PM to join Upon Arrival

Izuyanai abandons her shopping list in favor of the haunted Library.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Upon Arrival

Postby Izuyanai on December 23rd, 2015, 7:08 am

7th Day of Winter, 515AV

The chill wind swept at her cloak as Izuyanai made her way from the Cosmos Center toward the direction of the markets that she had passed earlier. Winter time was colder than she remembered. The young Kelvic pulled the fabric around her more securely and pushed away the locks of hair that had been swept into her eyes. She'd flown in to Lhavit with the last trading party from Wind Reach. It certainly wasn't a pleasant journey, what with the weather, but it had been exciting nonetheless. Registration and all the administration work upon entering Lhavit hadn’t been as difficult as she had thought it would be. Everyone she had encountered behind the counter had been patient and friendly enough. Still, it had taken up much of the morning and it didn’t helped that the raven had kept getting sidetracked with all the sights to see.

Izuyanai lifted her head from fighting against the wind and gazed toward the distant markets which made its presence known by brighter colours and the general bustle of people exchanging wares. She’d figured it was best to make a few purchases to help her settle in and brighten the new home she had. However, as she made to walk on with renewed energy, a beautiful skyglass building caught her eye. The crisp winter air enhanced the glint of sunlight on the symbolic architecture. It couldn’t be anything but the great Bharani Library she had heard so much about. Back in Wind Reach, Izuyanai had dreamt of one day visiting such a place. Would it be too much of a detour if she stepped in for a while? Guiltily looking down at the shopping list she held in one hand, her feet almost automatically veered toward the grand building. The sun was still high in the sky, so it couldn’t hurt to drop by.

Walking up to the entrance, Izuyanai tilted her head in polite acknowledgement to the guards standing there and made to step inside.

"Miss, we advise citizens to stay out of the library for the time being."

One of the guards had held out his arm and was looking concernedly at her. The Kelvic felt a flicker of doubt in her chest. Had she done something wrong? Was there trouble? He didn't seem to be aggressive in any way, just worried.

"Oh! Has something happened?" The raven put on an innocent and pleasant smile, tucking her hands behind her back.

The man turned to his fellow guardsman and they both looked warily behind towards the library.

"Well, there has been sightings of a ghost reported within the library. Citizens are advised to stay away."

Izuyanai felt her eyes widen. At least they hadn’t been about to reprimand her for something. Guards and officials and the like often made her feel wary. Still, a ghost! She'd never seen a ghost before.

“Are they very dangerous? I was really hoping to see the library.” She actually was hoping to encounter the ghost as well, but not if it was far too dangerous.

The guard answered reluctantly, “No-one has been hurt so far. Most are just uncomfortable with the presence in the place. I really advise you to stay away until the problem has been dealt with.”

As the guard finished speaking, however, Izuyanai lightly sidestepped him and neared the doors to the library. Looking back at the guard, she smiled reassuringly and waved him off.

“It’s not as if they are dangerous, no? I’ll be alright. Thanks for your concern.” With that, she pushed her way into the building. She could hear a cry of indignation behind her as the guard attempted to warn her again.

“Hey! Miss! Really, I don’t….”

His voice was cutoff sharply as the library doors shut behind her back.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Upon Arrival

Postby Duun on December 24th, 2015, 2:25 am

Duun walked through the stacks of the library looking for something, anything, on the Inarta. Nearly a season of searching for the truth of his parents self imposed exile and he had nothing but a bad disposition and the cold to show for it.

With a sigh, he flipped through the pages of the books he had previously selected, and again, found nothing worth his while. It frustrated him to no end. his parent, deceased for a over a year, had to have had a reason for ever leaving Wind Reach. Was there some terrible secret? He had to know.

"Hey! Miss! Really, I don't..." The futile words of the guard caught his ears and he saw the petite woman enter. She walked with both natural and practiced grace that reminded him of his mother. He brushed off the feeling and headed for the stacks to return his selection. However, as he passed her, he dropped the book titled "The Inarta and the Eagles" at her feet. He mentally smacked himself across the face, clicking and trilling at himself under his breath.
~ Duun
Duun
Player

Words: 3575
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2015, 4:11 am
Race: Human, Inarta

Upon Arrival

Postby Izuyanai on December 24th, 2015, 2:42 am

The sudden lack of any wind when she entered the library made her feel slightly off balance. That combined with the amazement that struck her was quite dizzying. The library was far more majestic than any description she had ever encountered, which made her think back to the saying that went, “ A picture is worth a thousand words”. Shelves upon shelves were lined with neatly stacked books and scrolls while craning to look upwards revealed intricate pillars that supported numerous upper floors. With a giddy smile creeping onto her lips, Izuyanai raised a hand to her mouth and returned her attention to the first floor.

A quiet and sombre aura enveloped the area. Even her own light footfalls seemed to be magnified as she strode further into the building. There were few people in the library. The only other sounds came from a scattering of hooded figures walking from shelf to shelf, every other person carrying a stack of tomes. There were nooks stationed with large tables and stools where various reading and work could be done. Right now, some people sat huddled together, their heads bent over a large map. Interestingly, there seemed to be significantly fewer comfortable seats than the simple stools and the raven mused to herself that they would be highly popular among regular visitors.

Faced with such a large store of knowledge, for the first time in her life, Izuyanai had no idea what she wanted to read. She knew the small Enclave in Wind Reach through and through. Knew all the sections and was familiar with most of its documents. The prospect of familiarising herself with the Bharani Library was exciting at least. Well, it certainly wasn’t going to be easy.

Since it wouldn't do to disturb the silent figures, Izuyanai set off among the shelves. However, a fiery haired figure, who could only be an Inarta, dropped a tome at her feet. Bending down quickly she picked it up and handed it back to him.

“The Inarta and the Eagles, huh? Are you having trouble with your faithful companion?”
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Upon Arrival

Postby Duun on December 24th, 2015, 2:50 am

He bowed and muttered a thanks in Common as he took the book. he mulled over her question with a hint of confusion until he noted the title of the book he dropped.

"No. No wind eagle for me. Never been to Wind Reach. Hopefully someday." Duun sighed thinking of the home he had never been to. How he would love to live amongst his people. Sometimes he wondered if he would be accepted there, having been raised outside and all.

He brought himself from his thoughts, realizing suddenly that he was being rude. He brushed his fiery strands out of his face, speaking in his stunted Common. "I am Duun. Nice to meet you."
~ Duun
Duun
Player

Upon Arrival

Postby Izuyanai on December 24th, 2015, 3:03 am

Izuyanai peered curiously at the man’s face as he muttered a thank you. He’d never been to Wind Reach? Somehow he looked longing. Perhaps anyone would want to see their homeland.

As he introduced himself as Duun, the raven caught a slight stuttering in his common. He seemed pleasant enough.

Izuyanai smiled and responded in Nari, “ Hello! I’m Izuyanai. Nice to meet you too. Sorry, I assumed you were more comfortable with Nari. I’m not an expert myself, but I’d like to practice. So, you’ve never been to Wind Reach? I actually flew into Lhavit just today. With the trading party. Have you always lived here?”

She was actually surprised with her willingness to engage in conversation. Usually it would have just been a polite interaction. Today, however, the loneliness and confusion of being in a new city was catching up to her.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Upon Arrival

Postby Duun on December 24th, 2015, 5:43 am

Duun smiled brightly as she switched to Nari, responding perhaps a bit too excitedly, "It's quite alright. And no, I've never been. Lhavit isn't even my home."

His smile disappeared and he realized he'd said too much. He was probably bothering her. "I'm sorry for wasting your time. You didn't come here to speak to an outcast." Dunn kicked himself mentally, embarrassment and self-resentment playing across his face.
~ Duun
Duun
Player

Upon Arrival

Postby Amelia on December 24th, 2015, 11:48 am

Apart from those pertaining to fashion, Amelia had little respect for rules. Of course she knew not to kill others, or to rob or harm them, but this came from common sense rather than strong morals or concern for the wellbeing of strangers. Likewise, she knew that the such criminal acts bought with them a less than savoury reputation, and though a soiled dress could be quickly washed and changed, a sullied reputation had the habit of clinging to a girl wherever she went.

That was not to say she lived a faultless or crime-free life: Amelia had shared her company with some of the more distasteful individuals before now, at parties or taverns. But she had done so in order to irk her parents, particularly her father who had a deep respect for governing rules and laws. Even now, with his absence speaking louder than he had ever done before, she delighted in spiting his false honour. She drank, she smoked, she flirted with men who would have terrified her father. She did all she could to purposefully disappoint him.

Of course, Amelia ignored the fact that it was impossible to disappoint someone who no longer cared.

She also had little respect for the people who tried to enforce these rules and laws. In Amelia’s eyes, there was nothing to stop bad people from doing bad things. Murderers will murder, thieves will thief. And spoilt young woman will stomp their feet and complain how unfair their life was.

Such was Amelia’s reaction when she was advised by the pug-faced guard standing opposite her to not enter the library. After stomping her left foot down, the young woman retorted snappily, “but you don’t understand! I simply must get inside the library, and if you stop me you are impinging on my employability and ability to fulfil my job requirements. Now let me through!”

The guard who had blocked her way blinked, a little surprised by the young blonde’s explosive tantrum. He had merely pressed his advice onto her, as he had been ordered to do so for all individuals hoping to browse through the library. His words, at least in his opinion, did not warrant the onslaught of words she had unleashed onto him. So, after a tick or so, he snorted with amusement and stepped aside. After straightening a lock of blonde hair that had fallen out from her plait, Amelia nodded curtly and stepped inside.

Perhaps her reaction had been a little dramatic, and anxiously Amelia cast her eyes back through the door she had walked through. Thankfully nobody had followed her in, so her outburst had probably only been overheard by the other guards. Chastising herself quietly, she stalked through the library until she found that all important book she was seeking out:

Hair styles through the ages!
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Words: 149648
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 7:30 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Upon Arrival

Postby Izuyanai on December 24th, 2015, 1:29 pm

“Whoa, there.”

The young Kelvic held up her hands in light defence. Had she appeared that hostile? No, that probably wasn’t the case. Who’d be intimidated by a girl like her, even when they perhaps ought to be. Even without her Auristics, she could sense something else was bothering the young man. He had smiled so brightly before but now a look of pain shadowed his face. Izuyanai loved it when people smiled. There was something about genuine smiles and laughter that lit up people’s eyes. She had to do something to lighten Duun’s mood.

“Of course you’re not an outcast here. Everyone is welcome! It is a public library after all.”

As she smirked at her own words Izuyanai noticed a pretty blonde woman removing a book from one of the shelves. What had caught her eye was the glowering look the woman was sending in their direction. Ouch, maybe they were being too loud? Everyone seemed to be so moody today. In the lady’s defence though, it was a library after all.

Izuyanai molded her expression into something more serious and said gently, “But really, if something is wrong or if you need help, I’d be glad to be of assistance. Why call yourself an outcast? As for wasting my time, it’s no trouble at all. In fact, I came here looking for a distraction.”

In this event, it was probably unlikely that any shopping would be completed while the sun was up. Oh well, she’d heard rumours that Lhavit at nighttime was a quite a spectacle itself. This probably gave her a good excuse to procrastinate on unpacking what little she had brought with her. Besides, it was unhealthy for Duun to be so upset. The word ‘outcast’ echoed uncomfortably in the Kelvic’s mind. She was actually worried to leave him alone now. What he needed was an adventurous distraction and good company. It just so happened that Izuyanai could be both.

Leaning forward and whispering conspiratorially, “Weight of the world aside, did you hear about the ghost sightings? I was hoping to run into them. What do you say to accompanying me around the library? Oh and you’ll probably need to save me from my curiosity if it comes to that. If you like, you can tell me your story as we walk around. That or I can help you afterwards. Whichever you like.”

With that, Izuyanai passed by the first floor counter and stepped toward the grand stairs leading upwards. Turning back to Duun, she looked to see if he would follow.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Upon Arrival

Postby Duun on December 24th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Duun couldn't help but smile at her series of kind words, hardly taking note of the woman glaring daggers at them. He had to wonder why though. Why was she so kind?

His father had always said people are selfish and dangerous. Why talk to a man like him if she had been to Wind Reach and could speak the language? It struck him deeply that someone who clearly wasn't an Inarta could be so much more in tune with his people.

But his curiosity was strong. He spoke to her in Common. "I have heard of such things. I haven't seen much. Few books falling, things sliding. And no worry, I am quite curious myself." He decided not to make a comment on his life story. He would cross that bridge if and when they came to it. He followed her up the stairs, a mix of excitement and worriment in his head.
~ Duun
Duun
Player

Upon Arrival

Postby Amelia on December 24th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Delighted that she had found her precious book, Amelia began to flick through the pages, drinking in the diagrams of various plaits, up-dos and styles. The book was separated into several chapters, one for each of the major cities. These chapters were then subdivided into time periods, stretching as far back as when people bothered to style their hair.

It was the horse folk of Endrykas whose styles Amelia wished to copy. After finding the related chapter, she scanned the words carefully: the Drykas people wore their hair in plaits and braids also every day, in a variety of styles and with a selection of trinkets to decorate said styles.

Before her father had left with his mistress and his money, Amelia would have her hair styled by cosmetologists and learn from the professionals. Now, however, such services were an unnecessary luxury and Amelia would have to make do with her own skills. She released her hair from its current plait and, after running her fingers through its golden locks, she tried to copy an intricate side-braid from one of the pages.

She divided her hair into four sections, holding two in one hand and the third in her mouth (how ridiculous she must look!), whilst the fourth and final section hung limpy down her back. As instructed in the book, Amelia crossed the section of hair at the front of her face to the back of her head, holding it in place with her left hand. Next, the section that had previously been at the back – now in the middle – was pulled to the front. She repeated this pattern four or five times until---

“Oh… Shyke!”

The outburst echoed through the otherwise quiet library. To avoid getting herself into trouble, Amelia stomped upstairs to the high level of the library. There she found a table, empty save for a male and female she had been earlier. Huffing with anticipated frustration, Amelia sat herself down, placed the book in front of her, and tried again. Sections of her pale honey hair were crossed over and over, until her fingers got stuck and she had to yank them out painfully. Desperately, she said a silent prayer to Eyris, a Goddess she had never considered important in her life until now:

Eyris, bless me with your knowledge for this task. Let me learn, let me understand this crucial issue.

The young woman growled like a hungry wolf and tried again. Prissy and spoilt she was, but Amelia Trisswell was not one to give up easily.
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Words: 149648
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 7:30 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next