Solo The World Wants to be Deceived...

Ayszel flees the mountains to Lhavit and spends the day on a Lhavitian tour.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

The World Wants to be Deceived...

Postby Ayszel on October 27th, 2015, 1:31 am

42nd, Fall, 515 AV

What in the PETCH is this white cold crap?! Ayszel cursed, scowling through the flaps of her tent at the wretchedly cold thing swirling over the landscape. It had accumulated enough in the night that the fireplace was thoroughly covered and could only be made out by the bumps of white over the ring of rocks. The packs were decorated with little white caps and the horse’s heads were hung snuffling the top of it curiously while the white skittering substance stole a free ride on their backs. Now the slowness of the voices in the plants made sense, they were tucking all their energy away, slowing down their metabolisms in preparation for the cold. Nothing living can survive this cold.

She gazed at the blue and yellow lights in the distance, the same lights that had been the focus of her hallucination the night before. Whatever city that is…may be my only hope… She realized. A Dhani can’t survive in cold like this, we are bred for the warmth of the south The cold had already made her eyelids heavy and sleep was a tentacle sliding up her spine. Every cities slaves we got look like humans…so…she realized with cold dread what that meant. It meant there was a use for her new form.

It’s the only way to blend without alerting them. But the form is too weak to move through the cold completely naked… she considered thoughtfully, resentment for its useful as acrid as yesterdays vomit. I’ll need clothes, of which I have none. Gazing about her she frowned, the tent was the only thing with enough fabric to cover her entirety and she had used the last of her sewing string for dinner last night. She would have to tie it at the waist to hold it shut, she decided, uncoiling the net. The rough thick rope did not yield to her dulling knife very easily and it took several bells before she had hacked through it and had a rope long enough to tie around her center.

Stepping out into the snow in bare feet was unbearable, making her skitter through the campsite. Pulling her legs up to and away from the snow as fast as her limited control of her new limbs would allow she looked like a gangly wobbly deer dancing over mud during their first rainy season, unnerved by the texture and sucking sound. It was this image that danced through her mind as she danced across the mountaintop.

The tent came down with relative ease. Less easy was ripping open the end opposing the open doorway with the dull eating knife. Finally, she was able to stick her head through one hole and her arms through two others. Though the tent was long enough that it dragged on the ground, protecting her legs from the cold gusts, it didn’t protect her numb feet. Glancing about, eyes widening with desperation, she grabbed at anything within reach that would save her numbing feet. Unfortunately, that was only the horses side. A brush of her hand over the snowy back rid the fur of the substance but it remained cold and wet despite her attempts. She grabbed a handful of hair and yanked herself up, legs flailing as she tugged herself against her warm form.

She lay there, teeth chattering faintly and eyes squeezed tight, until the pain began to fade from her feet. The tent lay over her entire body and over her feet, keeping the wind from them but doing nothing for defence from the cold. Fortunately, the shorter of the mares was still trussed up in her pack saddle. As bewildered by the cold as she was, Ayszel guided the horse with relative ease using an image of her standing next to the packs. Reaching down, one hand grasping the taller mares mane so tightly they would have gone white if the cold had not already stolen the colour, Ayszel grasped one pack and yanked it up settling it into the holding net she had fashioned on either side of the pack saddle. She didn’t know how to tie knots, or properly pack animals and so she had made two net bags permanently attached to the saddle in which the packs could be placed. I am brilliant. she decided. Though the actions had been born of ignorance they proved enormously useful in this situation. Oh Siku, the luck you have granted me will not be forgotten! she prayed in elation as she settled the second back on the other side of the mare.

Fortunately the snow had coated the grass abbreviating that which might distract them from their path and so they listened to her gentle mental indications. Down the long hill they slowly plodded, and toward the brilliant cities whose hopeful warmth was as powerful as the reality of it.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on October 27th, 2015, 3:46 am

The city all but disappeared from view as she descended, following the river, into the bowels of the mountains once again. While the snow had stopped falling for now the wet hair was beginning to soak through the tent several bells later. Each time she pulled her legs toward her, trying to reach down and warm her feet, she would begin to list dangerously to one side and be forced to reach out for a scarap of mane for balance. Petch…petch…petch she whispered to herself as the rocking of the horse began to make her legs ache from their clenching. I was not made to spread my legs like this… she moaned to herself.

What had felt like several days was truly over by lunch time. She strolled, face pale with exhaustion and her fingers so tangled only a knife could remove them from the horses hair, in a deep narrow valley between two steep walls of stone. Stone that had once felt familiar and solid, and her dominion on it absolute was no revealed to be the naivety of youth. No reimancer could control this stone… she decided, staring up at the steep path that would lead her into the city. I hope it’s not as treacherous as it looks… she prayed. Even in her fear, she could not have grasped the mane any tighter had she the will.

Small steps came upon her, blending into its surroundings so thoroughly she wouldn’t have noticed it save for the glittering shack beside it. A man leaned against the threshold gazing out at her from under a heavy tunic. So delirious with the cold and misery of her discovery of snow he could very well have grown into a Myrian and rushed at her with a bloody spear and she would still have been gleeful.

“Someone…” She whispered to herself.

“My gosh! You must be just freezing my dear!” He exclaimed, his words aching with such worry and fright that they whisked the fear that she would be discovered right out from under her. Remembering herself a moment later, she was glad she had whispered.

“Oh I am…thank you!” She exclaimed, in her best ‘lady in distress’ voice as he hobbled toward her offering a cloak and an arm. Better a useless distressed doll of a girl than what I really am… she decided, though she worried her whining was tempered by her unmistakable mass. Even a limp rag of fabric could hide that.

“Come inside for a moment and warm up.” He insisted, before seeing her whitening fingers. Without another word, beyond a tense face, he reached out and slowly worked her fingers as loose as he could. I don’t feel anything… Ayszel thought, too happy to see the promise of potential warmth to worry about its meaning. Slowly, he drew a small penknife from his side and reached toward her wrists. Instinctively, she flinched away before allowing him to work the blade against the tough hair and extract her hands.

Easing her off the warm wet hide and placing a hand on her back he guided her toward the shack while taking the leads in his hands. He tied them to an overhanging limb with one hand and as much ease as she would have slithered before disappearing with her into the humid heat of his hovel.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on October 27th, 2015, 4:37 am

She had thought thawing would be a pleasant experience. It most certainly was not. It began as needle pricks that slowly bloomed into rosettes of swirling pain that danced along the lengths of her legs in merry strides. Petch you legs… She swore, though a part of her smiled, at least at was my legs and not my tail…

“It’s not often we see travellers, certainly not this time of year. Although admittedly, they do all look in as bad a shape by the time they get here.” He joked pouring her a cup of tea that had already been brewed, and fairly recently if the voluptuous amount of steam was any indication. With his hood pulled back she could see his face was flushed with red from the cold.

He’s asking a question…subtly…asking where I’m from and how I got here? She thought, though her common was far too weak to reply, whether she had wanted to or not.[/i] “Mine common…” she stated, confusing possessives, “Issss” She stretched out the ss’s by reflex but focused on giving her human face muscles a confused expression, with moderate success, as if searching for the next words, “not good. Do you have clothing? It is cold and mine were…” she searched for the word for destroyed for some time before adding, “hurt?” Gazing at her for a silent moment he eventually sighed and smiled, “of course my dear.” She didn't think to consider that her request was too forward or out of place. She was a woman and he a man after all.

He seems to buy it…perhaps my accent isn’t strong enough to give me away. She supposed, hoping he didn’t know the accent of the Dhani common. However, his silence had forewarned her. She was certainly in distress and unprepared for the weather, but it was no silly girl who could find her way through the mountains. She knew it. He knew it. But neither dare fess to the truth. Hm…perhaps humans do have a touch of Siku in them.. Ayszel granted, impressed with the level of control he exerted over his face.

“My name is Hachia Koat." He offered, and continued with Ayszel met the silent question with a blank stare. She knew what he wanted, but she dare not yet give it. "People often leave clothes here, or other presents, in thanks for a respite from the cold or the trip to Lhavit.” He continued, his grace of person evidently the reason he had been chosen for the position, Ayszel decided.

“Oh? Must I give too?” She asked, understanding the words ‘in thanks’. Ah, so the cities name is Lhavit.. Even her mind tripped over the pronunciation of the word.

“Oh no, no, no doll…It doesn’t look like you have much to give anyway.” He replied as he drew out a pair of men’s leather boots and a heavy fur lined coat, characteristic of the Inartans (Not that Ayszel could distinguish the style). Glancing between them and her several times he finally handed them to her, deciding it was large enough to accommodate her.

“Miza?” She asked as she received them, smiling at him overly enthusiastically in her attempt to appear comfortable and feminine in his presence.

“Don’t worry about it.” He replied, looking at her with a face that twisted of pity. It was an expression she rarely saw in Zinrah and she would have missed it completely if it hadn’t been the look on her brother’s face when she had left. Turning away from her, he allowed her to change in privacy. A polite courtesy among humans but one that caught Ayszel off guard.

