PM to join Wine and Poetry, a Natural Pairing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Wine and Poetry, a Natural Pairing

Postby Okara on June 1st, 2016, 8:13 pm

Summer 7, 516

Okara’s scaled feet padded quietly on the cobblestone path leading her towards the outskirts of Mura. Her legs moved in a slow but determined gait, she seemed to be heading towards a destination but was in no rush to get there. Okara thrilled at the feel of the smooth stone beneath her toes, her boots left behind at home in excitement of the warm summer days to come. The sun was beginning to drop in the sky and the ocean breeze had the first nip of evening to it but she paid it no mind.

The young Konti woman’s hair swirled around her shoulders, curly after escaping the braids she had worn all morning and afternoon. Okara had a mind for entertainment and braids were too serious for such endeavors. Even the annoyance of the cling from the remaining moisture of her freshly washed ivory shirt was ignored by the smiling woman.

Okara let her green eyes drift over the lovingly painted stone buildings that she passed. Some were painted simply with elegant lines and blocks of pastel color while others were collages of geometric shapes in brilliantly rich hues. She took no note of any particular structure but let the dazzling colors wash over her vision like the waves surrounding the Isle. She passed by residences, businesses, and well tended gardens until she came to the building on the outskirts that she sought.

After the brilliantly colored buildings she had seen Okara almost walked right past the pale grey of Starry Night. The simply adorned stone rose up before her, giving little indication of the true beauty of the creative minds that dwelt within its walls.

Okara crossed her arms and her green eyes studied the building. Now came the true question of the evening. Walk within Starry Nights walls and listen to the beautiful words of the skilled poets that congregated there? Or pass through to the gardens where Two Sisters Winery was tucked and enjoy a few glasses amongst the lovely flowers? She had no particular skill with words herself and could not speak about poems on the same level as many of the Konti that dwelt within, but too many glasses of delicious wine came with a similar risk of embarrassment. Okara tussled with the decision for a few moments, still staring up at the pale grey stone.
Last edited by Okara on August 5th, 2016, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okara
Great stories start with humble beginnings.

Words: 218993
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2016, 12:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Visi on July 15th, 2016, 10:30 pm

¤

On this fine day Visi was ready to step foot in the Starry Night. She had heard about it, being keen to say a few lines of poetry before a song on her flute so some of the Konti told her about the poetry house, and was excited to dip her feet in. Passing by the houses and shops, all a beautiful arrangement of sizes, shapes, and gardens, she couldn't help but be in awe of the beautiful land she had found herself in. Such a stark contrast to her home in Avanthal, still after a season of being here she couldn't help but stare at the beauty of the city in which she now resided in.

On her way into the Starry night she passed a Konti woman of particular beauty. Long, flowing hair and beautifully dressed. She couldn't help but be enchanted by the woman.
'I wonder what she's doing out here by herself.' She wondered, eyes meeting the Konti's for a moment before being downcast.
If the Konti was paying attention she would notice the eyes turning a burnt orange for a moment before returning to a golden color, and the woman's hair shimmering gold in the sun. Passing by the woman, she entered into the front room of the Starry Night. As promised, a tinkle of a bell signified her entry and two Konti women seated in the chairs nearby the place to put your coats. Finding today was hotter than expected Visi dumped her large cloak in one of the unoccupied hampers but kept her backpack because inside of it was her notebook which held her poems. Not all of them did she know by heart. Satisfied that she was just another visitor, the Konti women resumed their quiet conversation. As Visi walked by she could see that one was reading out of a notebook.
'Perhaps she's a little shy.' She thought to herself; inferring that maybe the woman didn't want to read in front of the group, but enjoyed the atmosphere the Starry Night gave off.

It was a scholarly place of sorts. As she entered the main area the soft voices of Konti could be heard rising in the air, a subtle sound that Visi found rather soothing. She followed the curving path around, admiring a small pond not far from the entrance. The fish which dwelled within were golden and white splotched, a fish Visi had never seen before. The gardens here were bountiful and glorious, bursting with color and life. She walked past the pond to touch one of the leafier plants, what she thought was a type of fern. In the center was a single pink flower of considerable size and she touched it for a moment on its petals. Looking away from the flower she spied a group of Konti talking and laughing amongst themselves.
'Well, looks like I've found my audience...' She sighed and squared up her shoulders as if ready for a confrontation.

"Ehem", she coughed as she drew nearer to them. They looked up from their conversation and stared at the Vantha quizzically.
"I'm a bard by trade, I was wondering if you'd like to hear a poem."

"Of course!" One Konti said, "We were just talking about how we haven't heard a poem from someone new in a long time. Say, where are you from? You appear human but something about your eyes tells me you aren't so, not a Kelvic..."

This question was not foreign to her. Many of the Konti were curious and her eyes turned lavender with laughter as she answered. "You aren't they first to ask me that, and probably not the last. I'm a Vantha. We come from the high north."

The Konti nodded, not asking more questions. It would seem she knew about the Vantha. Thank the gods, it spared Visi from the gale of questions that usually came after "Vantha". She withdrew her notebook from her backpack and began reading from it.

"Love drunk, howling to the moon
the stars are the only ones with us now.
We're laying in the grass
smiling at each other,
Because we both know.

Our feet are long
weary from our travels.
We'll never stop
this is our perfect life,
Because we both know.

Brave hearts singing about young love
entwined for eternity.
Even if we don't make it
those moments are scarred into the ether,
And we both know.

The happiness we feel now
thinking to our future.
Is the only thing that's real
finding solace in each other's arms,
We know, we know, we know."

The Konti applauded and one got up and patted her on the back. Visi curtsyed and grinned, loving the attention. She was a woman of the stage to the core, despite being a rather resolved creature.
"Thank you!"
Visi
The Strong Silent Type

Words: 10832
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2016, 2:11 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Okara on July 17th, 2016, 1:26 pm

As Okara stood pondering what should really be a simple question she noted a dark haired woman approach the building she stood in front of. As Okara turned her head to take note of the woman, the woman met her eyes and Okara noted they changed color briefly. The woman turned her eyes downwards and continued into the Starry Night. Okara tilted her head thoughtfully, wondering how long the Vantha had been in the city. She could not recall seeing this particular individual before. But the rate of visitors from across the realm was increasing by the season and Okara could not possibly meet every one.

The Vantha woman’s presence helped make her decision. The Vantha people’s artistry was known in Mura and Okara was intrigued to hear one’s poetry if she had a mind to speak it. Okara followed a few steps behind the woman into the building, carefully watching where the dark haired woman went. As she passed through the entrance the quiet hum of conversation and the occasional rise and fall of a poet’s voice bringing life to their words filled the room. A few small groups of blonde women huddled here and there, sometimes a figure stood in their midst gesturing grandly as held an audience’s attention. Through the windows Okara could see into the garden beyond where even more people gathered, talking and laughing together. The Starry Night was clearly busy, the early warmth of summer bringing the citizens of Mura out to enjoy spoken art.

Okara noted the woman approach a group of Konti and offer to say a poem. She moved quickly to a comfortable chair near the group and leaned in to listen to the Vantha’s words. Okara nodded along as the woman read off a notebook page, and curtsied as she finished. Okara clapped gently along with the other Konti. Leaning forward, she cleared her throat to get the poet’s attention and offer her gratitude for the poem.

“Pardon me, but that was very lovely. What inspired you to write those verses? And you are from Avanthal, yes? Do you have any poems about your homelands? I would love to hear something inspired by such a place.” Okara smiled hugely as she spoke to the Vantha. Her eyes briefly widened in shock as she realized that she was being rather demanding of a stranger she had only just met.

“Though if you don’t feel like reading them, never mind. I didn’t mean to be bossy, it’s just exciting to have a poet from a distant place read for us. Um, what is the poet’s name as well?” Okara said quickly, hoping the woman had not found her demands rude. The Konti valued respect highly and Okara did not want to disrespect someone who had just been kind enough to gift her with hearing a poem..
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Visi on July 17th, 2016, 4:51 pm

¤

Always did Visi enjoy the spotlight. Despite it only being a mild form of praise, she was gleaming and basking in its rays. This is why she did this. The poem wasn't one of her best, but it came from the heart and she loved getting positive feedback.

She was surprised for a moment when the Konti from outside came and praised her as well. In hindsight, the woman was probably coming in anyway, which is probably why she was standing outside. Still, she was felt a little weird at the thought of being followed. But what the the Konti supposed to do, wait a bell and THEN come in. At least she had another person to revel in her poetry.

"Thank you." She ignored the question about what inspired her, not looking to delve into her late husband. Too fresh a wound. Visi wasn't interested in the wide eyed condolences that always came after, especially from a place where medicine was so advanced. The Konti just wouldn't understand.

"I do have one about my homeland. I wrote it when I was a girl."
Being a Vantha Visi was used to reading people's eyes. Although the Konti's didn't change color the shock, or perhaps embarrassment, was plain to see and the woman's next words backed her assumption.
"You're fine." Her eyes were a shade of lavender, laughing on the inside at how flustered the woman got. Konti were generally friendly. Such a gentle race.
"My name's Visi. What might yours be?"
After introductions were made Visi would read her second poem. Turning to face the group, whether they were still paying attention or not, and the new Konti equally she began her poem. It wasn't long before the group quieted and watched as well.

"Ever winter
it goes and goes.
Morwen's blessing
we love and know.

We work hard
for our Hold, for eachother.
Without us Avanthal would crumble
its fire smothered.

Auroras in our hair,
auroras in our eyes.
They reside in our hearts,
they reside in our skies.

Each Hold is different
but you know what's true...
We're all here together.
May your days be long and your skies always blue."

Her eyes were steel blue, "Did you like it? It's not one of my best. I was very young." The Konti all clapped, but quickly went back to their conversation.
"Maybe you'd like to say a poem?"
Visi
The Strong Silent Type

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Okara on July 18th, 2016, 5:50 pm

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Visi, my name is Okara. I can’t wait to hear your poem.” Okara said with a smile, grateful the Vantha woman was not offended by her abrupt requests. She sat back as Visi prepared to recite her poem, resting her body against the plump cushioned chair. Okara glanced at the other Konti who were also enjoying the poem. Seeing that they did not mind her joining to hear the recitation made her further at ease.

Okara turned her attention towards Visi as she began to speak. She listened carefully to the words of the poem, considering the meaning of the phrases uttered. Okara had met Vantha before and was pleased with herself that she was able to understand the references about the aurora. The beauty of the Vantha people’s changing eyes was certainly worthy of being captured in verse. Okara smiled softly as Visi turned to her, and nodded at her question.

“I loved it! If you wrote it as a young girl you must have a very natural talent, I thought it was very good. Thank you for humoring my request.” Okara smiled and laughed softly. She couldn’t imagine being a young girl and quietly sitting to think of verses. Okara mostly remembered childhood as being up to her elbows in fish oil and slimy seaweed in front of the hearth. But every person had a different talent and Okara was grateful for those who had a talent she could be entertained by.

“Oh, um, I’ve never really written any poems before. I do enjoy listening to them but I’ve never taken the time myself to write any….” Okara’s eyes widened at Visi’s question. She glanced at the other Konti women but they were engrossed in conversation and no longer paying attention to Okara and Visi. Okara struggled for a few moments with something to say, not wanting to offend the Vantha but also not wanting to embarrass herself by standing up and saying something ridiculous she had just thought of on the spot.

“Um, though perhaps writing one would be fun. I don’t really know how to though. Do you have any advice for a beginner? Where does one start in writing a poem?” Okara asked with another smile, recovering her sense of grace. Perhaps with some help she would be able to write a poem though she did not wish to think of what she would come up with on her own. Likely a rhyme about waiting for water to boil and doubtless few would be interested in hearing that.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Visi on July 18th, 2016, 8:46 pm

¤

OocVisi is no longer a bard by trade, sorry if the tone changes. I switched up all her skill points.

Visi smiled.
"Thank you. It's been a long time since I've written anything." The poem she said prior to being asked to say one about her homeland was the first she'd written in ages. The Konti's laugh reminded her of tinkling bells. She seemed rather young and chatty, though most Konti would chat you up if given the chance. Something about this one seemed to shine. A sweet type of innocence that only one secluded in paradise might appear as. It was touching and made Visi a bit sad, as the Konti continued to talk her eyes changed to a dusky blue. When was the last time she was undiluted by the world. Thinking about it, probably her wedding day. A blushing bride, hardly an adult yet. Travel changed her and grief changed her still.

"You've never written any?" Visi's eyebrow raised at the statement. Her eyes were once again that burnt orange. Not that outrageous of a claim, the Snowsong was just intrigued to think that someone wouldn't at least once in their life sit down and gather their thoughts, spitting them out onto paper.

She huffed a sigh. This was going to be a lot of talking.
"Well, first I like to pick a topic. Keep it in your mind. Then, write down words, phrases, even just a brain dump of what you're thinking about pertaining to the topic. Like a soliloquy." Visi took the backpack off of her shoulders and removed from it her book, quill, and ink, setting them down on a nearby coffee table.

"Here, if you want to try." The Vantha didn' mind sharing. "Then you circle all the things that stand out the most to you, try to get a flow. Those you use in your poem. After that you write the words that go around what you circled." She flinched for a second, "As in, you know, writing your poem."

