PM to join [Drake] A Friend in Need

Corvus finds Drake injured in the Testing Grounds

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[Drake] A Friend in Need

Postby Corvus Bubon on February 24th, 2017, 3:40 am

Winter 7 516

Oh Scatter-brained Corvus, this singular focus on malediction is so unlike you. His voice as it was before undeath spoke into his mind as he prepared to carve the remaining rat skull. You aren’t supposed to speak unless spoken to, otherwise I’m crazy. Corvus thought to himself.
I’m just your subconscious thoughts, YOU choose to think of me as some other version of you but I’m not.
There is no need to tell me what I already know.
Just making sure you hadn’t forgotten.
Of course I haven’t forgotten, but I might if you keep speaking on your own.
I’m your SUBCONSCIOUS. It’s going to happen.
What do you care if I’m focusing on malediction anyway?
What does Vayt care? You should be practicing your poisonmaking too, that’s what Vayt will take notice of.
Fair point but Malediction is what will earn me a place here among the Sahovans.

You should atleast get a book on Sahovan flora, unless you plan on using the Synchrograph Office for all your materials.
Of course I don’t plan on using the Synchrograph for all my materials, but I can’t access the library until I’ve undergone my Judgement.
Then go collect things without a book, you smell like rotten flesh, even if the wild animals are dangerous it’s not like they’d want to eat you. Plus it takes a lot to poison you. Honestly, you’ll be fine.
Fine. When I’m done here I’ll go for a stroll amongst the vicious failed experiments and aggressive wildlife.

Corvus reached for the rat skull he had left for later use and gently placed it to his right on the cot. After setting down the skull Corvus grabbed his engraving toolkit from his trunk, taking out a scalpel before setting down the toolkit to his left. He turned the rat skull upside down, exposing it’s jaw and neck, before cutting his way to the cranial cavity. After removing the jaw and the tissue connecting the skull to the neck, he marked a ring around the skull, not touching bone, but cutting through flesh. Corvus then replaced his scalpel with a small bonesaw, and began to saw away along the line he had made with his scalpel. After a few minutes of gentle sawing, the top part of the rat’s skull was ready to come off.

Corvus eagerly removed the top of the skull and gently placed it upon the cot, fur-side down. He now had a better view of the rats decomposing brain, he retrieved his scalpel and removed it. He put down his scalpel and took up his carving knife, then reached for the top of the rat’s skull. He held the top part of the rat’s skull in his hand began to carve the letter “C” on the left edge. I think I’ll have room to go straight across, no need to curve the letters. Corvus continued carving in order, U, N, N, then stopped, he had reached the center, but had noticed a crack start to appear in the space between the letters. I have to be more gentle, slower carving, or this whole thing will shatter. He continued to carve at a much slower, more careful pace I, then N, then G. The inner engraving was done, however he had forgotten to carve an outer circle. It’s not ideal but I could try using the rim of the skull itself as the circle. Maybe I could shave a little of the bone off to give the edge more definition, then replace the top part of the skull and tie it closed to secure it in place.

Corvus took up his carving knife and shaved just a hair off the edge of the bottom part of the rat skull. After carving the ring he wiped his scalpel off on the cot and plunged it in deep enough to his rat-wound to retrieve ichor and smeared it across the engraving. Corvus placed the top piece of skull back onto the rest of the skull, finding that there was a small disconnect. The bone saw had destroyed about 1/16th an inch of the skull but the overall effect was minimal, as there was only a slight overhang on the back part of the skull. Corvus reached for the twine and cut off a foot of it’s length, he then wrapped the twine around the skull squeezing it tightly together. As the skull felt the pressure of the twine squeezing it together, the top portion shifted and the circle circle was completely sealed, the skull suddenly felt heavier, but Corvus felt clarity like he hadn’t before. That’s enough of that. Time to go for a walk.

Corvus set the skull down among the other maledicted items in the chest then put away his toolkit. After tidying up his room Corvus set out to the testing grounds, portable poison crafting kit firmly secured under his coat. No one paid him any mind as he strolled through the citadel, making his way north toward the testing grounds. The first steps he take into the testing ground are foreboding indeed, an arid plains filled with large skeletons, small trees, shrubbery, and unnatural additions to the landscape stretches out before him, Corvus notices a small rabbit run across the field to hide under the bones of some unfortunate creature and walks cautiously towards it. The rabbit hadn’t taken notice of him yet but as he approached the large skeleton it darted out, hearing the crunching of the smaller bones littering the area as Corvus moved forward. Were those thorns on it’s back? Corvus reached into his bag and placed a small snares under the skeleton, then set it. It’s quite bigger than the rats I’ve been carving up, and I’d really like to examine those thorns. He ventured forward hoping that no one would steal his catch should the rabbit return.

The area around him did not fill Corvus with much hope, everything here was either dead or straining against the horrid environment it found itself in. Corvus traveled west for what felt an eternity, the sky had slowly started to darken and Corvus’s eyes fell upon a pool of mud, a strangely moist place in this nearly barren arid waste. He investigated the pool further, finding around it a fair amount of what appeared to be worms at first, but turned out to be some kind of fungus that thrived in the mud. The end of its stalk was forked and covered in a slimy brown substance that contrasted well against the orange of its stalk. Corvus retrieved a large vial from his poison crafting kit and carefully pressed the lip of the vial to a stalk and collected the substance from a few of the stalks until the vial was full, before corking the vial. Among the worm-like fungi were round blue-grey mushroom-like fungi, Corvus cut a few of these off at their stalks and put them in his bag.

After collecting some of the local fungi Corvus climbed out of the mud pool and walked northeast finding a stream, and followed along it looking for more fungi to examine. Along the muddy banks of the stream some of the worm-like fungi appeared, though they were sparse. Corvus noticed something odd, horse-tracks came to a head at the stream a ways up, and where they ended the ground had been disturbed, I guess someone must have stopped here, the tracks lead away but they seemed to stay here for a time. None of my business I guess. The sky was getting darker and he felt it would probably be best if he did not linger too long in the testing grounds at night.
Corvus Bubon
Bone Whisperer

Words: 28890
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2016, 1:35 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets