PM to join [Temple of All Gods]Closed Prayers(Alex)

Alex and Draven end up in the temple of all gods, just what can they discover about themselves and their beliefs?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Temple of All Gods]Closed Prayers(Alex)

Postby Draven McNiel on March 3rd, 2016, 9:48 pm

39th Day of Spring, 516 AV

Draven slowly stalked around the outskirts of a certain place, located within Stormhold Citadel and most likely held a good amount of importance to a number of citizens who lived within the bastion of safety that was Syliras. However to Draven this place didn’t mean all too much, which was why he felt as if he didn’t belong inside. But at times his curiosity drove him, he wished to find out what it was that drew people to gods. Was it the same thing that drew him to magic? Was it that possibility of power that people seeked, or was it something else entirely. It was all something that Draven wished to know, and hoped that he could find his answers one day.

The swordsman slowly stepped inside the temple of all gods, a place that was filled with prayers each and every day. Even now there were a couple of people praying as they were seated on the ornate seats of oak, the effort put into carving the boundaries of wood and open air showed even this mercenary ignorant to the ways of wood carving and carpentry the effort that was put into these seats to hold these pious worshippers. ”Should I really be here though? Not really praying to any gods, am I just gonna sit here or something?” He asked himself, he looked around at the walls and was impressed at the sheer artistry of the place.

He seated himself, and after a small period of just staring around the place he sighed and ran a hand through his hair.”Ah, dear god of being cool, please give me some blessings or something.” He whispered to himself, only someone close to him would be able to hear his hushed whispers. ”Guess it doesn’t work like that huh?” He said to himself as he sat back and looked at the ceiling.
Draven McNiel
Player

Words: 79666
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 4th, 2016, 12:30 am

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Alex stepped towards the temple of all gods, a darkness looming overhead. He was still unsure. He was still scared of his own capabilities. Of his own skills. Now looking at the world from the eyes of one who’d taken a life he could never see things the same way again. In his hand the loop linked with all of the icons of the gods he followed. The loop of leather rolled and wrapped around his hand like a rosary. He stepped into the temple, the quiet solemnity. Alex sat in one of the pews he assumed to be empty. Lifting his hands together he lifted the loop. He spoke softly, his voice edged with sorrow, and a line of smoothness that almost seemed to soothe the soul.

“Why...Yahal please. Give me a sign that this is what you want from me. Please I need something. Anything. Please. Please tell me it wasn’t for nothing. Please. Priskil. I’m holding onto hope, I’m holding onto the threads of the frayed hope I have. I want to belive that my actions are not for nothing. I want to. Please...” Alex huddled over the steel plates of his clinking together beneath this shifting of the weight of his weapons. Next to him he heard another voice. Quiet hushed but almost making fun of what the people here were doing. Alex turned his eyes to face the source of the voice. A look of fire and irritation in his eyes. Alex had come here to find an answer. A sign some meaning in his failures. Something. Alex wanted to strike him he wanted to tell him to leave but he swallowed the words and suppressed the rage. Perhaps this was a test from Yahal and Priskil about his faith and perhaps this would help him. Alex lessened his grip on the icons exhaling slowly and looking at the man next to him. He spoke again the same tone of voice but with a firmness to it rather than a sorrow.

“It’s not exactly like that. Do you not know any of the gods?” He Held a look on him of inscrutability He was annoyed but not enough for it to cause a problem.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Draven McNiel on March 4th, 2016, 3:31 am

Draven seemed to be startled by the fact he had missed someone sitting next to him, which wasn’t a big surprise considering that he was spending a lot of time admiring the artistry of the temple. However what was a bigger concern was what that person had just said, had he heard him? He didn’t want to cause any offence, so was it best to apologise? However first came answering the man’s question. ”Ah, guess it doesn’t, only makes sense…” The question itself however was harder for Draven to answer, he knew some, but that was only their names and the spatterings of what others said about these gods.

He tilted his head to the side before giving an embarrassed smile. ”Can’t say I know more than a few, only know that Sylir guy’s name, there’s Tyveth and what was it again….Mahal, Kahal...No, Yahal; yeah that’s it, guess there's that bad guy who’s called Rhysol too, though I don’t know why he’s bad heh.” Draven said in a hushed tone so that only the guy he was speaking to could hear him; there was no need to disturb those that were busy in their prayer.

Just like one of those many times, Draven just spoke what popped into his head, it was this honesty that could get him into trouble. ”Not really that religious, was just trying to think about why others were though.” He said as he sat back, noting just how uncomfortable his sword harness and wooden sword made it, and thus went to take it off placing it in between his legs using his thighs to hold it in place. ”What ‘bout you? Worship just one god or a few?” Draven asked hoping that a conversation would start from here. He noticed the armour straight away, squire or knight? He was never able to tell the difference. Still the opportunity to have a few of his questions about religion was about to be answered so why wouldn’t he take the chance offered to him, was it perhaps the god of being cool sending him their blessing?
Draven McNiel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 4th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Alex sighed softly a look of disparity in his eyes. Alex looked him over the simple form of a man next to him, he listened to his words and took a soft breath before speaking again his voice even and tempered. Yes still smooth and light, almost like his words were silk. “We’ve all got to start somewhere I suppose.” He gave a soft smirk as he lifted the loop of icons in his hand. “Each one pertains to a different god, and the three you’ve mentioned are on here. Rhysol…God of chaos and evil is worshiped in Ravok. A place of great evil and despair for people. However not knowing the gods names doesn’t mean they aren’t always watching you.”

Alex spoke with a calm and even tempered meaning to his voice. “The gods that you should follow I cannot tell you, but Tyveth, Yahal and Sylir are three that I would strongly recommend. Personally I happen to follow Yahal and Priskil above all. The god of faith and purity, and the goddess of hope and vigilance. And although my belief within myself has wavered and faltered in these last few days it has held strong in them and their meanings.” Alex uncoiled the loop of the gods he had around his fingers and hung it before the man next to him. "If you wish to learn of any of the gods I have here, I can tell you of what little I know of them. My name is Alexander by the way. Squire of the syliran knights.” Alex closed his eyes lightly and thought to himself a prayer to all the gods who were listening and taking note. Thank you for the distraction from my current pain…And showing me that the way forwards isn’t to wallow in the past but to focus on helping people as I had originally intended. Thank you for the rays of hope and a chance to purify my soul. A soft smile devoid of any real meaning for the man opposite him would appear on Alex’s face, sincere and kind.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Draven McNiel on March 4th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Draven chuckled at the statement that he had to start from somewhere, while he didn’t see himself worshipping any gods, it was still a great opportunity to learn, maybe if there was a good of cool. However his gaze became locked on the icons in the other male’s hand, there were a good number of wooden icons there that Draven couldn’t make heads or tails of, but one thing he knew was that each probably corresponded to a god as the male had said the three gods the mercenary named were on there. ”That’s a large number to be worshipping...Wait what, they’re watching me? Even when I take a bath or do something I shouldn't in my room?” Draven blurted out all of a sudden at the sudden influx of information. He quickly looked around the room hoping to catch a god before realizing how stupid he looked.

He stopped and chuckled at himself again, this guy probably thought he was weird. Draven’s gaze fell to the floor for a second showing some disappointment in his face for a second before his face flashed back into a smile. ”Hm, I see what do those three do, like what are they in charge of? Is that even the right word? Actually I’m not even sure I know what a god really is.” He said as he scratched his cheek, a strained, embarrassed laugh escaped his mouth; he just realized how clueless he was about the gods in general.

”Alexander huh? Is it alright if I call ya Alex? It’s a bit of a mouthful; ah I’m Draven by the way, mercenary; ready to tackle any job.” He said as he pounded his chest with his fist as a weird show of manliness. ”Also thanks by the way and sorry for any offence I might cause, I’m pretty dull when it comes to most things.” He said as he rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. ”Actually, is there a god of cool? Or being cool? How ‘bout a god of mercenaries?” Draven genuinely asked, his eyes were wide open; similar to a child that was waiting for his father to pass him the sweets that he was waiting a whole day for.
Draven McNiel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 4th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Draven whilst he was right about the number of gods Alex worshipped being large he wasn’t above being an idiot in the respect of just glancing around and speaking about what went on in his privacy. Alex shot him a somewhat dry and unamused look. “Draven. What you do in your own time is yours alone to know. But if you have time to goof about perhaps it would be better served learning and training. As you’ve said you’re a mercenary.” Alex knew what that life was like and wanted nothing to do with it.

“They aren’t really in charge of it. Gods are really powerful beings, and it isn’t what they control but rather their ideals. Their beliefs. Sylir believed so much in peace and protection that he sacrificed himself to keep civilization in some form. Rhysol believes chaos is the true destiny of things and seeks to sow the seeds of it everywhere. Priskil believes that in hope people can overcome any trial. And Yahal believes that faith can guide one to a destination. It is their belief that we join in with ours, we worship them as the spearheads of this belief. It’s why I follow somany because each one champions a different cause. And each one in turn can lend aid or some knowledge that a simple deed can grant a betterment.”
As Alex finished speaking he rolled the figures of priskil and yahal in his fingers. “Draven. Belief is a powerful thing. Don’t misplace yours. And if you’re looking for a god of warriors-” He paused a moment to draw up the triple claw mark icon. “Then you’re looking for myri, warrior goddess.” He offered the icon’s visage to Draven before turning his his head back towards the floor.

“No offence taken, just know that where you tread is over beliefs that people have and will kill for. So watch your footing else if you find someone who isn’t as…Amiable as me they may do much worse to you, outside of this city of pace at least.” Alex let out a heavy sigh dwelling on the mistakes and mars of his past and the more recent failures of his own hands.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Draven McNiel on March 5th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Draven rubbed the side of his arm as he was chastised a little by the man he had just met. ”Can’t argue with that.” He said, his voice was still quiet as his voice trailed off in small laugh. Draven shuffled in his seat, stretched his arms finding some satisfaction in hearing a couple of pops before placing those hands back on his knees. His sword was still being held up in between his legs.

However for what came next Draven listened very intently, interested in finding out about this things that were called gods; the things that were a part of so many people’s lives. He was drawn to finding out about them, perhaps it was his lack of faith in any deity, or perhaps it was the fact he was a magic user? Still, he listened, and listened closely he did. ”Damn, that’s pretty heavy huh. So these guys do a lot for us it seems, not just that but they must do a lot overall.” He thought to himself, a little surprised at the information. So their beliefs were what shaped what they did, it seemed a lot like what….normal people did; not only that but one actually sacrificed himself for his beliefs, Draven couldn’t imagine just what kind of faith in one's ideals that would take but he admired it nonetheless.

”Gods can die huh?” He said louder than he originally meant to, meaning that Alex could well hear him. However the next of what Alex said was what hit Draven a little deeper; his belief was powerful? In what sense and so Draven tilted his head at the sight of a three claw-marked icon. ”Warrior goddess Myri huh, feel like I’ve heard that name before.” He said as he scratched the side of his head as he thought about the name and shrugged. [

color=purple]”Still a lot to take in, each one can guide someone, give them knowledge but what I still don’t get is why they do so. I can understand maybe these good god's doing it, but even then I still can’t fully wrap my head around it, doing so much for nothing in return…”[/color] He said, less as a question and more voicing his thoughts. ”I know what you mean, if someone will kill for money, what would they do for their god; I’ll be careful, I just tend to blurt out what comes into my head at times.” Draven said with a chuckle as he scratched the side of his cheek once more, he must be looking really uncool right now. He had to keep it cool. ”Anyway! I wonder if anyone like guides the gods, or something. Or does it not work like that…” He asked, his mind whirling trying to ask as many questions as possible, but even beyond that there was something bugging Draven. ”Anyway what was with that sigh, got somethin on your chest?” He asked, his overly familiar self was above knowing not to ask strangers to confide in him.
Draven McNiel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 5th, 2016, 4:50 pm

It seemed as if Alex’s words were getting through to him. Simply speaking about what he’d heard from listening to practitioners of the faith. Alex’s own faith until a few days ago had never wavered never faltered. In fact he’d had a will of steel towards his belief but in a single flash that steel, became like paper.

“Apparently. Though, not just to other gods. Myri was a mortal until she slew the prior god of war. I spent time in Nyka where the son of the former war god still resides.” Draven continued on pondering and pawing over his own thoughts and summations. Alex however sank into thought, the deep winding staircase of his mind delivering him to the third tier of the tower of information within his head. And then Draven spoke again. Without even opening his eyes Alex spoke again in his mind pulling a book from the shelves. In his mind.

“It is near impossible to understand the designs of the gods, however it is not for their plans nor their machinations that we worship them it is in fact their beliefs for which we worship. We follow and trust that their guidance will see us through the hardships and the turmoil. I Hope one day, I’ll be able to see one of the gods like the many here marked by their chosen of faith have. Yet I will not ask anything from them, just thank them.” He paused a moment letting Draven speak again his words flowing like questions. As that was in actuality what they were.

“For if any guides them I do not know. But as far as I’m concerned I’ve a lot weighing on my mind. I always have, just more so now. It’s why I come here. To seek solace and repentance for my actions and those of my family. To pray to strengthen my resolve and fortify my sense of purpose.” Alex finished with a fragile and small but sincere smile. As always he spoke from the heart, masking only what he felt he truly needed to, in order to help those around him.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Draven McNiel on March 7th, 2016, 3:01 am

Draven ran a hand through his hair, grabbing a clump of his unruly locks, musing that it needed a cut, his mind having drifted away from the subject of conversation for a split second. He took in a deep breath, finding the smell of the temple to be pleasant, although a slight tinge of wood polish seemed to poke through behind the smell of what seemed to be a form of incense. ”That’s actually really badass, she must of have been some sorta super wizz at fighting, or did she catch him by surprise...I wish I could have seen that fight…” Draven wanted to meet this warrior goddess somewhat now, maybe one day he’d try and meet her; though he doubted she’d want to meet him over her faithful.

Though he felt a tinge of sadness for the progeny of the deceased war god, understanding the pain of having lost a father himself. ”Though that son of the war god must have a grudge against her, I know I’d be pissed if someone was behind my old man’s death...Wait, he lives in Nyka, like in the city? Do gods live in cities...I thought they occasionally dropped by. Does Myri live in a city?” The goddess of war and victory had caught his attention after finding out she was previously a mortal. The wizard inside of him also wished to reach the pinnacle that this gods reached, it made him wonder just how killing a god would allow one to ascend mortaldom.

Draven listened, and closed his eyes to take in the information, and partly to muse over it, he felt as if his questions at this point must have been bothering the man. Was there something he could give back in return, maybe he could offer to help with what was weighing on his mind. Though he held himself back, people became stronger after dealing with their own problems...Or that’s how he felt about it anyway, either that or you burn your problems…

”Sounds a lot like…” Draven stopped himself right there, comparing his father to the gods that these people worshipped wasn’t right, it would be a great offence within this temple. Though he did see the man on the very same level. ”Hm, forgive me if this sounds wrong, but what if they end up guiding you to your ruin, can you still really worship that god after they have you lose everything?” Draven asked a question that he deeply knew he shouldn’t ask, though it was one that was weighing on his own mind just as well. Could he become a wizard and mercenary that surpassed his father, even if he ended up losing his body, mind or his very life? He had long chosen to walk this path, but regardless there was that occasional doubt that cropped up.

”Repentance huh? Guess I should do some of my own. Though, I guess I might have to aim this at all the gods.” He chuckled, though it was slightly hollow, showing some self derision in that laugh. He didn’t worship any of the gods, but he felt he had something to say that he wished all of them to hear; though he wasn’t sure it would get through.

”Hey Alex, y’know, you’re a pretty cool guy.” Draven said just as he opened his eyes. He looked around the room once more, and found himself grinning. He found the squire to be great company, and didn’t quite feel like moving. ”Hey, tell me about those two gods that you worship above all, what is it that makes those two stand out above them all. I know a bit more about Yahal now, thanks to you; but is there more and how about Priskil?” Draven was somewhat curious about those two gods, but it was more to get to know the person he was talking to, faith seemed to make up a huge part of who he was.
Draven McNiel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on March 7th, 2016, 3:47 am

“I wasn’t there so I know about as much as you do. If you wanna know more then I’d suggest asking a Myrian.” A slight wave off of the comment. Alex gave a small sigh at the words. His eyes still closed as he lifted the loop of gods over his head and left them hanging around his neck again back where they belonged. “As for Uphis. He dwells within the city of Nyka with three others. And yes if any one of Myri’s children, the Myrians, are seen entering or around the city, Uphis’ devoted will slay them on sight.”

Alex paused a moment nulling over the second half of Dravens question and then decided a simple answer was best. “Gods do, what gods do. If they choose to reveal themselves to us then who are we to question what they do? As for Myri again. I do not know.” Though the pause from draven was fleeting Alex in that moment had already begun to formulate a response to what he may have said next. At least until he actually said it. What if he was being lead down a path to ruin? What if he was to lose everything? Alex paused a moment his eyes opening filled with a look of pained understanding.

“If I am to lose everything. Then there isn’t much left for them to take. If I am to be lead to ruin there isn’t much further I can fall. When life kicks you as hard as it can day after day, year after year eventually you start learning to adjust to your surroundings. To live in a life of pain and misery. Yet the reason I can go on, is because I have faith, and hope in the path I am being led on. And it is this Hope above all that allows me to continue.” He spoke with a word of conviction and sorrow. An odd combination but it was in all honesty the truth. He’d felt like he’d fallen so far that he didn’t have much further to fall. He’d felt like he’d lost everything, his home, his family, his friends, and a face that still haunted him was gone.

Repentance. A word that held meaning for Alex. Perhaps his past transgressions were what was leading him to this...boundless despair. This all-encompassing darkness. Perhaps the only light left to him was the one at the end of the path he walked. And so he’d walk it until the stones fell away and his feet plunged him into the darkness fully. Or he felt the warmth of the light once again. Draven’s words rang out and Alex gave a smile, but it was one that didn’t speak of agreement but rather the opposite. “I’m far from cool. I’ve broken my word. I’ve let things happen which I could have prevented.” Though as Alex finished draven asked about the two gods he followed. Yahal and Priskil.

“Priskil. Goddess of Vigilance, Light, and Hope. I hold her in such high regard because Hope is a powerful thing. Perhaps even more powerful than faith. It’s what gets men through the darkest of times, even when faith is gone, hope still lingers. Faith gives cause, but Hope gives purpose. And it is my hope that one day, I will be able to see Priskil. And above all I shall do one thing. Thank her for the hope she has given to me.” Alex didn’t look at Draven finishing his words instead casting his gaze skywards, his fingers finding with practiced ease the symbol of the watchtower around his neck.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next