“Much thanks,” she replied, instead of betraying her confusion, as she untied the rope from her abdomen and reached her arms up and around to yank off the filthy dripping tent. Such generosity when I wear their skin… she realized, watching him out of the corner of her eye. A hiss of pain escaped her gritted lips as she struggled to pull the tunic on. "Are you alright miss?" He asked. "F-fine," She finished as she tucked the tunic over her breasts and stomach. Showing him I'm hurt is risky...I may yet have to flee.. she reasoned.

Glancing at the boots and coat that she had lain over the chair at her side she extended her hand to accept each article of clothing he extended behind him. The breeches came on easily and fastened at her hip bone easily. The socks were thick and white and pulled up to her knees, just above the rim of the boots she pulled on next. The fur was well worn but incredibly soft, and the leather was supple with age. However, her fingers were still clumsy from the cold and she struggled with the buttons that fastened it up along the slide for a few chimes before his hands met them and began fastening.

Standing upright while he worked on her boots she gazed about the small hut, taking in the warmth of the cottage. It pressed intimately against her bare skin and caressed her prominent nipples into submission. As if saying it was alright to back to sleep on her body. The cottage was mostly barren, with only a rough cot and several wardrobes to mark its walls. However, Ayszel didn't consider it barren or minimalist like most humans would have. It looked very much like the caves at home.

She felt more and more awake the longer she remained in the warmth of the cabin and she hoped all of the city was like this. It was the only thought that made up for leaving the mountains so quickly. She had made promises to Caiyha, promises that not only her arm bore but now her side. Eventually she had donned all the layers and tied the cloak around her shoulders and fastened it at her left breast with three tin buttons.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on October 28th, 2015, 2:35 am

“You must.” She insisted, thrusting Miza into his chest. She had no idea what the clothing she was wearing was worth and she hoped she had neither insulted him nor was wasting her money with how much she offered. Would Miza even mean anything here? She had no idea, and she hoped the gesture was enough if they were worthless. Of course, she didn’t consider the costs of living, in Zinrah the nest cared for its own and there was little need for money to cover ones necessities.

“Thank you, but I insist you take it. I have enough garb to house.” He added, gesturing the cabinet behind him. “Are you warming up?” His question was an obvious distraction even to Ayszel and her limited common.

“Much, yes.” She relinquished, hugging the clothes tighter to her form as a silent appreciative thanks.

“You won’t be able to bring the horses with you.” He informed her apologetically, “They won’t be able to manoeuvre the steep slopes or the streets of Lhavit.”
She furrowed her brow at him and shook her head. What did he say about the horses?

“Your animals,” he indicated by pointing through the wall at them, “no walk up steep hill.” His ease at communicating within her limitations astounded her. I suppose it must come from years of practice with foreigners like me…

“Oh…” she murmured, although none too sadly. They had been great company on the trek but a part of her longed to be rid of all that reminded her of home, and they were another strand that tied her to it.

“They’re from Falyndar,” he added. She looked up alarmed and shook her head quickly. Does he know? If he knew he would have fled or threatened me already.

“Don’t worry, we have nothing against you Myrians, despite the stories.” He replied bringing his finger to his lips, to communicate his intent. It wasn’t often he saw someone from Falyndar. While Lhavit seemed to accept them with relative grace, provided they behaved, he himself was more than a mite curious and having a few of their steeds was a nice little foreign piece of beauty. Heat rose to Ayszels cheeks at the word Myrian, He thinks me one of them!? and almost spoke out of turn, giving herself away.

“And what of Dhani?” Perhaps I reveal too much?

“We are friendly to all those who are friendly to us. But I doubt the Shinya would look all too fondly on those reptilian monsters. You needn’t worry about seeing your enemy in the city.”

Hmm..he thought I was asking to avoid Dhani…well my assumptions were correct then, I should fear revealing my true form. I can’t believe they would allow Myrians in their city and not Dhani. Not that we would want any part of their city if we had any choice, only Myrians would willingly walk away from the jungle…

“I will buy your horses from you seeing as you can’t take them up. I do that sometimes when travelers come. I can always find a use for them at the bottom of the mountain. Besides, yours are pretty little things.” He added, returning to the previous topic. Ayszel nodded, understanding only the gist of what he said. The faintly greedy glint in his eye was information enough and so she pocketed the money with little guilt.

“You will come to tea? When I get home here. You will visit?” She asked, “I will give you tea and have your clothes back. For the next unlucky traveler like me.” She nodded firmly. I should repay his kindness in like, and perhaps he can tell me how the creatures are doing…

“That sounds lovely, just send a runner with a letter with a day and time that works for you.” Acquiescing graciously he pointed out the door toward the horses. “Names?”

“Oh. None. We do not name. They are themselves. That is all.” She replied awkwardly explaining a complex cultural ideology with the meagre words at her disposal.

“Oh.” He was obviously puzzled by the statement, but was trying his best to curb his curiosity with the polite disposition inherent to all born and bred Lhavitians; the characteristic that she would soon learn to love most about Lhavit, subconsciously reminding her of home and being soothingly familiar.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 4:50 am

Ayszel nodded and together they moved outside to brave the cold once again. Kissing each horse on the tip of their muzzle they lipped her gently while Hachia unpacked her two bags from the pack saddle and dragged them, with impressive strength for a human, over to the edge of his shack.

“Now you can meet my steed,” He waved her over. Behind the shack stood the most marvellous creature Ayszel had ever seen. A black harness contrasted darkly with her tantalizingly white plush fur. Her eyes were dark and large, gazing at Ayszel with remarkable intelligence. Twisting glass horns rose in a spiralling staircase from between two large ears that had perked towards her when she appeared. A deep recognition rang between them when Ayszel touched her mind gently. It was warmer than others, almost hot to the touch. Her mind was temperate and still compared to the minds of wild creatures, but more agile and nimble than the minds of the domesticated horses at her back.

“What is she?” Ayszel asked with deep reverence. This creature is as radiant as the stars Ayszel thought, having been equally as startled by their presence.

“She’s an Okomo. They are sacred creatures to Lhavit, given to us by Caiyha.” He remarked, his hand running along her soft face, “Would you like me to tell you the story on our way up?” He offered, noting her unmistakable fascination. Ayszel nodded as he fastened the bags to each side of the massive beast. If something so sacred is a gift from Caiyha then if I say I am a witch they will have no trouble allowing me in. she decided, much more relaxed now that she realized how truly easy it was going to be to trick them into allowing her into the cities confines. She appreciated the cloak enormously in that moment. There was no other way to disguise her magic but a backpack and a heavy cloak that might explain the awkward lay of the clothing.

Ayszel sat in front of him perched precariously upon the Okomo. Her hands were embedded in the long soft strands of the Okomos coat, a moment she would have given more significance if she hadn’t been so petrified. She could hardly hear the story through the rush of blood in her ears. The pathway up was so steep there were several places were the Okomo was forced to lunge from one step to another, too high for her legs to reach without a lunge. Ayszel shut her eyes each time, praying to Semele that her stones not be the death of her. Each time, Hakia wrapped his arms securely around each of her sides, holding her into the saddle with each stomach churning leap.

“After the Valterrian, Lhavit became isolated from the rest of the world. The denizens had even then been loyal patrons of Syna and Leath and so upon hearing their cries of dismay they each sent an ambassador. The Ethaefal-“

Ayszel almost interrupted the story to ask what the Ethaefal were, but in truth she was not that curious. She wished to know of the Okomo, and wasn’t about to halt the story or distract from it.

“They were the advisors of the denizens and they helped them adapt to the new world. As they moved into the mountains they discovered the fallen Goddess Zintila. Zintila is the goddess of the stars and the protector of Lhavit. She was so grateful for her discovery and care after being separated from her mother Semele she gave her most devoted Lhavitian worshippers the tools they would need to make a new city. You will see shortly what that gift was. Caiyha, with her enormous heart, felt terrible for the fallen goddess and so she granted her a creature made after the very stars she had fallen from; the Okomo.” He finished, with a quiet sigh as he ran affectionate fingers through the white fur.

How can he know so much about the Godesses and their business? I knew nothing of Zintila or that she was Semele’s daughter…oh Semele…to be separated from your daughter…no wonder the mountains here are so treacherous, they have been built upon your agony and your desire to protect her from the outside world… Ayszel frowned.

“You didn’t enjoy the story?”

“Oh no! Thank you. It is so very sad though…” Ayszel murmured.

With that, he let silence descend upon them as they began the last leg of the climb.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 5:01 am

An elaborately carved gate appeared before them as they mounted the last crest. It was made of unmelting ice it appeared, ice that sparkled unnaturally under Synas attention. It would take a talented reimancer to do such carving she pondered. All of the carving in Zinrah was done largely with geomancy and aquamancy and so she presumed this too would be the case here.

“That glass is called Skyglass,” Hachia explained, “It was what we build almost everything from in Lhavit. It is what Zintila gave her worshipers.” He finished, placing the last piece into the story. So it is not magic? It’s created by a goddess? Ayszel questioned, the material did not take her breath away as it should have she guessed by the quiet frown that touched his lips.

There were four guards before the gate, making Ayszels stomach and chest tighten anxiously. However, their smiles were warm and welcoming as she approached. A response she had not expected. Perhaps it is because I am with Hachia…they certainly wouldn’t greet the average stranger so kindly…” She rationalized, although it still seemed odd. The tunnel guards in Zinrah certainly wouldn’t react this way no matter what Dhani came escorting a stranger.

"Hail, what brings you to Lhavit?"

“I am Witch, sent by Caiyha.” She added the last part to clarify, taking some creativity with the words sent by. [i]They welcome the Okomo who were sent by Caiyha…it is the safest reason for the little I know of the city…

It was that easy. The doors opened and the guards nodded her into the brilliant city. “Goodbye” she murmured to the Okomo. “Goodbye,” she said again in the direction of the generous gate keeper. “I will see you soon to return your belongings.” She added.

“Oh no, we’ll come with you. We can drop your bags off at the Cosmos Center and get you introduced. They will help you bring your bags to wherever you decide to stay.” He offered stepping across the threshold. She didn’t realize how relieved she was for his presence until the door shut behind him.

Built along the side of several mountains the city was as winding, narrow and steep as the tunnels of home for which she was unconsciously grateful for…if it weren’t for her legs which seemed to buckle under her each time she tried to descend the steep stairways.

“You may ride her, if that is easier?” Hachia offered, noting her instability and attributing it to exhaustion. Gratefully she grasped the long thick hide and hoisted herself up onto the creature. Straddling its back with her stomach she slowly slid her leg around cursing, “Petch!” when it got caught on the large packs attached by his flanks. Wiggling her foot helplessly she glanced over her shoulder
trying to see how it had managed to get caught up in it all.

“Wait, wait. Let me help.” The man insisted moving towards her legs. Taking her ankle in one hand he gently manoeuvred it out of the straps. “there you go.” Heat flushed her cheeks as she finished swinging over. It was much different riding Okomo than the horses, and much different riding her without him. However, there were many handholds for her to tangle her fingers into and as they made their way down the street and her legs were much appreciative of the rest.

They didn’t make a single turn, but simply plodded down and up the dipping curving streets of Lhavit. Even without a turn by the time they arrived at the massive glowing building Ayszel was hopelessly disoriented.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 5:27 am

She was left outside as Hachia and Ayszel moved toward the building that was presumably the Cosmos Center he had mentioned. Ayszel now understood why he had bragged so about the Skyglass, it seemed as if everything in Lhavit was made from the stars and a natural warmth seemed to exude from the material, clearing the streets of snow and warming the general area.

The man pointed to the shining dome of the hall before them, stopping in the middle of the street, “That is the Cosmos center, it has the brightest light in all Lhavit. While you explore you should keep it in mind, you can always orient yourself to it.” He suggested, offering her a hand to dismount. She gazed at it for a moment weight the options. At home the men are subservient and I would have no trouble taking his hand to help me off. It would be a gesture of servitude not a gesture of superior strength or pretention. Growing up in a city as politically rife as this, though many regarded her people as violent and uncultured there were deep threads of culture and etiquette sewn into the fabric of their world. It was just more brutal than most. Well…I have played the weak girl until now.. She decided and took his hand with a face full of as much bright eyed innocence as she could muster and swung her right leg over the front of the long horned creature. Sitting sideways she slowly lowered herself off the edge of the tall beast and fell feet first to the ground. Her tail would have coiled to absorb the impact but she wasn’t yet sure how her legs could do the same and she hit it straight legged with a resounding shudder through her body. Struggling not to wince she nodded a thank you to the man and dropped his hand quickly. “Thank you.”

“They will help you navigate the city, buy some clothes,” he added jokingly, “and find a place to stay.” He continued, “I’ll drop your packs off here and once you’ve found a place you can come back here and get them.” He added. They’ll help…and something about my packs. She thought, not comprehending the full intricacies of what he was saying. He evidently saw the confusion on her face and tried again, “I’ll take your packs in.” He said hoisting one onto his shoulder and pointing at the building. “you can come back,” he made a walking motion with his fingers, “and grab them later.” He pointed at her and then the packs and then at the moon and traced its path toward its night time resting place.

Nodding appreciately she repeated the words back to him carefully, “I can get packs….later. when the sun is gone?” He nodded, assuring her she had interpreted correctly and together they entered the broad-doored establishment. The interior was simple and made primarily of wood, a soft cinammony smell that wafted past her face and made her stomach rumble blearily. Those few little minnows had hardly been enough to satiate her enormous hunger for the day, let alone the next.

A particularly blond female gestured for them to join her at its edge almost the moment they entered. Moving toward her, Hachia stayed at her back. It was unnecessary, she thought, I’ve lived in fear my entire life. It is part of life itself. They did not know me by sight at the gates, they will not know me by sight here. However, when the woman started talking and Ayszel could not understand a word she understood why he remained.

“She doesn’t speak common very well. I’ll help if I can.” He explained, his presence obviously denoting a foreigner.

“Of course,” she nodded, slowing her speech.

“What is your name hon?” Her voice was so sweet Ayszel felt it squirming irritatingly along her spine.

Ayszel hesitated for a moment. Dhani names were integral to their identity and she already felt vulnerable and she couldn’t bring herself to give them her name. It might betray what I am…or who I am… she reasoned, although in truth she felt a new name was perfect for her new body. This body did not deserve her Dhani name.

“….L-Litka…of the Blooded Fang Clan,” She eventually replied slowly, speaking the name of her mothers murderer for the first time in several decades. It brought her gross pleasure to place that name on this new form and to be known by this hated identity in a city that would never be hers. The woman glanced up at her for a moment, making Ayszels breath catch, did she know she was lying? But her face betrayed nothing but welcome as she looked down at the paper. It will keep me myself so I don’t lose myself in this human body…it will remind me of the treachery of these people… she decided, already feeling some affection for the man at her back. She was a creature of community, as was the nest in Zinrah. Her body keened for a sense of community while her mind was repulsed by the humans before her.

“Oh! A Myrian! We don’t often see your people this far north,” The receptionist said, trying to make polite chit chat.

“M..mhm..” Ayszel replied, with no desire to speak much longer with the peppy ball of light this woman exuded.

“She’ll need a full tour, housing and probably a job. I think she intends to stay for some time.” Hachia explained for her.

“Of course,” the receptionist practically exclaimed, her blond hair bouncing about her face as she bobbed. Ringing a sharp little bell she brought a boy in from the front. His face and shirt were covered in a layer of garden dirt which he was hastily trying to brush off.

“You’re at work…you shouldn’t go off ruining your clothes like that. You’re mother won’t be happy,” she scolded in an attempted whisper, although it appeared her voice didn’t know how to talk in anything but a loud happy chirp.

“Sorry ma’am,” He soothed with his words, while his perked body showed no signs of remorse.

“You will be showing Litka about today. She needs a full tour and a place to live.” She explained, before dismissing the boy towards Ayszel.

“This is Oishi Sakana, he will show you Lhavit and help you find a place to stay.” She explained before flouncing off to another task.

“Thank you Hachia. I will be happy to dinner,” She added graciously as he lifted her packs behind the desk for safe keeping.

“Look forward.” He explained, “You look forward to dinner. As do I. Good luck Litka,” He winked as his wide frame was swallowed by sunlight.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 5:30 am

Ayszel gazed down at the boy and followed him out the door at his indication. He gazed up at her with incredulous fascination. If any boy had seen a Myrian before it would have been him but if he had seen any, he had obviously not seen many. The attention made Ayszel shift with discomfort and she barked a brusque order, “Stop.” She told the boy, who turned his eyes away from her obediently. “Sorry,” He bowed politely.

“Uhm…tour?” She asked, attempting to distract him from his fascination.

“Oh uhm yes…” His nose crinkled as his eyes squeezed shut thinking hard. Obviously he was not as capable as the gate man at working with someone with such limited common.

“L-locations…uhm…places…how to not get lost? No lost?” He eventually stuttered out.

“Yes. No lost.”

“Well if you want to buy anything on our tour you’ll need to get some Kina. We use Kina instead of Miza, but they are worth the same amount.” He assured her, “Just go over there.” He pointed toward a small portly banker. Ayszel followed his instructions like a stiff puppet and handed over her bag of plentiful Miza’s. The money she got in return was far more beautiful than she had expected. A dance of gold, blue and green before her eyes. She reached out and eyed each individually.

“That blue one there is a Kina. It’s worth one gold Miza.” He explained It was a pale aquamarine, reminding her of the baths beneath the caves. The next was a rough gold she had never seen before, it was nothing like the sun, or gold, or anything else she could muster into memory. “That one is a topaz Kina, it is worth one silver Miza.” The last was an opaque pale green, like some species of moss. “That is a Jade Kina, it’s worth one copper Miza.”

“Thank you.” She nodded, pocketing the clinking bag into her empty backpack. It even clinks differently, like stone, not like metal. The thought made her smile, I much prefer this lighter quieter form, and what a subtle honour to Semele. She thought to herself.

“Begin?” She instigated as they moved out of the bright interior into the even brighter air. The day was only just truly beginning and yet the streets were already slithering with people.

“So there are 5 mountains that make up Lhavit. We are on the southmost mountain, Sartu.” The plump cheeked boy began with the ease of long practice before hesitating, “Do you understand?”

“Yes. 5 Mountains…uhm Sartu this mountain.”

“Yes!” He exclaimed making her flinch and her pride bubble angrily. I’m not a nitwit… However, even though the young was not her kin, she felt a suppressed affection for the round cheeked face that reminded her of the snakelings exuberance.

“So, we will work our way north through each mountain; Tenten, Zintia, Shinyama, and Sharai and see the main locations in each. As we go we can look for work for you, get some food and clothes and we can visit some of the residences.” He reached into a small pack at his waist and handed her a long and narrow thick pamphlet. The images were line stamps with slight smudges made from the rushed replication. Each image was a singular colour but each image had been dipped in a different ink to add some colour, representative of the spectacular sparkle and shine of the city. The paper was thick and of moderate quality with a pale cream opalescence that made the stark black brush strokes that formed the bold round letters shiver on the pages.

“This will help after. It has a simple map of Lhavit on the back,” he demonstrated with a well-worn demo he had pulled out as well, “and a description of the roles of the major locations we will be visiting. Ayszel gazed down at the pamphlet, flipping through it slowly and glancing at the pastel coloured stamps showing domed buildings with arching colonnades. “and it has the money conversion too, while you get used to counting colours.” He explained, the colours often confused the newcomers who were used to the metameric metallics of the Miza. Each was marked with a round stamp of colour, their names and equivalencies.

“We’ll start by going to the Tranquil port, the other entrance to the city. It is a fairly long walk so we can go over the laws and some history of Lhavit.” The boy explained clearly, puffing his chest with self importance. Ayszel chuckled to herself as she followed him, her eyes glancing at the passerby’s warily and shouldering her backpack, heavy with only her grimoire, onto both shoulders.

“So you may not kill or steal or cause any harm. You may not use magic unlawfully. You must re-.” he stopped himself and glanced at her before slowing down his rapid prattle and repeating his words slowly. “You have to register, and update the records in the Wizards’ Registry. We will go there later.” Ayszel winced, she was loathe to tell the city of her magic but the sign of overgiving was written all over her arm. Doesn’t mean I can’t lie… she immediately decided , memory casting back to the night on the mountaintop, I will never use my magic in the service of another city, only in the service of Caiyha…

“You can only marry once-“

“One person at a time?!” Ayszel gasped in surprise.

“Y-yes…and only one person ever…” he murmured quietly, staring at her with shocked wide eyes, “we do not allow broken promises here…” He added scathingly. She frowned.

“No public disruptions. No looting or riots, and Okomo are sacred and protected by divi-….and you can’t harm them.” He explained, obviously thinking over his words carefully. Little did she know he had skipped many of the laws. They were laws he didn’t usually tell new residents. They lead to too many questions that weren’t of particular importance to the new resident. His mother preferred her tour guides shared every minute detail but Oishi thought otherwise, an argument they had had many times. However, her lack of dominion over common made him all the firmer on his platform. His green eyes shivered with excitement and his faintly buck teeth peeked out from his mouth even when his mouth was closed.

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 5:33 am

“Our main form of industry…we sell mainly tea. We have whole farms of it. You’ll get to see it in at sunset, when it looks the prettiest, cause it’s at the end of our tour.” He explained. They were descending a narrow pathway. On either side were thick rounded colonnades and tall wavering shops and homes. The smell of salt had descended upon them as the wind was moving in from the west where the ocean lay. I’ve never smelt something quite like it… She thought, unsure whether or not she liked the scent. While it was fresh and salty, cutting through the sweat and swelter of people, it also smelled faintly of fish and death and she hoped this part of the tour would find its end quickly.

The boy ducked through the passages easily and quickly, such that Ayszel often distracted by the sights and smells around her had to keep up a jaunt to keep up. Glancing over her shoulder she saw that what Hachia had said was true, the domed roof and spire of the Cosmos center marked the very center of the Sartu mountain and was disappearing behind them very slowly as they descended.
Carved cornice decorated the path they tread like a little white railing over their heads. Watching them made her vaguely dizzy but also helped her remember the path as each was particularly unique and some with a pattern or colour so bizarre or ostentatious she couldn’t help but remember them.

“The Traquil Port, where we are going, is the hub of Svefra, Charoda, and Fishermen. It is our source of fish and trade. Our boats foreigners say are remarkable and unique. They’re best seen at dawn and dusk, as that’s when the sailors come in with their catches. Otherwise they’re too far out to see usually. But we might see one in the docks if we’re lucky.” He explained as they rounded the last bend. Stretched out before them both were long planks of wood that stretched out in wide pathways into the water. It was piercingly silent, disturbingly so.

“Yes, so…this isn’t the best time to come as they’re all out at sea.” He gestured, pointing to the horizon, though there was nothing but faint specks to be seek through the glaring sun, still fairly low in the sky. Ayszel followed him, astonished by his professionalism, even if she only understood every third word.

“Sorry. Why no boats?”

“Oh. Boats left. To fish. They be here Early and Late.” He explained. She nodded eventually.

“Ahh…”

The dock wreaked of fish. “Shall we leave then?” her nose wrinkled.

“Oh! There’s one!”He said delighted, oblivious to her discomfort. Darting away from her and down the docks, she followed at a much lazier pace, her feet and legs still aching from the long morning and the cold. Perhaps I thought too soon…

A fisherman, beard long and gruff about his mouth and nose, moved about the hull of a small vessel. It has a long dramatic mast settled about the massive lodgepole shooting vertically toward the sky, as if it intended to spear the stars.

“Beautiful boat,” She stated, a simultaneous apology for the childs exuberance and a compliment.

“Indeed,” was all the fisherman said, in a heavy accent too distorted for Ayszel to hear beyond a grunt.

“The boats here are made from special trees called Fadeong, we will see them later. They make the boats this red purple colour.” He explained, gesturing the unique tint of the hull.

“That is the tree colour?” Ayszel questioned, radical disbelief calling the boy a blatant liar.

“Mhm!” he nodded proudly.

“Hm…” Was all she dare reply. Well he is a child after all…children fantasize

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayszel on November 18th, 2015, 5:50 am

“Alright, so the next places we will see are on the first page of your pamphlet.” He stated, drawing erect as he resumed his rehearsed monologue. The first image was a purple outline of a ship with a massive sail, obviously indicating where they were now. Her eyes moved down over the next image. It was a domed building that looked remarkably like the cosmos center on the first page of the pamphlet but without the long spire and was much narrower at the base.

“That is …Observatory?”

“Yes, and unfortunately, it is in the exact opposite direction of the Port, but it also means we can talk about what kind of job you would like and what kind of home.” He explained as they slowly began the long steep ascent up the mountain. Ayszel lingered back, her eyes meandering up the long path they had just descended before sighing heavily and following.

By the time they reached The Iraltus Observatory Ayszel was thoroughly out of breath and losing her meagre reserves of patience, The entire tour had better be more skilfully organized than this… she cursed, or it will be continuing without me. However, admittedly, the structure before her was as beautiful as the rest of Lhavit. Though she preferred the caves of Zinrah, the elaborate arches and pathways reminded her of cave openings and though many of the paths were wide and open many yet were narrow and tight with long thick arches overreaching the streets and tightening around her in a welcoming embrace.

She was surprised by how much she liked the city already. For the first time since she had left Zinrah the press of animals and plants in her mind was complete and total. It was as comforting as the kneading pressure of a back massage. Despite the cold, there was a pouring of plants and birds from the various gardens throughout the city. Ayszel would have liked to stop and examine them more carefully but she didn't think she'd get her legs back up under her if she stopped.

"This is the Iraltus Observatory, you can make an appointment to see the rest of it another day if you like. You can see the stars here like nowhere else in Mizahar...Since that which builds all our buildings and the goddess herself comes from the sky, despite its size it holds a special place in our hearts...The bridge is right this way..." he added as he guided her along a long paved path. He speaks with the voice of an adult...he must be quoting another...

As the left Ayszel glanced over her shoulder at the small building dwindling behind her, [i]Something so small...can be that powerful? Can see the very heavens?
Ayszel wondered for a moment, What I saw...it was beautiful...if it was truly real...but nothing compares to the comfort of land. The arms of Caiyha, the mind of Siku and the heart of Semele. They are more beautiful than the promise of something I can never touch...What draws these people to something they can never touch, never influence... It seemed utterly ridiculous.

"We are leaving Sartu mountain, Tenten is this way." He pointed at the large rise before them. The long thin bridge was barely wide enough for them to walk abreast. Each part of the bridge was carved into elaborate statues depicting a venerable zoo of roaring bears, charging boars, rearing antelopes. It was immaculate. Ayszel dared not even touch a finger to its beauty. It disturbs me...something wicked this way.. she intoned.

-Begin at the Alluvian Academy (meets future employer) on the second tier and then the Temple of the Sun, The Basilika on the way to the Catholican (gets side treated).
DONE TENTEN MOUNTAIN - CROSS BRIDGE

Last edited by Ayszel on November 23rd, 2015, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes