Closed [Kyole's Butcher Shop] Same Day Delivery (Aladari)

Aladari helps Orin transport food across the city

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Kyole's Butcher Shop] Same Day Delivery (Aladari)

Postby Orin Fenix on July 12th, 2017, 3:36 am

62nd of Summer, 517AV

Kyole really enjoyed jokes. Orin did not. So Orin did his best to avoid the Akalak’s butcher shop as much as possible. It wasn’t that Orin didn’t like butchery. In fact, it was an art that the chef felt he would be thrilled to know more about. But every time Orin entered into Kyole’s Butcher shop, he ran the risk of running afoul of one of the butcher’s many pranks. No one had the heart to tell the jovial Akalak that a lot of them were unwelcome, as the dark-skinned giant took such genuine and mainly harmless pleasure in them, that even if the victims of them didn’t find them funny, they did not mind all that much. Still, Orin kept well aware from the butcher, attempting to arrange weekly deliveries whenever possible, or, if that wasn’t feasible, sending anyone else to pick up the order. His stress levels were high, and his nerves were shot, and he didn’t know if he could take being pranked without reacting negatively.

Unfortunately, this journey was absolutely necessary. The Almond Blossom was hosting an event tonight, which they did extremely rarely and only for their oldest and most prestigious customers. Even Orin didn’t know who was invited, only that the best effort was required by all of them. In addition, the party had requested a specific menu, which The Almond Blossom did not have all the ingredients for. Since Orin hadn’t been looped into the conversation as to who was hosting the event or what it was for, he couldn’t beg Dolmar or Korana to make the trek, as they were busy working on finalizes the details for tonight. Since none of the regular staff were needed – it was a small intimate event, supposedly – they’d been dismissed for the day. Which is how Orin had been saddled with this particular task.

It wasn’t that he didn’t enjoy the walk, or that he wouldn’t mind running an errand to any other location in the city. It was that this season had been a particularly rough one on Orin’s emotions. He felt alternatively like every single feeling he had was jerked up to extremely high levels, followed by periods of time where he felt nothing at all. There were even days when he was seeing things, and people, from his past. He’d been forced to come to the conclusion that he was being haunted because the alternative was that he’d gone quite mad. So he clung to the belief that some outside force was attempting to destroy his fragile mental state, since imagining otherwise would lead Orin down a very dark path.

So, Orin enjoyed the sunshine while he could, although it was a bit hot for his taste, and the air itself felt heavy, as if was trying to press every last drop of sweat out of the shop. In the meantime, he would pray that Kyole would for once be in a normal, serious, non-joking mood. “Priskil preserve me,” he practically chanted, even though the goddess definitely didn’t listen to pleas as minor as these. Still, the thought of her cleared some of the fog that Orin felt these days whenever his emotions weren’t at a fever pitch.

It was a long walk, and one Orin was already dreading on the way back, carrying the meat that he’d have to pick up. He couldn’t ask Kyole to leave the shop unattended, so Orin would just have to find a way to juggle the many packages he was no doubt about to receive. If he’d been planning ahead, Orin would’ve brought something to carry them with, but for once his propensity to think about food related matters in advance had failed him. He had been so thrown by having to go to Kyole’s that he hadn’t been thinking of much else. That was a dumb mistake, Orin thought ruefully.

Finally, Orin reached the butcher shop and paused with his fingers on the handle. He took a deep breath to prepare himself for what was about to happen. Easing the door open incredibly slowly, Orin waited until it was fully open and he could see most of the shop. It looked empty, but that had fooled Orin in the past. Luckily, nothing had been rigged over and on the door, so that was one hurdle Orin wouldn’t have to overcome.

It was odd, though, that Kyole wasn’t here at the front desk. Usually the Akalak liked to watch the results of the pranks. Maybe he’s working in the backroom? It was a reasonable guess, but Orin still couldn’t bring himself to step into the shop. Instead, calling into the empty room as loud as he could, Orin asked, “Hello? Kyole?” He paused for a chime, expecting a response. When nothing came back, Orin grew slightly more agitated. “Kyole, you in there? Is anybody in there?” Feeling a growing frustration, Orin wondered if this might be the joke, that Kyole would pretend not to be here. Of course, it would be a poorly received joke, and not a very effective way to make money, either, by scaring away customers.

Finally, Orin was fed up enough to simply start shouting. “Oy. Kyole. It’s me, Orin Fenix, from the Almond Blossom.” Figuring that the butcher would need additional incentive, the chef added, “We’ve got an order we’d like you to fill but I’m more than happy to take it elsewhere. Besides, I’ve been here before and I’m not going to fall for it this time around, so whatever it is, you better just set it off because I am not going set foot in this shop until I know it’s safe and been approved as I see fit.” Maybe that was a little much but it was worth it if Orin didn’t get pranked.
Last edited by Orin Fenix on July 13th, 2017, 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
No wifi at home. May affect posting
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1122075
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 12th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Dear Gods, how long can one day be?

Aladari was attending what was only her first week of work at the butcher shop, and already, she felt it wearing on her soul. It wasn't that the work itself was bad; she worked only with Kyole, and so had almost free-reign around the shop. She was given plenty of time and material for hands-on learning, and was enjoying the work she did.

The problems layed with the environment. It was hot. The Vantha had been reduced to wearing a turban and scarf wherever she went for protection, and though it had seemingly helped her anonymity, Morwen's gnosis kept her more than warm enough underneath the clothing. Not to mention the fact that the Summer had become near sweltering in mere days.

Today was especially warm, as she had to put plenty of strength behind her work, and easily worked up a sweat. She was hacking away at a hunk of meat with a new instrument Kyole had shown her. He had called it a cleaver. "Greatest weapon you'll ever use to cook." He told her. Certainly, she could see why he considered it a weapon. The tall blade was incredibly sharp, and had holes near the top which she could only assume were for maximum velocity while swinging it.

Aladari swung the cleaver down again, severing a long piece of cow meat into two pieces. Heaving one on top of each other, she then eyed them up and swung again for four pieces. However, the cleaver must not have had enough power, as it didn't make it all the way through the second piece. Aladari cursed heavily, yanking out the cleaver and letting it fall to the counter with a clang. She wiped her forehead with her bare arm, smearing sweat and blood from the meat all across her face.

"Hey Al!" Chirped Kyole from directly behind her.

Aladari started, flinging her hands in the air.
"Petch, Kyole!" She yelled, whipping around.

"Ah, shyke!" He laughed, clapping a heavy hand on her shoulder. "What'd you do, eat it raw?"

Aladari sighed, trying again to wipe her face.

"Here," He stopped her. "Let's go out back and get you some water."

-------

After a less than refreshing splash of warm water, most of the blood had been cleaned from Aladari's face, and instead stained the dark apron Kyloe had given her to work in.

As she busied herself with drying her face and hands, Kyole sauntered about checking on his hanging meats. A few of them which were skinned he dusted with salt. The unskinned he shook blood from the necks, or slashed a new hole in the neck, then left to sit awhile longer. They hadn't been in the room more than a couple of ticks before they heard an agitated voice yelling through the building.

"Oy. Kyole. It's me, Orin Fenix, from the Almond Blossom."

Kyole turned to look towards the counter and frowned. "Orin? He was nice enough last time he was here...I hope I didn't upset him." The Akalak pulled a sad face, as if he didn't understand what he had done. Aladari wasn't fooled. Kyole had to have known exactly what he had done, and she was sure it had been less than tasteful. The frown marring such a handsome face did pull at her heartstrings just a little, though, so she quickly offered a solution.

"Don't worry about it. I'll take the order."

"Aww, thanks Al. You're the best." He flashed her a smile before moving back into the shadows of the shop.

She didn't trust him there by any means, so she willingly made herself scarce. Approaching the front counter, Aladari half-smiled politely at the customer. She pulled out the pen and paper from underneath the counter and set it out before addressing him.

"Orin, was it? Aladari. Kyole is, uh, busy right now, but I can write the order down for you."
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 252688
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on July 13th, 2017, 1:54 am

Orin blinked. Emerging from the back of the shop was a woman. Wait a tick...I’ve seen this one before. This time, Kyole had disguised himself as a human, as far as Orin could tell, but the first time Orin had ever visited, the butcher had dressed as a female Akalak, leaving Orin severely confused, as the chef hadn’t known Kyole reputation until after the prank. After that, it had been a different joke every time, so Orin was surprised that Kyole was recycling old material, especially old material that had already been seen by the customer. Still as time passed, Orin began to doubt more and more that it actually was Kyole. For one thing, the skin was too realistic for paint or cosmetics, unless an expert had done them. For another, the height difference was too great, and while Orin could think of ways to make one look taller, the chef couldn’t think of too many ways to get shorter.

Drumming the fingers of his right hand on the hit of his dagger resting on right hip – one of two he took everywhere, Orin considered this conundrum. However, it wasn’t until the figure before him actually spoke in a clearly feminine voice, that Orin was willing to admit that this was not indeed, Kyole. Instead, it was an actual woman.

Orin blinked, having to reframe his whole understanding of the situation. Obviously, Kyole had hired an assistant or an apprentice of some kind. Orin was almost jealous, for a moment, although jealous was the wrong word. Still, Orin had wanted to learn more about butchery and while obviously the chef couldn’t work at the shop full time, it still stung a bit that Kyole picked someone else to impart wisdom to. Of course, this woman knew nothing about that, and Orin didn’t hold it against her.

Taking a moment, Orin considered this Aladari who was standing before him. Now that he was looking more closely, Orin didn’t know how he’d ever thought that this tiny woman could have been Kyole. She had warm, almost glowing skin, and dark hair with odd looking highlights, and although her frame was slight, Orin could see strength in her upper body. She was wearing a dark apron over her clothes, and while she looked slightly wilted from the heat, Orin could tell that she was beautiful.

At that point, Orin realized that he’d been staring for an awkwardly long time and just standing there, saying nothing. “I, ah, sorry. I was expecting Kyole, and honestly I’ve never seen anyone else in here. Sorry.” Realizing that it was rude to stay outside, but still fearing to enter, Orin peeked around the corners and didn’t see any nasty surprises waiting. Entering into the shop proper, Orin smiled tentatively at Aladari. “I’m sorry about, well, the standing out there and the caution but well, if you work here I’ll bet you know how Kyole can get.” Pitching his voice low so the Akalak couldn’t hear – because, unless Orin could see the butcher, the chef was still convinced a prank was coming – Orin asked in a whisper, “It’s safe to come in, right?”

More loudly, Orin responded to Aladari’s original comment. “Hi Aladari, nice to meet you. I’m Orin Fenix, one of the chefs at The Almond Blossom.” Orin held out his hand for her to shake. If she didn’t know what The Almond Blossom was, she couldn’t have been in Riverfall very long. “So that means, if you stick around, there’s a chance you’ll be seeing quite a bit of me.” Orin was getting a bit flustered. He’d messed up on first encounter, and beautiful people in general made him incredibly nervous for a whole host of reasons.
“So, right, the order. I should give you the order now.” Taking out the note that Dolmar had handed to Orin, the human squinted at the Akalak’s crabby handwriting in Common. “I’m going to go with ten venison steaks and ten beef steaks. At least, I think that’s a ten.” Sharing a wry grin with Aladari, Orin observed, “My co-worker doesn’t write a lot down and I think I now know why.” Folding up the note and putting it back in his pocket, Orin realized that he should give them alternate instruction, in case they were out of something. “If that’s not going to work, let me know if you have any pork or lamb. I’m sure we can adapt it if necessary.” Of course, seeing as Orin was kept out of the loop,

There was one other part to the instructions and Orin almost forgot it. Luckily, though, he wasn’t so out of it that he couldn’t remember a rather simple list. “Your choicest cuts, please.” Realizing that he might have to observe the quality, Orin decided that he should see if he could tag along. “Actually, if you don’t mind, I’d like to observe? I’ll stay out of the way, I promise!” Holding his breath, Orin awaited Aladari’s reponse.
No wifi at home. May affect posting
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1122075
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes