The Oncoming Darkness [opened]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

The Oncoming Darkness [opened]

Postby Red Daghul on January 11th, 2011, 6:38 am

Winter 510, day 11

The night wind blew coldly across the damp forest lands pushing a chill to all parts of the woods. The ground hidden beneath the damp sea of leafs left by fall. Red was amazed at the fact that the snow had not fallen as of yet, but the night seemed to dare a storm.

Hidden in a make shift shelter Red huddled close to his burning fire, which was no easy task getting started. The wood was wet from a light rain the day before, and did not catch flame like dry wood would do. No it was a hard night, but now dry and warming up he felt better. Daghul, Red's eagle, had taken shelter in a cave higher up where Red would normally be with him tonight he camped so he could start hunting early.

There was much of the night left, and soon he would wake Daghul for his watch of the camp. The quiet night left him in his thoughts most having to do with a emptiness he felt. Oh finding Daghul was something specail and gave his life perpose as a endal, but this was something different and he could not put a figer on what it was. It was not a saddness, or a angery rage just a simple hole in which should be filled... but by what was the question.

Thoughts of this tormented him as the minutes passed by slowly, and with out change in the night Red found himself sliping into a half sleep where his dreams became real.

A darkness hung about, but not complete more like a dark veil over your eyes. Figures moved about muttering something one could hear but not make sense of the words as they were just out of reach. One might say it was cold, but it might also be could hot. Things were muddy and hard to say just what they were.

In the sky birds flew around a warm amber light that burned slowly in the sky, and Red found himself staring deep into it as it began to burn deeper and become more and more intense "wake brother, wake" the voice rang in Red's mind reminding him of something "something comes" with that the amber light grew once more this time brighter and then all was white

Red woke with jolt as he reached for his talon blade and quickly ready himself, for something grew closer sounds of foot steps in the night rang out in the dark ofthe night. Thoughts of a bear early rising from his deep sleep, or a wolf stalking his came came to Red's mind. Holding his blade ready for attack the Endal waited to see if this stalker of the night would pay him a visit.
Last edited by Red Daghul on January 14th, 2011, 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Daghul
Endal

Words: 161213
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2010, 2:08 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The oncoming darkness [open]

Postby Ker on January 12th, 2011, 6:32 am

It was just one of those times when Ker was bored. During these not-so-rare moments, Ker liked to wander the inner-workings of Wind Reach. And though normally this was an effective solution, tonight it wasn't. She had finally exhausted the caverns.

Quickly, however, she formulated a plan, and like many of her plans, it was a tad irrational. Well, more than a tad. This particular plan was also rather impulsive. She decided that she should explore somewhere new, "somewhere new" being outside.

Ker soon found that entertaining herself outside was easy. Having never ventured into the wilderness before, there was plenty of things she had never seen, and the lack of snow prevented her from getting too cold. Her fascination kept her wandering for hours. She didn't even notice the time...

...Or the fact that she was lost.

By the time that she finally got some inkling of a problem, it was when she heard an unusually loud bit of rustling coming from nearby. Ker panicked. She had forgotten about the possibility of being attacked!
Last edited by Ker on January 15th, 2011, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ker
Do you know what I mean?

Words: 2639
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2011, 8:44 am
Character sheet

The Oncoming Darkness [open]

Postby Red Daghul on January 12th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Red's eye narrowed as he watched the front of his makeshift hut, and his ears were atuned to everything as his heart beat in his chest. Something was out there, and it stopped not far from his hidden home. "Daghul, I may need your help. Be ready he sent to his eagle as he slowly put his talon sword down and replaced it with his bow.

Knocking a arrow Red moved to the covered door and listening one more time to try and determine if a surprise waited for him on the other side. The night gave no clue to wether or not something hid in the darkness. Peeking slowly around the clothe door the Endal prepared himself for the worse, and the arrow cried to be let loose at the first sign of danger.

Red let out a sigh of relief as he found himself staring at a young Inarta about 50 feet away from him. She looked cold and lost, and yet startled if he was not mistaken. Slowly walking towards the girl still wary about what might be stalking him in the night. Dark winter nights had a way of shrouding danger. Every step came slow and easy till he was 20 feet away from the lass "Girl, what are you doing out here?" he eyed the area around him again "this is no place for you to be".

Something was off his eyes had seen something, but he could not put a finger on it. What was the did that brush just move, was there something behind that tree. Everything cried alert as a low growl rang low across the snowy floor followed by the biggest wolf Red had ever seen. It's fur was a dark grey and dry blood on one of it's shoulder. The wolf bared it's teeth and moved towards the girl seeing it's next meal.

Red quickly drew his Bow to his face pulling the string back to his cheek bone, taking a breath in and out he aimed and let it loose. The arrow flew through the air like a bird in the spring, but before it could reach it's taget the wind through it wide hitting a tree next to the wolf. Quickly reaching for another arrow Red watched as the wolf snapped his head towards him and charged. Knocking his arrow Red rushed to get the arrow in the arrow, but this one only nicked the wolfs leg.

Red moved swiftly through the white ground bending around a tree as he knocked his third arrow. The wolf could be heard coming nearer it's evil grin let a low growl out as Red rolled away from the tree, dropping to one knee, and took aim. The wolf being only ten feet away was a easy shot, but with the wind and the quick aim Red worried that his shot might once again miss target.

resting on his one knee Red slowly looked up, his heart bursting in his chest sweat beading on his brow, and he was almost sure he would find the raggy wolfs face staring into his eyes. There in the snow just feet away from Red lay the wolf a arrow peirced right in between his eyes. Red let out a breath that he was surprised to find he was holding "that was to close".

"nice shot Brother" Daghul sent through to Red's mind, and Red gave a small cuckle.

"Your timing is perfect you know" the eagle let out a screach to say "thanks you" ingnoring the fact that Red was being sacastic. Moving through the woods Red quickly found the girl he had found before "quickly follow me" he said as he motioned to his hut.
Red Daghul
Endal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ker on January 12th, 2011, 10:45 pm

"Wha... what?" Ker blinked, confused. Everything had just happened so fast! She looked at the other Inarta blankly for a moment, processing what he had said. "Oh," she replied, and walked towards the hut.

As she made her way there, her brain started working again, and many thoughts began to pop into her head. That... was scary. Then again, why should I expect any different? It is night time, and I was outside, alone, without much fighting skill. If it wasn't for this good fellow, I would be dead!

Ker glanced at the man beside her. He must be an Endal... No one else in their right mind would be out here in this weather... except me. She grinned, and looked up at the beautiful night sky. How lucky can I get?

She entered the small hut and shivered, suddenly nervous. "Err, thanks for that," Ker mumbled, staring at her feet. "I really appreciate you helping me out."
Ker
Do you know what I mean?

Character sheet

Postby Red Daghul on January 12th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Red let the girl enter the hut first and gave a quick check of the suroundings before entering himself. The girl started saying her thanks and Red listened with out saying anything else as he started replacing his bow and arrows to their homes. "Are you hurt?" Red started going through his pack trying to find one of the small game he had caught earlier and put it on the fire.

It was odd for one so young to be off this late in the woods, even he a Endal knew that it was not safe to be alone out here. If it were not for Daghul he would have deid years ago on a hunting trip, and even then they had found themselves close to death.

Finding a rabbit he had caught just hours before he started to prepare it to cook. There was not much left to do as he had been planning on eating it just before all this started. Still waiting for a answer to his question he put the rabbit over the fire on a spit. Looking to the girl he waited for a answer.
Red Daghul
Endal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ker on January 12th, 2011, 11:35 pm

"Hurt? No, I don't think so," she said, tilting her head to the side, then looking up at him. "By the way, what is your name? Mine's Ker." She smiled, then stopped, realizing something. "Err... I'm not in trouble, am I?" Ker gulped.
Ker
Do you know what I mean?

Character sheet

Postby Red Daghul on January 12th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Red nodded at the response that she was okay, but for the most part he was thinking about what to do as he kept cooking the food. The cooking meat was a relaxing smell and soon Red drifted into thought. The girl would need to be returned, but they were easily a day away from wind reach. Not to metion the fact that he needed to finish hunting for the reach. They could ride Daghul back it would only take a few hours... that might do it.

Suddenly he remembered that she had asked him something "Red, it is nice to meet you Ker" he turned the rabbit on the spit and added "no, your not it trouble, but if you don't mind me asking why are you so far from the wind reach in this weather?". trouble? it was not really a crime that he knew of to leave the reach, but it was a dangerous thing to do with out preparing.

The night wind was picking up and after checking quickly snow was falling again that would make taking Ker back just a little bit harder. Tomorrow would make travel hard, hopefully the storm will be over by then. Checking the rabbit again Red took it off the spit and handed a wooden bowl to the girl and started to cut the meat as he listened to the girls answer.
Red Daghul
Endal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ker on January 14th, 2011, 12:09 am

"Thanks." She accepted the bowl he handed her with a smile, and scooted closer to the fire. "What am I doing here, you ask? Well..." Ker paused, staring at the flames with a thoughtful look on her face. What was she doing here? How could she put it without sounding like an idiot? "...I was bored." Ker turned red, and looked away. That was definitely the wrong thing to say. Shoot, I've got to fix this!

Ker sat up and cleared her throat. "I mean, there was nothing to do, no one to talk to... It's not like I have any friends, anyway..." She turned red again. Stupid! Stop talking! There is no good reason for him to know any of this! "Er, all of the other Yasi my age have already been chosen as apprentices..."

Ker fidgeted, unsure of how to continue the conversation. It was really quite awkward. I'm so bad at this... I suppose I need to get more practice talking to people.
Ker
Do you know what I mean?

Character sheet

Postby Red Daghul on January 14th, 2011, 2:58 am

Red pulled out his knife and started to eat the hot rabbit that was releasing a wonderful aroma. The Endal listened to the girl stumble over her reason for being out in the forest. Ker seemed to turn a bright red, which made her hair look even redder. Red took a bite of his food not looking at Ker hoping that it would make her feel like he had not seen her turn red.

Red finished chewing and looked up at Ker as a cold draft of air swept into the hut. It was getting late and the day would be long on the marrow "Well, you have guts Ker" he said as he moved to grab some of the furs he had next to him to give to her "Not the most safest place to explore, but then again I was never one to take the safe road either".

Red motioned to a small bedding area he had made and used during his hunting trips "you can take the bed tonight you will need you strength we have a long trip tomorrow". Red then moved to the door and started to make his own make shift bed for the night, then he let Daghul know he was going to bed and it was his turn to watch.
Red Daghul
Endal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ker on January 14th, 2011, 3:42 am

Ker nodded, and walked over to the bed. She pulled the covers over her, and closed her eyes. Not too shabby of a day, eh? I could do with more of these. She smiled, then fell asleep, a task that was surprisingly easy for this weather...
Ker
Do you know what I mean?

Character sheet

Next