Fishing Boat; What is it?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 8th, 2016, 1:03 am

Hey there.

I was looking at saving up for a fishing boat instead of a catamaran as it might be a better long term investment and be more seaworthy and able to modify. That being said, the fishing boat has the following description:

The standard class used for several types of sailed fishing vessels. These vessels can occasionally be used as coastal trading vessels or cargo haulers as well. They are not normally armed. Crew: 8, Passengers: 7

It is also listed as having a 25 ton cargo. I am just trying to figure out what kind of ship this would equate to as far as existing ships or ancient ships so I have some kind of comparison and can figure out how I would outfit it. Most of the other ships, save for the Svefra ones, have real life counterparts or entries in some wiki to see pictures of.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on April 17th, 2016, 11:48 am

Well, maybe this wiki article might help?

Article.

I've got an interest in the Svefran boats, and of course like you mention, they don't have counterparts. What I tend to do is follow wiki links to different styles and types of boats and then imagine taking that to Miz. This one caught my eye. It's not very official, but hopefully that link helps a bit?

EDIT: or this one...

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on April 18th, 2016, 4:27 am

Thanks so much, Karin!

I had scoured some articles in this vein but I guess I was on the wrong end of it. I think that dogger might work well. Doesn't match the tonnage but who cares? As if I am going to be able to manage that much fish anyway. Or better yet, would I cull Father's herds so needlessly? Thanks again!

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Karin on April 18th, 2016, 6:06 am

No problem :)

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)