Solo Strong and Flat?

Cyrene has to learn rather quickly how to make a simple shield.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Strong and Flat?

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 23rd, 2016, 1:53 pm

37th winter 515AV

11:08AM

Description "Cyrene" Thoughts Isur Tukant Others

Cyrene just looked at Vacielli with a semi vacant expression. He wanted her to what? He sighed again and explained it simply.
“I want you to make a buckler. It’s a small shield made out of steel. I noticed you’re good with blades but you need practice with defence.” He spoke in Isurian to her and off to the side. She bit back a deep growl in the back of her throat and sighed speaking with a very sharp tone.
“Fine…But damn it I don’t like being told what I can and can’t do!” Stomping off in a mild rage the slammed a bar of iron deeply into the fires. Not even being allowed to use steel for this was not only irritating it was humiliating. She turned to see a few of the other smiths sneering at her. With one sharp look she silenced a lot of them. “Yeah keep laughing it up petch-wads most of you can’t hammer a petching nail out!” She groaned turning back to the fire. Pulling the iron from the blaze, she slammed her hammer down onto it the basics of forging a shield were the same as a blade except a little less straight forwards. Each pound of her hammer again the iron drew it closer and closer to a circle of steel.

The time rolled on and this was becoming fast clear an area she needed work on. She’d hammered out the basic shape but the steel was a little uneven and a touch thin and thick in some places. Slipping the whole disc back into the fires she sighed turning back to a side project of hers a few small strands of steel she’d clipped off of some of her weapon smithing adventures shed begun to forge into an etching kit, each tool was something that had been oil case hardened and then heat tempered meaning that once she ground an edge into them they’d cut into the steel and bite out small chunks for form her own personal etching tools. They’d been specially designed by her to focus on biting into steel but as such they were a set of small chisels which could be delicately controlled and angled. However they’d need an equally delicate hammer to work. Which is what she was working on between bouts with the iron disc. She picked up something called a “doming hammer and began to pound away at the iron. Caving it in and a forming a small dome into the iron just enough of one to send blows sliding off and away from the shield. Sighing as the iron cooled she slipped it back into the fires. She hated iron it lost its heat far too fast comparatively to steel. Steel was the true metal of glory. Iron however…was the material of pure beginners. She screamed internally at the blasted stuff calming down with the steel hammer head she was working on now. Having cut a head through it with a specially designed wedge she slotted a small carved handle into the slot and quenched the metal quickly in the water.
Cyrene Everwind
Beauty in the Blaze. Song in the Steel

Words: 89296
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2016, 10:34 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strong and Flat?

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 23rd, 2016, 5:16 pm

Shifting back to the iron disc or rather dome at this point she had to weld the handle to the steel of the shield…An interesting task but one she was not entirely familiar with. Pulling the dome from the fire and reinserting the steel hammer head she left it just close enough to the fire to heat but not harm the wood of the haft. She took a piece of iron nearby and bent it from the excess iron to the shape of a decent sized handle. Repeatedly heating and flattening the steel ends bending them around the anvil to right angles or just slightly beyond. Then sticking the whole thing into the fire with the Iron disc she let them both heat to the point of white hot shifting back to the hammer quenching it in oil this time to heat harden the steel She removed it after a few ticks and then placed it in oil which had been continually heated to the point of almost boiling. Placing the hammer in, she clamped it and weighted it leaving the head resting in the oil. To case harden and not fracture when she hit something with it.

Each of the small chisels she’d spent time and care on she laid out on the bench before her the varying sizes of points something to wonder at. She stepped over to the grinding wheel to put a biting edge into each of them. The process given the nature of the chisels only took about three chimes and as she returned to her fire she saw that her some and handle had started to just about reach the point of adhesion. Pulling the dome from the fires she gently moved it to the anvil before hammering in the handle into the dome. The moment she saw the iron blend into each other she quenched the iron hardening it instantly but retaining the heat. Sliding the now blackened iron into the fires again she let it heat to a dull red glow before continuing. Retrieving the hammer she’d made from the oil she’d case hardened and tempered it she now had to polish it a little to bring out the shine. A small bit of the oddly used iron wool that had been made by spinning incredibly thin strands of iron straight into the oil. She took it to the edges of the hammer shining it to a near mirror finish. Pausing she pulled the shield from the fires and gave it a once over before plunging that into the oil to case harden it. She pulled it free after a moment and then walked it over to the same vat where she’d placed her hammer. Some of the simplest basics transferred across all walks of Metal working.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strong and Flat?

Postby Cyrene Everwind on January 24th, 2016, 11:17 am

Five chimes, the iron needed five chimes to harden, Steel took ten. Something she’d learnt back when she first picked up her hammer again. Leaving the shield to bathe in the oil she lifted herself made engravers chisel set quite literally made from scraps. Almost every tool she used was something she made. Including her own hammers. She smirked picking up her freshly forged new hammer. Giving it a small toss and a spin as she did so she struck it against the anvil before her. The serenading ring was something to revel in. Her tools, and her hammers. Now it was time for her to think on what to do next. She began to think back to her glaive. The weapon she’d earned the attention of a god with. She picked it up and looked it over before smirking and picking up a pencil and a piece of parchment and starting to draw out a base design for a intricate and complicated build. Drawing on her history of metal work and smithing techniques she started to come up with a concept for a double bladed glaive.

Passing the time thinking about this she headed back to the oil. Pulling it free from I the oil the sheer heat of the metal was staggering. Taking a cloth to the oil and then polishing the shield up with the same steel wire that had been used before to shine up her hammer she polished up the surface and then took her engravers chisels too it. Cutting into it both her symbol of making and a small pattern on the face of the shield. Before cutting some deep ridges into the handle for extra grip, running the edge of a file over the rough cuts.

“Quinlain!” Vacielli called her back over with her completed project in hand.
“Yes?” A curt and sharp response but alongside it she handed over the shield a little rough and uneven in spots but still better than most of the novices. “This good enough?” Vaci studied it and then placed it on the counter top.
“It’ll do. You could still do with some work but for your first time making one here, not a bad shake. Also I saw you making that engravers set. Be sure to make a few replacements from the worn chisels tomorrow when you get in.” Vaci smirked and slapped her backside. Restraining the urge to punch him square in the jaw and floor him she nodded and marched back over to her station. I swear to izurdin my patience with that man is running thin…
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strong and Flat?

Postby Sayana on February 27th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Cyrene
Skills
  • Socialization: 2
  • Observation: 1
  • Intimidation: 1
  • Blacksmithing: 3
  • Armorsmithing: 3
  • Metalsmithing: 1
  • Bodybuilding: 2
  • Drawing: 1
  • Planning: 1
  • Engraving: 1
Lores
  • Vacielli: Owner of Kitrean Krafts
  • Armorsmithing: Creating a flat disk
  • Armorsmithing: Use of a doming hammer to form a curve
  • Armorsmithing: Attaching straps/handles
  • Metalsmithing: Basic welding
  • Blacksmithing: Polishing using iron/steel wool
  • Engraving: Drawing lines with chisels
Miscellaneous
  • 3 steel chisels
  • 1 small steel hammer for fine work

Comments: Since shields are similar to armor in many ways, I awarded armorsmithing for much of your work. An Engraver's kit is typically 50 GM and comprised of a variety of diamond tipped engraving tools. Since you don't have any engraving skill to know what to make and there was no evidence of acquiring diamond dust and attaching it in some means, I instead awarded you three steel chisels for your work. If you would like an Engraver's kit, feel free to purchase one at the Bizarre or from someone at the Kitrean Krafts who does engraving and would know how to make it.

Additionally, note that job threads are expected to be 2500+ words in length in most cities. Some cities accept 2000+ words, but you'd have to check with the ST.

It was a detailed thread and I liked how you started to work in more of Cyrene's grumpy personality into it. =)

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)