Completed An unwelcome guest

Tollivant makes a map of somewhere he shouldn't be

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

An unwelcome guest

Postby Tollivant Brennson on May 30th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Late Spring 517

After many gruelling days of travel across the Wildlands, the caravan had finally reached Syliras. Tollivant suspected that nobody who had been part of the travelling party would ever be quite the same again. There had been excitement, danger, mystery, and tragedy, and they were all in need of a good wash, a hearty meal and a comfortable bed. But Tollivant still had work to do before he could relax. Months earlier the Cartography Department at Zeltiva University had received a commission from the Syliran Knights to create an up-to-date map of the new roads that had been built in the Syliran Fields recently. Apparently there was a serious lack of good local mapmakers. As a rising star in the department with no permanent position tying him to Zeltiva, Tollivant had been dispatched to carry out the commission.

And so here he was, standing outside the gates of the Mithryn Outpost and looking up at the fluttering Windoak banners high on the smooth grey walls. As he approached the open entrance, a tall woman stepped out to meet him. He was temporarily speechless. He had been expecting a rough-and-ready middle-aged man, perhaps with a bit of a an ale paunch, but not this enormous, fierce-looking lady. ‘What is your business here, stranger?’ she asked, in a tone that suggested he had better have a good answer. ‘I’m from Zeltiva University,’ he said, rummaging in his pack for the letter he knew was in there somewhere. ‘The Cartography Department. I received a commission for a map, hang on a minute, it must have got buried at the bottom of my bag during the journey.’ The woman looked on in dubious silence as the flustered scholar scrabbled through his messy belongings. Eventually he found what he was looking for, and brandished a crumpled, stained piece of parchment. Tollivant was not a short man, although people often thought of him as small because of his almost complete absence of muscle. He was long and thin, like a particularly unappetising runner bean. But as the woman stepped forward to inspect the unimpressive parchment he was waving in her face, she towered over him effortlessly.

She scanned the parchment, which was luckily still readable, and then nodded. ‘You do look like a scholar, I’ll give you that. Come this way.’ She turned and walked through the gatehouse and along the main street until they reached a large, ivy-draped building. ‘Wait here,’ the woman said, and disappeared through the solid oak doors, taking his parchment with her. Tollivant took the opportunity to examine his surroundings. The houses and shops around him were almost exclusively of roughly-worked stone. Here and there a villager had added some flowerpots or painted a door bright red, but mostly the impression was of a place with little time for frivolity. The tall woman soon returned, accompanied by a cheerful, rotund man in a brown linen tunic who introduced himself as Jago. ‘I’m the Overseer of Non-Order Workers,’ he said. ‘I’ll be your contact while you’re here working for us. I’m afraid we have no space in the Garrison but you’ll be able to find a room at the Fool’s Errand,’ he said, pointing at a building on the other side of the square. ‘In fact, why don’t we head over and discuss your job over a mug of ale, eh?’ Tollivant agreed gladly. It had been a long time since he had enjoyed the simple pleasure of a frothing mug of ale in a warm tavern.

The inn was almost empty. ‘Most of the residents are still in the fields,’ Jago explained, ordering two large mugs and clunking them down on a wooden table. ‘They’ll be heading in soon enough though.’ Tollivant and Jago chinked mugs, and the young scholar took a long, thirsty draught of his drink. ‘Now, down to business,’ the overseer said, wiping foam from the moustache on his fleshy upper lip. ‘This here,’ taking out a map, ‘is what we’ve got at the moment. As you can see, there’s one main road linking us to the South Kabrin road, and another ringing the Outpost itself. Then there are several smaller roads criss-crossing the north-western side of the fields, here,’ prodding the map with a plump finger as Tollivant nodded his understanding. ‘Those are old roads linking the settlement to the river, used by fishermen and to cart water. Don’t worry about that, it’s all up to date. What I want you do is map this area,’ he said, drawing a large circle with his finger around the south-western corner, between the river and the road. ‘It’s a bit further away from the town, so it’s been a bit underused. Until recently the only access was rough tracks made by a few individual farmers, but last year we upgraded the road and added in a grid system to make things more efficient. We’re hoping it will encourage more farmers to use the land and make it easier to patrol. We used to get reports of bandits hiding out down there, but that’s all cleared up now.’ He took another swig of ale, and burped contentedly. ‘You don’t need to worry about the natural features, just the new roads. You got that?’ Tollivant nodded, and pocketed Jago’s map so he could study it that night. The tavern was filling up with farmers now, fresh clods of mud still clinging to their heavy boots. ‘When you’re finished, just send someone to find me in the Garrison,’ Jago said, draining the last of his ale and standing up. ‘Good luck!’ And with that, he was gone, leaving Tollivant to nurse his ale and pore over the map.
Last edited by Tollivant Brennson on June 1st, 2017, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tollivant Brennson
Player

Words: 31196
Joined roleplay: April 28th, 2017, 5:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Job thread Spring 517

Postby Tollivant Brennson on May 31st, 2017, 5:45 pm

The next day, fresh from a good night’s sleep on a rather hard bed that to the travel-weary Tollivant felt fit for a princess, the young man rose at dawn, wolfed a bread roll and a mug of watered-down ale, and headed out of the gates. He turned south, following the road that ringed the settlement until he reached a T-junction with a large, new-looking track stretching away to the south-west. He took out his compass, sighted along the road, noted down the orientation in his notebook, and began walking along the road, using his measuring rope to measure out 100 foot intervals as he went, and re-sighting the direction at every interval to ensure the course of the road stayed accurate. He got some curious looks from the farmers who passed him on the road heading out to their fields for the day, but they seemed pretty friendly once they found out what he was doing. A few even offered to help him stake out his rope and carry it to its next position, offers he accepted gratefully. The journey from Zeltiva had toughened him up beyond his wildest dreams, but he was still a scrawny man, and lugging the rope around was sweaty work even in the pale early morning sunshine.

Before long side roads started branching off the main south-east road. At each junction, Tollivant laid out his rope as taut as possible along the path, sighted along it with his compass, and noted down the orientations. Each side road then had to be measured, and the angles of every road that met it also had to be calculated and jotted down. Soon, Tollivant’s notebook was full of columns of numbers with little scrawled labels that only he would be able to understand. Every cartographer tended to develop their own shorthand and their own little tricks to make the calculations easier, which made it very hard to reconstruct a map that had been started by someone else.

He was so engrossed in his work that he hardly noticed afternoon creeping on, until a farmer walking past him back towards the settlement called out. ‘Oi, it’s time to head ‘ome, mate, unless you wanna be out ‘ere alone after dark?’ he chuckled. Tollivant looked around and saw that most of the fields were empty. ‘Thank you,’ he said, earnestly, packing up his equipment into his bag and falling into step beside the farmer.
Tollivant Brennson
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Job thread Spring 517

Postby Tollivant Brennson on May 31st, 2017, 5:50 pm

The next morning was much like the previous one, except that he managed to hitch a ride on a cart heading south from one of the farmers he had spoken to the night before. As they got further from the settlement, the neat fields and well-maintained storage sheds were interspersed more and more frequently with stretches of empty land, the wide, newly-built road seeming rather optimistic in the midst of the sparsely scattered fields and their ramshackle huts. In contrast to the previous day, when people had constantly passed him on the roads and stopped to chat, he found himself more or less alone today once he had left the cart behind. Down here the trees grew closer to the road and more thickly, still waiting to be cleared to make way for farmland.

By his calculations he must have been getting towards the far end of the new road when he noticed a rougher track peeling off the main one towards a stand of trees. An orchard, perhaps? Diligently, he staked out his rope, sighted along the line with his compass, and started to measure the path. The winding, pothole-scarred road was clearly not one of the new ones, but it wasn’t marked on the map Jago had given him, so he felt it was his duty to include it. The path continued into the little grove, and when Tollivant looked up to sight along it he saw a wooden hut at the end, tucked behind a rocky outcrop. As he approached, he could see that the hut was empty. There was a padlocked door, but the matting placed over one of the windows had been nibbled by something, and pushing it aside he was able to look inside. He could see a table, several roughly carved stools and chairs, a couple of barrels in the corner, and a chest with yet another padlock. Around the back of the hut there was a well with a rope coiled up next to it, one end attached to an upturned bucket and the other to a nearby tree. Tollivant decided he’d seen enough. He suddenly remembered how Jago had mentioned bandits on the first evening. Before he went he took out his compass to sight along the path back to the road. It was always more accurate to sight in both directions, so that any error in the first reading would hopefully be balanced out by the second one, and even if this was a bandit hideout, Tollivant hated sloppy work.

Just as he was noting the reading down in his notebook, he heard the sound of voices coming from the other direction, behind the hut. He dived as quickly as he could into the nearest bush to hide, but succeeded only in making a lot of noise and ended up with his face in the dirt, a twig poking his armpit and his legs sticking out onto the path. His bulky pack only wedged him in more firmly. The voices stopped for a moment, then came back harder and sharper. Someone was barking orders, and footsteps were approaching. Tollivant wriggled like a worm to try and extricate himself from the bush, but it was too late and he felt hands on his ankles, pulling him roughly out so that the twigs scratched his face and neck and hands. He was dragged face-down all the way to the hut, and his glasses fell off in the dirt. Without them he was half-blind, but he could see well enough to recognize the look of anger on the face of the man who picked him up, dumped him unceremoniously on one of the chairs, and peered into his eyes.

‘Who the petch are you?’ The man hissed, stale breath wafting across the scholar’s mouth.

‘Tollivant,’ said Tollivant, as brightly as possible. He firmly believed that there was no situation that couldn’t be improved by being friendly. ‘Tollivant Brennson, at your service, sir.’

‘Don’t take the piss, you little squirt,’ came the reply, accompanied by a cuff around the head. ‘What the shyke are you doing snooping round ‘ere. You with the Knights?’

‘Yes, actually I am,’ Tollivant said, and was about to explain what he was doing but was cut short by a hard punch to the stomach. He doubled over, gasping and retching, his already blurred vision moving even further out of focus. ‘Wha…what was that for?’ he asked, indignant.

‘What’s your game, pal? You spying?’

Tollivant shook his head vigorously. ‘No, no, nothing like that. I’m a cartographer. From the University of Zeltiva.’

The two men glanced at each other, and then nodded. ‘Spy,’ they both said simultaneously, and another punch landed in Tollivant’s side. ‘Why did they send you? Do they know about this place?’ The pain prevented Tollivant doing anything except shaking his head. ‘What about Stone? Do they know he’s alive?’

The scholar looked at them helplessly. ‘I d..d..don’t know,’ he managed to stammer. Another punch, to the face this time.

‘This would be a lot more pleasant if you just told us why you’re here,’ the first man said.

Tollivant’s face creased. ‘I told you, I’m making a map…’ crunch. A boot met his kneecap. ‘I’m not a spy…’ fingers gripped his earlobes like a vice, pulling him up and out of the chair and shooting arcs of pain through his ears and his head.

Tollivant kept thinking he couldn’t take anymore, but it kept getting worse. Eventually, when he could no longer hold himself upright on the chair or speak, the men stopped.

‘I don’t understand,’ one said. ‘He’s just a weedy scrap, how is he resisting?’

‘B…b...because I don’t know anything,’ Tollivant stammered.

‘Hey, maybe he’s telling the truth,’ the other man said. ‘He doesn’t exactly look like a Knight, come to think of it.’ They considered their victim. ‘If he’s not a Knight, what should we do with him?’

‘Kill him, obviously,’ came the reply. ‘Even if he’s not one of them, do you think he’s just gonna forget we’re here?’

‘True,’ his friend said. ‘But don’t you think we should wait for Stone?’

‘Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’m starving anyway, let’s get a fire going and get this baby on,’ he said, pulling a rabbit out of his pack.
Tollivant Brennson
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Job thread Spring 517

Postby Tollivant Brennson on May 31st, 2017, 6:00 pm

Night fell. The men had eaten their fill, while Tollivant’s stomach rumbled unheeded. He drifted in and out of a hazy sleep that was more like unconsciousness while they sat around regaling each other with tales of past glories. After what felt like a very long time, the sound of horse hooves could be heard. ‘That’ll be Stone,’ one of the men said to other, satisfied. ‘Good, then we can get rid of this bastard and get some sleep,’ the other replied. As the horses got closer, one of the men suddenly sat up straight. ‘Hang on, how many horses can you hear?’ he asked. The other listened carefully, and glanced at him with a grim nod. ‘Let’s get out of here.’

They grabbed their cutlasses, shouldered their packs, and were about to leave the hut when one stopped. ‘What about him?’ he said, jerking a thumb over his shoulder. ‘Kill him. No time to wait for Stone.’ Tollivant was vaguely aware of a looming figure with a raised blade standing over him, but before he could even register what was happening the man stumbled forwards, gasping, and then toppled over on top of Tollivant, who was too weak to push him off. There was an arrow protruding from his back, shot through the open door. One of the mounted Knights grabbed the fleeing bandit and struck him on the side of the head with the hilt of his sword, knocking him out. They tied him up and dumped him over the back of one of the horses, and then came into the hut and hauled Tollivant’s hapless attacker off him.

‘By the gods, what have they done to you?’ said a female voice. It was the woman who had met him on the first day. ‘The barkeeper at the Fool’s Errand sent a message saying you hadn’t come back this evening, so we figured you’d got into some kind of trouble. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to find you alive.’ ‘H…how did you find me?’ Tollivant asked, slowly dragging his thoughts together with the help of a waterskin, which he gulped down gratefully. ‘The innkeeper let us into your room so we could find this,’ she said, showing him a crumpled vest. ‘It was easy from then, the dogs just followed your scent. Come on then, let’s get you home.’

The woman picked him up as easily as she would a child, plumped him onto the front of her horse, and then leant forward to hear what he was trying to whisper. He pointed at his eyes, then to the ground, then to his eyes again, trying to draw the outline of his glasses on his face. After a few attempts, she understood, and swept a torch over the ground until she saw them glinting, and smiled as she saw the young man’s joy at being reunited with his precious glasses.

Tollivant spent the next few days recovering at the tavern. The Knights were grateful for his discovery of the hideout, and his information that ‘Stone’ was alive, whoever he was, and in repayment paid the cost of his stay at the inn. While he was recovering he collated all his measurements and used them to draw out his map, the task focussing his mind away from the bruises that were flowering all over his body, and that he proudly showed off to anyone who would listen in the tavern every evening. By the time he had finished the map and was well enough to leave the Outpost, he had become firm friends with half the village and had already told the story of Tollivant and the Bandit Hideout dozens of times.

Word count: 3012

OOCIf it's not acceptable for Tollivant to have his expenses paid by the Knights let me know and I'll add it to my ledger.
Tollivant Brennson
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An unwelcome guest

Postby Karyk on June 20th, 2017, 12:31 am

Tollivant Brennson
Your Grade is being withheld due to your Character Sheet lacking a Green Checkmark on it. Please PM Prophet asking him to review it. When approved and checkmark granted, send me a PM and I'll release your grade.

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: X
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Spring 517
Season of last IC post: Summer 517
Season of last Paid Seasonal Expense: Spring 517
Eligible for grade? No
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes