Seeing Sisquoc

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Seeing Sisquoc

Postby Rufio on September 22nd, 2016, 6:11 pm

31 fall 516AV
late morning, warm

rufio was lining her eyes with charcoal. Smudging the black, powdery stick along her caramel skin gently in strokes, while looking in a reflective piece of metal to see what she was doing.
  Making sure to stay steady of hand, making short strokes so as not to draw the line too thick and garish.

A striking Drykas sat next to her, painting her jawline with a brush dipped in red ochre, dried and powdered, mixed with a little oil, when she sighed wearily, carrying on a conversation that had been slowly, surely building to a tension all morning.

"It is not natural, it is—" bad omen "—what you do invites trouble into our craft."

"What do you mean, Emry?"

Rufio put the charcoal down, which she borrowed from Emry, to shape her sign—insisting, inquisitive, defensive—with her question.

The fierce Emry's attentions, though, were taken with applying paint to her face. Using delicate brush-strokes, she swept white into the hollows of her cheeks and raked charcoal along the waterline of her piercing azure eyes.

"I mean what I say, Rufio. Reading Chavi is not speaking with the dead."

With that elusive, evasive explanation, Emry's brushes and cosmetic tools were let to clatter onto the low table as she rose and announced.

"I'm going to eat—" As if an afterthought she bent request into her sign—"Ferem?"

The Elder, who was sitting at the back of the large tent brewing tea over a large black iron brazier, waved her off without looking up. A pipe was perched between her aging teeth, the smoke releasing its pungent, herbal scent into the atmosphere.

Rufio felt unsettled by Emry's jabs, and came to sit by the elder. "What does she mean, Ferem?"

It was just then that the Elder looked up, though not at Rufio, at a Kelvic that wandered in. Fixing the stranger with a dark eye, swirling with corporeal observation, and an orb of blind-white, which was striking in its 'seeing'. It was as if it peeled back the skin, flesh and bone, down to the very soul.

"Do not listen to Emry, child, she speaks of things she holds not ken. Hht-"

The Elder ticked her tongue against the back of her teeth bluntly and gestured with a gnarled hand. Rufio turned, noticed Sisquoc then.
      She rose to greet him with warmth pervading her sign—welcome, welcome. Her ochre gaze met his, ebbing with a smile, and curiosity. She sat down on a cushion behind another low table made of rare willow.
There was unspoken invitation for Sisquoc to sit on the cushions opposite her.

"I'm Rufio."
        Her tone lilted lightly with whispers of a Shiber accent tinting her native Pavi tongue. Syna's light glinted off her nose-ring, and brought out the scattered freckles and copper tones in her ebony hair, fading gently from the Summer.

Ferem puffed on her pipe and sipped her tea, the scents of ginger and honey and jasmine and herbs wafting in the tent, making dreamy the air, and sleepy those who breathed in its intoxicating, heady mix.

Last edited by Rufio on January 14th, 2017, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" When you visit a witch bring an offering:
food, tobacco, alcohol, secrets, sex or death.
"
Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Seeing Sisquoc

Postby Sisquoc on September 27th, 2016, 1:06 am

Sisquoc had awoken that morning with a tugging in his gut. The tugging had been not urgent, but insistent, steadily pulsing in his gizzard.

At first he had ignored it, going about his business. He ate breakfast, dressed himself, and stepped outside to enjoy Syna's waking. He had even begun to go for his usual morning walk, but had found his feet traversing a new route.

Slowly but surely, the feeling in his stomach grew as he neared. Eventually, he stood in front of a tent that he was only vaguely familiar with, its bright blue hues dazzling his eyes. Ferem's Fortunes.

The strange tugging inside him slowly died down as he stood staring at the tent. For whatever reason, he felt he needed to be there. Perhaps it was a divine reason, or perhaps mere wanderlust. Either was respectable, so without further question he pushed through the flap and inside.

Inside was heavy with smoke of long-extinguished fires and the puffing of herbal leaves. The room was thick with it, creating an air of mystery that fueled a fascination in Sisquoc. His eyes split wide open as he took in the area around him, but he stopped entirely when he caught the woman's eyes.

Her eyes were ancient, an echo of time past was hidden behind them, thinly veiled. And yet, there was too some sense of the future, some idea of things to come, as if it were little more than a reflection of her past. By the time Sisquoc blinked, the strange aura was gone, replaced with her harsh clicking and the nearing of a much younger, softer woman.

Her hands made some signs that Sisquoc nearly missed, leaving him little time to rush through expressing his gratitude.

She was colored amber all over, from her hair, to the freckles on her skin, to the soft glow of her eyes. She smiled gently, and he felt that her body blended well with the dreamy quality of the air. Rufio, she had said. Sisquoc took a seat across from her and nodded at her words, though his eyes still searched the tent.

"I am Sisquoc." He offered. "I came here...for...uncertainty." His hands fumbled silently, his eyes still roaming the tent. Almost as if subconscious, his hands moved again to convey his feelings. He managed a quick apology for his lack of focus before speaking again. Sorry. Respect. Awe.

"I think I am looking for a fortune. What do you specialize in, Rufio?"
Sisquoc
Player

Words: 10934
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2015, 5:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Seeing Sisquoc

Postby Rufio on September 27th, 2016, 6:34 pm

" i'm Sisquoc. I came here...for...
        ...uncertainty."

As his gaze roamed the tent, the fortune-teller watched him, responding to his sign—sorry, respect, awe—with non-judgement, accepting, take-time. Mild amusement stole into her smile, too.

Most found Ferem's decor to be eccentric, there were so many trinkets set about, it was oft dizzying.

It gave the half-Drykas a few chimes to gather all she could about the stranger. Letting the woody scents fill her lungs and empty quietly, deeply, her ochre gaze danced across his features.

He bore impressive height, and yet seemed so light, flighty. He was evidently curious, it sparked in his eyes and posture. This made Rufio like him.

He felt different. As she watched him she noticed with mild surprise that she felt oddly comfortable in his presence. She could not place why, so she studied him a little more, gazing deeply, intently.

"I think I am looking for a fortune. What do you specialize in, Rufio?"

When Sisquoc put his thoughts into words, the half-Drykas chuckled quietly as she agreed - seek meaning, seek path. Rufio, superstitiously, attributed his looking about the tent, with this sense of looking for something.

With a flick of her wrist, and a flash of her teeth, the fortune-teller brought out her mother's tarot cards from within a deep pocket in her hide-leggings and splayed them across the table surface with a flourish that was practiced.

"Tarot tells us past, present and future. It might answer questions." Seeking answers.

The placques of hard leather were old. Her fingertips brushed the faded, painted pictures on their rough, well-worn surfaces gently, and she gazed affectionately at them as she spoke.

"Or—I cast the bones." Her happy-grin faded mysteriously, her tone thicker with her Shiber accent, emanating a hue of ominous.

Fear and awe and reluctance flickered faintly beneath her freckles, imperceptible—almost. Ferem, sitting quietly, unobtrusive, settled her unsettling eye on Rufio, gargoyle-like. The half-Drykas did not notice, and elaborated—

"These I cast to see the vibrations of the spirit." And speak with the dead. Her thought ran undercurrent, an echo of Emry's warnings.

"The ancestors tell me what path there is, and what in your past has set you on the path you take now."

Rufio felt her chest rise with a quiet breath and she gave Sisquoc a chime to think on this all, before signing. "Tarot for" specific meaning, questions, answers, seeking direction—"Bones for" broad meaning, journey, ancestors, guidance.

A welcome breeze wafted in through the warm tent, making melodies as it wrapped around and played with the crystals, wood beads and bones hanging from the tent-beams. Which tools would Sisquoc choose?

Rufio
Player

Words: 286748
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2015, 10:40 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Seeing Sisquoc

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on April 7th, 2017, 5:08 pm

let me know if I missed anything.