Completed How Much Wood?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

How Much Wood?

Postby Karyk on April 30th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Karyk opened his eyes to see Salara in his clothes standing over him. He words rang true and practical once more, and Karyk found this trait of hers uplifting. Not many people were so straight forward. It was refreshing. He took the water skin she offered, pressing it to his lips, and drank. It was revitalizing. Then he saw she was waiting on him, strip of cloth in hand. He chuckled, and tiredly raised his injured arm so she could work on it.

He watched her work, eyes following the curves of her face, the color tinting her cheeks, her pursed lips as she worked. There was a wild beauty to this woman, a contained fury and passion, that he saw. Her fingers worked deftly, strong and soon, his arm was patched up nicely. He flashed her a tired smile, with an accompanying nod of the head. He watched her leave to care for Kesh, as he exhaled deeply, ignoring that tightness in his lower stomach as he watched her turn.

He pulled himself upright, wincing at the throbbing in his leg. Definitely straight to the doctor after he dropped off this damnable lumber. He watched as Kesh let the wolf go, listening to his words. When Kesh offered him the smoke pipe, he shook his head. He'd tried pipesmoke back when he was a child and after coughing for so long that he vomited, he had zero desire to try it again.

Karyk looked at the lumber, and at Kesh. Kesh had offered to pull them all on the sled, but Karyk knew it wasn't built to hold that much weight. The injured lumberjack would certainly need a sled, as would the carcasses. He'd be able to help pull, albeit slowly, but Dorrin would be more help in that regard.

He looked over at Dorrin, "Work on another sled, for the wolves and the lumberjack, whatever his name is. Holda? Horka? Anyways, we'll pull that one. Kesh will pull the lumber." He looked back to Salara, "If you're up to it, while we pull the sleds, we'll need your eyes, just to be sure there are no more wolves," he chuckled, "After all, wolf stew gets tiring after the fourth day."

Dorrin grunted, grabbing his hatchet and knives, "Horva I think is his name." He began cutting down branches for the second sled. Karyk began squaring up the logs. As he worked the logs, rolling one over with the fulcrum logs from before, he found a boot with a bloodied foot in it. He reached down and grabbed it, carrying it over to Horva, setting it in the sleeping man's lap. If Karyk had to guess, a log rolled over the man's foot as they worked, and that's when the wolves struck. Horva probably cut his leg free, and escaped.

Karyk saw Syna heading across to the west, and began speeding up his work. He wanted to be through the pass by nightfall. After Dorrin finished the other sled, he helped Karyk finish the lumber. It was easy enough to load them onto the sled, as Karyk and Dorrin grunted and strained to roll them over. Once in place, the two secured them with rope. "Let's get Horva and the wolves loaded, and get out of this blood bath. Get this petchin' wood to the yard, visit the sawbones, and then drinks on me. Gods know I need it after this mess."

Karyk set about to gathering up his axes, cleaning them, before rolling them up in the axe bundle. "That sound good to y'all?"
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

How Much Wood?

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on May 1st, 2017, 6:06 pm

Salara hardly considers Kesh’s decision to release the beast or his offer to revise the decision herself. It was unlikely to live long in this desperate time regardless. “It will not last long without the strength and security of its pack. Let some desperate father be the hero to his family by being the provider – the Mighty Hunter - once again. We have ample reward for our efforts.” Coming from one who hadn’t yet found sound occupation, splitting the bounty for ten wolves was better than nothing and more than she expected upon waking this morning.

Proceeding with Kesh’s permission, Salara, head tilted for the sound, locates a clear running stream gurgling over Semele’s bones nearby. Finding clay loam along its banks, she digs several handfuls to be liberally applied to his wounds to slow blood loss and protect the raw flesh from insects. As he lights his pipe she spreads the natural poultice wondering if his thick coarse pelt would be considered fur or hair. Soon smoke drifts lazily about his head shifting through smooth patterns in the breeze. Stepping back to see if she had missed anything,“Stay still for a bit to allow the…AH-CHOO,” Her nose tingled from the smell which was oddly burnt and fresh at the same time. “...allow the mud to congeal and dry somewhat before laboring.” Looking into his eyes below the shadow of his heavy brow, she didn’t think that would be a problem.

Handing her his pipe, she accepts it with a brow arched in critical inquisitiveness. Held between both hands pinched between thumb and forefinger she finds it overlarge, of course, more the size of a flute, to accommodate Kesh’s larger hands. It was well worn, polished in places where he was most comfortable holding it. Tilting it carefully from one end to the other, Salara sniffs, wrinkling her nose over the burning punk. Handing it back she politely declines. “Enjoy.” As she turns to walk away she tries inconspicuously wiping her fingers down the rough fabric of her trousers. They were somewhat sticky with sheen of a dark amber resin. Over several ticks she catches her mind wandering off on odd thoughts and whiffs of burnt scent lingering in her hair.

Crossing over she interrupts Dorrin’s efforts in building another sledge to borrow one of his knives. As the males finish processing the wood and building conveyances Salara keeps an eye on their perimeter in case any other adversaries approached. While on circuit she locates and drags carcasses, lining them up just to the side of the pine copse as close to the stream as possible. Eyeballing them she considers her next steps, as typically she would just eat her kills without the need for processing; but she’d seen it done and understood the concept. Rolling each carcass upon it’s back she slides the blade tip just under the flesh below the sternum cutting down the center all the way to the anus. Rolling the beast to its side she parts the skin and, for the few whose cavities hadn’t yet been punctured in battle or by her inexperienced cuts, she successfully wrestles the gut sack out. Otherwise it became a very distasteful effort to clean all the entrails and offal from the cavities, as any foulness remaining would contaminate the meat. There were many trips to the burbling stream to wash and catch a fresh bit of air. She did take the time to collect the hearts, livers, and kidneys, which she tucked back into each cavity.

With aching arms and the knife’s edge much more dulled, she’d saved the worse for last, the Kesh-crushed Alpha female that Karyk had carried from the first attack. It was difficult cutting the incision around broken ribs and the body kept folding upon itself from a shattered spine. The innards were mush, but what was salvageable was still too valuable to waste. She pulls the bone bag to the creek, rolling it down the bank to be washed clean in the current. Undressing she drapes the gore and soiled clothing across a branch. Better than wearing wet clothes the rest of the day. Cleaning the carcass and trimming away bruised flesh she manages to get moderately clean herself in the waters running by. Knowing her energy needed to be maintained and they still had a long way to go, she takes a moment to rest in the dappled sun to savor tender tidbits of organ meat packed with nutrients that would keep her valuable to the team. Although game was scare, the forest was alive with birdcalls and the sound of honest labor by honest men; something she had rarely heard and appreciated greatly for the moment.

But duty called, she soon reclaimed her grubby garments and returned to the men lugging the hair-bag of bones along behind. “This crushed one will not be worth a copper miza with the merchants. I would claim it as part of my take as it is in ideal condition for me.” Only staking claim, she didn’t ask or expect any objection, as it was her right; a stand that had once been unfamiliar to her as a slave and again as a thief answerable to those more powerful. “Besides,” a toothy smile, the mischievous look putting a sparkle in her eyes, “she was prime in her pack and the bitch that treed me. La, Karma.” Tossing it and the other carcasses onto the sledge she nods to Karyk. “Ready when you are.”

Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

How Much Wood?

Postby Kesh Baldur on May 3rd, 2017, 10:54 pm

Kesh helped as much as he could thanking Salara for helping with his wounds, and helped with carrying the wood. The work was good, and without much fear of having wolves come at them he was able to focus on getting the job done. Everyone else seemed to want to get done and get going and he wasn't about to argue. He grabbed the ropes and wrapped them around his shoulders. He then felt that while Salara was cutting up the wolves he had some time to talk to her.

"Salara, now that we are not being attacked I would like to ask you some questions if it doesn't bother you? It's about your race and ability to change into a cat so naturally, it fascinates me as you don't need an incantation or hand gestures to do so. It's quite amazing, even though I myself am essentially an evolved gorilla, I have never seen someone of your kind! Are there more of your kind around here?" He asked with a little excitement escaping his usually normal tone, he would ask her questions along the way back but he felt that he might as well start now to show that he had some interest learning about her. "We can talk when your ready, Karyk I am ready for the journey back when you guys are ready we'll get going."

He took another long drag from his pipe before deciding that, that was enough and knocked the pipe against his chains knocking the ash out of it and placing it, as well as the new axe he acquired and placed them into his pack. Placed the ropes around his shoulders and stood on all fours waiting for what was to happen next.

(OOC: I feel a sweet 80s montage playing during this part haha, look up the montage https://youtu.be/vK4gv11PTI8 ).
Kesh Baldur
Player

Words: 30041
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2017, 10:45 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

How Much Wood?

Postby Karyk on May 4th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Karyk looked up as Salara claimed the female's hide with a confidence that only came from victory. He chuckled a bit, having no desire to contest the claim. She'd more than earned it. He nodded at her, checking the ropes and sleds once more, trying to ignore the gnawing pain of his wounds, the squish and squelch and uncomfortable warmth of his blood filled boot. The bite he'd received might be staunched now, but it had filled his boot with the sticky blood, while his broken toes had swollen to fill it in. He was already reconciling himself with the fact that he'd probably have to cut it off when he got to the doctor. But really, he just wanted the comfort of his kelp beer, to take the edge off this hard earned pain.

Dorrin came up and slapped him on the back, "Ya know the worst part of this? Raegher is going to expect us at the yard bright and early tomorrow too." He laughed loudly at this, and Karyk couldn't help but join him. Karyk replied, "He's gonna give us the hardest work to do, since we got out of it today." Dorrin just kept laughing, "And the missus will hound me for getting blood on my clothes again. Nag nag nag. But hey, she makes a mean kelp bun, so its worth it."

Karyk had missed Kesh's observation concerning Salara's ability, but heard the Jamoura say that he was ready as well. Karyk hobbling, Dorrin sighing, they walked over to the injured man, who was beginning to look a bit feverish, and picked him up. They carried him to the wolf sled, and set him upon it, tying him down. Karyk double checked his pack, tightened the straps, and grabbed one of the two lead lines to the sled, Dorrin grabbing the other. "Let's get outta here."

Him and Dorrin ground their feet into the hard soil, pain shooting through Karyk's right leg, hissing through his teeth as the sled moved. It was nowhere near as heavy as the lumber load, and if he'd been uninjured could probably pull it himself, but Dorrin's help made it much easier. They pulled it along the game trailed they'd used before, grateful for the slight downward slope as they made their way away from Syna's descent. Karyk and Dorrin were quiet, focused on the task at hand during the journey, until they reached the entrance to the pass, just as Syna started to fade from sight.

Their bloodied state and mound of corpses brought wide eyes to the High Guards stationed there. They asked what happened, but Karyk never intended to answer, pulling past them toward the city. But he stopped for a moment and had a thought, "Did the other two make it back okay? They should've been back a few bells ago." The High Guard shook his head, "Just a few stray hunters have come through until your group. No one else."

Karyk felt that it of worry in his stomach. Were there other wolves that had caught up to them? Did they get lost? He found himself wondering how things would've turned out if he, as the group's leader, had told them to stay. He knew he'd be back up here tomorrow to find out anything else on them, and hope they found a way. But the pit in his stomach wouldn't be leaving any time soon. Just as they were about to make their way into town proper, Karyk heard a familiar shout. He looked up and saw the rest of his and Dorrin's work crew approaching, eyeballing the bloodied and ragtag group. Raegher gave out the orders to those who'd stayed behind, telling them to take the lumber to the yard. The foreman was eyeballing the Jamoura and the new woman that weren't apart of the original group. "I dunno how ya got involved, but I want to thank you for helpin the shipyard, and helpin' get these two idjits home safe. You have my gratitude." He approached them and offered his hand to be shook to each of them.

He turned to the woman from Karyk's work crew, "Mynnie, see that this sled gets taken to their homes and divvied up how they see fit. Lecard, Stefio, you got the lumber." He turned back to the bloodied group, "You four get to the doctor's. I know Horvolt is in town, over near your folks Dorrin, his ship doesn't leave for a few tendays. He'll fix you up good. He's always sober in port. Good man. Karyk, Dorrin, I'll see you two at work tomorrow. We're mast raising."

With that, Lecard and Stefio approached Kesh to take the load of wood. Mynnie asked both Salara and Kesh where they were staying so she could have the hides and meat delivered directly. While Mynnie spoke to Salara, Karyk found himself staring at the Kelvic woman. Even after the hellish luck of the day, the pain they all went through, the worry of the missing people, he still managed to grin wholeheartedly at her, nodding once, his glance lingering just a hair longer, before Dorrin took lead to take them to the doctor on East Street. Karyk could already feel the fatigue setting in, knowing that he'd never make it to the bar afterwards. He just needed to rest. And a part of him, deep down, knew that for all this shyke he'd gone through with this, it was worth it. Not for the lumber, or the food, or even the new friendships. It made him feel like more. More than a shipwright. And he loved it.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

How Much Wood?

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on May 8th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Kesh’s questions about her race brought her up short in her chores with a slight frown. Her people were not fantastical or even, for many, considered equal to stand side by side with others. But he hadn’t asked for the unsavory history or aspects of her nature and his exuberance and honest curiosity encouraged her to share part of being Kelvic. Brushing loose strands of hair from her face with a sweep of her forearm she smooths her frown and tries to explain, “There is no magic, process or theatrics needed for me to become my other self. There is no pain or feelings of change – unless my clothing is too restrictive. As long as I have energy to expend, it is a simple matter of thought just as I would choose to pick up a blade or put it down,” and demonstrated just that with Dorrin’s skinning knife. “And it can be very hard to tell if someone is a Kelvic without seeing them shift or recognize the traits of their animal through their demeanor or characteristics,” she lifts the blade tip to tap against the slightly sharper teeth than a human’s that she bares at him. “Kelvics rarely reveal themselves to anyone but those they trust. I do not know of any other Kelvics in Zeltiva but I would imagine there are more than just me. Any animal or bird you see may be one of my kind.”

The way back was long and arduous for everyone but the males had the worst of it dragging the sleds over terrain not intended to be sled. Game trails often followed the path of least resistance but were rarely straight. She encouraged them as she could and tried to scout the easiest passages. They finally made it back in one piece and apparently the rest of the crew had too. If the foreman, Raegher, was surprised at the firm handshake from her calloused palm he didn’t indicate as some might. She’d asked Mynnie to deliver two carasses as her share to her home where she would keep one for herself and sell the other, poor carcass and pelt as it was, to the merchants. She regretted needing Mizas so badly; otherwise she’d hand it to the next family to pass her doorstep. Glancing up from providing her address, she catches Karyk’s bright-eyed grin upon her and agreed with his unspoken message without doubt – Fine Day Indeed.

Through several bells: getting patched up by Doc Horvolt, watching her new friends walk away with a lingering look of her own, and heading home to scrub Karyk’s ‘loaned’ clothing clean (an especially memorable addition to her fledgling costume wardrobe), she kept feeling a smile slip onto her face when she wasn’t looking.

*request:
LEDGER CREDIT
+ TBD g/s/cm = 1 wolf carcass (poor quality),
+ POSSESSIONS: (Poor quality) blood/dirt stained canvas shirt (75 cm)/linen trousers (6sm)

Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

How Much Wood?

Postby Kesh Baldur on May 14th, 2017, 12:18 am

Kesh listened intently as he listened to Salara and what she had to say about her kind, Great! Now I have to be curious about all manner of creatures walking and flying about in the woods and on his travels. He thought exhaustingly, it would bother him for a time to think all the creatures in the woods could actually be human but he felt in time the worry would fade as most did and he would be fine again.

The travel back was simple and nice, he didn't worry about much then, talking to the group as they made their way back to the city. He learned a great deal but felt time had passed by quickly and soon they were at the humans home, greeted with handshakes and thanks for bringing the men home safe and sound, Kesh smiled and accepted the gratitude.

Soon was the time to part ways unfortunately, as they divided up what they needed and began preparations to go back home and rest. Kesh acknowledged the fact that they would part ways but felt that he had made strong connections today that he would try to keep in his mind for as long as he could.

"Salara, Karyk, Dorrin I thank you for everything, this day would have been much more boring without you, I have learned plenty from this adventure. But as we all must go on our seperate ways I must say goodbye for now. I hope that our paths may pass again. Until then good fortune and remember to enjoy the small moments such as this." He said as he looked up to the sky and felt the breeze hit him. "It does not come often, my wounds will be alright, I must meditate now, it has been long overdue and we are a race of practice and tradition. Farewell, my friends." He concluded by giving them each a large hug, then patting them each on the head with a chuckle and made his way back into the woods.

When he reached a safe place, he put down his things and began his meditation, he breathed deeply in and out, connecting with the forest and reflecting all that had taken place, what a story to tell.

[*OOC acquired use single hand axe, possible payment for wood job]
Kesh Baldur
Player

Words: 30041
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2017, 10:45 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

How Much Wood?

Postby Hwyn on June 9th, 2017, 3:05 am

Grades or Misfortune what in my pack?

Karyk
Observation 1
Socialization 1
Weapon hand Axe 2
Bodybuilding 1
Endurance 1
Medicine 1
Hunting 1
Tactics 1
Woodcutting 1
Lleadership 1

Carpentry: Straight trees make the best wood.
Animal husbandry: Wolves Come in packs
Jamoura: reasonable Beast men
Kesh: a jamoura
Medicine: Water is a good start
Hunting: waste not want not
Woodcutting: removing bark and branches
Bloody weapons are slippery
Salara doesn’t mince words

Notes, this thread was.. a work in progress for ya, your miss with the ax and such was good considering your level and such, a lot goes into these sort of thread and first experiences with combat are always rough.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riona
Socialization 1
Carpentry: Straight trees make the best wood.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kesh
Observation 2
Stealth 1
Camouflage 1
Unarmed 1
Climbing 1
Diplomacy 2
Tactics 1
Weapon chains 1
Observation: Odd scents of races.
Humans: need wood
Humans: not very trusting
Diplomacy: raising your hands
Intimidation: Big and Loud
Medicine: Mud

Note Stealth and Jamoura is kind of a unique trait, so it’s hard to grade based off of the racial ability. I’d say you did well in that you didn’t really make any effort to hide your pack and such which would be a telltale sign to your existence Nothing to complain about mind you, but if you’d love to tell me what you think about it I’d love to hear your opinion. Also smelling people from a crowd, especially smelly humans would be a impressive feat. Though once more Jamoura are weird, so I don’t think you’ve done anything odd.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salara Kel'Halavath
Observation 2
Running 1
Endurance 1
Unarmed 1
Hunting 1
Climbing 1
Tactics 1
Stealth 1
Medicine 1
Jamoura: warm
Kesh: a friend
Hunting: corpses attract predators
Karyk: killed wolves and helped me
Bloody weapons are slippery
Hunting: wolf tactics
Medicine: Mud
Kelvics: can shift when not restricted

Note: Disemboweling even a young wolf would take more effort at your skill level.
As far as hunting is concerned two things, catching prey for food is inherently important to a kelvic, However it’s not a given skill, part of the reason it’s in the starting package. My first pc was a kelvic as well and I spent several threads just catching barn rats and failing at that. So, in the future I’d love to see you detail the hunt, also Identifying the Dynamics of a pack of wolves, is something animal husbandry or Hunting again would help you with. (please forgive the nitpickiness just want you to be aware of where things stand on Kelvics, It’s kind of a pain in some aspects in that you’ve an animal side and a human side and different stats are important to both sides. You could forgo hunting as a city dweller and. Or embrace the wild and focus in hunting and such. But it’s difficult at first to straddle both. Though this is just my humble opinion ) to tack on, as a feline Kelvic you understand other felines, however understanding the traits of other animals such as the howl an alpha makes when losing a mate, would be a stretch to know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes for everyone.
Alrighty I’m not perfect by any means so I can make mistakes if you think I have pm me about it. With that said, this thread was a hodgepodge and a half. Frankly ya’ll coulda died if this had been moderated and you’d come against as many wolves. Wolves are funny in that a lot of new players pick them as their first major opponent. Something I’ve never really gotten but I digress. Wolves are like, SUPER DANGEROUS. The average wolf around Sylira is 66 to 180lbs they ain’t puppies and picking a fight with one is an undertaking for someone with novice let alone zero combat skills. Now you also had a pack of humans with you so that’s something. But id’ ask in the future you look into the behavior of wolves and such, the fact that they were starving would definitely make them more aggressive, but this was a tad over the top in my opinion. I think nearly all players involved overstepped their knowledge’s in some regards which is like waaaay easy to do when you start out none of you are repeat offenders or anything so I just want you all to know in the future that you need to know why you’re able to do something. It’s possible in the right situation to overstep a skill assuming you can justify it or specific knowledge’s Kelvics have a lot of animal instinct, but they’re not infallible. Anyways. I think it was a good thread to see how your characters melded, your personalities defining themselves as you all got comfortable writing together.

So that’s it for me. Please take my words with a grain of salt.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

Swiss Army Knives

Postby swiss army knife on November 2nd, 2017, 8:22 am

I just choose a Swiss knife for myself, I do not know anything about it, I have a few questions about it, what is the most popular Swiss Army Knife, <a href=https://pocketknifeinfo.com/swiss-army-knife/>swiss blade</a>, are Swiss Army knives legal, what is a good pocket knife??
swiss army knife
Player

Words: 88
Joined roleplay: November 2nd, 2017, 7:22 am
Race: Dhani

Previous