What Is and What Isn't [Edalene, Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Matasol on January 29th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Matasol was beginning to see the light of understanding enter here eyes. Her demeanor showed that she was no longer angry, uncomfortable but not angry. It seemed that his calm and logical manner was slowly winning over her passionate arguments.

When she pleasantly (albeit hesitantly) asked to know more Matasol smiled broadly, his teeth flashing white against his dark skin. "Good! I will start at the beginning. My father taught me the use of djed when I was very little. Before he did this I was no more aware of my djed then you are now. He opened my eyes to the beauty of our inner life. Now to show you it's use is more complex..."

Bringing his right hand to his chin, he took a few seconds in thought. "Well I think the easiest way to explain would be to show you." he finally said.

So he began drawing out res and forming it into a thick cloud. Then with a thought he made a layer of it form water. "I transformed this res into water, now if there was more water around I could have drawn it from the surroundings. But also notice that I leave some of the cloud in the middle so as to keep control of this water ball."

As he explained this he lit the outer layers on fire. Separating the two elements with a thin layer of res. "Now you see something that quite obviously wouldn't happen in nature."

He threw the flaming ball of water on the ground, it sizzled it's way out rather quickly without leaving much of a mark.

He leaned against a barrel to steady himself, his knees were feeling weak after the exertion. "Do you see what I mean"
Matasol
Player

Words: 8849
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2010, 5:59 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Edalene on January 31st, 2011, 4:07 am

OOC :
Short post is short. Don't hate me :)

Eda felt awkward standing in front of Matasol. Now that he was ready to teach Eda about djed and magic in general, she had a feeling she would be here for a while. She smiled back at his triumphant face. He was evidently pleased he had managed to subdue angry Edalene.

Instead of standing for the next however long, Edalene flopped to the ground, sitting cross legged on the grassy Endrykas floor. She ignored the slight chill that radiated from the ground up into her spine, and instead focused on what he had to say.

He began to speak, but there was one very important topic that Matasol skipped over - a topic that was essential to the understanding of an ignoring such as Eda. "Um, excuse me, sorry for interrupting. But, uh, how do you USE djed? How do you manipulate it? How does it even make this stuff you pour out your hands?"

Eda felt a chill run down her spine as again he poured out this substance he called 'res' and created a ball of water. Her uncomfortability only increased as the ball itself increased. Eda was sorry to say she shrieked out loud when Matasol set the water on fire. Clearly, she would grow up to be a fearsome Drykas warrior. Or not. She ferll over sideways as she tried to avoid the flying ball of water... fire.... stuff, arms flailing and hair flying everywhere. She finally righted herself, dirt smudged over her cheek, just under her eyes.

Panting, she replied. "Yes, I um. See what you mean. But isn't this stuff dangerous? Doesn't it bother you?"
Edalene
Something more.

Words: 160500
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2010, 9:01 am
Character sheet

Postby Matasol on February 1st, 2011, 9:25 pm

Edalene's question caught Matasol off guard. He hadn't really thought about how he used djed, he just... used it. But with everything there must be a way, and he might as well learn to distinguish it now. "Well to tell you the truth I have no idea... When your initiated into reimancy, the art that I am demonstrating, your teacher pushes his res through your body. You just know how to manipulate djed, however through time you find more ways to use it." he stopped speaking, realizing that he was beginning to ramble. "Does that help?"

Matasol's nerves skyrocketed as Edalene screamed, he clutched the barrel his his right hand and dug his left into his shirt. But the initial reaction quickly passed. He had first thought that the ball of elements had struck her in some way, and his weakened mind hadn't been prepared for a sudden scream.

"Well... yes I suppose it is dangerous. But as I mentioned before, everything has it's risks. In the use of djed there are several risks. The first and most obvious is loosing control of the magic, I could light myself on fire, or drown myself quite easily. The second is harder to understand, but I shall attempt to speak it clearly." he paused to gather his thoughts"Remember that I compared djed to a life force? Well when you use anything that requires it's power, you deplete some of this life force. If you deplete too much too fast you can get very sick. You can even die."
Matasol
Player

Character sheet

Postby Edalene on February 3rd, 2011, 12:58 am

Eda was confused. Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to contemplate and understand this strange concept. So, they just knew how to. But that did leave one question to be asked. "But HOW do you know? That makes no sense that you can just do it. HOW do you know?" Another thought occured to her. "Oh, and what's reimancy?"

She felt sorry for this Matasol. He would likely get very sick of her constant questioning and limited understanding of the world. But, he seemed willing enough to answer them for now. "Initiated? Initiated into reimancy? Don't you just... do it?" Edalene hated to admit it, but she was beginning to get interested in this strange realm. It did not mean she approved of it, Gods knew she didn't. But she was determined to stop being so ignorant and actually learn something about this weird and wonderful world she lived in.

