Solo [Kendoka Sasaran] Mettle

Pulren displays his competency for his Kuvan test.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Kendoka Sasaran] Mettle

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 14th, 2016, 4:22 am

81st of Fall, AV 516

After Pulren had submitted to the bureaucracy of the city and supplied his application for citizenship, his weapons of choice brought their usual second glances. He was informed to make his way up to the Kendoka Sasaran, the armed fighting school of the Akalak. The idea of schools for these things dedicated to the martial education of the citizenry really piqued the Zeltivan's interests. He thanked those who gave him the opportunity and headed out into the streets, wasting no time to find this school.

He had his map which was provided, another sign that he was in the right place. It hadn't taken long at all for him to find somewhere to live. The gleaming white balconies of the Kuahala Estates had greeted Pulren's eyes when he had entered the port the day before. On this very morning, he had woken up in a new bed in a new, spacious apartment at the Estates. The view of the Suvan was breathtaking and only continued to reinforce what he already knew: Pulren had arrived.

Exiting the office, he looked back to to see the large tower dedicated to the Storm Lord towering above the government building. He grinned. So many Divine in this city. So much life! Looking back at his map, he could see that the martial school was on the other side of the tier he was already on, so he made his way, taking in the many eyes that met his new form, most of them the standard blues and purples as they towered over him as well. He grinned and nodded at them as well. Although it wasn't his city, he felt it very well could and would be. Something inside of him felt very right and at home, as much as in Zeltiva. It was a feeling he had longed for.

Passing a massive combat arena, he crossed over the massive waterfall on a main bridge, taking a moment to look down at the dizzying drop from the great height. A strange sickness moved in his gut as the idea of staring into oblivion from a bridge tried to bring back the Aperture and its madness. Pulren shook it off and continued on with renewed purpose. He turned his attention instead to two major buildings. One was an academy for the Akalak, the other a medical facility. Both warranted later perusal but the closer he got to his destination, the more Pulren's eyes fixed to his feet and his breathing.

After passing a massive group of festively colored tents in a marketplace, he could hear the shouts of training and battle ahead. He had arrived at the Kendoka Sasaran. The great metallic doors swung open rather easily, looks from the students and teachers inside meeting the human as he entered, pulling the doors closed behind him. A large purple man, possessing a kind of quiet thunder, approached Pulren and greeted him. "Hello there. I am Sohryn Nurhahj. Welcome to the Kendoka Sasaran. How can I help you?"

Pulren nodded and greeted the purple man, sensing the power present before him and respecting it. "Greetings. I am Pulren Marsh. I recently visited the Riverfall Aid Center and was told to come here to test for my Kuvan citizenship." The larger purple hued man raised his eyebrows at the mention of the word Kuvan, nodding and beginning to surmise Pulren. It was something he was used to, either by teachers, peers or opponents. He did not return the look out of respect.

"You wish to join Riverfall as a citizen? May I ask why?" Pulren was not surprised by this question. He expected some kind of screening. It seemed like the Aid Center just waved him through the bureaucracy. "I have traveled all over the world and still, yet when I arrived here, I felt as if i was at home. Only in my native Zeltiva have I felt such a thing." Another nod and raise of eyebrow. "Zeltivan? You are far away indeed. A man of the sea, then? Please follow me to the back of the room." It all seemed very normal and ordinary, though the Zeltivan had senses that came with his job title. He saw the eyes on him and he returned those looks. They were all students of life as he was.

Once they made it to a rack of weapons, real and wooden, Sohryn turned on his heel and flourished toward the weapons. "I assume since you came here, your specialty is with weapons. What are your weapons of choice?" Looking around, Pulren's own eyebrows rose when he did see a trident, albeit a wooden practice variety. He looked to the master for a visual affirmation that he could help himself. Another flourish and nod was given and he handled the trident. Taking it in both hands, he felt its weight, which was a little off due to it being wood, but it would suffice. "I usually also use a shield. I can or not, as you wish."he returned to the place he had begun, trident in hand.

A laugh came from the purple master. "A true man of the sea! All you need now is the mark of the Sea Father, but of course, you are no Svefra." Pulren smiled and pulled his linen shirt out of his pants and pulled it over his head, folding it and putting it against the wall. Returning to his place, he turned to show his Oceanus mark with pride. "Sea man through and through." The eyebrow rose again, the Akalak adding, "I am impressed. Let's just start with the trident." He looked to his right and a student came up with a spear. It wasn't a practice spear but it didn't look especially sharp. "Do you agree?", the Akalak asked of him.

"Aye.", he replied. Pulren had no expectation of beating the man before him. There was little doubt that should the Akalak wish to dismantle him with the spear he was holding, he very well could. Pulren didn't expect him to do so, but he treated the spar with the same respect that he would give to any other fight. Besides, the point was to prove his ability to defend himself and the city. He watched the purple man take the spear up into both hands and Pulren did the same with his own trident.
A Gossamer Template
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on November 17th, 2016, 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

[Kendoka Sasaran] Mettle

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 17th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Pulren's eyes scanned the stance of Sohryn's feet. Slightly apart, turned slightly to face him. His knees slightly bent, waist flexible. He turned his feet and center in the same fashion to match him. While he had his own way, the Akalak had years of nothing but fighting, so his footwork would be an important lesson in itself. "Do you see something down there, Pulren?"

Pulren's eyes came back up toward the taller and more purple man before him. "I was just noticing your stance, Sir. Everything's a lesson." A grin swelled up on Sohryn's face. "Yes, yes it is, Pulren. Shall we try moving our upper bodies a little? The spear tip moved in small circles to deliberately catch Pulren's attention, which it did. Pulren nodded in assent to the query, tightening his grip on the shaft of his own weapon. He knew that the Akalak did not know him or know what he was capable of. This is what he would have to prove, not for his survival, but definitely to prove his worth to a society that expected nothing but the best, so that would be what Pulren offered.

A forward stab of exploration shot forth from the Akalak, the trident moving in kind to push it away. When Sohryn would move to the left, Pulren would move also to the right, continuing to keep them separated and facing each other. Another slash came down toward the feet, Pulren moving to block it as well. Then one came right toward his head. He reacted normally instead of as a practice dummy, his body jumping to the side and his head naturally moving away, though his gaze remained on the weapon and its master. There was no gap in action, the spear coming back toward the head on the other side, Pulren's own head and neck ducking and rolling around where the spear swished near his ear.

Sweat began to bead on his forehead and chest, his own trident pushing out toward the Akalak to also make space. He stabbed toward the chest, the left shoulder, the right shoulder, the right forearm, the left forearm. Each stab blocked and countered by a kind of rolling action with the spear. Pulren did his best not to get mystified by the action, jumping back and turning the trident in his hands, his grip loosening a little. Sohryn chuckled. "A good warmup.You work hard to disarm your opponent." Pulren nodded, maintaining his breathing and relaxing his stance for a moment. "A fight is easier when the opponent's weapon is gone. My unarmed fighting is not so great. It is important for me to maintain the tempo and command the battle. End it as early as possible. Not with you, of course." He laughed, though Sohryn didn't.

"Why are you doubting yourself? That is no way to win." Some kind of change occurred in the man's eyes, his countenance darkened and he moved in with a volley of strikes. Pulren moved to protect himself, blocking with the shaft of the weapon, moving his hands when the other wood tried to smack them, moving his feet and staying a moving target. Everything he knew he was applying to the fight but the relentless attacks continued to come. He didn't have time to act or respond. Talking time was clearly over and the Akalak seemed determined to draw blood. Pulren felt he had to darken himself as his anger and frustration continued to build. If he crumbled in Nyka, in Sunberth, in Sahova, he would have been killed, flayed, even eaten alive.

His brow tightened and his face flattened. He felt the blood pumping through his body and he knew that he had to survive! If he had his shield he could make more physical interaction but without it, he could easily get wrenched by the man's powerful musculature. He jumped back and ran in a half circle, the Akalak giving chase, striking at his heels along the way. It was all going wrong! Uncle! The mantra helped and Pulren seemed to awaken, his fear pushed aside abruptly as his desire to stay alive became the primary goal. When the spear tip hit the ground at his feet again, he stomped down on it, the metal flattened against the wood, the trident's tines coming swiftly aftewr and hooking the shaft. A violent push of the weapon and a kick of his foot sent the spear clattering across the room.

Sohryn jumped back and put himself into a serious stance of unarmed self defense. Pulren kept running until he picked up a round, wooden shield next to the weapon rack. he had no intention of going against the unarmed Akalak, but he would do the only thing he could do at the moment: He could change the pace of the fight. A rumbling laugh came from behind him. Pulren still felt on edge, his movement still fluid, his grip finding the shaft of the trident in his right, the shield in his left. Once he stopped himself, he looked in each direction to find Sohryn still standing across the room from him, his spear in hand at ease.The darkness in his face seemed to lighten as easily ads a meadow as a cloud passed over it.

"I'm glad that you got over yourself and your self doubt." Sohryn smiled, some sweat on his own brow, a thing Pulren appreciated. The human was well soaked, seeing the moment to take a small break and take a knee. Crouched there, he put the shield and trident down for a moment and looked at the grains in the hardwood floor. Then he stood and walked over to his shirt, using it to dab his face and wipe the sweat from it, folding it back up after. Returning to his weapons, he bent to retrieve them when the spear tapped rather hard on the floor across from him. Looking up, Pulren saw that Sohryn wasn't done speaking. The Akalak said, "Let's take a moment to review before we begin again." Pulren nodded and shrugged. He could use the break.
A Gossamer Template

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

[Kendoka Sasaran] Mettle

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 3rd, 2017, 1:42 am

Taking a seat with legs crossed, the shield under his butt and the trident across his lap, Pulren sat up straight to listen to the master. Sohryn began to pace slightly, his hands flourishing in a very matter of fact way as he explained Pulren's efforts. "There is little doubt that you are a practiced fighter. I worry about your ability if you happened to be unarmed, however. We do have another facility, the Tuvya Sasaran, which deals with unarmed combat. I think you should visit there at some point in the future." Pulren's brow furrowed, his mind wandering to the possibility that his lack of unarmed skill might prevent him from becoming Kuvan. The thought almost seemed to transmit to his martial superior, Sohryn chuckling a bit. "No worries, friend. I can tell that you are well trained and will have no difficulty in assisting in our defense."

This proclamation put the Zeltivan at ease, his shoulders relaxing and breath coming a little easier. "With that out of the way," Sohryn continued, "Perhaps we might really see what you can do without the threat of citizenship looming. You do wish to learn more, yes?" Pulren grinned and nodded, his countenance scanning the boards of the polished floor once more. He rose and took his weapons in hand, this time prepared for some proper training. this time, Pulren took his normal stance, feet apart, right slightly in front of the left, shield up in left hand at chin level, trident parallel in the right hand. Sohryn nodded and flourished with his spear in a delicate but deadly manner. "Attack!"

Pulren moved in slowly and cautiously, each step with a purpose. He moved to the right slightly, sidestepping as his trident shot down at Sohryn's feet. the Akalak moved his own spear out, raking away the trident with each stab, the spear sliding up and out at Pulren's face so quickly that only reflex saved him from a scar as he listened to the clink and scrape of metal along the shield face. He jumped back as he could hear the footfalls approaching and he caught the poke of the practice spear in the thigh, it's dulled end only there to make it known that he would be in real trouble in a fight.

"You're telling your moves with your eyes. You were already attacking my feet before the trident moved. Do something unexpected. You are bleeding profusely from your thigh now, not much time left." Pulren knew he was right and it filled him with humiliation and rage. Sure, he was supposed to keep his emotions in check but this was a ten pound bag of bull shyke! With a roar of frustration and anger, Pulren quickly jumped to the left and added a step or two, to clear the reach of the spear. With no looks, he simply threw his shield as hard as he could at Sohryn's head, the Akalak jumping back in surprise and pulling up his massive arm to deflect the projectile.

When his massive arm did rise to block it, Pulren ran and slid on his knees, his trident finding purchase in the Akalak's ribcage, each tined lined up with a space between each rib. If Pulren was bleeding out from his thigh, Sohryn was down a lung. As expected, the dull spear tip quickly came around and caught Pulren in the cheek, though he did try to shield imself a little. It was also unexpected and he fell over neatly. His face already stinging, sweat sliding into his eye and increasing the discomfort, he heard the footfalls once more. A smile was on the Akalak's face and one more thing reached for him: A hand.

Once on his feet, Sohryn, bowed to Pulren and Pulren returned the show of respect. "That was a surprise, indeed. I welcome you to Riverfall, Pulren Marsh. I will write up your approval and you may return it to receive your tattoo. I hope you stay with us." Pulren grinned as much as his swelling face would allow. Pointing to the mark under his eye, he noted, "Look, I'm turning purple already!" With that, he waited for his proclamation.
A Gossamer Template

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)