you tell me the things you are learning? Or perhaps you could show me?" The idea of a mysterious man showing him magic didn't sit too well until he knew exactly what he was dealing with, but that wasn't something to worry about now.

Luke Lammergeier

Character sheet

Postby Corum on December 15th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Corum looked down for a moment, to his book. It was written in an older language then the one he currently spoke. He took a moment to think, before looking into the eyes of this man. Confusion was what was most apparent in hi expression... Corum was only sorry he could produce nothing of which he spoke.

“ that is why i am enrolling here, you see... I can show you nothing. I can explain, though. Glyphing is the simple art of memorizing and drawing runes... They help the flow of your magical energy- the Djed- both take the form you want and where, or how much, you want to use. It is a very valuable skill in almost every other magical field.”

Corum took a breath. He was not very used to breathing... “Reimancy, simply put, is the control of the elements using Djed. you can make your energies take the property of stone, air, fire, or water, and if you are skilled enough, you may mix any two as you see fit. It can also be used with the very dangerous art of Projection. Projection is the ability to rip your own soul from your body. One could remove the part of his soul that controls his arm and move it close to an enemy, and use fire reimancy to burn him unawares.”

Corum smiled at this as he once again breathed. It was something he’d likely do in battle, some seasons from now when he’d learned both arts. It would make his personal defense much more easy.

“ Lastly is Animation. the art of bringing life to things that have none. Such as Sahova’s famed golems... Though for a more temporary servant, i suppose one could use a corpse...”
Corum

Character sheet

Postby Luke Lammergeier on December 16th, 2010, 9:35 am

When the student told Luke he couldn't show him the art of magic his options seemed to grow thinner. Without a teacher he could not learn magic. With his "carreer" he never had time to sit down and learn from some wizard in a library. He needed a traveling companion to teach him what Luke needed to know. It was a ridiculous thought in the first place. The ship he was staying on would leave soon and with it the idea of learning magic. No person would travel with pirates and bandits after a few days of knowing him.

When the man started to give a general summary of magic Luke was all ears. It fascinated him greatly, the idea of being able to control your own spirit and make it leave your body in a different elements or a technique in battle. The possibilities of this excited Luke mentally and only fueled his urge to learn.

When the man smiled at the part about burning an enemy he recognized that smirk. Luke had it many times when he thought about killing an annoying enemy. Or a sword technique he was particularity proud of. It was both concerning and pleasant to know someone shared his interests. Luke could be misjudging a simple smile but he doubted it. And that ending part about animation concerned him. Obvously The student was giving him a clue and Luke wasn't going to be a idiot and not get to the bottom of it soon.

He needed to get on Corum's good side. he needed a teacher of any kind. to at least give him a simple idea of the subject. He liked the idea of Reimancy and controlling the elements. He was starting to get the idea of magic but he wanted to start experiencing it. Luke decided that this student would become his teacher one way or another.

He had to be very slick with his next words. He didn't want to scare the student away and decided to win him over threw more conversations. Magic interested him so much he didn't mind talking it over again and again.

"Okay I slightly understand the idea's of Reimancy and projection but i don't get what Glyphs do? Also you don't plan to sit here and learn for hundreds of years do you? Some one with your knowledge would be extremely useful..." He hoped he wasn't too blunt about his offers and hoped the student would at least think about this in the back of his mind.

(OOC\\ I don't know how you want to continue this thead so if you got any plot ideas hit me up on an PM!)

Luke Lammergeier

Character sheet

Next