Flashback First Steps

The young Orrinade arrives in Lhavit, his new life stretching before him.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

First Steps

Postby Julla Orrinade on June 11th, 2016, 1:51 pm

47th of Spring, 514 AV

Seventeen. He was seventeen with this endeavor. How long had he had traveled to reach this point! Now that he had, it seemed that his work had paid off. Standing before the Amaranthine gate, his eyes traveled its height, marveling at the simplistic beauty of the arch. It's wide columns and shimmering adornments glittered in the fresh sunlight, and the cool mist surrounding the travelers gave a unique addition to an already mystifying architecture. For the first time, the naturally droopy eyes seemed to liven with this majestic discovery.
His excitement of seeing it in the distance caused him to run a ways from the caravan he joined. Up the steep hill he climbed, his weary legs going against the grain of the pebbled walkway. It wasn't until he leveled the top towards the gate that his leaning frame reclined, his body heaving with the drained anticipation. His caravan joined him up not long after, and the leader of the group gave him a good pat on the shoulder. It startled the young man, and the Isur that came up behind him edged a smile.
"We're here, as you've revealed. Do you believe what I've told you now?" The men locked eyes; the younger was thoroughly impressed, and the older's laugh lines became prominent. "What else did you expect, Orrinade? Did you think I'd lie to you?"
"Of course not," Orrinade replied. " I merely had a different perspective than your trained eye. What you knew in your head I had to imagine for myself."
The Isur agreed, "True that is. But now that we're here, allow me the talking, will you? I'm the caravan's leader, after all." Orrinade nodded, allowing him to walk ahead. The others joined him up, and they lead the donkey with their cargo towards the Shinya guards. One beckoned respectively.
"Hail, travelers. What brings you to Lhavit?"
"Hail!"
the Isur called. "We've come to do trade, mostly. However, one of our's plans to remain here. We'll go on without him."
"Is that so?" the guard replied. "And whom would that be among you?"
"The Inarta here, Julla Orrinade."
With the mention of his name, Julla nodded respectfully.
"As is my duty to ask, what sort of trade will commence among you?"
"Only the selling of leathers: bags, satchels, belts, what have you,"
the Leader clarified. The guard's head nodded in understanding, a smile crossing his face.
"Then I wish you luck, sirs and madam (as there was a single woman among them)." With his signal, they opened the entrance for the six to enter, and he was thanked for his courtesy.

The young Julla never knew of the lifestyle of Lhavitians. Considering it was his first time journeying anywhere beyond his home, he was unaware of many things. However, his poor skills with the bow greatly sharpened with his aid of hunting during the journey. He'd assisted in taking down anything small, from squirrels and rabbits, to larger prey, such as deer. Their presence in the town of Sartu was listless, as the caravan had made way there many times before. The addition of young Orrinade added curiosity, but only to the extent of speech with the Isur. He insisted that nothing harmful came of his being there.
As the caravan took the time to set up and sell what they had, they would often find Julla playing with the children. Fascinated by the archer's hawk, the Inarta would often put on a theatrical conversation, widening the children's eyes and making them laugh. He'd ask his hawk (first with hushed whisper and click and then with speech) to do him a favor. In joking manner, the hawk would often retaliate, either nipping Julla's ear or tightening his claws upon his sontav. He would pretend to be affected by the avian's prodding, scolding him with sarcastic manner. At times, the Inarta's hawk would take to the skies, and the children would look up with awe and wonder.
As Orrinade would entertain the children, their parents would be enticed to visit an often seen caravan, and perhaps buy something from the leatherworkers that they admired from afar. While being thankful for extra sales, the Isur was glad to see Orrinade meld quickly with the people he would soon live alongside.
Last edited by Julla Orrinade on June 15th, 2016, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julla Orrinade
Where the wind blows...

Words: 9035
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2016, 12:41 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

First Steps

Postby Julla Orrinade on June 13th, 2016, 9:12 pm

47th of Spring, 514 AV: Nighttime

Once night overtook the evening, their quick make to the Star's Shadow took all of the Inarta's curiosities away. Being upon a remote cliff, the bar had an alluring appeal that he'd never seen in a building before. It was small, but exquisitely unique compared to the remainder of what he'd seen. Seeming to reflect the light of the stars, the night became its illumination, and Julla's eyes glittered with reverence to the bar's composition.
Inside, it was just as busy as any other tavern. The barmaids and bartenders were full at work, and the tables were nearly filled. There was one table, however, that the six could sit at and recline. It was in the back of the bar, and part of the chairs were hinged to the thick wooden walls, creating a bench-like quality. Julla, along with a Human and Symnestra, took to the regular chairs, while the stockier Isur, his large Jamouran friend, and a lanky Vantha inhabited the benches. Not long after conversation ensued, a barmaid came to their attention, recalling all but two of them.
"Ahh, good to see you and your lot again, Sogra (she spoke to the Isur). And Ellin (the Vantha), good to see yourself without a broken leg (he came there last with such an issue). Borra (the Jamoura), hello to you and Igraine (the Symnestra)." When turning to the final two, she paused, unsure of how to continue. Nonetheless, she kept composure, "I'm sorry; I don't believe I've seen you two before. Whom might you be?"
"Lucia,"
Sogra began, "These two men here are Julla Orrinade, our most recent aquaintance (to which Julla nodded respectfully), and Marcus McTerne, my most recent apprentice." With mention of his name, Marcus waved, a smile creasing his face.
The barmaid nodded, "The pleasure is mine. I guess I should know by now what to order, since this is your fourth turnaround here. Two pure spirits for Borra and Sogra, a Lhavitian Glow for Igraine, and an ale for Ellin. What can I get you boys?"
"Merely water for me, unless you have wine,"
Julla replied. She answered negatively, and Julla referred to the former.
Marcus was less blunt with his words. "It would be a pleasure to attempt one of your ales." Once taken, she spoke of her quick return, making her way to the front of the bar. Their conversation continued after her departure, and with the addition of alcohol, became more loose. Ellin attempted to entice the young Orrinade with his mead, but the Inarta flatly refused. With the increase of intake, Igraine persistently asked their new friend where his hawk was, with constant reminder of it being let outside the bar. She would laugh, saying that the Inarta should be careful, lest a greedy man snatch him up to sell. Julla insisted that he was certain of the incapability, but when an opportunity came for him to take some air outside, he would call the hawk to him out of concern.

It was at one point during the night that the daunting question was aroused by the Jamoura: "How are you going to fare when we depart for the next city, Julla? Do you think you'll do well?"
"I hope so,"
he answered. It did worry him how he would fare in such a new place. He'd have to stay at an inn until he found decent work and lodging. Luckily, he'd worked a job before, and knew the natural standards and procedures that came alongside any good standing profession. He'd simply have to find work where he could, and take what was given. For being a man of little things, he was grateful for what did come his way. It was later towards midnight that they finally slumbered out of the tavern, drunk mindsets giggly and emotional with the lingering effects. Julla remained the only sober one among them that night.
Last edited by Julla Orrinade on June 15th, 2016, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julla Orrinade
Where the wind blows...

Character sheet

First Steps

Postby Julla Orrinade on June 14th, 2016, 1:53 pm

61st of Spring, 514 AV

It'd been two weeks since his arrival in Lhavit. During those two weeks, they'd taken up their trading post in Springwater Square while Julla took to exploring the whole of Sartu. From returning to the gate from which he entered to looking out beyond the expansive cliffside, he marveled at every inch he could study!
The soft shimmer of the Amaranthine gate in the early was nothing compared to midday. It seemed almost that every stone that formed the arch were a gem in itself. A brilliant light it would cast upon the cobblestone road, and with turn of head, point to Lhavit's central. A whole city of light, as Julla saw it, and how his wonderment grew!
Throughout his weeklong travels, he met many people, of all ages, races and genders. It fascinated him how many of his own people were living there as well. However, far beyond his own kind, the sheer size and magnitude Lhavit could hold were impressive, and this thought became even more evident as he traveled farther inward.
Tenten, Zintia, Shinyama, Sharai; fascinating names with even more fascinating sights. Their streets and open squares were lines with multiple and single story buildings, both of rare gems and common stone. The diversity of each building to another, the signs that hung from businesses and the upbeat atmosphere that encircled these different sections of Lhavit were all divine opportunities of discovery! Had he known this place not so far, he would have brought his dear mother with him. Alas, he was old enough to be on his own, and she understood his need to leave the nest, essentially.
He would often mutter the word,"Goodness," in sheer reverence of what surrounded him. He could crane his neck back to stare upward, mouth agape, and the mountains would climb higher still. His body would chill with anticipation and nervous energy. He talked with many, respectfully shaking hands and nodding regards to his superiors, no less running about with the children and playing along with their games.
It was when he stumbled upon Zintia, however, that a string tugged upon his heart. There was an odd gleam in his eye with discovering Lhavit's most popular city. Not that the others weren't stunning, but something about Zintia demanded respect. A cheerful city, but a commanding city, and rightfully so. The most breathtaking thing that confirmed Julla's heart was the outlook to the Western Sea. A wide panorama took place there, and with the soft wind bringing a mystifying addition, he seemed to gain a thousand-mile stare. He wanted to look farther, beyond the expansive sea, to discover what lied farther across the horizon. The glittering of light rays upon the sea's clear waters filled an unexplainable satisfaction in Orrinade's soul. He nearly weakened internally from this sight, becoming overwhelmed by its natural beauty.
'Yes...' Julla's mind confirmed,'This is the place to be. This is where I feel called...'

It was two days since his caravan had left for Syka, considering they had allied ties in Falyndyr. Julla urged them to be careful, considering the dangerous land they'd be traversing into. Igraine insisted she had good connections there, and rather with the more potent and blood-thirsty races in general. She'd kept the caravan safe many a time with her common ground, as little as it was. A master of negotiation, she knew what made others tick and swoon. Therefore, Julla felt better with their departure.
Now, on the 61st of Spring, Julla stood before a day-long tavern, the fear of rejection gripping him. He'd heard that the owners were always looking for help, but he was unsure of whether the help he could offer was what they were looking for. Nonetheless, he took a deep breath, let his hawk take to the skies, and walked inside.
Julla Orrinade
Where the wind blows...

Character sheet

First Steps

Postby Julla Orrinade on June 15th, 2016, 4:24 pm

(Waiting for approval before continuing)
Julla Orrinade
Where the wind blows...

Character sheet