Edalene felt a chill run down her spine at the thought of Matasol with the res stuff leaking out of his hands, mouth, eye whilst burning alive, screaming all the while. Not a pretty sight. Why on earth did she have to have such an active imagination? Still, benefits or not, she didn't understand why someone would put themselves willingly in the line of danger to perform a few magic tricks. Sure, she did that all the time with her sword, but this was different - this was other-worldly. "Have you ever done this? Lost a lot of your 'djed', as you call it?" Eda was genuinely curious, and a little worried for Matasol. She hoped he didn't make a mistake and give away too much of this djed stuff, for she genuinely liked the man, with his more mature and comforting personality. She hoped she would meet him again, after this encounter.
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Postby Matasol on February 14th, 2011, 4:46 am

"Now that question is a little beyond my knowledge, in my case I just knew. I am no scholar and have not researched others thoughts, so I know not what they feel. I speak only for myself"

This girl was certainly quite outgoing, or at least she was after she began to focus on what actually is and not her perceptions. She seemed to have calmed down at least slightly from her moments of temporary insanity, and Matasol was beginning to feel like she wasn't as immature as she may have first appeared. She was certainly jumpy, but he wouldn't have described her as immature.

"Reimancy is the art of magic that have been showing you, there are others such as the web that are very different."

He didn't bother to mention that he also had a working knowledge of the web, explaining that would have left him... highly confused.

"No, a experienced practitioner must show you the workings, and must force their res through your body. It is a... painful process. And thankfully no, I have been fortunate in my practice so far. I am careful not to push myself further than I think I can."

OOCSorry for the short post. Do you want to end it soon?
Matasol
Player

Character sheet

Postby Edalene on February 14th, 2011, 6:43 am

Eda was a little disappointed that Matasol seemed not to know. He said he could only speak for himself, that he did not know other's thoughts - whilst that was true, he made no attempt to offer up his own thoughts. Oh well. He was probably getting annoyed by Eda's constant questioning, so she decided to drop the question and change her course of thought. There were many other things they could discuss other than how this blood magic stuff worked. Maybe no one knew? Maybe Eda could find out for the world! Well, she could if she had any interest in magic. Which she didn't.

Eda was a Drykas, of course she knew what the Web was. Her father was attuned into it, so of course she knew. What did Matasol think she was, an idiot? Though that was quite likely. Eda had yet to find out anything from her father about how the Web worked, so whilst she knew about it, it did not mean her knowledge was sufficient enough. Perhaps she would be more interested in magic as a whole if her father talked to her much about it as a child - he had been wholly focused on broadsword. There was not really a chance anymore, of Eda learning about the Web from her father. That didn't really bother her - she could always meet more people like this Matasol.

The forcing of res, this gooey transparent stuff that had been manifest in his hands, into ones body did indeed sound painful, though Eda was morbidly interested. It sounded like something quite different to anything else she had seen. She couldn't help but wish she could see one of these initiations, though she doubted that would ever happen, and if it did, she would probably regret it as soon as she did.

She was glad Matasol had not expended too much of his djed, for she sincerely liked the man and did not wish him any hurt. She hoped they would meet again. Looking up at the sky, she jolted as she realised it was significantly lower than it was before. Her father may not have cared what she did with herself anymore, but her cousin Yartree was on constant look out for Eda's faults and did not hesitate to report them back to her father. He already disliked her enough, so she tried to avoid antagonising him. Standing up, brushing her leggings down, she smiled apologetically at the man before her. "I am sorry, but I really should be off. I really enjoyed talking to you today. You should come visit me one time! Sunblaze Pavilion. Bye Matasol!" And with that mad dash of words, she dashed madly off.
Edalene
Something more.

Character sheet

Postby Ganmedo on February 21st, 2011, 5:15 pm

Blessings from the Cupbearer

Matasol

XP:

Reimancy + 3
Teaching + 2

Lore:

People watching
Scaring little girls
Edalene of the Diamond Clan
Keeping calm during an interrogation

Edalene

XP:

Intelligence + 2
Investigation + 1

Lore:

Early menopause? Nah!
Being a distraction
Being smug at the misfortune of others
Matasol of the Sunkiss Pavilion

COMMENTS:

Just a note, Nicky. The Drykas tend to be a bit more accepting of magic, as they rely on it to survive. :P

A very entertaining thread. Thank you!
Ganmedo
The Cupbearer

Words: 7348
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 8:37 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous