Questions about Ghosts

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Questions about Ghosts

Postby Nicholas Mar'tel on January 30th, 2011, 2:00 am

So I have some questions about ghosts, just gonna post them here and hope that someone will know the answer to them :)

1. Are ghosts visible at all times, or only when they are Materializing?
2. Obviously Ghosts don't wear physical clothing, does that mean they can change what clothes they seem to be wearing?
3. If yes to the above, can they also change their appearance? So that they can change from looking like a young self, to an old self?
4. How are Ghosts tolerated in Syliras and Zeltiva?
5. Obviously Ghosts don't eat regular food or light fires, so do I just... not list up that in equipment in my CS?

There might be more questions, but I'll just post/edit them in later in that case.
Really hope someone can answer these for me :)
Thank you to Darren for the colour of my avatar and CS pic.
Credit for the picture itself goes to amiyaz on deviantart.
Nicholas Mar'tel
Syliran Knight

Words: 6741
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Questions about Ghosts

Postby Iris Dove on January 30th, 2011, 2:36 am

Hello, from what I understand ghosts produce a substance called soulmist. The presence of this substance is what allows living entities to see them. When the ghost's supply of soulmist runs out, (say because they got too tired), they cannot be seen anymore, and will have to rest and build up enough soulmist to be able to be seen again. So no, ghosts are not visible at all times... as for the rest, I am sorry I cannot help you... perhaps someone in the chat can? Anyway, hope that helps, and welcome to Miz!

Iris
Iris Dove
Wanderer

Words: 77849
Joined roleplay: November 2nd, 2010, 5:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Questions about Ghosts

Postby Jilitse on January 30th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Hi Nicholas, welcome to Mizahar. It would be fun to roleplay ghosts, so let me help you with your questions:

1. Are ghosts visible at all times, or only when they are Materializing?
They aren't visible to regular humans unless they materialize. Of course there are certain skills that allow other individuals to sense the presence of a ghost like people with skill in Spiritism or Auristics.

2. Obviously Ghosts don't wear physical clothing, does that mean they can change what clothes they seem to be wearing?
Yes, but this would take skill. Practice Materialization more often! :D

3. If yes to the above, can they also change their appearance? So that they can change from looking like a young self, to an old self?
Based on the wiki on Materialization" Moreover, ghosts can only materialize one of their usual forms; they cannot make up new ones on the spot." And on the Ghost wiki: "A ghost tends to resemble its former self when it was alive. Whether it chooses to look like it did just before death, or some other version, depends on the individual ghost and what occupies its mind. Ghosts who wish to avenge their deaths often showcase their wounds in gruesome ways; those who died more peacefully will likely choose a more elegant façade to represent them."
I hope that helped! For further questions, check with Tarot and see if he can provide you with details.

4. How are Ghosts tolerated in Syliras and Zeltiva?
I think that in most populated places, since the wiki states that ghosts are "common" they aren't too strange and aren't really too rare. But of course, certain kinds of people would still be spooked out by ghosts, and some others who hunt for ghosts might be out to "dust" them. Read the Spiritismlore and check dusting ghosts section.

5. Obviously Ghosts don't eat regular food or light fires, so do I just... not list up that in equipment in my CS?
I am pretty certain this had been asked before, and the answer was that ghosts can have possessions, but it would be a bother, specially if they have no means to carry it around.

Hope I helped! Look forward to seeing you roleplay!
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)