She was nervous, eyes once again that steely blue. There was no way Okara understood all that. "Maybe you don't get it... I'm not so good with speaking." Write a poem, sure. But articulate her words so as to get a point across? Not likely.

Visi
The Strong Silent Type

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Okara on July 22nd, 2016, 12:30 am

“Well I couldn’t tell, you sound like you write very naturally.” Okara said and continued smiling. The Vantha claimed she had not written much recently but that only seemed more impressive to Okara. Visi’s poems had seemed very lovely though perhaps that was only because she untrained in understanding the complexities of verse. Okara noticed the Vantha woman’s eyes turn a dark blue and wondered at the emotions brewing behind them. It made Okara curious whether Vantha eye colors all represented the same emotions or if it was unique to the individual. The question didn’t seem appropriate for the moment so she mentally tabled it for a better time.

“No, never. I’ve always been more internal and never really felt the need to express myself through creative verse before. Though now that we talk about it, it does seem like it could be fun.” Okara replied with a shrug. She was entertained to notice the Vantha’s eyes change color yet again, their meaning still a mystery to Okara. Perhaps as she got to know Visi she would better understand the meaning of their changes. For now, they represented an intriguing mystery to the Konti woman. She was almost envious of her Konti sisters whose talents allowed them further insight to others’ emotions. Only almost, she was happy with her lot in life.

Okara picked up the book Visi set down and opened it to examine a glossy empty page. As Visi began to explain her process of writing poetry, Okara placed the tips of her fingers on chin thoughtfully. She tried to follow what Visi explained but found the process difficult to grasp. Even the first step seemed daunting. Pick a topic? What topic? Okara seemed to think of everything and nothing at once. She had no idea what she could write about on the spot and started to feel nervous about writing one for the first time for a stranger.

“Hmm… interesting. You’ve given me a lot to consider. You explain just fine, I’m sure, I am just very new to this.” Okara murmured, biding time while she thought of what she might write about and set the book down on her lap. “Say, are you interested in sitting out in the garden? It’s a very lovely evening and we should take advantage of the summer weather.”

Okara stood with a smile as if to emphasize the idea. Perhaps the walk would give her some inspiration to a topic, or a way to veer Visi’s attention away from the conversation. Okara turned her gaze to look out a window, looking into the gardens beyond the small main building. Small groups of people slowly meandered around the gravel pathways and elegant flower beds.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Visi on July 25th, 2016, 8:28 pm

¤

"Thank you."
She said sheepishly, eyes their tawny orange. While she loved the attention, the constant praise being rained down on Visi was enough to make her a bit nervous. Visi wanted to tell her that she was more internal too, that poetry was the only real way she liked to express herself but held back. She didn't know this woman well enough to give away all her secrets just yet. She watched while she spoke as the Konti woman flipped to an empty page; her hand caressing it so lightly, then moving up to caress her chin.Such grace.

Nodding at the Konti's words, she didn't understand as Visi suspected. The Vantha stood up with her and stretched her arms wide, giving out a tiny yawn.
"I will walk with you."
It was beautiful here. Plus it was her first time coming and she reckoned she ought to see the sights to judge whether or not she really wanted to come back. Though she might not, everything here reminded her of her late husband. Perhaps along the way they would hear other poems or even a song. Her husband was a fantastic singer, he would have loved it here. Unfortunately he was too ill to see much of the Konti Isle before Dira took him. She picked up her ink and quill and replaced them in her backpack but left out the notebook, outstretching her arm to hand it to Okara.
"You can hold on to this... In case you think of anything while we go."

"You're leaving?"
Asked one of the Konti from the group, the one who spoke to her earlier. Visi nodded slowly. All their eyes were on the two of them.
"Well, what about one more poem before you go?"
Came another one. Visi shook her head "no". The Konti huffed.
"Fine, but next time I see you I'll be asking again."
'Fair enough.' Visi shrugged but smiled, eyes once again that golden yellow. The Konti went back to her friends, their conversation started up yet again. The Vantha then held her arm out for Okara to grasp and whether she did or didn't take it Visi would start her walk around the snake-like gravel path of the gardens.

"I like the fish here."
And indeed she did. They were unlike anything she had ever seen before. Some were multicolored with vibrant hues that reminded her of the auroras of her home, while others were simply white, orange, and yellow. It was the latter that were her favorite.
"I've never seen anything like them."
For some reason the koi, though she didn't know the name, reminded her of a dog. Probably because they would swim up to the edge to greet them as the passed. If Okara was holding on to her arm Visi released her, bending down to stick her hand in the next pond they passed. Unbeknownst to her a few Konti in the gardens saw, and frowned, but even if Visi knew she would still have done it. As soon as her hand touched the surface of the water the smaller, colorful, fish darted away. The bigger ones were stirred but for the most part stayed. She was able to pet one for a moment before it flipped its tail out of the water and dove into the depths, it felt rough from its scales being slightly upturned and for a moment she was reminded of the Konti themselves. She stuck her other hand in the cool water, now fully crouched, and stroked a fish with both hands, though it was fleeting as the fish danced away from her touch yet again.
"They're probably well fed, don't you think?"
She looked up to Okara with lavender eyes, filled with laughter and excitement.
Visi
The Strong Silent Type

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Okara on July 29th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Okara accepted the notebook from Visi and watched as she said her goodbye to the nearby group of Konti. The smile on her full lips stretched into a grin as Visi offered her arm.

“Why thank you my lady.” Okara said with a small laugh as she wrapped her webbed hand lightly around Visi’s elbow, the scales on the back of her hand brushed lightly against the Vantha woman’s garment. The pair strolled through the doorway and onto the pathway. She let Visi take the lead as they strolled along the paths, enjoying the sensation of the coarse gravel beneath her feet. While there had been a few Konti lounging around inside the building there were far more outside enjoying the gardens.

The sun was beginning to kiss the horizon and the shadows beneath shrubs and trees began to darken. The contrast of the darkening shadows made the flowers that were in bloom seem more brilliant and deeply hued. Red roses and orange lilies seemed almost on fire while the purple pansies looked fit to grace the brow of royalty. The pale skin and hair of the many Kontis in the garden seemed more drained of color than usual and practically reflective next to the magnificence of the flowers.

As the pair approached a pond Okara looked down to admire the large colorful fish swimming around. She drew her hand back to her side as Visi knelt to touch the koi. Okara watched her for a moment before turning to inspect a rosebush next to the pond. She moved her fingers along the red petals and then carefully felt the sharp tip of one of the thorns. She noticed the bush had a few dead leaves and reached carefully to pluck them away, avoiding the thorns she had just admired. Okara turned to look at Visi as the Vantha posed her question.

“Oh yes, I should think they are well fed. The poets who come around see to them. Actually all of the garden upkeep is done by the poets and visitors who come here. It’s kind of a community effort for those who love poetry. Or for those who love wine, I suppose. Two Sisters Winery is actually tucked in the back of the gardens.” Okara explained the care of the gardens and demonstrated her point by pointing a finger towards a group of Konti who were trimming a topiary amidst much laughter.

“There are some appropriate tools for the gardens and ponds somewhere… oh, over there.” She pointed next towards a small cabin tucked near where they had entered. Okara considered with some embarrassment that she did not spend much time admiring art that was created outside of the kitchen and so she was less familiar with the Starry Night’s traditions then many other women on the Isle.

“Would you like to feed the fish? I don’t see any food remnants in their pond so they must not have been fed recently. Or perhaps they ate it all. I can’t say I’m well versed in fish care.” Okara said with a laugh. “Are you particularly knowledgeable about fish? As integral as the ocean is to our way of life I feel like I should really know more about the care of fish. This evening has truly shown me my weaknesses, my lack of knowledge regarding poetry and fish! I should begin rectifying that at once.”

Okara meant the last part as a joke and gave Visi a wry smile to indicate as much. She didn’t know if the Vantha had a different sense of humor and wanted to overcome any potential cultural barrier. She was enjoying Visi’s friendliness and felt comfortable enough to joke around a little.

“So how do you like to spend your time, Visi? What occupies you on the Isle?” Okara asked after Visi had a chance to react to her jest, attempting to get to know the dark haired woman a bit better. It was refreshing to actually get to know someone new to the Isle. Okara generally knew by face if not also a few details about a solid majority of the Konti in Mura. It was a natural consequence of an island’s entire native population being able to trace lineage back to the same single goddess that was also Okara’s great grandmother. Newness was an exciting commodity.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Okara on July 8th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Grades and Awards

Okara
Experience
Socialization 3
Observation 2
Composition 1

Lores
Visi: Vantha Who Enjoys Poetry
Mura Location: Starry Night
Composition: First Pick a Topic

Notes
Self grade.

Visi
Notes
Visi, if you should return please PM me and I will provide a grade for you.

Please edit your post in your grade request to reflect that it has been graded. PM me with any questions.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes