PM to join Upon Arrival

Izuyanai abandons her shopping list in favor of the haunted Library.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Upon Arrival

Postby Amelia on December 27th, 2015, 6:42 pm

The earlier disturbance to Amelia’s cosmetology lesson had disrupted her concentration. Now her blonde locks fell down the centre of her back, still well-groomed but nevertheless unstyled.

Yes, her attention had been grabbed by the chapter of her book pertaining to historical hairstyles, and what they meant in the cultures of days gone by. Though Amelia was certainly a woman who placed much importance on appearances, she had not expected this opinion to be shared by people in the old days!

Her passion was intense, even if the topic of her interest was, as the rude Inarta had earlier implied, of little import to society. It interested her, and for Amelia that was more than enough. Plus, the sign of an advancing people was that the necessary became replaced by the unnecessary. Yes, a nice face of make-up would never save someone from the brink of death, but Amelia’s ability to practise her craft was thanks to the generations before her, who had built a safe city wherein she could afford to chase her passions rather than her dinner.

So engrossed in her book was Amelia that when she heard a voice, she gave a frightened little yelp. Only when she realised that it was not a poltergeist, but instead the woman from earlier with the redheaded unpleasant man, did Amelia breathe a sigh of relief. “Oh! Oh, yes. It’s very interesting.” She said enthusiastically, glancing behind the woman momentarily to search for her rude companion. Perhaps Amelia had been wrong, and the male and female had not been in close cahoots. Either way, she was not going to punish this stranger for her bad choice of company. “I’m reading about some of the archaic hairstyles from Zeltiva. This one, for example,” she continued, pointing to an image of a regal-looking woman with a top-knot so large that it looked like a second head, “was worn by the women of West Street to signify their wealth. Nobody else could wear this hairstyle because then they’d be known as a liar, if they didn’t come from that part of the city. Even the wealthy men styled their hair in such a way, albeit slightly less… magnificently.”

Concluding her short summary of what she had learned, Amelia sat back in her chair and gave her new companion a quick once-over, her blue eyes darting from the woman’s head to her feet. ”I’m Amelia,” she said eventually, as if the woman had passed some sort of test only Amelia had known about. ”Amelia Trisswell.”
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Words: 149648
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 7:30 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Upon Arrival

Postby Izuyanai on December 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Izuyanai’s eyes brightened as the woman next to her explained the background behind the elaborate looking hair style in the book. It was interesting how things like fashion could contain glimpses of history, culture, and social standing. She’d never really thought herself to be the most interested in fancy things, but she couldn’t deny that she was drawn in by the woman’s story telling.

“I’m Amelia. Amelia Trisswell,” the woman said after pausing to look the raven up and down.

“Izuyanai Kokuryu,” Izuyanai replied with a polite dip of her head. “I only just arrived in Lhavit today. Hoping to study in the city, you see.”

The Kelvic set down two of the random texts she had picked up by the history section, not quite sure where else to leave them.

Turning toward Amelia she continued, “Are you a local here? I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers around the city. Where citizens go out to eat and drink, gather, the daily sort of thing. I forgot to ask at the Cosmos Center in all the registry commotion.”
Last edited by Izuyanai on January 2nd, 2016, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Upon Arrival

Postby Amelia on December 28th, 2015, 7:02 pm

The blonde continued to plait her hair as she listened to the other woman speak. Amelia’s sharp eyes were trained on Izuyanai’s face whilst her fingers worked quickly to segregate her hair into three sections and criss-cross them over until a chunky braid fell down her right shoulder. Hair styling session complete, Amelia placed her hands upon the table before her, elbows tucked in and back straight. Her entire demeanour and posture was that of a young woman with fine upbringing.

What a turn of events! Amelia could not help feel equal parts smug and amused when the other woman asked her for advice to navigate around Lhavit. Of course Amelia was more than willing to help – even she would struggle to hold a grudge based purely on that previous unpleasantness. Plus the woman, Izuyanai she’d said her name was, had actually defended Amelia when the ginger man had exploded with rage.

“Oh, no problem.” Amelia replied, giving another dismissive flick of her wrist to emphasise how little trouble her helping would be. “I have some paper here, hold on…”

Retrieving a piece of parchment and a lump of artist’s charcoal, Amelia sketched five uneven shapes connected by lines to signify the mountains of Lhavit. The fourth shape was decorated with a small, neat little star, and Amelia explained her diagram as she labelled the five mountains: “We’re here, on Tenten. The Dusk tower, where you’ll study, is here.” A circle was added to the largest and most central of the charcoal blobs. “There’s an inn on Zintia, too. Called the… Shooting Star, I think. It might be worth seeing if they have any rooms available” It was a triangle that Amelia used to symbolise the Shooting Star.

After this, Amelia slid her hand-drawn map across the table towards Izuyanai. “That should help you for now. The people at the inn will suggest bars and places for you.”
Amelia
Easily underestimated

Words: 149648
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 7:30 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Upon Arrival

Postby Izuyanai on December 29th, 2015, 2:03 am

Listening intently to Amelia’s directions and following along her construction of the map, Izuyanai nodded. Picking up the piece of paper, Izuyanai grinned and thanked the woman for helping her.

“Thank you! I’ll take a look around but I should be going now.” Izuyanai gestured toward the stair case and abruptly stood up from her chair. “Amelia was it? I hope I see you around. Good bye.” With that she strode toward and down the library stair case.

As Izuyanai stepped outside the building’s doors, her eyes met that of the guard who had warned her earlier. She smirked at him and said “See? Still alive, and nobody was brutally murdered.” The guard merely shrugged and looked back ahead.

So, brief tour of the library, encounter with the possible ghost from the rumours, and some animosity. That sounded like a day to her. Izuyanai veered toward the markets once more, using the hasty map Amelia had created to guide her from peak to peak. Once she arrived among a good collection of shops on the Zintia, she inquired about paper supplies to a stands woman nearby. The raven was more or less pointed in the right direction of The Good Book, where apparently nearly all Lhavitians went for their supplies. The shop owner it seemed, looked up as she entered the establishment and quietly observed as she went about picking up various wares and examining them.

If she was to start studying as soon as possible, she would need the appropriate items. Finally settling on a thick notebook with a dark brown leather cover and picking out various inks and a sleek quill. Izuyanai presented them to the old man of the store and reached into her pack to pay.

“5.5 Kina.” he said quietly.

Stepping out of the store just as the dusk bells rang out over the city, Izuyanai looked back toward where the library was. Right. Now to get home.

Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Upon Arrival

Postby Elysium on February 11th, 2016, 4:24 am

Izuyanai

XP:
Observation +2
Socialization +3
Rhetoric +2

Lore:
Duun, the Inarta Outcast
Rhetoric: The Art of Apology
Amelia Trisswell, Designer and Guide
Topography of Lhavit (Basic)

Duun

XP:
Socialization +2
Rhetoric +1

Lore:
Izuyanai, an Enthusiastic Young Woman
Amelia, the Self Absorbed
Rhetoric: Insults

Amelia

XP:
Observation +3
Socialization +2
Fashion Design +1
Cosmetology +1

Lore:
Fashion Design: Hairstyles of the Drykas
Cosmetology: Braided Updo
Izuyanai, a Promising New Friend

Notes: This thread was a wild ride. I definitely enjoyed the tension between Duun and Amelia. The ghost had a timely intervention! Just so you know, no one would stop them from going in if there was a ghost in Bharani. Though thay particular ghost is in a fair amount of trouble. No throwing the books! Just let me know if the three of you have any questions.

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous