PM to join Instilling what can’t be taught.

Alex has a small conversation with some pages. He ends up instilling something in them that really can't be taught.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Instilling what can’t be taught.

Postby Alexander Faircroft on April 16th, 2016, 10:13 am

75th Spring 516AV
Midday
Bittern district

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"
Alex sat at the edge of the squire dorms. A gentle breeze rolled by as he slid the sharpening stone along the edge of his sword. The slow glint of a few sparks spraying off of the blade drawing the attention of some of the pages who lured and skittered about the district. A few stopped and stared at Alex who with a small smirk on his face hummed a tone under his breath still firing off a few light sparks. Flicking his eyes up, he spotted the small group of Pages nearby. Seeing them start to recoil and scatter he lifted a hand and ushered them over.
“You’ve been staring at this for a while.” He gestured the sword forwards. The overall length of it taller than most of the kids. Several of them nodded with a small look of awe. He lifted it with his lef hand offering the lower part of the handle. “You’re welcome to try to hold it. I warn you though it’s heavier than it looks."

A brave page possibly given her height and standing, was the oldest of the group before him. Possibly just about to turn to an age where she’d become a squire. She stretched her hands out slowly and clasped the end of the handle. Alex made a small motion making sure to keep the tip of the sword on the ground. After three small bobs of his hand he let go of the handle and she leant forwards trying to balance the weight.
“Mister. This is really heavy… You swing this?” She gave him a small look of shock and surprise. Alex just nodded and with his left hand gripped the handle. She took her hands off of it as he swung the blade up with little effort to sit on his shoulder.
“I do. And I swing it with one hand whilst holding a shield which is almost as heavy.” The small group looked at him with a mild expression of awe.
“Mister. You must be really strong!” One of the much younger boys called out. Alex gave him a bit of an odd look.
“First off. I’m not that strong, I’m actually pretty weak. Secondly, call me Alex. It’s easier than hearing “mister” over and over again.” He spoke with a small smile.

The Pages nodded with a slightly wide eyed look. Another of the younger pages spoke.
“Alex… Are you a Knight?” A soft inquisition. Alex just shook his head.
“Not yet. I’m still just a squire.” The pages all looked about each other as he said that.
“Alex!” Another small voice called out looking at him. “If you’re really strong you must be really good at protecting people! Right?” Alex paused looking towards the ground slightly.
“Not as good as I want to be.” Alex scanned the faces of the pages and sat his sword down to the side.
“Alex.” Another voice spoke. “Why’d you become a squire?” That was a good question. Holding a moment Alex stopped to think on it.
Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on April 17th, 2016, 6:42 am

Thinking on what they’d said Alex Looked back at them swathing his eyes over all of them. He pressed his hands together. And asked them a question in return.
“Why do you guys wanna be squires?” A shower of answers rained down on him, everything from wanting to be strong to wanting to protect people. From wanting to follow their dreams, to being able to make their families proud. Alex paused them with a light tapping of his hands in the air.
“Ok, ok. I wanted to be a squire to be a hero.” He spoke with a light word and the pages just looked at him.
“But that’s the same as what we said!” One called out and Alex gave a light smile. And spoke again.

“It’s not the same. You all want to be strong, to make people proud, and to protect them. Being a hero isn’t about being the strongest at any cost, nor is it about standing above others. Being a hero means that you want to serve others no matter the cost.” Alex spoke with a small smile getting odd looks from the pages.
“Alex… What do you mean by serve?” One of the pages tilted her head and gave him the “puppy” eyes. Alex paused a moment and thought about his answer.
“It’s a Knights duty to serve the people. To make sure they are safe, protected. To rule on arguments, and find thieves. Knights don’t get much time to themselves, because of this it means they are serving others.” Alex tried to get across what he meant with these words to push to the kids that sometimes being a hero didn’t mean slaying a monster or saving someone from danger. Sometimes it meant just stepping in to stop an argument before it got out of hand.

The kids just gave him a curious and odd look. Alex shook his head softly. “It’s hard to explain. But what I’m getting at is. Don’t be selfish, try to help others more than you help yourself.”

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alexander Faircroft on April 17th, 2016, 9:49 am

The Pages then scattered just as quickly as they’d gathered. Unsure as to why Alex glanced around and couldn’t really see anyone nearby. Then again he wasn’t really paying attention nor quite as much as he perhaps should have been. From behind him to his right he heard a small cough. Glancing back he immediately rose and saluted.
“Sorry Ser Maximus. I didn’t realize you were there.” Alex spoke with a sharp apology, something he was far too practiced at. Ser Titus Maximus was a monster of a man. As tall as some Akalaks and built like a behemoth. His signature weapon which granted him the title “The Hammer” rested on the ground next to him as he half leant on the railing and on it.

“You’re Greyhearts Squire aren’t you?” A small crack of a smile on his face. Even through that Alex couldn’t help but feel like the monster of a man would turn on a dime. So he just nodded whilst holding a firm pose at attention. “Don’t worry boy I don’t intend to break you. In fact I wanted to have a quick chat with you. Been meaning too since Greyheart headed out on his fancy pants mission. Come with me.” Alex picked up his bastard sword and slid it into the sheath. Following behind the giant of a man told Alex just how small he truly was. As much as he loomed over most, shorter people when confronted with someone of such massive form he couldn’t help but feel insignificant.

Stepping into the office of Titus wasn’t the same as Greyhearts. His patron’s office was much cosier neater more constraint angled to handle people as guests. Maximus’ room was much different, stepping in felt like he was walking into an interrogation chamber. “I was impressed with your view of things. It’s rare to find a man of such calibre.” Alex nodded again not fully knowing if he had permission to speak yet. “It’s good to see you attempting to pass that to the pages. Now as for what I wanted to speak to you about. We know.” Alex gave him an off centre look.

“We know about your origins, where you came from. What we don’t know is why you didn’t tell us initially.” Alex visibly flinched as the weight of the words set in. Titus sat down and offered Alex a seat opposite him.
“I didn’t tell the order, because I was ashamed of my origins.” Titus raised an eyebrow.
“A man born of ravok, ashamed of where he comes from. Seeking to be a hearo subservient to the people. A rather riveting tale.” The knight gave a deep rumbling laugh so loud was it that Alex thought the stones of the castle might shake loose. “I was asked by Greyheart to tell you in his absence that. Ah bugger it what was the words again. I’ve never been too great with “philosophy”. Ah that was it! “We can forgive a child for being afraid of the dark. The true tragedy is when men are afraid of the light”. I’ll be damned if I know what it means. But he said you might. Perhaps one day squire when you’re a knight we’ll fight side by side against those who seek harm on our fair city.” Titus gave a sharp smile and dismissed Alex.

Alex stepped through the halls, the words resonating within his head. Alex knew what they meant. He knew all too well. Alex was afraid of becoming a knight. Afraid of stepping into the light and becoming a beacon for good. Purely because he’d stepped into and been stained by too much of the darkness. Forgive a child who’s afraid of the dark, huh? I’m not afraid of it. I’m afraid of being consumed by it. Alex heaved out a heavy sigh.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes