Questions about Striders

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Questions about Striders

Postby Ashka Windrunner on December 21st, 2016, 4:18 pm

Hi all !

I am fleshing out my character's background and her family, and I have some questions about Striders I could not find the answers to. If anyone has seen this somewhere please share, it'd be much appreciated !

First, how old do Striders live ? If they have the lifespan of normal horses then I guess that mean Drykas bond with several horses through their lives. But then how does the transition happen ? The lore says losing a Strider is like losing a limb. I imagine a rather painful and traumatising event. Would the rider have a period of mourning to respect maybe ? From what I understand, Striders are considered members of the family.

Second, are there any Strider breeders in Mizahar ?
Those animals are considered intelligent, and very precious, and I can't really get my head around how people would manage to keep them, breed and train them like other horses.
On this note, what happen if a Drykas bonds with a Strider owned by someone else ?
Do they trade/sell it ?
Does the owner just let it go ?

I have been thinking about this for a while but didn't find more detailed explanations. And it is kinda bugging me.

Thank you for taking the time to read, any contribution or comment would be helpful !
Pavi Grassland signs | Common | Nari
Ashka Windrunner
Player

Words: 101161
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2016, 9:54 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Questions about Striders

Postby Brocton Firestone on December 21st, 2016, 4:39 pm

1. I believe Striders live a little longer if not, then the same amount of time span since of it's unique breed.

2. The normal breeders of Strider's are usually Drykas, but then again, they could be anyone, really.

3. If you mean, when the Strider bonds, while it's still in the presence of it's owner to some other Drykas, then I believe it bonds, but I have a feeling that the Drykas would have to pay the owner of the Strider, unless, the Owner is bonded to the Strider. Then, it won't be possible I don't think, unless the original Owner of the Strider, dies, and that gives player A the opportunity to bond, unless the Strider of course, doesn't want to bond with Player A.

If anyone has any other info, please share. I think I've answered some of the questions. Hope that helps Ashka! :)
Brocton Firestone
Player

Words: 100439
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2016, 11:20 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Questions about Striders

Postby Khida on December 21st, 2016, 8:58 pm

You might check out the Cyphrus & SoG Q&A thread. I recall some of these points are touched on there.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Questions about Striders

Postby Ashka Windrunner on December 21st, 2016, 11:19 pm

This was a very helpful thread indeed, I learned quite a bit.

Thanks to both of you !
Pavi Grassland signs | Common | Nari
Ashka Windrunner
Player

Words: 101161
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2016, 9:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Questions about Striders

Postby Prophet on December 22nd, 2016, 2:51 am

Ashka Windrunner wrote:First, how old do Striders live ? If they have the lifespan of normal horses then I guess that mean Drykas bond with several horses through their lives. But then how does the transition happen ? The lore says losing a Strider is like losing a limb. I imagine a rather painful and traumatising event. Would the rider have a period of mourning to respect maybe ? From what I understand, Striders are considered members of the family.

Horses can live up to 30 years or more. Given the lifestyle, the landscape and the way things have been in recent years, I would say that twenty would be an old horse around Endrykas. If a pavilion had a small herd, the horses' lives could extend longer.

Ashka Windrunner wrote:Second, are there any Strider breeders in Mizahar ?
Those animals are considered intelligent, and very precious, and I can't really get my head around how people would manage to keep them, breed and train them like other horses.

Your question brings to light a much needed revision; Steeds & Yves. A previous ST had conjured this nice location as a place for people to buy horses. Aside from Seme's to pull their wagons and a few random smaller breeds to train children, there's no need for a bunch of exotic horses. Drykas have striders and let's be honest - striders are the best. In a short time, I'll get a location up which will satisfy your initial question.

Ashka Windrunner wrote:On this note, what happen if a Drykas bonds with a Strider owned by someone else ?
Do they trade/sell it ?
Does the owner just let it go ?

Given the nature of these questions, I would generally leave that up to the writers involved.

That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Questions about Striders

Postby Ashka Windrunner on December 30th, 2016, 7:12 pm