Open Corridors of Night

A confrontation, an attack, and a cruel man.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Corridors of Night

Postby Karin on November 5th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Image

43rd Fall, 516 AV
Early Evening, as the sun is setting

OOC :
Hi! This thread started off as a simple open thread, but now, well...
Any who want to join feel free to do so.


Karin ached, all over. All it had taken was one miscalculated step, and here she was, winded and bruised, knocked to the ground having slipped down a set of stairs. She gasped for breath and clutched her chest with the pain and fear of feeling as if her lungs were turning themselves inside out. For a long while, the young woman sat curled up on the floor, in a quiet cul-de-sac of Riverfall. The day had been pleasant, but dusk was drawing close with wispy clouds that darkened on top and glimmered with a slight luminance from the falling light of Syna. All she could do as she recovered was stare at that ceiling and watch as the sun gradually and slowly faded down until it disappeared behind the houses, behind the horizon, and the darkness began to creep over the white-painted houses instead.

As soon as she could stand properly, she did so. It was a shock to the system to find herself so weak, yet as she gingerly pressed a finger to her spine, she understood why. All along her back where she had fallen she could feel the dull throbbing of a bruise. Hesitantly she tried bending over, but failed to. Instead, she started to walk towards the very same steps that she had fallen down. She hadn't ventured far, but as she began to make her way up the now dark staircase, she was forced to stop as the dark figure of a man stood unmoving on the very top stair.

Politeness suggested she move out the way to let him pass, but as she was halfway already she decided to press forwards. Yet as she continued to climb, the man failed to move. Now a feeling of anxiety was beginning to stir in her gut. She stopped again, looking back over her shoulder as discreetly as she could. When she turned to face forwards again, the shadow was making the distance between them smaller and smaller. Not saying anything, but holding something in his hand...

Anxiety turned to panic, and Karin turned on her heel and started walking back down the stairs. Yet, as her mind ticked over, she knew there was no way out at the bottom. The houses formed a neat semi-circle, enclosing themselves with a small plot of garden, with only a culvert of water that disappeared into the stone and the staircase leading away from it. She also knew, having been down there just chimes before, that the houses appeared to be quiet and still.

She could almost feel the man breathing down her neck, and with a lump in her throat Karin began searching for her dagger, fumbling to free it from it's sheath at her waist before finally taking it into her trembling hand. The man's pace sounded measured, but Karin fought the urge to run, hoping to give the man the illusion of surprise. Perhaps if she needed to fight, then should would be able..-

Who was she kidding. Karin couldn't fight, not with her dagger, not even with the quarterstaff that lay useless at her accommodation. She wanted to curse, over and over, scream or cry or make some kind of noise but she could almost feel the retaliation the man would wreak upon her. Oh gods. She had thought Riverfall a safe place, and everything she had seen so far had indicated it was so, but now her mind was skittish and racing all over the place. What little she knew about the world could be her downfall.

Image

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
User avatar
Karin
Ocean gazing
 
Posts: 587
Words: 390315
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Location: Riverfall/Syka
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Corridors of Night

Postby Eisen Axt on November 11th, 2016, 11:02 pm

Eisen was exploring, not just anywhere, but in the city! What a glorious city, who knew that such a city existed! The tales of travelers were true, the cites outside of Syliras were truly remarkable. Besides for that, he heard tales of this place being know for its warriors. He chuckles, seeing the sight of the tall blue people was shocking, they were like the size of small hills.

As he chuckles, he comes across a flight of stairs, he raises a brow, hasn't he seen thous stairs before? He turns his head, and thous buildings, and that road!? It seems that he was lost. Eisen puts a hand on his chin, he took the road... yet he ended here? Maybe the stairs would bring him out of this mess? He chuckles as he begins to go down, a key out? Nothing comes that easy. Besides it was late, maybe their would be a guard?

He stops chuckling as he sees the two figures in the ever increasing shadows, he looks to the first, noticing the panic motion of someone searching for something. The other looked to be the reason for said panicking...and he had something in his hand. The scene its-self seemed wrong, like bullies picking on children, yet he heard of this from travelers as well, it even happened in his town.

He takes a silent step down, hopefully, to block the person from slipping past him as he slowly reaches for the hilt of his waraxe.

"Excuse me, but what are ya doing?" he asks as he takes another step down, suspicious of what ever might be happening, hopefully, it wasn't what it seemed like...but he couldn't rely on that, just the facts.
Eisen Axt
Player
 
Posts: 13
Words: 9721
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2016, 7:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Corridors of Night

Postby Karin on November 14th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Image
Karin reached the bottom of the steps and turned, her heart beating wildly, like a moth beating against a flame, just as the stranger intervened and stepped in front of the encroaching man.

"Excuse me, but what are ya doing?"

Karin stood watching, all her muscles taut as she fumbled with her knife and finally held it carefully in her hand, fingers gripping around the hilt too tightly as she folded her hand in her cloak. The stalker drew up short, feet a few inches above the last step. The other man's timely intervention had stalled him, but he still didn't speak to answer the man's question. The stalker's features were obscured by a cloak and hood, but the other was clearly visible. He wore furs, it looked like, obscured though the two figures both were by the looming shadows. Karin briefly let the flicker of curiosity about the heat of furs wash over her mind before she swallowed hard and let her fear take over again.

Not only fear though, but a feeling of frustration. A thousand 'if only's were resounding through her head. If only she had her quarterstaff with her. If only she had the confidence to attack. If only she could attack. She so keenly felt the disadvantages of her current predicament, and as the furred stranger confronted the man, all she could think was that she wished she could fight for herself.

Then finally, the stranger spoke into the tentative night. "You tell me what's going on here." The man broke off again, and made a slight, unreadable movement with his hand under the cloak. "I was just returning home and this young lady was getting in my way. And now you, too. Be off, I tell you." Yet even as he spoke, she couldn't help but wonder why he had been acting so strangely. And why was his hood still up?

She had managed to get a hold of her emotions a little more now, and instead doubt was creeping into her head at the man's words. "If that's the case then why were you acting so oddly..." She trailed off, and held the knife more loosely in her hand. Attack, if there was to be any, seemed less iminent than before, and so she stood more casually. Yet she looked about her to see if there was any means of escape, one that perhaps she hadn't seen before.

Click Me :
Hi Eisen! So, thanks for joining this thread. :) I just wanted to say, feel free to roleplay the stranger as well. It'd be a bit one-sided if it was just me controlling him. I'm thinking that he's a bit of a creep though, but perhaps more cautious than going to outright attack straight off, if even he was going to attack at all. I'm thinking he only has a large knife. Perhaps he's a thief, or something a little more sinister... I'm not sure. We'll see! ;)
Image

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
User avatar
Karin
Ocean gazing
 
Posts: 587
Words: 390315
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Location: Riverfall/Syka
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Corridors of Night

Postby Eisen Axt on November 14th, 2016, 10:13 pm

{ooc=OOC}Hello! Just wanted to say thank you for allowing me to roleplay with you and if you can criticize my writing as well, as I need work on it. Thanks!{/ooc}


Eisen re-adjusted his grip on his axe, waiting for the man to respond, glancing over his shoulder, as he now had better view of the panicking one. He noticed it was a girl, and that she was going for her dagger. He looked back to the man, who still wasn't saying anything as a bead of sweat went down his face. This was a dicey situation, the man was cloaked, the girl was so scared that she went for her dagger, and it was in a dark ally. This kind of thing didn't happen often back at home...but when it did, it tended to go badly. Eisen tightened the grip on his axe, ready to pull it out when the cloaked one spoke.

"You tell me what's going on here." Eisen glanced at the movement, what was that? "I was just returning home and this young lady was getting in my way. And now you, too. Be off, I tell you." Eisen stared at him hard, his grip still firm on his axe as he said in a low voice, almost a snarl

"Sure, but the maiden will be coming with me, and we'll both be heading out of ya way." He had no clue what or who she was, but she needed help, or at least to be away from this guy. He slowly began to back towards her, not letting his hand relax. The cloaked man took a step forward for every two steps back that he took. That made him nervous as he gulped down some saliva, he was scared, but he was more scared of what would happen if he just let it happen.

"If that's the case then why were you acting so oddly..." . Eisen frowned, the guy had started it. He stopped backing up and slightly moved his axe out of the sheath...just in case and glanced behind him with a grin.

"Fair maiden, have no fear, ya be doing just fine." He says as he turns back to the cloaked man with his frown back. "This true sir? If so, could you ya step aside for the fair maiden and I?" He says to him, his axe, slightly more out of the sheath as the cloaked man laughed and stepped closer, making a motion towards one of the houses with one hand.

"She must of seen a ghost, I was just trying to get to my house, and now with your idiocy, you think I'm going to hurt the poor girl." Eisen narrowed his eyes, not budging as the man moved closer, he glanced back, gave her a wink, and turned back to the man.

"I'm telling ya twice, move for me and the maiden." He growled out. Now Eisen waits, to see if the man moves any closer, His axe is almost out of his sheath.
Eisen Axt
Player
 
Posts: 13
Words: 9721
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2016, 7:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Corridors of Night

Postby Karin on November 20th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Image
Speech
OOCHaha, there's no need to thank me! xD Dunnae worry. :)

The other seemed helpful enough, but Karin was panicking slightly, not only because of the implied danger, but because she was not necessarily glad to be talking to two strangers in a dark alleyway. She was not that type of girl. She frowned slightly as the two men had a conversation together, and even more so (even if it was briefly) at the other man's consistent use of the word 'maiden'. Not once had she ever been referred to in that way, and although she didn't feel angry about it, she was unsure how to think about it. What it said about the other man's character though, was another question. Yet she trusted him over the cloaked stranger any day.

It seemed they were coming to a conclusion, and the cloaked man huffed a sigh, just within hearing range of the girl. "Alright, alright. You've convinced me. But you watch it. I don't take kindly to being threatened." And with that, the stranger pushed abruptly past the other man, half-running, half-jogging up the steps and out of sight.

Karin let out a shaky breath, and walked slowly up towards the other man. Now that the two were alone, she just wanted to thank the man and be on her way. Atri's Place had never seemed more inviting than now. She stepped forwards and caught up with the other man. He seemed to be dressed in furs, and upon closer inspection it was obvious that he wasn't one of the Akalak. Blue eyes and blonde hair, like herself, made her question for a moment whether he was a Svefra, but it seemed unlikely. She painted a weak smile across her face and parted her lips to speak, her voice low and growing in strength as she berated herself internally for being so petching weak.

"Thank you... I don't know what he wanted, and I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't been here. Can I... Can I get past?" She motioned to the man, eager to escape from the ever-darkening alleyway, and the silent, menacing houses below. Here was a place she wouldn't return to in a hurry.
Image

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
User avatar
Karin
Ocean gazing
 
Posts: 587
Words: 390315
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Location: Riverfall/Syka
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Corridors of Night

Postby Eisen Axt on November 28th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Eisen sighed relief as he sheathed his axe and wiped sweat from his face. That was intense as he turned toward the girl grinning, he wasn't feeling to brave himself, but it might worry her more if he wasn't friendly.

He blinked noticing that she also had blue eyes and blonde hair....and she was tall, apparently this was a city of giants, for both male and female variety. He tried to smile warmly as he stepped out of the way for her with a motion towards the exit out of the dark ally.

"Sure thing fair maiden, thou would you like an escort back? Just in case the brute comes back?" Eisen asked as he looked her in the eyes, his eyes showed kindness as he broke eye contact out of shyness. He cringed mentally as stood there waiting for an answer, now he sounds like the brute. He coughed as he quickly said
"Errr, or if the fair maiden wishes, I won't.", He smiled brightly, feeling relief that he should now sound polite...er.

As he talked, he took glances around the place, it was getting dark, and it really was an alley. He was glad that that he stepped in when he did as he looked around for any more suspicious characters. He hoped that she took his offer kindly as he waited for a response.
Eisen Axt
Player
 
Posts: 13
Words: 9721
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2016, 7:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Corridors of Night

Postby Karin on December 11th, 2016, 8:55 am

Image

"Speech"

With the man now gone, Karin began to relax. Yet, she didn't grin or feel relief. Instead, she felt her face grow hot as she mentally kicked herself for acting so stupidly. She made movements to walk past the man, when she stopped and half-turned. An escort... If anything she wished she could disappear, not have to deal with any of this. Nevertheless, Karin flicked a brief, stunted smile towards the man and said, "I guess that might be helpful." She considered her words for a few ticks. "Thank you."

She let the stranger lead the way, keeping a wary eye on his back as she walked. It would be just her luck if he turned out to be some madman. She kept her dagger handy, and walked a few paces behind. "Do you know Atri's Place?" It was where she stayed, and where she needed to return. "If you head in that direction we'll be going the right way."

As they walked though, the woman's paranoia died down somewhat. She wasn't really sure why. Perhaps it was stupidity on her part, but it was not like she trusted the man. She simply thought he would have tried something by now, if he had bad intentions. The axe he carried was beginning to draw her attention. She was not at all knowledgeable when it came to weapons, but this at least pointed out to her that she should get practice, and soon.
Image

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
User avatar
Karin
Ocean gazing
 
Posts: 587
Words: 390315
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Location: Riverfall/Syka
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests