[Stone Gardens] Walking Amongst the Stones (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 19th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Season of Winter, Day 10, 510 AV

Taking a deep breath of the cool air, Jaelyn's light gray eyes looked over the smooth stones that made the Stone Gardens. She was silent as she stood there, her thoughts drifting over what the stones represented. Yes, there was sadness in the lost lives that they represented, but there was also a great sense of honor bound up in it all. These people had not just died, they had sacrificed their lives for others. Whether it was valiantly fighting to protect others, or selflessly standing in the way of harm, no matter the cause or reason they were represented here because of the great services they had done in life.

Slowly she started to walk amongst the stones, looking at the names etched into them. These names weren't known to her, but that did not decrease her respect for them. Though she was certainly not hoping for death, she did hope that when her life was looked back on, it would be with similar hallmarks of valor and honor.

As she continued to walk amongst the stones she let her mind empty itself of her cares and worries, letting thoughts of training and lessons slip away. For now all that was present in her mind was herself, her breathing, the soft sound of her boots on the ground, and the sense of valor and honor that permeated the very air of the Garden.
Jaelyn Baroth
Alt of Alenias, Devoted Squire

Words: 144214
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gregory Braklin on January 20th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Gregory Braklin walked into the Stone Gardens, his head held down. His erstwhile companion, Ripper the guard dog, stayed at the gate at the whistle of his master.

Occasionally, Greg came to the gardens for two reasons. The first and foremost were to honor the dead. There were great knights buried here, and it was his dream to live and die just like them. He also came here for the quiet. Unlike the city, which was always bustling and noisy, the Gardens were always so quiet. Peaceful. The tall man walked slowly amongst the lines of stones and then stopped. There was someone else here. A woman was walking amongst the graves just as he was.

From her well muscled features, she assumed that she was some kind of warrior. Possibly she was a knight just as he was. Greg walked towards the woman and was about to greet her, but stopped himself. "She may be mourning right now, and I could have just disturbed her," he thought.
Gregory Braklin
Knight

Words: 5986
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on January 21st, 2011, 4:52 pm

Jaelyn's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone else walking amongst the stones, and curious, she turned to see who it was. He was a very tall man, and someone who had seen many fights judging by his scar and strong looking body. Noticing the silver sword on his tunic, the sign of a Syliran Knight, she bowed her head respectfully as she spoke, "Greetings Ser."

She didn't recognize him, but that was hardly surprising. There were a great many who served in the Syliran Knights, more than any one person could know.
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Raisi on February 2nd, 2011, 9:23 am

While walking Raisi let her hair down from the tight pony tail. She shook it out and laughed when she saw her horse Tiku immitating her. Golden mane flew everwhere, but soon setled when the Firemane horse realized that he was shaking the hitching post out of the ground. Raisi patted her companion, kissed him on the forehead and skipped off to find something interesting. For her age she was incredibly mature, but the stone walls drove her crazy. The girl was restless and confinement drove her mad. The wandering spirit was soon upon a beautiful garden. Stones lined the floor. Raisi slowed when she realized that epitaphs were written upon them. Her smile faded, and she knelt next to one. Common language did not come well to her and she began trying to decipher it to Nari. Failing, she furrowed her brow and concentrated. Her pupils narrowed, focusing on each mark. Unconciously, she spoke aloud, repeating a series of clicks and Nari sounds.
Raisi
Player

Words: 1352
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 7:01 pm
Race: Human, Inarta

Postby Ash'eny on February 4th, 2011, 4:30 am

OOCGregory, Raisi, would you two mind putting the links to your CSs in under your avatar please. It would make it much easier to find rather than searching through the hundreds of CSs already up. Please and thank you! Loves yah boths!

Click! Click! Jingle, click! Ash'eny paced the large area, the finely cut, flawless ground, the Stone Gardens. His boots created small dully pitched echoes that radiated throughout the gardens, and up into the clear blue morning sky. There was very little of Syliras that was blessed with the open air. Only rare parts of Syliras offered a breeze that combed through your hair or brushed against your lightly whiskered face, which was messy more due to neglect of a proper shave than that of intentionally growing out his facial hair. Eldon sighed as he walked, the sea of rounded stones on either side of him, and if he were to stumble, step off the small walkway that forced him to walk as though he were upon a trapeze highwire, or whatever those circus freaks called those things, which he did with a comical humor. Ash'eny had a grin on his face, that was no malicious, was not violent, but was sly, disturbing, and most of all, dishonoring in this sort of place.

Ash'eny's whimsical pacing managed eventually to place him next to a woman with luscious lips and a green gem-like stare. Though he knew it not, her name was Jaelyn. Ash'eny looked up at the Knight that was only a few paces ahead. Ash'eny could literally take but three steps forwards, rear his arm back, and dive a punch right into his smug little nose if he felt like it. But who in their right mind would be so foolish. Not Ash'eny, he danced with fire, toyed with the prospect of death, lived in a moment of intensity and mocked the idea of never waking again, but he did not push the boundaries, not initially, not blatantly. He turned to face the woman, his face was covered in guilt. He offered a soft sigh, leaned over and whispered into her ear, though intentionally loud enough that 'Ser' Braklin could hear. "Isn't it a shame that the highest of honor these men and women can achieve it to be burned in death and have their name carved on a stone." His guilty expression faded, a smirk returned as his right hand idly tapped against the butt of his flanged mace that dangled at his side, swayed with his sway, moved with his movement. Ash'eny had no intention to draw it, not against a knight, but he was toying with him. Why would he provoke the law? Because it was fun, and he committed no crime. Ash'eny knew the law of the knights well, Hell, only a handful knew he was a secret employee of them.

He knew their motives to be righteous, else the Windoak would cast them from their rank, and they'd be lucky to survive. Striking a man, no matter how obnoxious or disrespectful he was, would only be worse for himself than whatever he could do to Ash'eny."Greetings M'lady, I am Tolby, the pleasure is all mine."
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on February 7th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Before the Knight could respond to Jaelyn's greeting another man appeared, and with a sorrowful face he half whispered to her about the shame of what the Garden represented. Confused, as she couldn't believe why someone in Syliras would say such a thing, she simply blinked in response to his words and watched as he turned a smirk towards the Knight. Was the man trying to provoke the Knight? Why would someone do that in Syliras?

When the man returned his gaze to Jaelyn and introduced himself she reflexively gave a polite nod of her head, "A pleasure Tolby. I am Jaelyn," she paused a moment before speaking her next words, hoping to put them respectfully, "And I must disagree with you. There is no shame in what the Stone Gardens represent. The people remembered here achieved great honor for how they lived, not in how they died. They gave of themselves completely so that others could live safely."

She gave Tolby a polite smile as she finished talking. She did not want to start and argument, but she could not listen quietly to what he had said. The people remembered here were the greatest of heroes, and deserved the utmost respect.
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ash'eny on February 8th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Ash'eny stared at Braklin for a while, but got no response. He shrugged his shoulders, his target, though appearing to be Braklin, was actually the woman to begin with. He grinned lightly. "Beautiful name Jaelyn, though I suspect you may not truly find pleasure in meeting a man such as myself. You don't yet know Tolby, what he believes, what he is capable of. Though, it is common manners amongst our kind to say such things without truly considering whether we do or not truly find pleasure in a meeting. It keeps out conflict, no unnecessary grinding of provoked rage or subtle disgust. I've disgusted others before, typically it is not my intention but..." Ash'eny shrugged his shoulders and gave a small bow. "I, however, truly am pleased to make the acquaintance of one as beautiful as yourself, Missus Jaelyn. Forgive me if I seem too bold or rude, but I have become one to speak my mind and opinions, and as such, have hungered for the thoughts of others."

Ash'eny stared down at the stones, he himself, as always, was placed strategically so that his feet were always on the stone-less walkway. He had this subtle displeasure of walking right on top of those rocks, the memorials of men and women he truly did, in all honesty, respect. The dead were easier to respect for their sacrifices when the living rarely prove they deserve it. "I gladly accept your disagreement. Without diverse opinions, we would be dreadfully boring. I hope you'll discuss with me. I'm very interested in why you believe what you do."

Jaelyn didn't want to start an Argument, but Ash'eny did. Albeit a civilized discussion rather than a flurry of insults and selfish accusations. "I agree that the Knights, those that sacrifice everything and beyond for the sake of others, deserve the upmost honor. But this I cannot agree with. A name on a stone, I can believe in. The stone on the ground where some foolish person might step on them without so much as a care, or even notice, seems cruel. I understand that, due to difficulties of the world, burial is not an option, graves are too large, attract too much undesired attention. But, to pave the ground with the blood of knights, seems disgusting to me." Ash'eny took a knee as he ran his finger across a stone, it had no name, but nevertheless he peered at it for a long moment. It that stone wasn't for a knight already lost, it was just waiting for a name to claim it.

"I came too far than just to find another place where people walk on each other."
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on February 8th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Jaelyn was surprised by Tolby's reaction to her greeting. It was certainly not something she had expected, or even heard before. What he said did make sense, at least for some. You may not know whether you would be agreeable with someone on first meeting or not, but it could still be a pleasure to meet someone new. His mention that he disgusted some people brought a hint of worry to her mind, along with curiosity. What was it that made people disgust him?

However, such thoughts were thoroughly broken when Tolby called her beautiful. It was not a compliment she was used to hearing, and certainly not something she generally considered herself. Eyes widened slightly in surprise she felt her cheeks flush slightly at such a blatant compliment. Finding her mind in a bit of disarray she managed to mumble a reply, "Ah... Well... I thank you for the compliment..."

Thankfully Tolby gave her a moment to recover before he began to speak his mind. Taking several slow deep breaths to calm herself Jaelyn cleared her mind as best she could before listening to Tolby's thoughts. Quietly and politely she listened to what he said, and her grayish eyes watched his brown ones.

"I can see why you would feel that way,"
Jaelyn said with a soft smile as Tolby finished, "And I am glad that you agree the men and women remembered here deserve the honor that they receive. While you see the ground paved with the blood of Knights I see a shrine that embodies all that the Syliran Knights strive for."

Crouching down she tenderly lay her fingers on one of the stones, gazing at the name carved there for a moment before returning her gaze to Tolby, "Knights serve because it is good and right to do so. They do not strive for glory, profit, or to be recognized. They live to serve and protect others. Many whom they help might not notice or be aware of the Knights that work for their benefit. They are willing to give their lives in protection of others, and they do not ask for anything in return. I believe the Garden is not only a memorial for those who have died while serving well, but a standard to show what all Knights should strive for."
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ash'eny on February 8th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Ash'eny chuckled lightly as Jaelyn lit up a bright pink color. She was easily embarrassed. By Ash'eny's experience, those that blushed that easily either heard such a compliment on rare occasion, did not believe it, but enjoyed it, or just wasn't used to receiving such a compliment at all. He grinned now, opening his mouth to speak, but only chuckled again, briefly. "I apologize, I don't mean to laugh at you. It's just not often someone reacts so innocently to a simple comment as that. It's quite adorable really. I almost feel the urge to pinch those cheeks of yours just because of the redness in them." Ash'eny had grown very comfortable with flirting. Actually, to be more specific, he had grown comfortable or used to all sorts of things that would, should, or could have effected him with embarrassment. "But don't thank me. It takes little effort to speak the truth." Smooth Ash'eny, really smooth. If she had known what he was, he was certain she would freak, perhaps panic, turn him into the knights. Tucesi would not be pleased to have to get onto him again for harassing her knights.

Ash'eny watched that she almost mimicked his action to touch the stones. he smiled. "Perhaps then, it is a subject of perspective? I see this as a chance for the ignorant to walk on those they should honor most. You see this as the ultimate show of their bravery and dedication to mankind. That leads me to wonder. What is it then that makes our ideas so different?" Ash stood up slowly again, eye to eye level. "Could it be our experiences, different from everyone else's, that make us judge differently because of what we alone have seen? Perhaps it is the ideals we would like to see take place, and seeing how close or far the situation seems from our ideal image, makes us feel different about these things?" Ash'eny was peering at the ground again, from stone to stone. There were so many. Many with names, many without.

Ash'eny nodded. He had not lived in Syliras long, but he had already had many run-ins with the knights. Wystern, John Griffin, a squire named Markus, Tucesi Deerstalker who not only caught him, but enlisted him as help. "I actually know well of your knights, if you don't mind me being arrogant for a moment. I have spent considerable time in their company, despite being unfit for their ranks. I befriended some, most I'd like to say. They are men and women of honor, respect. I feel that, should my upbringing have been different, I could have very well been one, believed like one, been happy to be one." Ash'eny stroked the lightly shadowed face from his facial hair only just breaking through the skin, a shrug quickly followed.

"Tell me Missus Jaelyn, how much do you know about Sunberth?" It was a ways off subject, perhaps to her, but it was closely tied to Ash'eny. He had lived in two places, the first, and for twenty two of his twenty three years of life were spent in the crime-infested merciless streets of Sunberth, Syliras made him happy, but he did not adapt well. He felt he would have to leave soon.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaelyn Baroth on February 11th, 2011, 6:21 pm

While Jaelyn did not necessarily agree with Tolby's insistence that his compliment was simply the truth, she knew of many women who were certainly much more attractive than herself, but she was reluctant to say anything. She had a feeling that Tolby would only insist more, and that would possibly only lead to her being more embarrassed by the things he said.

Listening as Tolby spoke of their different perceptions, and what might cause that, Jaelyn carefully stood back up. Though she disagreed with Tolby on the value of the Stone Gardens she agreed with him on the idea of stepping on the stones. She was always careful here to not tread upon them. Though they had not asked for respect or honor in their lives Jaelyn was certainly more than happy to offer it to their memories.

When Tolby mentioned that he knew well of the Knights, mentioning that his upbringing kept him from serving as one, Jaelyn tilted her head slightly in curiosity. Perhaps that was the reason for their differences? She was curious to know of his upbringing, but it did not feel like an appropriate question to ask at the moment.

"Sunbearth?"
Jaelyn was slightly surprised by Tolby's sudden change in discussion, "I know of it. I have heard that it is a very dangerous place where there is no law or organization. The people there do whatever they wish, and many of them do evil things," after just a moment trying to think why he would ask such a thing she simply decided to ask, "Why do you ask?"
Jaelyn Baroth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next