Tracking write-up

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Tracking write-up

Postby Cyprus on June 23rd, 2016, 12:58 am

If no one is working on developing the tracking skill stub I would be glad to tackle it, I have some ideas as to how it would function but if somebody else is already work on it I'll prioritze another skill.
Cyprus
Player

Words: 4952
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2016, 12:41 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Tracking write-up

Postby Cyprus on June 23rd, 2016, 2:18 am

The central idea behind my tracking write up is that Tracking is not the ability to see/hear/smell tracks, trails, and traces of life. It is the ability to identify and classify what you are seeing and turn that into useable information. Because of that this skill will naturally rely on observation alot. The higher your observation the better you are at seeing tracks. Then your tracking skill comes in and determines at what speed you can identify said track and process what it means.
Cyprus
Player

Character sheet

Tracking write-up

Postby Vellichor on June 23rd, 2016, 6:53 am

You might want to get a little more feedback on this.

My thoughts are that tracking should include knowing what to look for.
Being able to locate signs of movement or life is still going to be an important part in tracking.
As in...you might be low to the ground while tracking a rabbit (idk) whereas you would also need to pay attention to any loose fur caught on branches if you are tracking a larger being.
Without that knowledge, you wouldn't have anything to identify.
Do you know what I mean?

Introducing a rough outline or an example of a concept will make your ideas clearer for the people who want to pitch in and help.
Vellichor
Promoting weapons of mass creation

Words: 25755
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2016, 3:09 am
Race: Staff account

Tracking write-up

Postby Cyprus on June 23rd, 2016, 3:09 pm

Of course, here is my first rough outline.

Tracking
Introduction to Tracking
Related Skills
-Trapping
-Hunting
-Observation
-Stealth
-Wilderness Survival

1. Where to start Tracking?
a. Identify Habitats
b. Types of Habitats
c. Zones, Areas, and Routes

2. Sign Tracking
a. What is it?
b. Types of signs
c. Understanding and making use of the signs

2. Reading Tracks
a. Identifying the Track
b. Patterns in the Tracks
c. Differences in Tracks

3. Risks of Tracking

4. Tools for Tracking

Skill Level
Novice
Competent
Expert
Master
Last edited by Cyprus on June 24th, 2016, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyprus
Player

Character sheet

Tracking write-up

Postby Aladari Coolwater on June 24th, 2016, 1:37 am

Tracking is completely foreign to me, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what tools would be involved? I know you could use scents to mask your smell, or maybe camouflage, but I don't know if those are considered tracking or hunting tools, or both.

Also maybe include a little blurb about different weather, and the way it affects what you're doing? I think that could go under the "where to start tracking", although it's kind of a "when".

Other than that, I think the outline looks like a pretty solid start to me. I can't be of much help when it comes to the facts, but I can ask questions where it's not clear to a beginner. I can also certainly scan for grammar, organization, and comprehensibility when the time comes.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Tracking write-up

Postby Cyprus on June 24th, 2016, 2:27 am

Tracking is completely foreign to me, so I noapologize if this is a stupid question, but what tools would be involved?

I don't think it's a stupid question at all. There are a variety of simple but highly important tools that a tracker can use to increase the accuracy of his assumptions. An example is a simple stick with measurement indications to allow you to measure animal tracks and the distance between them, this can help you gain insight into the animals size and travelling speed. You would however need previous knowledge of said creature (in the form of lores) to actually make an accurate guess.

As for weather that's a bit more difficult. While some signs may remain it's hard to trust what you may be seeing as mud/dirt/water will erode footprints and signs such as fur stuck to trees or plants could have been blown by the wind. It's definitely along the lines of expert and master level only and even then it's still difficult.

Any support is appreciated :D
Cyprus
Player

Character sheet

Tracking write-up

Postby Cyprus on June 24th, 2016, 2:44 am

Also scents and camouflage would go under the camouflage skill itself. Hunting is so far as I understand a supplementary skill used to support the primary set of skills (tracking,weapon, and planning) which is mainly gained using these skills while in the act of chasing/hunting your prey.
Cyprus
Player

Character sheet

Tracking write-up

Postby Brocton Firestone on June 24th, 2016, 2:57 am

This might be a minor thing though in your outline. I suggest instead of using "Hazards of Tracking." I suggest you should abjure to something like: "The Risks of Tracking." Or something similar.

Hazards to me at least, it feels a little bit too exotic if you know what I mean. Though, tracking could be dangerous I don't think that it would be a technical hazard. You know what I mean? I'm not suggesting this as it's a bad thing to the outline, no. I'm just trying to assist in making the readers feel that tracking isn't as dangerous as the skill "hunting." If I need to be clearer let me know.

Also, you could add Observation as a related skill as you mentioned in your other posts, since you need fairly good eye sight to see any signs of tracks and such. Stealth could be used as well, when one hunter could be stalking prey. He should be stealthy enough to avoid being sighted by the target? Also, how about prerequisites? That probably needs to have a small write up as well. :)

That's all I have for now. If you need anything cleared up just ask. And I'll probably pop back in here to post again or something. :)

I hope you find these suggestions... Somewhat helpful. :)
Brocton Firestone
Player

Words: 100439
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Tracking write-up

Postby Cyprus on June 24th, 2016, 3:23 am

First I do agree with switching hazards to risks, though, I shall edit that in. Same for Observation and Stealth as related skills.

Now as for prerequisites, I don't think tracking has any. The only one I could see as a possibilty would be Wilderness Survival as it has some basic knowledge that trackers would make use of, though I believe that knowledge is just as easy supplemented by lores. That is just my personal opinion though and I'd like to hear if anybody thinks differently as that will be quite important when it comes to developing Tracking further.
Cyprus
Player

Character sheet

Tracking write-up

Postby Brocton Firestone on June 24th, 2016, 3:51 am

This might sound a little off, but even the most simplest skills such as Observation, I think that should be put in the prerequisites. As Tracking relys on Observation. Say: Cyprus has low amount of Observation, what he can see below him are mounds of pawprints engraved within mud. Though, through the thicket of the grass, he doesn't realize any blood spots on the separate blades. Since he's focusing on the mud tracks?

Though, you should definitely add WS in I think that would totally improve your outline more. Maybe enough skill points in stealth as well? Perse when you want to be stealthy while out tracking your target. Land Navigation as well. That should be a related skill/perhaps prerequisite? One can't wander the land without knowing where to go. :)
Brocton Firestone
Player

Words: 100439
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next