Solo A Poem and Wandering Thoughts

Levi tries to write a poem on Dira's Eve, but his mind drifts to different matters.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Poem and Wandering Thoughts

Postby Levi Remilian on February 14th, 2016, 11:00 pm

70th of Winter, 515 AV

The winter night was quiet, or as quiet as it could be at the first bells of night on the busy peaks of Lhavit. Through half closed curtains in peeked the rays of Leth's gentle lights that illuminated the parchment, ink bottle, and the quill that lay unmoving on the table of a certain apartment room. Levi was seated at the table, staring at the paper with an intensity more suited for a vile enemy than an innocent sheet. This eve however, that piece of parchment was as difficult an opponent as an opposing swordsman would be.

It was Dira's Eve tonight, a night that was celebrated back in Levi's home of Black Rock. As the name suggests, it was an eve in honour of Dira, Queen of the Dead. Rock. There were no loud and bombastic feasts or parties, no jolly and flushed couples strolling down the streets, no bards singing jaunty tunes to fun-seeking crowds. Unlike the jovial and Dionysian festivals that Lhavit loved, the Eve was a more solemn event, much like most things that had to do with Black Rock. The way that the people of Black Rock chose to honour and praise their Goddess was by writing a poem to Dira, a respectful and contemplative ode to Death. Even on such an island permeated in death's mantle, only a few individuals ventured to put their respect to poetic words. The spiritist remembered that his mother, a devout follower of Dira, had always written a poem each year. On the other hand, during the eighteen years that Levi had lived on Black Rock, he had never taken his quill to write such a poem.

Now thousands of leagues away from Dira's dwelling place, in the diamond city of the stars and heavenly deities, with the moon looking down on him, Levi sat at his table and closed his eyes. The room was empty save himself He was really going to do this at last, after twenty winters had come he was going to set his hand to writing this long due poem. Eyes opening and peering down at his quill, his hand slowly reached for the feathered tool. Grasping it gingerly, he looked at the dark feather in hand, deep in thought. He had bought these supplies earlier in the season to write a letter to request entry to the Bharani's magical wing. Soon, he was going to discover more about the world of magic and be plunged deeper into the arcane.

Levi shook his head; he was getting distracted. He had to focus on writing this poem, but how was he to even start in fact why did he even want to do this? For certain it was not because he enjoyed poetry; in fact he had never so much as uttered a single line of the artistic crafted from his mind. Then was it out of respect and devotion to Dira? The answer was obviously the latter, for what kind of man would he be today without his faith in Dira? Not the same man at all. Dira's values were the values that drove his life onward... even with the doubts that plagued him at times. If he had been born somewhere besides Black Rock, never growing up with ghosts or knowing of Dira's nature, would he, even then, have become a spiritist? For the right and altruistic reasons? Would he have remained an ordinary man, never turning his eyes toward magic?

Magic... to Levi, it has been both a tool and a way of life. His desire to help ghosts had led him down this path and spiritism was the staff which he held to help walk down that road. What was the destination of that road? Helping the souls he met on his life's journey to reach their own destinations, but to Levi that was the activity that occurred during his journey, not the end. What was his life's final destination?

The spiritist dipped the tip of his quill into the jet black ink, carefully drawing it out and kept the tip hovering over the glass bottle's opening. Levi knew the answer to that final question too well: death. It was Dira that he served and to Dira he goes. The young man tilted his head, raising his quill to write. A little excess ink drips from the quill, splotching a couple small dots on the right side of the parchment. It escapes Levi's attention. Now, he thinks that he has a line to start this poem with. Delicately he sets his blackened quill's tip against the yellowish sheet, delicately scratching away at a slow and careful pace.

My soul walks down this winding path of life

The quill's tip lifted from the parchment, the first line done. He quietly repeats the line and pleased with himself, he smiles. It had a nice rhythm to it, like that of a beating heart. There must be some poetic term for this, but that was hardly important now. He continued on to the next line.

Staff of spiritism and sword-

"At my side?" Levi said the phrase to himself, checking the sound of it. 'Side' does not rhyme with 'life'... and a poem had to rhyme, does it not? At least by sets of two lines, or so the spiritist thought. As far as he knew that was how the rhyming scheme of poetry worked. "Life... life... what rhymes with life? He mused to himself, brows furrowed in concentration as he tried to think of the words ending in '-ife'. Life... knife... strife... strife! Dipping his quill again, he began writing the words down.

"Staff of spiritism and sword to end the strife," He spoke as he wrote the last words down. Levi looked at the two lines he had finished and smiled again. Poetry was not so bad after all if he could get an idea down. At this rate he could finish within the bell.

Purchase5 sheets of parchment= 1 ki
2 quills= 1 tk
2 Black ink vials, 1 oz.= 2 ki

Credit goes to the fantastic Firenze
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Words: 154985
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2013, 12:23 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Levi Remilian on February 15th, 2016, 9:46 pm

So this is what the artistic called the flow of inspiration, the state where words come rushing out of one's mind to the written word or song. With increased speed Levi scratched down the next line, quill moving to put his thoughts to the parchment.

"Of souls alive and dead. I bring solace..." He said to himself as the ink of these words were wrought on the sheet. It was strange, how did he know exactly what to write? The words were forming in his head already as he looked over the lines he had crafted so far, jumbling, shifting and rearranging to fit the rhyme. Solace... what rhymed with solace? That was a hard question and to the newly born poet the task of finding rhyming words felt like the hardest part of writing a poem. With enough thought he was bound to figure out a word that rhymed, right?

30 or so chimes later...

It is good to have an enthusiastic start. However, the hardest part was maintaining that enthusiasm. Levi stared at the parchment in frustration and twirled the quill in his hand. How hard was it to figure out a word that rhymed with solace and fitted with the poem? Apparently, harder than he thought.

Sighing loudly, the spiritist rose from his chair and looked out the window of his room. Leth did look beautiful tonight... the way it shone from the heavens upon the mortal world. The light gently touched the longsword that also lay on the table, a little ways further up on it. His gaze followed up to the weapon. Maybe he should take a break from the poem; he had been staring blankly at it for the past thirty chimes without result and a change of activity could help.

Picking the sword up, Levi unsheathed it from its scabbard bit by bit, watching the cold steel blade glint in the Lethlight with equally cold eyes. Alongside spiritism, this was part of his staff that helped him walk in life, one of the tools upon which he depended on. He placed the sheath back on the table and held up his longsword. Some practice with swinging could take the pressure off his mind. He turned and faced away from the table to make sure he did not hit anything accidentally, and swung the sword down, followed with an upward stroke and a downward strike again.

This was the tool he had chosen, the tool by which he will protect and fight for the ones he holds dear and the innocent. Strangely Levi chuckled softly to himself. He must have been a knight in a previous life. He swung the blade horizontally a few times, picturing he was striking another blade with it. He held his sword midair, imagining the clash of metal. The only thing to do here now... He strained his arms and pushed forward, picturing his opponent taking a couple steps back. His blade flashed horizontally, cutting the air. Now... if he could just react faster than he would be more set for an actual spar. Then that would... possibly kill... his opponent. The spiritist swordsman frowned at the idea. If he killed someone, sent a soul to the Goddess, what would he think of himself then? Goddess... that rhymed with solace!

Finally he had found the word he was looking for. That was enough twirling the sword around for now; he could feel his muscles and body warming up a little. He picked up the scabbard and sheathed his longsword, setting it aside on his bed. He turned to the main task at hand once more, readying his quill and ink. It was ridiculous in hindsight; how could he have forgotten the word 'Goddess' when he was writing this poem in honour of one?

And lead them to you, oh Goddess,
These weary spirits who linger here.

Like that, in less than a chime he had written down two lines that he had agonized over for the past thirty chimes. It was funny how that worked, the striking of realization when one was no longer focusing on the actual matter they had to focus on. The wandering thoughts of a person's mind would eventually bear the fruit that they seek.

ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Levi Remilian on February 15th, 2016, 10:52 pm

'Here' was the next word that Levi had to rhyme, an easier task in comparison to the prior rhyme. Now he had to think of what exactly he had to write next. "The weary spirits who linger here... that is who I am here to help after all." He looked out the window, his expression deep and thoughtful. The city was so bright and full of life, crystalline and beautiful, but all that is light has a shadow. Wherever life abounds there is always death, and where there is death there will always be ghosts. The quill quietly weaved its inky black fruit of creativity.

To the cycle which they and I adhere,
Finding the purpose of our lives.

In Lhavit there seemed to be two authorities that handled the spiritual: Rostam and the Dusk Tower. Despite that, Levi had still found several ghosts who were lost and without help. People who had been left all alone to stagnate and fade away. Veila and Caronis came to mind, two ghosts that had been around for several years but had not received the help they needed. The ghosts of Lhavit hid from the public eye, much like anything else that could be considered dark, and the normal citizenry of the city knew next to little about them. Not outright dislike, but ignorance and from that a lack of concern. That was not right, these people needed help. If Rostam and the Dusk were not doing a good enough job of that, then Levi will stay here and fulfil his duty to Dira in the Diamond of Kalea. Why did he feel such attachment to this city? Was it the beauty of its architecture and culture, filled with light and joyous celebration of life? Or was it the underside that Levi seeks to uncover and see, to help those poor souls out of his devotion and duty to Dira? No... it was both. To think he would find a city that he has the mind to settle down in for the long term, two years ago the thought would have been ridiculous.

If he was to stay here for longer than a couple seasons though, what was he to do for money? There was nowhere that he could be hired at as a spiritist, maybe the Dusk Tower but he could not trust in a group of who he had only heard hearsay of. Then what was he to do, if he wanted to stay in Lhavit, help souls and make a living? The quill had long been sitting in the ink vial while Levi pondered this, arms crossed and eyes sharp with thinking.

Levi's gaze fell upon the Surya Plaza below, at the people bustling around happily through the vendors and shops that lined plaza, many different businesses. A business... a spiritism service business. That is what he could do. He could open his own place in this Plaza where people could see and notice it, unlike Rostam's obscure and isolated apartment room. He could open a shop here, a place where the living who had found a ghost could come and report them for Levi to help, and a place for the ethereal to come to as well to seek solace and help. If he spread word of his business, the elusive spirits who kept out of the light could come find him. Even if they didn't, Levi will still devote days to looking through the city for ghosts as he has been doing this season. That sounded like a plan.

ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Levi Remilian on February 15th, 2016, 11:11 pm

This was how the spiritist lived his life thus far and how he was going to continue living his life. Levi Remilian is a spiritist of Dira above all else, and he will continue to serve her here and wherever else he may find his path turning to. He was going to stay in Lhavit, but not for the rest of his life. The next five or ten years? That sounds like a good amount. He raised his quill and dipped it in the ink, the words he need to write next coming to his mind. For some reason, rhyme was abandoned as Levi's own beliefs and feelings made their way to parchment, breaking the confines of rhyme scheme.

And I find my purpose in serving you, Dira.
Until this life too comes into Your guiding hands.
My life's journey and purpose fulfilled.

The cold yet warmly familiar presence of Naya's presence announced her entry into the room moments before she glided through the door. She greeted Levi with a smile and a materialized hug. "Hello brother, evening!" She said as she bumped her chilly head against his and looked over his shoulder at what he was doing. Green eyes widened and twinkled with amusement, "Oh you're writing a poem to Dira? I've never seen you do that before!"

"Now you have. I am almost done, I'll read it to you once I'm done." Levi said and smiled back at his sister. The ghost girl nodded and drifted off towards the bed, floating above it in a sitting position. Levi turned back to the parchment, the last couple lines being finished off with the best possible flourish he could manage with his quill

The quill went silent, having finished its work for tonight. There was no cheer of accomplishment and victory though as Levi was again in thought. After half a chime of silence, he broke the silence with a question. "Naya... what do you think of staying in Lhavit for longer than we planned? I am think of opening a spiritism service here, in this plaza. That way we could help more people and they can know that we are here to help them." The spiritist spoke softly but stopped when he saw the ghost's expression, "Naya? What's wrong?"

The bright green eyes of the ghost girl darkened, her cheery smile now set in a grim line, not even a frown but in a way it was worse than a mere pouty frown. The girl looked at Levi with dulled eyes, a look that made the spiritist's calm mask twitch in surprise at. The ghost's voice echoed through the room, "No... that isn't what you promised me... Levi..." The volume of her voice gradually got louder, "You did not promise to stay in one place with me... you promised to travel through the world with me! Then I will pass on!"

Levi was alarmed by Naya's sudden change in tone; it was unexpected but at the same time, the spiritist had been expecting it. Naya, for all her vibrant enthusiasm and energy, was in the end still a ghost. She was more sane than most other spirits thanks to Levi's continued care of her, but he knew that even then little by little, the ghost's mind would be slipping into the insanity of obsession like every other ghost he met; the obsession of their reason for remaining. Now for the first time in two years, he now saw this hint of insanity slip out from his dear sister, the one he swore to protect. It was heartbreaking.

Levi stood from his chair and walked over to Naya, his face shorn of its cold facade. There was only the sad and tender face of a caring older brother. "I know... I did promise you that." The words were breathily whispered from his mouth. He knelt down and hugged Naya tightly, holding her cold and weightless materialized body in his arms. The darkness in Naya's eyes lessened as she stared unblinking and frozen. Levi continued talking tenderly, "I will keep that promise with you, believe me. I would never break it. But I have found a city that has people that are not looked after, for all its light and shine. So, I want to stay here for a time before we continue our journey. I'll find someone to teach my knowledge to, I'll find other spiritists who are of the same mind as me to join me, and when the time comes when our business is strong and in good hands, then we'll continue our travels.. alright Naya? Could you please do this for me, for your big brother? Don't... don't slip into that darkness... please." A quiet sob shook Levi's body, a small glimmer of tears glistening in the corner of his eyes.

The ghost stayed still in Levi's embrace, but slowly her small arms rose and wrapped around Levi's. She looked into Levi's tear-glistened eyes, her eyes once more a pure and joyful green. She nodded, smiling gently at her brother. "I... believe you... I have always believed you. I did promise I would stay by your side, so I'll stay by your side! Even if you want to stay here for a few years. But you better not stay here until you get old, you can't travel when you're old!" She piped out and grinned, completely opposite of the dark and twisted nature of the ghost that had crept out earlier.

Levi sighed and chuckled a little himself, "I guess you are right Naya, I guess you are right." He wiped away the seed of tears that had sprouted from his eyes and smiled back. The siblings sat together on the bed, having ended their hug. Levi pulled his boots off and laid down on his bed, looking up at the ceiling while Naya floated next to him, her form dematerializing and laying itself next to Levi. He was here to give solace to her, the solace she needs. Solace of the spirit... Spirit's Solace. That was a good name. He should use that for the business; now that was a great idea born from his mind.

As Levi chuckled to himself and thoughts of his prior task forgotten, the ink drawn parchment remained on the table where the never-changing Lethlight still shone, his poem now complete.

Last edited by Levi Remilian on March 12th, 2016, 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Levi Remilian on February 15th, 2016, 11:35 pm

"A Poem to Dira"
by Levi Remilian

My soul walks down this winding path of life
Staff of spiritism and sword to end the strife
Of souls alive and dead. I bring solace
And lead them to you, oh Goddess,
These weary spirits who linger here.
To the cycle which they and I adhere,
Finding the purpose of our lives.
And I find my purpose in serving you, Dira.
Until this life too comes into Your guiding hands.
My life's journey and purpose fulfilled.
So I keep walking, staff in hand,
With devotion and kindness, strength and respect,
I live until I die.
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Bee on March 12th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Pollinating Your Grades!

Levi!

Skills
    Writing- 3xp
    Negotiation- 1xp
    Planning- 1xp
Lores
    Lore of: Naya: Fulfilling her ghostly wish
    Lore of: Dira's Eve
    Lore of: Poetry: Words take time to flow
Rewards/Consequences
    none
Notes :
This whole thing was great. From top to bottom. At first my favorite was the mentioning of his mother, I had never thought about Levi's family, it seemed very genuine. But then I loved how you played with Naya's ghost side and made a little of her inner madness come out, something very new to me-- and Levi! The poem is great too, I would give you poetry points but they aren't listed in the skills section, so writing it is. Well deserved!
On mobile, but I'll be around.
Lhavit Ivory Heart (OOC) The Hive (Office)
Bee
Fairy Squad Mother

Words: 44414
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2016, 3:33 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook