The Promise Of A Coming Day (Urkut)

Urkut and Mathias meet for the first time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Gossamer on September 18th, 2016, 5:54 am

41st of Fall, 516 A.V.

Mathias loved the morning. He loved the promise each new day held. And of course the whirlwind of possibilities that came with it intrigued and excited him. He rarely got tired of thinking 'what if'. It was one of the reasons that often saw him up at sunrise. He was curious by nature and driven to succeed. And thus it was that he walked the flotsam line almost each and every day up and down the beach from Treasure Point to Sharktooth Point in the north. Sometimes he found interesting things. Sometimes he just found the dusk melting away to the dawn and that was it. Each way was okay with him. Mathias was content with the variety and the newness of Syka.

He left footprints, a singular track down to Treasure and up to Sharkpoint. They never became more than a single man's steps unless someone joined him. Even when he crossed his own path on the way back north from heading south, there was still an awareness of being alone.

Once, and only once, a young girl had joined him. The ghost was so real, so lifelike, that Mathias couldn't help but see the resemblance between her and her earthly father. James had lost his daughter Veronica young, but Mathias knew more than James' ship bore her name. So too did the spirit that trailed James. Mathias, however, was no spiritist and nether was anyone else he seemed to know. So on that one stand-out day, he let it slide and had simply kept walking, pretending the child was not keeping pace even though she herself left no tracks.

And so it was a similar situation when Mathias came across the fierce looking woman standing on the beach staring out at the waves, her expression unreadable. Once he spotted her, he couldn't decide if she was real or like Veronica, something of a shadow of life lost too early. He didn't veer from his routine. Instead he kept walking, stooping occasionally to gather a treasure from the flotsam line and tuck it into he netted fabric bag he had hanging from his belt.

He waited until he was almost upon her and then stopped, offered her a smile, and said "Hello." It was then and only then he knew she was real. The wind, you see, had chosen that moment to pick up a lock of her hair and toss it. The breezes' sudden motion also brought the woman's scent to him. Clean. Earthen. She smelled like someone who belonged just where she stood.

Silently, after that simple initial greeting, Mathias waited for a response.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Urkut on September 20th, 2016, 1:29 pm

OOCLet me know if this text is too hard on your eyes. I have weird light settings on my screen so I can't always tell.

She had expected it to feel like home.

Everything around her screamed of home. The jungle wilds curled around the edges of the settlement, kissing the sands of the beach with large leaves. The air was humid, thick, and her lungs reveled in its familiarity. Even the low lighting resting on the shacks in the distance spoke of the fires of her homeland in whispered tones. And yet, she felt so foreign.

Could it be that she had been gone so long she could no longer fit amongst these settlers? Could she have been guided astray, to another homeless existence in an empty house?

No. Her expression steeled as she watched the man approach her. He would help her settle, mix her with the locals until she felt as though she had belonged nowhere else. Even though right now, he looked like nothing.

He lingered by various spots in the sand, picking up pieces deemed worthy. Urkut had to resist the urge to roll her eyes at his simplicity. He was so intrigued by the little things. She couldn't imagine him running anything large-scale.

But, She reminded herself, He must be good at what he does, or he wouldn't still be here. In Syka, it wasnt just the people who decided that, but the wilds, nature. She trusted that judgement more than anything else.

So, by the time he reached her, she managed to tuck her pride down and nod politely to the man. "Hello. You are Mathias? I am Urkut of the Tiger Eyed. I am here for settling in." She fondled her sword at her side but left it sheathed. Traditionally, she would offer for him to hold her blade as a sign of respect, but she couldn't know if such greetings were acceptable here. She couldn't risk stepping out of line. Not yet, at least.

"I am here to settle...if you say is good." She added as an afterthought.
Urkut
Player

Words: 31480
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2015, 9:04 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on October 2nd, 2016, 3:55 pm

Mathias took his time looking over the woman, glad she spoke, because indeed she had appeared to him for a moment as a ghost would. He didn't press closer than was polite for conversation on the noisy beach. He wasn't armed nor was he very interested in her sword though he did note she touched it as if she thought of it.

"Well Met, Urkut. Yes, I'm Mathias. It's good to finally meet you. I had heard there was a new visitor around." He said thoughtfully, not wanting to push the fact she was Myrian. "And I think people will be glad to know you want to settle. Do you have a place to stay?" He asked, knowing he had the right to rent out one of the bungalows if someone needed it. "We are offering parcels of land for people who want to move here and contribute to the new settlement... a business of some sort or an offering of services. Are you interested in something like that? It's five acres of jungle, some with beach access, and a bit of coin if you need help starting whatever it is you'd like to do here." He explained carefully. He didn't speak louder than normal, but he did very carefully pronounce his words and stop often. He knew she was a bit shakey in common just by her introduction. And truth be known Mathias had no idea how to speak Myrian at all.

"I can help you pick a place, and get you set up in one of the guest bungalows temporarily until you have a chance to build a place that suits you. Do you have any skills that would be useful here or perhaps a planned business you'd want to run?"
He asked thoughtfully. It was a lot of information, so he wanted to give the young woman a time to process it all.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Urkut on October 10th, 2016, 3:55 pm

He spoke slowly and clearly, as so many did to her. From most it sounded patronizing. It sounded like they meant to pound something into her thick skull, trying to avoid her blood-crazed eyes. But he was different. He sounded genuinely considerate of her, and it gave her pause. He allowed her the time to think, and she took it.

What did she want from Syka? She knew she had skills to offer- survival skills like hunting and tracking and the sturdiness of her blade- but what did she want to do with them? She had choices aplenty, of course. She could become a sell-sword, for protection in all kinds of situations, but how much work would she incur? What if the island was found to be a safs place, away from Dhani assassins and brutal beasts? She couldn't count on work in that department. She could become a trainer of sorts, and teach others to fight. What was it, about teaching a man to fish? Then he won't come back with money?

No, she couldn't risk going into debt on an island with so much opprotunity already. What everyone did need, though, was prey. Pelts, feathers, bones, oils and meats would all be in high demand. They were all necessities here, where food was not something you found at the marketplace.

Her words were just as carefully spoken as his. It qas only a different reason.

"I will need a... " She let the word roll off her tongue cuiously. "Bungalow...for now. Thank you, Mathias. But soon, I will have my own shop and home.

"I am okay for a sword, and I think want to hunt. I will make a place for hunters, so we can sell our prey and help other hunters. If you are helping me start, I would be thanking you."

A hunter's lodge. The word evaded her in Common, but she knew well enough what she wanted. As long as he could get her the materials (and the coin), she would get it done soon enough.
Urkut
Player

Words: 31480
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2015, 9:04 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes