PM to join [Spoonman] Within & Without (Karyk)

A forgotten spoon, a pipe, and a new face.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Spoonman] Within & Without (Karyk)

Postby Baran on June 8th, 2017, 5:32 pm

74th Summer 517 AV

A gentle caress blew across Baran's face in his slumber. He was dead to the world, lost in his bewildering, maze-like dreams, in which drums beat and horns droned and a woman sang like a cuckoo. His dreams were out of his control, and as such were chaotic and freakish. Although there were many things about his dreams that frustrated him and made his head hurt, the chaos of them was natural. However, in the waking world, Baran was a stickler for some degree of cleanliness. His room, though, was unnecessarily untidy and random, and full of what his waking mind would call shyke.. He lay beside his bed, blankets fallen from bedtop to floor in an untidy heap. Several empty tankards lay sprawled across the floor, interspersed with the man's clothes. His gamba was half-out of it's case, and one broken string curled around a pile of crushed rosin.

Was it usual for him to be in such disharmony? No. Was there a reason for it? Yes. Despite still being apparently deep in contented sleep, the musician was being haunted by a series of reoccurring dreams, and as such was driven ever so slightly insane by them. First it had been the drum beat, etching a pattern into his skull. Then it had been the rich melodies of a horn, and finally now... a woman singing. It drove him crazy to hear these same three musicians each night, in some way or another, playing the same music, yet different every time. Constantly shifting so that whenever he wanted to imitate it, his fingers slipped on the strings and the melody hid and he cursed in frustrated anger.

His rented room had suffered the consequence, becoming as cluttered as his mind was. Yet there was a sliver of hope for his sanity, and that lay in his new purchase, that of a wooden pipe for the smoking of tobacco. It was small and far from being noteworthy, yet the methodical preparation of the tobacco and the calming puff of the heady smoke had helped to calm him the past few days. So it was that as his hand twitched in sleep, his fingers strayed into the ash pile knocked from his pipe the night before, and the man began to awake.

"Petch." It wasn't a good way to wake. Morning's light stung through the open window, effusing directly onto his face as he squinted with furrowed brows drawn angrily across his forehead. A headache was gnawing its way steadily and slowly across his temples and up to the front of his head, presumably where he'd accidentally knocked it in the night. Yet nevertheless, the man woke and tried to put the sweet song of the unknown seductress from his mind. It was an impossible task, but he tried.

Just before midday...

The Silver Sliver Tavern was a short boat ride away from the dump that was his room, and to drown out the clamour in his head, the tired man decided without much fanfare to spend the majority of the day inside the inn. Work was out of the question until he bought a new string, and he wasn't inclined to do anything else in the day, so the tavern's beckon called and he answered readily.

"Another ale, if you would."
Baran
"If you steal my gamba, I will gut you."

Words: 64397
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on June 8th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Karyk woke easily today, no hangover or headache today. Thirst tugged at his throat though, and he eased out of bed, climbing over Sharay. He grabbed a water skin and took several long swigs. Looking down at the sleeping kids, he found their new... agreement to be working. He promised to never come home drunk again, and they promised to help him out when it came to taking care of them. Today was a day off work, so Karyk was heading to the tavern early. Hortense had agreed to keep an eye on them, maybe take them for a swim later.

Karyk found himself wondering how he could make things better for his new defunct family. At Sharay's age, he was working along side his mother at the shipyard. But he wasn't working today, so he couldn't take her to that. Although, he did remember a fun time from his own twelfth birthday with his dad. "Sharay, get up and get dressed, you're comin' with me today. Boys, I know you're awake, you're gonna be with Ms. Hortense today. Try to go easy on her, kay?"

The boys giggled, and Karyk knew that they didn't know that Hortense was not one to be messed with. Sharay lit up, and quickly scrambled, getting dressed in one of her new sundresses Karyk had bought her, accompanied by her terribly worn boots. He'd bought her new ones, but she liked these ones better. Karyk took her by the hand and they walked out of the boarding house, both giving that same nod to the proprietors as they left.

They stepped into a ravosala, "Where to, you two?" He smiled at them genuinely, a father and his daughter out on the town, "The Silver Sliver." The man nodded, and Sharay gave Karyk a suspicious look, but he gave her a sly smirk. "No worries firebug, promise." He then ruffled her hair as the boat took off.

When the pair had arrived, they paid the ravosalaman and stepped off. Karyk had heard about the Silver Sliver but this was his first time visiting. Still holding Sharay's hand, "When I was your age, on my birthday, Grandpa took me for my first kelp beer. And today ain't your birthday, but it is when you and I share a beer. Just one, I promise. And then figure out the rest of the day, sound good?"

Sharay nodded, looking a bit nervous at this, but still smiling some too. They entered the tavern, not quite as busy this early in the day, but still active. They found a table near a tall, pale man with a slightly unshaven face. A barmaid came over, "What can I get ya two?"

Karyk smiled, "Two Silvers please, and somethin' to snack on. It's her birthday." The barmaid looked at young Sharay, who just gave her a toothy smile, "Alright." Soon after, their mugs arrived, along with a plate of bread sticks topped with cheese and herbs, and some white sauce Karyk didn't recognize, presumably for dipping.

Karyk grabbed his mug, and held it out for a toast, "To sailin' forward," he offered to Sharay. She grasped her mug with both hands and tapped it to his, giving the common reply in Zeltiva, "And never forgettin' your port." Karyk then took a long draw off of his, watching Sharay. She hesitated a moment, before raising it to her lips and downing a mouthful of the silvery liquid. Her face wrinkled up at the new taste, but when she swallowed it all down, she smiled. A tiny gasp, "It's good."

Karyk laughed and ruffled her hair, and grabbed a bread dipping it in the sauce. It was herby, creamy but he couldn't place it. But boy was it delicious. He leaned back in his chair, "The beer might be better back home, but man, they don't serve stuff like this at the bar." Sharay greedily grabbed a bread stick and dipped it. Her eyes grew wide as she tasted it. "Say what ya want about back home, but the food here really is better." Sharay nodded in agreement.

She even piped up, through a mouth full of food, "Why ain't there no music? There's always music at bars. Mum..." She got a bit sad, took a drink, blanched, and continued, "said music was always needed at a tavern."

"Iunno firebug, it is weird, maybe just too early for music."

He leaned back further, feeling a dull tap in his pocket. He felt down, found the spoon he'd found several days back resting within, having completely forgotten it was there. He took another swig of the tart ale, enjoying it, even if it wasn't as good as kelp beer. But nothing was.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on September 3rd, 2017, 1:34 am

Baran
Skills
N/A
Lores
Recurring Dreams: Three musicians playing the same music
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Summer 517 & Summer 517
Is that Season's expenses paid?: No, but not needed as this is the season before current.
Eligible for grade? Yes

Karyk
Skills
Socialization: 1
Lores
Memory: Sharay's First Beer
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Summer 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Summer 517 & Summer 517
Is that Season's expenses paid?: ✓
Eligible for grade? Yes

Some closing text here...
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes