The Rearing Stallion: Relaxing after a long day

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: The Rearing Stallion: Relaxing after a long day

Postby Niall Raghnall on November 2nd, 2009, 3:44 pm

So the short one played with fire for a living. Niall had assumed that the fires would have been from a forge, but obviously would have been wrong. It brought a smile to his face imagining a person walking on fire for entertainment. He was glad that it did provide an income for Terminus but could not help but wonder why people would be so gullible as to pay to watch it.

Guido had been digging in the mud in order to look how he did. Once again, Niallwas wrong in his assumption that the man dealt in livestock. Of course, he did not explain at first why his was digging in the mud which left Niall curious to hear more. Guido worked odd jobs on a daily basis to make a few coin here and there and held a love for researching old ruins. It was easy to grasp why he had to work daily jobs for coin because researching the old ways didn't sound like a money maker; sounded more like a thirst for knowledge.

Niall did not show any form of anymosity for what they did. People were people and did what was necessary to live. He did not believe in those that refused to put in an honest days work for an honest wage like these two gentlemen did. Those that sought out darker means to make a coin would face people like Niall if those darker means went against honest people. The Knights believed in the protection of the innocent even if it cost them their life.

"Well I serve as a scout within the knighthood, surveying the land to investigate rumors that came from outside the walls of the city or patrolling the lands in search of potential threats to the city of poeple travelling outside the city walls. I have never enjoyed extensive crowds and like the solitude of the outdoors. Even this place gets to be too much for me once it is full. I am honored to meet those such as yourselves who work for a living by honest means. Unfortunately, as the city gets bigger, there are those that would prefer to rob or steal to make ends meet. Though I feel for their situation, I cannot allow such harm to come to others. It is against the code."

OOCThanks for letting me know that; I'll have Goss fix immediately :)
Niall Raghnall
Player

Words: 19913
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Terminus Norin on November 4th, 2009, 4:06 am

Terminus nodded as he listened to Guido and Niall speak of their professions and he could sense strong emotions from both tied into what they did for a living. Guido seemed disgruntled except when he spoke of Archeology. Niall on the other hand was as passionate as he sounded, that was to be expected of a Syliran Knight whose calling was true. He wondered about the tales he had heard of Akalak amd their violent other nature, Niall seemed quite pleasant, simply very passionate about his call. The mark on his breast grew warm as he sensed the emotions, but gave no outward indication of its existance.

lord Ivak how it must thrill you to sense such things and to seek the balance of them. He smiled lightlty and sipped his ale.

I agree Niall, those who do not seek an honest days work for an honest days living should be prevented from taking thei living from those that do.

He smiled warmly.I have found that solitude can bring great balance and seek it when I have need of it. But I have been far too long alone, tis time to be among felllow beings again. He looked right at Guido and asked

So Guido what is it that brings you balance? it was a purely philosophical question and Terminus tended to get right to his points. I apologize for my directness. It is part of my natture to get right to the point.
Its not wheither you win or lose but how you play that counts
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Words: 63849
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2009, 4:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Guido Faragas on November 4th, 2009, 2:31 pm

A scout for the knighthood? Guido’s eyes opened a little wider as he listened attentively to the Akalak. He professes to be a man of honour, following a knightly code. I must hear more of this.

“So, do you live your whole life by your knightly code? Does it govern your personal life as well as your duties as a knight? Is it not a burden to have to attain such ideals on a daily basis?”

Before the knight could provide any answer, Guido turned to the small human, for the question he posed demanded an answer. “What is it that brings me balance?” He echoed the question, letting it fly into the air as he mused for a few moments. “I don’t think I have ever been asked that question before.”

“Of course, the obvious answer is my legs,” he continued, gazing down ruefully at his rather long limbs. “And yet, they often fail me for they have a life of their own. Still, I suspect that you are expecting a more thoughtful answer than I have given.”

“Perhaps as an indirect way of answering, I might tell you a story.” Guido sat back in his seat, arms folded behind his head. I love telling stories.

“When I was much younger than I am now, my father took me on a trip outside the city. It was a more agreeable day than my recent trip, for the sun was shining and there was no mud to encounter.” The dark-haired man brushed his hand across one of the grimy sleeves of his jacket as if to indicate the disagreeable nature of his recent adventure. “We had been told of the site of an ancient ruin, where there might be some historical finds. The fellow who told us about this site was my father’s best friend and he promised to sell anything we found and split the proceeds. The two men were like brothers, always joking and drinking together.”

The tall man leant forward to sip his ale before once again sitting back in his chair. “After a long day in the sun, we found an ancient pot with beautifully carved inscriptions. When we returned, my father’s friend was excited by the find and promised to sell it as soon as he could. After a few days, we had heard nothing and so we returned to his shop. The pot was standing on the edge of a small table in the middle of the room. My father’s friend said that he had had an offer for the pot but that he was unhappy with a fifty-fifty split. The pot would never have been found if he had not heard of the site, so he should get two-thirds of the money. My father disagreed, arguing that he had done the hard work, so he should get the two-thirds.”

“The two men argued for a good few chimes, getting angrier with each other. Then, my father made a move towards the table on which the pot sat; his friend tried to stop him and in the process the jar was knocked. I can still recall it to this day. The artefact wobbled on the table and then slowly over-balanced before tumbling to the ground and smashing; the three of us looked on in horror. It was as if the scene was taking place in slow motion.” Guido shook his head and a sad expression asserted itself on his countenance.

“My father grabbed my hand and dragged me away. He has never spoken to his friend since that day. So both men lost not only money but the great bond that they had. If they had only balanced their demands and agreed to their original equal split, the pot would never have over-balanced. It is a lesson well learnt.”

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Words: 114496
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Terminus Norin on November 5th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Terminus listened to Guido as he answered his question. He contemplated the obvious answer, which had not occured to him as he was asking a more philosophical than literal question. However it did make sense,and asall things seeking balance it would hae its good days and bad ones. Balance never seemed prefect, it always seemed to eventually tip one way or the other, that was why he did what he did, to help maintain balance...at least in the realms of Ivak's influance.

He also listened to the story,putting thought to Guido's words. it saddened him to find that the two men had lost not only the pot ,but their friendship over a lack of balance. He struggled to place the meaning behind the tall,thin, man's words with the lesson learned.

It is true what you say, and unfortunate that most of us never learn that lesson. So your life lessons bring you balance? Or perhaps it is that you seek to balance your expectations of life with the realities?
He was taking a pretty big leap comming to the latter conclusion, but something about the story combined with the profound disgurntlement the man radiated seemed to allow for such a leap. He truned to Niall and looked at him.

So does following the Code bring balance to your life? I could see that it might considering it alllows for control of darker impulses without requireing elimination of those impulses.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Guido Faragas on November 10th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Guido drained the last dregs of his mug of ale and leant forwards over the table as he replied to Terminus.

“Of course, a less scrupulous man than my father might not have revealed his find in the first place. He may have merely shrugged his shoulders and claimed that he had found nothing. In doing so, he would have avoided having to worry about balance at all!”

“As for myself, I find that much in life lacks balance. The wealth and privileges in this city lack balance – some are poor, some rich through accident of birth rather than their own skills or efforts. I find this a source of frustration; yet, I believe this lack of balance can be overcome by one who has a mind to do so. So, I see my own betterment as a way of restoring balance.”

The tall man stroked one hand across his neck, leaving a further grimy mark from the imprint of his fingers. “So what is it you seek on your return to this city?” He directed a calm gaze at Terminus.

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Terminus Norin on November 13th, 2009, 2:46 am

Terminus had simply been sipping his ale and smiling. It never seemed that much got him down, either that or he was distracted, sometime he wasnt too sure which it was.

"Well I can certainly agree with you that one's own betterment leads to restoring of balance. I always seek to improve that which I am and that which i can do."

He thught carewfully about what it was that he was seeking in his return to Syliras. He had been seeking balance in his own way by returning to his roots, but he also simply wanted a place to settle.

"Your question is a very good one Guido, I think that I could give you the quick answer and say I want to settle..which I do but I think i will answer you like this.

There was a man once who gave his all to his work and his worship, it was all he lived for and all he sought. He even gave up love for what he sought. When all was said and done what he really sought was meaning....his god brought him that by helping him see how unbalanced his life was and now he would seek the balance. I think I seek like the man to balanc emy life and returning to my roots is a good way to begin."

He sippped his ale and thought he should find a place to set up a glassworks and boiling pot for his philtering, he had a few ideas for his firedancing.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Guido Faragas on November 18th, 2009, 11:54 am

Guido raised one eyebrow as Terminus spoke. “So... you...er... this...er... man, gave up love for his God? That seems rather sad, if you don’t mind me saying so. Who is the god you speak of? Surely this god had time for love amongst his worshippers?”

The tall man caught the attention of a nearby waitress and offered her his empty mug. “A refill please.” He turned to his companions. “Would either of you like another drink?”

Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Terminus Norin on November 19th, 2009, 2:54 am

Terminus chuckled and nodded to the young man Yes one more I believe, I am celebrating

He turned to Guido who had made the obvious leap to the god being the one demanding love..rather than the man giving it as his measure of devotion. He smiled in a non judgemental way as each person was welcome to his own interpretation of what was said.

The god in question is a god of great passion and would never ask his followers to give up love. The man offered it up as his measure of devotion. The god impressed upon the man that meaning came with balance.

He still was hesitant to reveal the who in these matters as Ivak was not exactly in favour right now.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Terminus Norin on December 2nd, 2009, 12:38 pm

Terminus could see that the two men with him were fatigued and he himself was tired, so he drained the last of his ale

Gentlemen if you will excuse me I have had a long day. I think i will retire and stifling a burp, he gathered his cloak and headed out to find a bed for the night.

OOC: The end
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous