[Flashback-Training] Taking Flight in the Summer Sun (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Kellan Lucia on December 5th, 2010, 4:42 am

Timestamp: 67th of Summer, 510 AV
Purpose: Riding/Flying/Hunting Training

The skies were clear and sunny as Kellan walked next to the lower of the Twin Lakes. He was nervous for what he was preparing to do. "Don't be nervous Kellan. I am not a horse, I will not buck you off my back." Alwin's voice echoed through Kellan's mind as he walked. He knew his feathered friend was flying somewhere above his head and was due to settle down near him at any moment. It was still a bit odd to Kellan that he now shared his mind with another creature. It was obvious when Alwin spoke in his mind, his voice was a deeper timbre than Kellan's own. It just never ceased to surprise him when Alwin's voice would echo in his head while he was eating or walking through Wind Reach.

The water at Kellan's feet rippled as Alwin landed behind him. "Are you ready for your unnecessary lesson in riding?" The Giant Eagle had faith in his ability to fly as well as Kellan's but Kellan did not share the faith. He wanted to make sure he would not end his life as an Endal as quickly as it started. "Well come on then. If we are going to do this we might as well get a move on." Kellan grinned at the eagle and walked to Alwin's back. "You are like a child you know, grinning like a little boy about everything." Alwin lowered himself to the ground and Kellan climbed onto his back. "Get used to it Alwin. I am never going to grow up." Alwin snapped his beak together in a sort of avian chuckle and then flapped his wings. Kellan gripped hard to his feathers as he felt the air around them rushing. "I like my feathers Kellan, please do not rip them out." Kellan chuckled and loosened his grip. He was a nervous wreck and there was no hiding it from Alwin.

With a few more flaps of Alwin's wings the pair were in the air. The ground below them began to look less like land and more like a painting swirling below their feet. "Where are we headed?" Kellan wondered where the two should head. "Let's fly until we see something to hunt. We might as well bring some food back to Win Reach while we are out here." Alwin dipped a wing as he turned in the air. Once again he gave off his action of a bird-like chuckle. "I do not know whether or not to be happy you want to hunt or a bit amused that you just came up with the idea on the spot." Kellan shrugged and looked around below them. He was looking for something to hunt.

"Alwin, do you see anything?" Kellan looked around to see if there were any animals running around but he could not see them with his untrained eye. "Give it some time. We just got in the air. Relax a bit." Kellan chuckled and once again loosened his tight grip on Alwin's feathers. He had not noticed that his fingers had started to grip hard on Alwin's feathers again. "Sorry…" He took a deep breath in and felt the wind rush past him. He remembered the feeling that he had the first time he flew. The rush of Alwin's feathers in the wind against his hands, his shirt ruffling in the breeze, and his hair whipping against his cheeks. This is where he belonged.
Daylight again, following me to bed
I think about a hundred years ago, how my fathers bled
I think I see a valley, covered with bones in blue
All the brave soldiers that cannot get older been asking after you
Hear the past a calling, from Valterian's side
When everyone's talking and no one is listening, how can we decide?
Kellan Lucia
5'6 OF GINGER FURY!!!!!

Words: 113386
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Kellan Lucia on December 6th, 2010, 6:45 pm

The wind picked up around the Endal and his eagle companion. Kellan stiffed up at the feeling of the wind picking up around them. "You will need to be less jumpy if you want to continue to fly with me." Kellan gave Alwin a small chuckle and tried to settle down. It was harder said than done though. Alwin was used to flying around in the air, even in storms. This was only Kellan's second time in the air. Alwin could feel his apprehension although Kellan wanted to hide it. There was a simple truth, Kellan was no longer alone. He now shared his fears and even his happiness with Alwin whether he liked it or not.

"Down there. There is a deer. If you are going to hunt you might as well do it now." Alwin dipped a wing and lowered himself closer to the ground. Kellan tentatively pulled his bow off of his shoulders while keeping one hand gripped to Alwin's feathers. "You will have to let go if you are going to shoot." Although Alwin's prodding could have been viewed a rude Kellan knew he was only looking out for him. Kellan let go of Alwin's feathers and felt himself balancing on the eagle's back with no hand to steady him. In fear he grabbed onto Alwin's feather's again. "Good attempt, now try again." There was a hint of humor in Alwin's echoing words. Kellan let go again but kept his hands poised over Alwin's body. He did not want to let go. "Take your chance or head home. The deer is not going to wait for you to kill it." Kellan nodded and pulled an arrow from the bag on his back. If Kellan could do this it would be his first successful hunt.

Soon Alwin was flying within shooting distance of the deer. Kellan pulled back and let an arrow fly in the direction of the animal. It landed off center and stood on an angle pointing out of the ground. The deer was now alerted and took off in a run. "Alwin, fly over the deer. Now that it knows we are here there is no harm in flying closer." Alwin pointed his body lower and the two were flying over the running animal. Kellan pulled back again and attempted to at least injure the animal but he was not used to shooting off the back of an eagle. He was determined now though. He was going to get that deer. The deer picked up speed and Kellan retaliated as any young Endal would. "Alwin fly faster." Alwin did not want to follow Kellan's direction. "Kellan, I know I said you would be able to fly fine but if I go any faster while you are attempting to shoot you might fall off my back." Kellan was blinded though. He was blinded by the need to prove his worth as a brand new Endal. "Alwin, come on we can do this. Just a little faster." A crazed smile was clear on Kellan's face. "Don't say I did not warn you, you little brat."

With a flap of his wings Alwin flew faster and the space between him and the deer got smaller. Kellan sat up straight and pulled another arrow from his bag. "This one will hit, I know it will." He pulled back and shot the arrow but there was a problem. Where was Alwin? Kellan felt himself falling toward the ground and only one thought came to his mind. "What on Mizahar had just happened?"

The Endal hit the ground with a hard thud and he tumbled until he collided with a tree. He was not experienced enough to be shooting at the speeds he was shooting at. The recoil of the string had knocked him from Alwin's back and he would be lucky to get out of his little fall without a broken back. "Kellan! Kellan, are you okay?" Alwin would have known the answer if Kellan knew if he was alright. He was completely shaken up from the fall though. He laid in the grass staring up at the sky until finally he let out a howl of pain. "FOR THE LOVE OF ZULRAV! SHIIIIIIIIT! OH ZULRAV SAVE ME!" The pain hit him like a ton of rocks and he was curled up in a ball at the foot of the tree. He let out a noise that could only be described as pained growl. He began kicking the tree repetitively with his right foot screaming profanities in every language he knew. "Petching…, EAGLE SHIT!" Alwin watched his companion silently and after watching his long line of profanities and hearing much worse in Kellan's mind he decided to intervene. "Kicking inanimate objects is not going to get you anywhere expect possibly in Caiyha's bad graces. Although, who am I to know? We need to get you back to Wind Reach. Can you hold onto my back if we fly." Kellan glared at him upside down from his pained resting place on the grass. "DOES IT LOOK LIKE I CAN HOLD ON?" Alwin snapped his beak defensively and flapped his wings in anger. "There is no reason to get catty with me Kellan. You were the one who wanted to fly so fast. I am merely trying to help. You can be quite the spoiled brat at times." Kellan's gold eyes burned into Alwin's side and he bared his teeth at him like an angry dog. "You do not scare me. You need to get back to town before you hurt yourself again." Alwin walked to Kellan's side and lowered his head to allow Kellan to have a place to pull himself up on. "Thanks Al… Sorry." Alwin snapped his beak in satisfaction and looked at Kellan. "Thank you. Now rip your shirt. You are going to need to put your arm in a sling until someone can treat you." Kellan looked at Alwin and then looked at his shirt. "Can you rip it off? I can't get it off without… shit, moving my arm." Alwin leaned forward and bit down on the collar of Kellan's shirt. With a jerk of his neck he ripped the fabric off. Kellan reached forward with his good arm and took an end of the shirt in his teeth and the other in his hand. After about ten chimes of struggle Kellan was able to fashion a very badly made sling for his arm. He looped it over his head and winced as his lifted his arm to get it in the sling. "Dira, just take me now." Alwin extended a wing and hit Kellan in his good side. "Don't speak like that." Kellan glared at Alwin and then walked to his side. "Come on Al, let's get home."
Daylight again, following me to bed
I think about a hundred years ago, how my fathers bled
I think I see a valley, covered with bones in blue
All the brave soldiers that cannot get older been asking after you
Hear the past a calling, from Valterian's side
When everyone's talking and no one is listening, how can we decide?
Kellan Lucia
5'6 OF GINGER FURY!!!!!

Words: 113386
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Flicker on December 12th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Character: Kellan
Skill Experience Award: Riding[Eagle]+3 XP, Hunting+1 XP, Weapon[Bow]+2XP

Lores: Alwin's Patience, Falling off a Wind Eagle, Breaking an Arm, Attempting to shoot from Eagle back, Alwin May be Right, Freeing the Feathers

Comments: Kellan has fractured his humerus; healing will take six weeks, three of which must be in a sling. If I missed something, feel free to communicate with me via PM or office.
For the GingieBreadHeads ...or those amongst them

Flicker
WHOA! Whatwasthat?!

Words: 59097
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Staff account
Office