Strider Horses Run Faster [Jasmine]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Kyo on January 13th, 2016, 3:46 pm

26th of Winter, 515 AV
morning

He had a Strider now, and as he understood it, horses were meant to be ridden. He couldn't help Merevaika train Tachi-Sky if he didn't know how to do anything with her.

It was time he learned to ride a horse.

Dravite had let him choose from his herd, and had advised that the hardy-looking darkish brown one --Ashka, she was called-- was perhaps the best for the job. Kyo would have asked Kaitanu for his help, but Kaitanu was his friend, and riding him once had been odd enough, like petting his wild dogs would be. No, it would be better to use a full-blooded horse, not a shifter-man. The shifter would hold still and make it easy, and Kyo needed to learn to ride an animal that might not like him on its back.

---

He had caught Askha with minimal struggles and had led her out and away from the other Blackwater horses and into the Grass-- mostly because of the way the blood-horse, which he now knew was called Vicious, looked at him with her ears erect and stare nerve-wracking, unfathomable. The coyote-man, dressed in all his Winter garments as meek padding, had the leather-riding-thing --called the yvas, he was almost certain-- over one shoulder. The horse he had a rope around, a loose loop to hold the neck, and that he had clasped tightly in one sweaty hand. Now they faced each other, horse and shifter, and neither of them looked certain about what was happening.

He didn't know how long he stood there, too nervous to do anything and remembering the way a horse had once cracked its hoof against his head, fearing that pain and confusion and sickness. But eventually he rose from those thoughts, telling himself over and over that this horse was not that horse, this horse was not that horse. He began, slowly, cautiously, to walk forward towards the huge, powerful animal, watching its face carefully, trying to read clues to her expression there that he did not yet know.

Her ears were pointing back but not flat to the head, and her tail was swishing. In dogs that would mean she was nervous or even angry, but a dog's tail swishing meant wagging, which could be more nerves or happiness or even anger. He decided the horse was probably not happy, not with a man smelling of coyote approaching near, and hoped the animal was just as nervous as he was.

Hello, he signed to her, you friend, no fear, you help? And when she started backing away despite his signing, he said, a little more forcefully, trying to command with his shoulders set and stare unwavering, You stay. Then he added, once again soft, Please?

The horse was at least looking at him, he was holding her attention, and as he slid ever nearer on run-ready feet he signed again and again, stay, stay, stay whenever she looked like she was about to step back again. Eventually he was close enough to her that he could reach out, and remembering something Merevaika had told him he whistled softly under his breath. The horse's ears perked towards him a little, and he repeated the sound, trying to be soothing, holding out a hand to touch.

Ashka stood still and let him touch her, though she pulled her face away when he reached there so his hand ended on her strong shoulder instead. He left himself in contact with her and moved closer yet, ever slowly, til they were standing side to side. He could see the animal giving him a look, though he could not read what that look meant. Carefully, not knowing what he was supposed to do, he brought his hand from her and took the yvas from his shoulder. "Please no run, oh please help me," he muttered under his breath, lifting the saddle-thing higher and trying to settle it where he thought it was supposed to go on her back.

"Speaking in Common"
"And in Vani{descriptors}"
"And in Tukant [implications, descriptors]"
"And in Pavi" grassland sign
Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on January 14th, 2016, 12:46 am

Jasmine laughed riding Chaser across the plains happy to have a little time off from work. She leaned back as Chaser slowed down and shook out his mane. The young Drykas slowly opened her eyes once more with a smile happy to be on her Strider's back once more. Chaser slowed to a stop breathing heavy from the run as his ears twitched listening to the noises around him.

"What's up big boy?" Jasmine asked seeing him jerk his head towards a noise that only he could hear at the moment.

Jasmine clicked her tongue and let Chaser go where he heard the noise. Soon Jasmine spotted a young boy who appeared to be very stiff and unsure of his own movements. She pushed Chaser to go closer to the pair and cleared her throat.

"Having some issues?" She asked with a smile before dismounting.

Jasmine walked over to Ashka and let her smell the girl's hand before petting her muzzle. The young drykas cooed to the horse showing that she should not fear the two people beside her. Her eyes cut to Chaser as he shifted nervously.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Last edited by Jasmine Stormblood on January 19th, 2016, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasmine Stormblood
The Clan is Strength, The Clan is Life

Words: 263067
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 2:51 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kyo on January 19th, 2016, 3:59 am

OOCSorry for the mix-up, I probably wasn't very clear in my last post, but the horse Kyo is riding is called Ashka, not Vicious. Vicious is a different horse he knows.

Also sorry for taking so long to reply! I haven't been feeling very well lately, and when I don't feel well I can't write well!

He had just put the yvas on Ashka's back and was trying to figure out the strap-parts when his sharp ears caught the sound of approaching hooves. Soon enough another horse and rider appeared, growing steadily nearer. Kyo stood back as Ashka shifted on her hooves, flicking her ears towards the newcomers. When he reached out to her like before she shied away, distracted, and he put his hand back down.

He had expected the horse and rider-girl to go by, but instead they came up close, the girl getting down from her place high on the Strider's back. Hello? Kyo signed, his greeting colored slightly by the sign indicating that it was a question.

"Having some issues?" she asked, smiling.

Yes, he admitted, thinking he understood her question --something like you have trouble?-- but not exactly knowing why she was asking. Just curious? Whatever the reason, he was glad she was interested. He hadn't wanted to ask Dravite or any of the others for help other than borrowing a horse to practice with, mainly because they were busy enough without him taking their time. Welcome-you, relief hope, welcome help. "My name Kyo. I try to train me to ride horse, Strider." He didn't have the words to explain fully in Pavi, so he switched to Common, hoping she would understand enough for them to talk. "I want to... to make friends with this horse. To know horse-things, like the Drykas know. How to ride, and yvas." He motioned to the scrap of crafted leather hanging unstrapped off Ashka's wide back. "But I don't know how. Don't know anything about horses."

He paused, not wanting to impose upon her, what if she was busy doing something, on her way to some place? But she had stopped, and had asked, and so he said, looking over at her own horse --which seemed as nervous to be near Kyo as Ashka was-- "Um... You help me?" Please? You stay-help, friend?

"Speaking in Common"
"And in Vani{descriptors}"
"And in Tukant [implications, descriptors]"
"And in Pavi" grassland sign
Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on January 19th, 2016, 4:54 am

The young woman took out a tie and gathered up the wavy tresses of her hair putting them in a ponytail with a smile looking to the young boy. She turned to the mare and let her get used to the woman's scent before petting her gently.

"I am more than happy to help out. I know how it feels to want to learn but no one to teach," Jasmine said with a smile and pats the mare's neck.

"You will want to make sure she is used to your scent and you are confident. If you show nervousness and weakness; she will sense that and know you are uncertain of your ability to ride," Jasmine said talking him through a horse's mind set.

Jasmine took his hand with a smile and raised it up to her nose watching her ears to to see how she is taking the young boy beside the drykas. The mare's ears stand up straight up doesn't move watching the confident rider help the one who was nervous and smelled different from the other.

"What is your name?" Jasmine asked looking at the young boy trying to take his mind off his tense nervousness not wanting him to freak out or for Ashka to freak out in response to his nervousness.

"Oh, sorry my name is Jasmine Moonstone very nice to meet you," Jasmine said with a smile looking at him gently showing she wasn't trying to show off with her knowledge of horses.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Jasmine Stormblood
The Clan is Strength, The Clan is Life

Words: 263067
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 2:51 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Prophet on April 15th, 2016, 12:06 am

ImageImage

Very good thread, Jasmine. It's a shame it had to end where it did. Kyo, if you return PM me and I will grade this for you.

Jasmine
XP
  • Horsemanship: +2
  • Observation: +2
  • Socialization: +2
  • Riding – Horse: +1
  • Rhetoric: +1
  • Teaching: +1
Lores
  • Jasmine: Content to just ride
  • Horsemanship: Know the horse’s mindset
Prophet