Whispers (open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Whispers (open)

Postby Khiara on December 8th, 2010, 7:52 pm

2nd Day of Winter, morning.

It was winter. The beacons had changed and the mood had shifted. People complained about the cold and the wet, whilst others cuddled closer to each other and took advantage of their situations. The city of Endrykas had a feel of community that came from being closed into family holds during the colder months. It felt like Avanthal.

Khiara loved the new season. She dressed in the same grey dress she'd found at the end of fall, only now she wore her fur lined boots and her coat - opened down the front to let the cool breeze of winter embrace her. It was early, so early the sky was still blue and the sun was only just starting to hint at coming up. She couldn't stay huddled up with Kashik and Vanator, laying awake in their pavilion. Instead, she extracted herself from arms and legs, and made her way to the horses. Vsenri had nickered to her as soon as she approached, tossing his head and snorting in delight. Winter was his domain, and he looked as a true Frostmarch should. His fur had filled in, and was clean and brushed. In snow, he would have been camouflaged. Here, he almost glowed.

"Good morning, my fine friend. I see you can't sleep either. It's not a day for sleeping." She spoke in vani, stroking his muzzle. The past week had been traumatic, hard. Pygmy - no Dhayna - had returned with babes in arms....

Those thoughts hurt. She didn't want to hurt, not today.

Moving to the coral gate, she led Vsenri out and shut it behind him. The striders ignored her, content to sleep or chew quietly. Grasping his mane, Khiara lept up onto the stallion in one smooth movement, settling in with a smile. Goddess it had been forever since she'd riden him. Patting the great white neck in front of her, she urged him into a walk. They moved away from the main street and into the grassland surrounding. A safe field inside the city itself. Unable to resist, she kicked him into a canter, embracing the feel of the chilly breeze in her loose hair. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes for a moment.

Suddenly, she opened them, and Vsenri came to a sharp stop. Together, the winter born duo stared out across the open grassland to the north. Another breeze tugged at them, harder and much colder. Khiara could smell deep snow, and as they breathed steam rose from their mouths. And as quickly as it came, the snap disappeared, leaving the two stunned. Vsenri whinnied softly, ears alert and body trembling. Shaking herself, the vantha turned the horse with a pat.

"I felt her too, the Goddess walks Mizahar, the snows are coming. We are home, Vsenri. One day, maybe, we will show our family Avanthal. But not today." Leading him back to the coral, Khiara slid off and pressed her forehead against his. Kissing his nose, the brunette urged the stallion back inside and shut the gate. The sun had started to lighten the sky, a lovely shade of orange pink and purple.

It was a lovely way to start her birthday.

Heading back to the pavilion, Khiara smiled to herself. Today would be a good day. Today, she would tell a story.
Khiara
Player

Words: 166009
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Whispers (open)

Postby Vanator on December 9th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Vanator stirred in his sleep. He vaguely acknowledge the soft kiss pressed to his lips by Kashik as she slipped from his arms out out of the pile of furs that served as their bed. He had been spooning her, his hand on her belly, as if holding the tiny fetus inside. As his wife padded off to begin her day, the husband noted the coolness at his back that indicated Khiara too had already risen.

As his eyes slid open, he saw the streams of early morning light peering through seams and cracked openings that illuminated spots on the pavilion floor. Others of his family had slipped out of their covers to begin morning chores as well. He lingered a moment as the last of the heat left by Kashik dissipated before throwing the furs aside and climbing from the pile.

Today was Khiara's birhday. There would be a celebration later with the Pavilion, the Brightsmile pavilion invited to honor their unoffically adopted daughter. But Vanator had something he wanted to give her personally, a gift he had purchased in the Fall. The morning was cold, colder than it had been recently. The horseman donned his wool breeches and tunic and pulled his cloak around his shoulders. Finally, he thrust a hand ax through his belt before heading off to the small storage tent where he had stashed the gift.

He knew the Vanthan felt at a disadvantage living among the Drykas and having no martial skills to protect herself. She had mentioned learning the spear, which Kashik surely could train her to use. But Van thought a bow would be something they both could learn together. He needed to work on his archery skills as well.

Pulling the cloak around him to ward off the chill, his breath a gray vapor rising from his nostrils, Van looked around to make sure Khiara was not nearby. Then he entered the tent and uncovered a hidden bow. Van pulled it out and examined it. It was a lighter bow, suitable for his wife as a beginner. But the weapon was made of quality wood with a slight recurve. She would build her shoulders and arms using it. Khiara was already become stronger and leaner as she learned to live like a Drykas, though she still had hints of the soft curves of her northern people.

Seizing the fine bow, Vanator wrapped a blue blanket around it and set out to find his Vanthan wife. He spotted her heading away from the coral. She must have gone for a morning ride. She was becoming more a grassland horsewoman every season.

"Khi!" Van called out, raising his hand in greeting, the bundled gift under his arm. "Khi, come here!" He encouraged as he made his way to her.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Whispers (open)

Postby Khiara on December 9th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Glancing up at the sound of Vanator's voice, Khiara smiled widely, waving back. Turning her steps towards him, the vantha tilted her head slightly as she looked at the bundle of blankets in his arm. It was far to crisp for a morning on the grass...well...for some. What was he doing?

Making her way to her husband, Khiara's eyes swirled a calm and relaxed shade of violet as she reached him. Standing on her toes, the brunette kissed the drykas warmly on the lips, before standing smiling in front of him.

"Good morning, isn't it a beautiful day? I felt Queen Morwen on the breeze this morning, Vsenri felt it too. She's coming Van, across Mizahar, and she's bringing the snows of home with her." The excitement sparkled in her eyes as she spoke, unable to hide her delight with the season. It was the joining of her two lives, and it couldn't be better. Glancing at the blanket again, her smile turned curious, but she said nothing.

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Whispers (open)

Postby Vanator on December 10th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Vanator welcomed Khiara's warm kiss, leaving him with a broad smile. Her bright mood lifted the Drykas and her excitement helped to quell his worry for his new wife, considering the troublesome events of the past tenday or so. His smile did not waver as the Vanthan expressed her joy at the prospect of snow. Winter was difficult in Cyphrus, and the Drykas did their best to move to avoid the worst of it. But snow was a part of the world she had left behind, her home, and he would not cast a shadow on her happiness.

"Indeed, then we will look to our snowbird to show us how to enjoy it!"
He winked at her. "Now, when I woke up, cold on one side by the way,..." Van's smile curled up at one side, "...there was something I knew I was supposed to remember. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to me it was pretty important!" He was near to laughing, his teasing blatant. "Was it my turn to gather dry Zibri chips for the fires? No. Maybe it is your turn!" Vanator then burst out laughing.

Van's hand reached out to take Khiara's, his gold-flecked brown eyes meeting hers as he laughed. "Wait....I remember. It is a special someone's birthday!" The horseman leaned in to kiss his wife again, his hand squeezing hers. He stood straight again, taking the bundled blanket in both hands and holding it out, offering it to her. "Happy birthday my precious snowbird."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Whispers (open)

Postby Khiara on December 11th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Khiara listened as Vanator spoke, blushing guiltily as he teased her about being cold. As he continued on, the vantha realised he was teasing her like one teases a child, as though he'd forgotten her birthday. Her eyes swirled and she laughed with him, poking the drykas in the arm. As he took her hand, the vantha pretended to pout, although she smiled through it, and her eyes lit up as he finally announced he knew it was her birthday. Laughing again as he leaned in to kiss her, Khiara glanced down at the blanket with a smile.

"Vanator, I didn't...I...you really shouldn't have." The brunette said, blushing at the fuss over her. Reality was, she hadn't really said much about the day. Vanator knew when it was, but she'd never openly gone on about it. As she took the package from him, the vantha opened it with a sort of reverence and made a soft sound of delight as her violet eyes beheld the light recurve bow.

"Oh...this is...I..." Her fingertips brushed the wood gently and the corners of her mouth turned upwards. Looking up at him, she smiled widely.

"This is a...a bow isn't it? It's...its so lovely, thank you...but Vanator...I don't know how to use it." Her cheeks flushed again, embarrassed by her lack of skills. If they needed to distract something, or some decorative carving - she was there! But to physically wield a weapon...her private attempts were awkward and silly.

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Whispers (open)

Postby Vanator on December 13th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Vanator smiled as Khiara unwrapped the bow, his grin turning sheepish. "I know its not the most romantic gift..." Actually, to a Drykas, it could be, "...but you are Drykas now, and we all learn to handle some weapon. You may choose something else if you want, I just thought maybe we could learn some archery together, I need work too. We can have one of the better archers work with us. I am tired of trying to chase game down with an ax!" He chuckled, worried now that maybe it was the wrong thing to give his wife. A chilly breeze kicked up, tugging at his hair and the violet and gold streaked hair of the brunette. The cold blast did not seem to phase the Vanthan, while the Drykas hugged his cloak around him tighter.

There were other things he needed to discuss with Khiara. For her to be considered a full, honest Drykas, she would need to bond with a Strider and earn a Windmark. To this point, Vanator had not breached the subject. Vsenri was not only Khiara's mount, but was the last real connection she had with her home and her life in Avanthal. Van felt hesitant to suggest she put the noble Frostmarch aside to take a Strider. He himself still needed to connect with a Strider, after Backlash had been killed during the Fall Hunt. That moment had truly been the last chapter in his "old life." For when Backlash died, he knew the soul of his lost wife Tamar, who dwelt in the Strider, was gone as well. The memory dimmed his smile slightly, his eyes softening. But he would not bring up the subject of a Strider today. Today was his wife's birthday, and she should be made to feel special.

Vanator took Khiara by the hand and lead her towards the cooking fires, he was hungry. "So tell me, my aged wife, what will you be doing today?"
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Whispers (open)

Postby Khiara on December 15th, 2010, 9:48 am

Shaking her head, the vantha clutched the bow close to her, as though he'd made to take it away.

"No, no! It's wonderful! Perfect. You should see some of the archer's in Avanthal..I just...don't want to embarass you if someone else see's me...practicing." Clearing her throat, Khiara smiled. The idea of Vanator running after some wild animal with his ax in hand was amusing - even if the circumstances weren't. There had not been discussion about Backlash's loss yet, and the young brunette wanted to give him time. When Vanator was ready, he would tell her the story. Even now, she could see the light in his eyes fade if only for a moment, before he took her hand and began to walk.

Scoffing in mock insult at his light hearted jibe, Khiara strolled, booted feet leaving soft marks in the dust. The wintery breeze that tugged at her hair was refreshing and sweet, and delighted the snowborn woman. Looking around at the people rising for their day, she smiled.

"Today, I will spend time with my husband and my family, and I will gather certain items for tonight. I would like to tell a story, for the pavilion. Svetic's Great Hunt."

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Whispers (open)

Postby Vanator on December 20th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Reaching the cooking fires, Vanator drew close enough to stretch his hands toward the hot coals, warming them. Khiara seemed unperturbed by the chill in the air, and as gentle and warm as his wife was, he wondered if her Vanthan blood was cold. He nodded to his kinfolk helping themselves to the biscuits and venison laid out next to the fires before turning to Khiara.

"Khi, you could not embarrass me. Everyone starts out a little rough. But your people are archers too, it seems, and I am sure you will pick it up. Then, maybe you and I can go hunting together." He looked at her and gave her an encouraging grin. "Besides, if anyone laughs at you, I will thump them squarely on the head, and Kashik will do worse!" Laughing, Van lightly nudged the brunette.

The Drykas was please to hear that Khiara was planning to tell a story later. Storytelling was an art, one truly appreciated in Endrykas, and he knew that his violet-eyed wife was a talented talebearer. "A story? Yes! I have been hoping you would share some of your tales with the family. But beware, all Drykas love a good story, and once word gets out, more than the family may show up." He reached out a hand. "I can hold the bow while you get yourself something to eat, it is your birthday after all, and you will need your strength, there will be much celebrating today, and tonight." Van winked at his wife.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Whispers (open)

Postby Khiara on December 22nd, 2010, 9:59 pm

Giggling as Vanator's image crossed her mind - him thumping people on the head like some brute and Kashik declaring war on anyone around her. It was an amusing thought. Glancing at the people warming themselves by the fires, Khiara wondered how they handled the real cold. It snowed here, she knew it did. And today it wasn't even genuinely cold. It was chilly, but not cold. Perhaps she could show them how to make the clothing from home. Built specifically to keep the warmth in.

Looking at Vanator as he offered to take her bow, Khiara's eyes widened as he winked at her, a deep blush rising to her face. Handing the bow over, she mumbled something under her breath akin possibly to his name and a request to cut it out. Smiling though, she moved forward to take a plate of food. It was steaming as she retreated back to Vanator, lifting a piece of venison to her mouth and biting it gingerly.

"Goddess, that's hot!" Holding the plate out to her husband, the vantha offered to share what she'd grabbed.

"The more the merrier. I just hope they enjoy it. Avanthal is so far from here, I'm afraid some things might not translate across. Especially for the children. I was going to tell it in vani...but to keep things simple, I will stick to common." The young brunette had already started to teach some of the pavilion vani, but it would be disappointing if some understood and others didn't.

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Whispers (open)

Postby Vanator on December 23rd, 2010, 2:21 pm

Vanator found a guilty delight in making Khiara blush. He would not embarrass the shy Vanthan in front of others, but between the two of them he enjoyed teasing her. It had actually helped in overcoming the awkwardness of their new relationship.

She returned with a plate of hot food, and he directed her to sit with him on a rough hewn bench near the fire. Setting the bow on the bench next to him, he tore a piece of meat from the hunk on his wife's plate, popping it in his mouth. "Thanks." He muttered, trying to keep his mouth open enough to cool the hot morsel resting on his tongue. After swallowing his bite, Vanator nudged Khiara. "I am sure they will love your story. We need to work on your Pavi, then you can tell your tales in our native tongue. I want you to teach me Vani first, so we can talk about others and they won't know what we are saying!" He laughed. "You know that would drive Kashik nuts!" He had guessed, though, that his lovely and resourceful first wife had already plied Khiara to learn the Vanthan language.

"You can tell me your stories in Vani...I love to hear you speak it!" It was, in fact, a weakness, and Khiara knew it, whispering in her lilting foreign tongue when she wanted to persuade him of something.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next