[Verified by Luminescence] Silas Sticks

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 3:07 pm

Silas Sticks

Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 14th, 2018, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silas Sticks
Everyone always expects more.

Words: 32215
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2018, 2:30 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 3:41 pm

General Info

Name: Silas Sticks
Birthday: 91st of Spring, 489 AV
Height: 5’10” (178cm)
Weight: 169 lbs (77 kg)
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Pale brown is about the nicest description one can use when commenting on Silas’ eyes. Part of the Sticks family curse, almost every single member of the family has this same eye color. If one truly looks at Silas’ eyes, they would be reminded of the pale, pasty brown of dried up dog shit. Definitely one of Silas’ least attractive traits.
Place of Birth: Zeltiva, Sylira
Place of Employment: Medical Assistant at The Catholicon (2 kina/day)
Languages: Silas speaks Common fluently. With all the exposure to sailors growing up in Zeltiva, he can get by with Fratava, though he struggles to get even basic ideas across. He avoids use of it if he can. The only other language Silas knows is Shiber, and the only words he knows are the curses. There was just something appealing about swearing in the language of the people blessed by the God of Purity.
Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 12th, 2018, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 3:54 pm

What Silas Is Like

Silas is, in a word, insignificant. Not that he doesn’t have his talents or a healthy dose of intelligence, he’d just prefer to go unnoticed. He never strives to perform above the expectations others have for him. In fact, he aims to sit slightly below those expectations, so no one will suspect he is capable of more. This is where Silas sits, in the comfortable place of never behaving so poorly as to be reprimanded and never doing so well as to be recognized.

This is his way with all things, not just his work. In his interactions with other people, in his relationships, in his striving for his own goals. Perhaps, his feigned indifference toward himself is a reason for his never having accomplished much in his life.

Silas is not of the opinion that everyone else functions the same way as he does, but those who strive to be their best, he sees as idiots. Their best will never be enough once people know what they are capable of. Everyone always expects more.

In general, Silas is not trusting of others and tends to treat most situations and people with detachment and apathy. He can fake concern and care well enough but rarely ever truly feels these. This is not surprising. His life, after all, has been a series of one good fortune after another.
Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 11th, 2018, 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 3:56 pm

A Series of Good Fortune (Pt. 1)
Dead Weight

Thud thud thud thud thud.

From a dead sleep, a young Silas Sticks woke to the light rapping of a fist on the window shutter of his family’s house. He flinched, certain the noise was a premonition of a fist coming to meet his ribs, but as he came to, he realized the beating had already come that evening and his father was too busy sleeping off his last bender to give Silas another.

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Silas stared at the window in confusion. Nobody found anyone in his family worth paying a visit to, especially in the middle of the night, unless it was someone coming to collect on the debts Silas’ father had accrued. But those kind of people didn’t knock on the window. They kicked down the front door. It had happened before. Nope. This was something different.

The knock was more insistent this time. With a brief groan, Silas rolled over, stopping half way as the muscles across his narrow ribs spasmed in protest against the beating they had taken. He sucked in a breath and held it, waiting for the worst of the pain to subside and the muscles to relax. When both had done that as much as they were going to, Silas finally rolled the rest of the way over on his hands and knees.

A groan came from just next to Silas. “Make ‘em go away, Silas.”

His twin sister’s voice was more insistent than the knocking and carried a fierce vehemence. Sienna sounded ready to murder the person on the other side of the window if they didn’t stop soon. She got grumpy whenever a beating rolled around, especially if she was one of its recipients. Usually, whenever a beating began, Sienna made herself scarce, disappeared completely, so she wouldn’t be around when their father grew bored of walloping Silas. It was a longstanding agreement between the twins that Silas took the worst of the beatings, and in return, he got… nothing. When he really thought about that, he hated his sister for it, but for whatever reason she had stayed tonight. Maybe she had just misjudged their father’s mood and his dedication to proving himself powerful, but Silas didn’t think so. Something strange and powerful had possessed her, and her eyes had been defiant, even through the pummeling. Sienna was regretting it now, though.

Thud thud thud-

Silas swung the window shutters inward before the person outside had the chance to continue the knock. Whoever had constructed their house had done a poor job at it. Nothing functioned the way it should. Some windows opened inward; others, outward. Even the front door didn’t fit in the wall, though that could have been from the half dozen or so times it had been kicked in. None of the windows sat at the same height as the others.

It was the dead of night, and in the darkness, it took Silas a few ticks to recognize who it was. “Saul? What are you doing here?”

“Saul?” Sienna sounded none too pleased that their cousin had showed up. “Petch off. I was sleeping.”

At fourteen, Saul was twice their age and didn’t look like he was going to take shit from anyone tonight. As Silas’ eyes adjusted, he could see his older cousin’s black eye.

Saul growled back at Sienna. “Go eat shit, cousin. I’m not in the mood for-”

“Lay off her, Saul.” It wasn’t often Silas defended his sister and her bitter attitude, but tonight, he wouldn’t do anything but. “I know you’re not in the mood, but neither is she. She’s had a rough night.”

Saul’s eyes narrowed as he looked Silas over. “Neither of you look like it.”

“That’s because your dad isn’t ashamed to have people know he hits kids. Ours makes sure our shirts hide the bruises. Somehow, he thinks that makes him better.”

Saul’s narrowed eyes changed from those of someone appraising to someone ready to kill. “Both of you got a fist tonight.”

Silas nodded.

The older Sticks cousin’s fists clenched. “I could kill him for you, if you’d like.”

Silas smirked. He wished it were that easy.

“Petch off!” Sienna needed her sleep and had had enough of this interruption to it. She yanked Silas’ blanket away from him and threw it over her head. Her muffled words from under the patchwork material were more resigned than the usual bitter air they carried. “Go back to sleep. Whatever this is can wait for tomorrow.”

Saul sighed. “It really can’t.”

“Let me step outside, so Sienna can sleep.”

“Get your shoes. I’m gonna need your help with something.” Saul’s voice softened. “You get rest, Sienna.”

“Petch off.” The words were bitter, but the tone was just exhausted.

Sliding on his shoes as quickly as he could, Silas crawled through the open window and followed Saul as his cousin began to lead him through the streets of Zeltiva, the fresh scent of the brine being carried on the fierce gusts of the Bonesnapper. Even in his still half asleep state, Silas knew the familiar route to Saul’s house.

“Why are we headed to your place?”

“Because what I need help with is there.”

Silas didn’t like that Saul was being cryptic. His cousin tended to be blunt. “Why won’t you tell me what we’re doing, Saul?”

The oldest of the Sticks cousins stopped dead in his tracks, and Silas nearly ran into him. Saul looked his little cousin in the eye as best as he could in dark that pervaded the streets. “Listen. Whatever happens tonight, we can’t get caught. No matter what. Got it?”

“Yeah. I got it.”

“And from here on out, no names. I don’t want anyone knowing we were even out and about tonight. Even Sienna knowing is one too many people.”

Silas didn’t like Saul’s tone. He looked up to his older cousin, but no matter how much he respected Saul, Silas didn’t love him. There were few people Silas actually loved in this world. He could count them on one hand. In fact, he could count them on one finger. As much as he hated Sienna sometimes, he couldn’t help but love her. She was his sister, his twin. Besides, nobody would find out about their outing from her. If there was one thing Sienna did well, it was discretion. Silas said so. “You don’t have to worry about Sienna. She knows how to keep a secret.”

“What did I say about names?”

“Right. Sorry.”

“That’s alright. We’re almost home.”

They were far from Silas’ home, far from the comfort of the floor where he slept every night. He wished he was still there, but he wasn’t and decided to make the best of it. Saul led them on an indirect path, but in less than a quarter bell, they were standing on the front doorstep of Saul’s house. Saul led the way in, and Silas followed.

And froze at what he saw. Saul’s father sat on a chair in the middle of the open front room, motionless. Silas wasn’t sure if he could see the man breathing or not. There were thick canvas sheets from old sails lying on the floor beneath him. A bedsheet was wrapped around his throat, soaked in blood. A small puddle of it had gathered at his feet.

Silas found his voice. “Is he dead?”

“No. We need to get him to the healers.”

“Oh.” Silas nodded in understanding. “Okay.”

He began to move toward the man when Saul stopped him. “Idiot. Of course he’s dead. I slit his throat.”

Silas froze again. “Petch.”

“Don’t use that word.”

“You killed him.” Silas was aghast.

“Keep your voice down. We don’t want the entire world knowing it.”

“What am I supposed to help you do? We can’t exactly unkill him.”

“I want to move his body.”

Silas shook his head. “You’re not gonna be able to hide the body. Even if you knew a place where no one would look, eventually, it’s gonna rot. The stench’ll lead everybody right to him.”

“I don’t want to hide him.” Saul looked tired now. “I want people to find him. I just don’t them to find him here. Nobody will care when he’s gone. They’ll look for his killer for all of a week, just to do their due diligence. And then it will be over. And then he’ll be out of my life forever.”

“Silas?” The small voice that came from doorway to a back room caused both of them to start.

They looked to the young girl standing in the doorway to the bedroom. Sasha, the youngest of the Sticks cousins, was a decade younger than her brother Saul. Somehow, she alone out of seven children had managed to escape the Sticks family curse. While she still had brown eyes, they had a depth to them that all her siblings’ and cousins’ lacked. They were a dark brown, far from the pale, old-dog-shit brown the rest of the cousins shared.

“Sasha, what are you doing awake?” Saul’s plan for secrecy was not going his way, and he wasn’t pleased about it.

“I heard you talking. Is dad sleeping?”

Fortunately, her father was facing away, so she didn’t see the bloody material wrapped around his neck. Silas quickly kicked a sheet over the puddle of blood on the ground and crossed the room to stop in front of her, further obstructing her view. “Yeah. He’s catching a quick nap before he heads back out to the tavern, so you gotta make sure you stay nice and quiet. Okay?”

Sasha smiled and nodded, whispering, “He’s nicer when he’s asleep, anyways.”

She hugged him, and he returned the embrace. She was a sweet kid, and he wished the best for her. As much as he didn’t love her, he still cared for her and imagined, of all the cousins, she’d go the farthest in life. “Why don’t you go back to bed? Saul and me are gonna clean this place before he wakes up. He made the mess, but you know how he gets.”

“Yeah.” She stepped back into the room and closed the door, whispering through the crack as it closed. “Night, Silas. Night, Saul.”

Saul and Silas both breathed a sigh of relief, then set about their work. Saul’s father wasn’t a big man which was probably why he targeted his children. Still, any size body falling to the floor could make quite the noise, and neither of them was going to risk waking someone up. Together, they wrapped the man’s body with a few more sheets before lowering him the floor.

Though gravity was working with them, it was still not an easy task. As they attempted to lift him, the body shifted and listed precariously to Silas’ side. It took all of what little strength Silas had to keep the corpse from falling to the floor. Wrapping his hands around a dead arm, Silas strained upward as hard as he could, but it was only Saul lifting from the other side that really kept the body up. As quickly as they could, the two eased the body the rest of the way to the floor.

As they rolled the body up in the scrap of old sail, Saul laid out his rules for the night. “Remember, no names. In fact, no talking whatsoever. Nobody can know we were out tonight. And we’re going to have to carry him for a good distance. I don’t want drag marks leading back to my house.”

“Got it.”

Once everything was set, Saul peaked out the front door to ensure their route was clear. Nobody was coming, so the two hoisted the body, Saul at its head and Silas at its feet, and made their way out into the streets of Zeltiva. Dead weight being what it was made their task more difficult. Though they each had an end of the corpse, the center sagged, and it was everything Silas could do to keep the body’s middle from dragging. His grip quickly weakened, and only a few streets away, Silas had to stop.

“Set it down.”

“What did I say about talking?”

“Set it down, or I drop it.”

Saul stopped, moving up against a wall, so the body would be partially obscured from view if anyone passed by. The path they were on was nearly devoid of torches, probably why Saul had chosen it, but they were taking no chances. Several chimes passed while they waited for Silas’ muscles to recover, interrupted only by the gusts of the Bonesnapper that drowned out even their own heavy breaths. When they were ready, they started again.

Saul made sure they were halfway to the docks before he let them set the corpse down and drag it the rest of the way. It was slow going, one dragging while the other kept watch until the one tired and the other took over. Bit by agonizing bit, they crept their way across the city, only having to stop once when their path intersected two lovers’ rendezvous for a triste. The cousins didn’t have to wait long, ten chimes at most, before the lovers decided to take their meeting indoors, but the waiting was insufferable. By the end of it, Silas could hear his own heart beating in his ears over the tantrum the Bonesnapper was throwing.

The close encounter with nearly being caught had given both boys a surge of urgent strength, and they made quick work of dragging the body to its final resting place. There were a few obstacles left to navigate. When they pulled him down some steps, the Bonesnapper suddenly quieted, as if it was trying to betray them. The head created an odd, dull sound as it bounced off each individual step.

A short ways later, Saul opened up the sheets and canvas and rolled the body out on to the street. There were a few barrels in front of a side street, and Saul pointed to them. Somehow, even as tired as he was, Silas understood and picked up the body one last time, dragging it behind the barrels, as if someone had sloppily tried to hide it there. Saul followed, dragging the bloody sheets to add some convincing details. When that was done, the older cousin simply waved to the other, then went on his way to stow the bloody cloth elsewhere.

And in the space of a few ticks, Silas was standing alone, if one didn’t count the dead body. Which he didn’t. Somewhere during their trip, it had shit itself, and the smell was becoming a bit much for Silas to stand. In another few ticks, the body sat alone, waiting to be discovered the next morning while Silas left following a convoluted, backroad way back to his home.

As quietly as he could, he pushed the window open, crawled back through, and closed it again. With steps as light as he could manage, Silas made it back to the floor mat that was his bed. He thought he had been quiet, but as he closed his eyes, Sienna’s voice cut the stillness of the house.

“What did Saul want?”

“Nothing,” Silas lied. Badly. “It was nothing serious.”

“You don’t wake someone up in the middle of the night for something unless it’s serious.”

Silas didn’t have anything smart to say, so he kept his mouth shut. His sister was good at reading people, and any lie he would try to serve up would be seen through.

Sienna sighed. “He finally offed his dad, didn’t he?”

How the petch did she get that from the nothing I said. Silas’ heart pounded in his ears again as he held his silence.

“Don’t worry, little brother.” She always called him little, because she had been born first. “Your secret’s safe with me.”

“Thanks, Sienna.”

“Whatever. Go the petch to sleep.”
Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 11th, 2018, 1:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 3:58 pm

A Series of Good Fortune (Pt. 2)
Pulling the Strings

In which Silas follows in Saul’s footsteps.
Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 11th, 2018, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 4:00 pm

A Series of Good Fortune (Pt. 3)

In which Silas finds himself on his way to Lhavit.
Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 11th, 2018, 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 1st, 2018, 4:15 pm

Things Silas Can Do (Skills)

Skill XP Sources Total Mastery
Body Building +5 (SP) 5 Novice
Dentistry +15 (SP) + 15 (RB) 30 Competent
Medicine +10 (SP) 10 Novice
Sewing +10 (SP) 10 Novice
Storytelling +5 (SP) 5 Novice
Weapon: Garrote +5 (SP) 5 Novice
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 2nd, 2018, 1:09 pm

Things Silas Knows About (Lore)

The Normal Anatomy of Human Teeth
How to Clean a Wound
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 2nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

Silas’ Stories

Title Date Characters Summary Status Rewards
A Series of Good Fortune (Pt. 1): Dead Weight Summer, 496 AV Silas, Saul (NPC), and Sienna (NPC) Silas helps hide a body Complete None (CS Story)
A Series of Good Fortune (Pt. 2): Pulling the Strings Fall, 499 AV Silas, Sienna (NPC), and their father (NPC) Silas commits murder Incomplete None (CS Story)
A Series of Good Fortune (Pt. 4): Sinking Our Teeth into Opportunity Spring, 510 AV Silas and a dentist Silas gets introduced to an interesting field Incomplete None (CS Story)
Last edited by Silas Sticks on June 13th, 2018, 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Silas Sticks

Postby Silas Sticks on June 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm

Silas’ Home

Silas’ home is a simple 20 x 20 ft house in the Okomo Estates with a 12 x 12 ft garden outside that is surrounded by a three-foot high stone wall with a metal gate. Inside the house, there is a hearth, a table with four chairs, a washbasin, two cupboards, a chest where he stores his bedroll and blankets, and two dressers to store his clothes.
Silas Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next