Solo [Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Duncan, still during his first day in the city, is faced with yet another example of what life is like in Sunberth.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Regime

[Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 6th, 2018, 5:02 am

Image

1st Day of Fall in the Year 518 AV (Evening)
Continued From Welcome to Sunberth, Gimme Your Stuff

Following the attempted mugging against him in the early morning, Duncan spent much of the day after keeping to himself while getting a feel of the layout of the part of the city he was in. The rain was of relentless which had created a mixed blessing. It kept the streets a bit less populated during the day but also meant that being out and about was an exercise in being constantly soaked. The wind alternated between being blustery and brutal; both of which offered no relief from the cold when combined with the never-ending rain. Thankfully, there were places where Duncan could find some amount of shelter from the majority of the rain in the form of roof overhangs. This didn't keep out the wind however. Once in awhile, there would be a pause in the wind and rain although these breaks were short-lived and usually resulted in renewed storm strength shortly after. It was one of these breaks that Duncan ducked into a thankfully empty alley and examined his wounds the best he could. The one on the back of his head was throbbing but the bleeding had finally let up. He chose not to wrap it up as it could be seen as a weakness to those who would want to do him further harm. As for the knife wound in his side, he couldn't let it go. Retrieving some bandages and cotton from his first aid kit, he packed the wound best he could and wrapped the bandages around his midsection. He would need to stitch it up but that would have to wait until he had a dry, safe place to tend to it.

As Duncan moved through the city, keeping himself away from others and selectively making eye contact, he eventually found himself in a part of the city called, Baroque Bay. His decision to keep to himself as much as possible came from his initial impression of the city as a whole combined with his training and his own thoughts on social interaction. Eye contact was a sign of confidence and strength. Those who were strong and confident, looked around them as they walked and made eye contact with everyone they encountered. If you chose not to look at others, averted your eyes or kept your head down, you made yourself seem weak; open to being a victim. If you looked everyone in the eyes and held your head up in confidence, it could mean you are looking for a fight. The proper mix between the two could create the impression that you are not one to be trifled with yet you are not looking for trouble. It was a fine line but a line that Duncan realized was necessary in such a rough place.

Baroque Bay as Duncan had heard it called, was definitely a sailor's dark playground. The entire area reminded him of a seriously run-down Riverfall. Although the storm kept things comparatively quiet; compared to what it was normally, the depressed mood Duncan felt from the city remained. He hated the rain, hated the wind and hated being both wet and cold. Such weather put him in a truly terrible mood and left him yearning for the cool, crisp mountain tunnels that were home.

Time was passing fast as Duncan kept close to shadowed corners of the main streets. He avoided the alleys and side streets after his first welcoming encounter with an attempt by a couple shady men to mug him. The sun was dropping below the horizon and with it came a renewed chill to the stormy air. Despite his natural confidence that sometimes bordered on arrogance, Duncan felt extreme unease about his presence within the city. Sunberth was the antithesis of everything he believe in. From his steps in the city, he was greeted with a place that screamed of structural and organizational neglect. The buildings were rundown, the smell was uncomfortable and the entire place felt like one great wounded beast. This caused Duncan to constantly look over his shoulder, avoid certain places that looked overly unwelcoming and to even feel a bit nervous. Sunberth as everything that his home in Sultros Kingdom was not.

As he made his way down the street near the docks, he heard something out of place over the sound of the wind and rain. With a heavy sigh, Duncan pulled his completely soaked cloak tighter around his shoulders and proceeded toward another alley a few steps away.
Image
User avatar
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer
 
Posts: 76
Words: 100274
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

[Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 7th, 2018, 5:41 am

Image

As he rounded the corner into the alley, he saw a figure hunch over another. They were struggling. At first Duncan thought, This is not my problem. I should just keep walking. As he was about to leave, he noticed from the sounds that the person on the ground was a woman and the other was obviously a man. About the same time, the man turned his head slightly and yelled back at Duncan in a deep voice, "You gonna have to wait your turn."

Wait my turn...? Duncan thought to himself before realizing the man's meaning. Anger erupted in Duncan as he tossed his back further into the alley against a wall before he quickly walked into the alley toward the man. The man turned and stood while saying, "I told you to wait your turn." Duncan's eyes looked upward as the man stood. He was a behemoth, nearly seven-feet tall and easily three-hundred pounds or more. He had very short, blonde hair and a thick looking face. All Duncan could think of at that moment was, Oh this is going to hurt.

The giant of a man then unleashed a couple surprisingly quick punches that connected with Duncan's face, sending the smaller isur back a few steps. The strength of the blows were great and Duncan saw stars for a moment, his head filled with renewed pain. Despite the pain, Duncan did not back down. Instead, he straightened his stance and stared back at the human mountain.

"Glutton for pain are ya, little man? Well pain's what ur gonna get.? The man advanced and threw another punch. This time, Duncan intentionally took the punch. It wasn't as if he couldn't have tried to defend himself. To the contrary, he took the punch in order to get an idea of the man's balance and posture. As the man connected the punch, Duncan was again greeted with blinding pain but was better prepared and didn't fall back. The pain was worth it though as Duncan watched the man take a forward step with his right leg as he punched. He obviously had reach on Duncan but the fact that he led with his foot as he struck meant that his balance was offset.

"This' getting old, shorty. I've got a bitch to tend to and ur waste'in my time." With that, the man charged forth in an attempt to slam into Duncan. Duncan was more prepared for such a move and quickly lowered his stance dove to the side, rolling once and retaking his prepared stance. The man spun around and charged again, this time pulling a dagger from his belt and taking a swing.
Image
User avatar
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer
 
Posts: 76
Words: 100274
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

[Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 7th, 2018, 6:04 am

Image

As the man swung at Duncan with the dagger, Duncan dropped lower, brought up his metallic arm to black the dagger resulting in a shower of sparks. In the same motion, he swung his gauntleted arm low, cupped the ankle of the man's off foot and brought it up into the air, grabbing in his other hand. With the vice-like grip of his isurian hand, he squeezed his fingers into the man's ankle until he heard and felt the bones give way.

The man screamed in pain while hopping on his good foot in attempt to stay standing. He dropped his dagger as he tried to reach for his injured ankle. Although he had great reach, he was too big and too inflexible to be able to reach Duncan's grip; a grip that Duncan held tight.

Duncan held the man's ankle and used it to maneuver the large man at will. The pain in Duncan's head remained and made it hard to concentrate. Thankfully the rush he felt from the fight kept him going. All the activity however was seriously irritating the wound in his side which he knew would only make things worse assuming he made it out of the alley.

With the man under his control via the crushed ankle Duncan had in his hands, there was a few brief moments to consider how to proceed. Duncan was still enraged by what the man had been planning to do to the woman; the woman who was now huddled against a nearby wall, obviously in shock from what almost happened. A few breathes later, Duncan quickly thrust the man's ankle high into the air in a technique know to the isur as, shoot the moon. As he did he slammed his foot into the man's groin. The man feel to his back, howling in pain; pain from his shattered ankle and crushed testicles.

With the man the ground, unable to stand and suffering from extreme pain, Duncan moved to stand over him. "I can accept the idea of robbing another if it means you may leave with a few coins to feed yourself or your family. I can even almost accept the idea of beating a person to death to keep them from doing it to you first. What I can't accept is victimizing the innocent people for pleasure. You are not only without honor, you are without the worth needed to live." Duncan paced around the crying, babbling monster of man as he chided him for his actions. "Though you are without worth to me, I can't bring myself to kill you. Not because I don't want to but because it is not my place."

Duncan knelt down next to the man who in turn, reached up and grabbed Duncan by the throat in a last attempt at defiance.
Image
User avatar
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer
 
Posts: 76
Words: 100274
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

[Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 7th, 2018, 6:21 am

Image

Duncan let the man try and choke him. Despite the anger and disgust he felt for the man, he couldn't deny his foe's strength. The man was extremely powerful. Even with a shattered ankle and having his nuts slammed up into his throat, he still had the strength to bring a tear or two Duncan's eyes as he choked him. It was a final ironic nod of acknowledgement to the man's strength that Duncan even allowed him the chance. Duncan finally grabbed the man's wrist with his metallic hand and crushed it. This brought on a renewed cry of pain before Duncan let go.

Standing, Duncan spotted the man's discarded dagger and retrieved it. He then walked back over to the man, took hold of the shattered ankle, and drug the giant toward the cowering woman. Not wanting to seem threatening considering her experience, Duncan dropped the man a few feet from her. He then knelt down and held the dagger out, hilt first to her.

"I am sorry that his happened to you but he is powerless now. You are the one who is strong. You are the one who has the power now. He's all yours." The woman, her dark brown hair disheveled and hiding her face, her dirt dress torn, recoiled at Duncan's presence. He set the dagger down on the ground, backed away and went to retrieve his pack.

As he leaned down to pick up his pack, he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. The woman had reached out and picked up the dagger. Duncan slowly stood, slung his pack over his shoulder and turned to face the woman who now stared at the dagger in her hands.

"May Izurdin grant you strength." He said to her before turning around and walking out of the alley. Before he turned the corner onto the street, he heard a scream of rage from the woman and the death cry of the man.

Image
User avatar
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer
 
Posts: 76
Words: 100274
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

[Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 8th, 2018, 6:09 am

Image

When he was clear of the alley, Duncan paused, took a deep breath and let the pain, discomfort and disgust seep in. He felt the stab wound at his side but pulled his hand away quickly. The bandage had shifted and he was bleeding again; the skin around the wound quite tender. Damn, I have to take care of this... he thought to himself before running his hands over his face and the wound on the back of his head. The wound from the hit from the club was bleeding again as well. His face, though likely bruised, was thankfully not swollen; not yet. It did hurt however and he could feel a rather strong headache coming on.

The ever present downpour of rain had him soaked and while his thick skin normally offered some protection from the cold, his tired, weakened state left him shivering. Although far from being an expert in medical issues, the burning feeling that was gradually taking over for the pain in his side told him that he had the early stages of an infection. Considering the filth he was surrounded by, such a thing was not surprising.

With a bit of desperation beginning to rise up in the pit of his stomach, Duncan began looking for any signs of a place that may offer a bit of security and/or at least an escape from the weather. Offering a prayer of patience to Izurdin, Duncan turned a corner and spotted exactly what he was looking for. "Thank you Izurdin." He said in response to what he saw as an answer to his prayer.

He spotted a large, three story building a short walk from where he was. From the looks, muffled sounds through the rain and the sort of people who were entering and exiting, it looked like a tavern or an inn of some sort. With a slim amount of renewed hope, Duncan approached the building and found that indeed it was an inn. A sign on the outside of the building, half carved, half painted, read, "The Drunken Fish".

It looked a bit rough; the building, the patrons, but it was a dry place. With a whispered request to Izurdin for a bit of rest, Duncan stepped through the door. He took a brief look around the rather large common room and noted the sizeable bar, tables and separate rooms branching off. Barmaids tended to the tables and all manner of "unique" individuals milled about. For Duncan, the first thought that entered his mind; cutting its way through his pain and fatigue, was the need of a drink. Approaching the bar, he took a seat on one of the somewhat rickety stools.

A moment after, the bartender slid over to him. She was a slight thing that moved with confidence that Duncan could not miss. Freckled with lighter hair, she was not what he expected to see tending bar in such a place. She unsuccessfully hid the briefest of raised eyebrows as she saw Duncan but it was gone as soon as it appeared. In a cheerful voice she said, "From the looks of you, you, I see that Sunberth has greeted you properly. What can I get you, hon?"

Duncan offered the woman a slight smile and replied, "I'll take a mug of ale and any available room."

The bartender, Cira, returned a moment later with a full mug of ale and a key, both of which she sat in front of Duncan. "Upstairs, third floor, second door to the right. Five silvers for the room." Duncan nodded, took the mug in his hand, brought it to his lips and drained it in a few gulps. He sat it down and motioned for another. Cira happily obliged.

"You don't look good, hon, anything you want to talk about?" Cira asked while slipping in some of her charm.

Duncan was in no mood for charm or conversation. "With all do respect, milady, I've traveled further than most families will in generations. I am tired, soaked beyond explanation and just want a few drinks, some sleep and maybe some information on where one could find some honest work for a few coins."

While the mention of such a journey peaked Cira's interest, she knew enough about people to see that pressing Duncan for a good story was not going to result in much. "Fair enough. The drinks are yours, as many as you have coin for. Our rooms are serviceable and if you're lookin for some work, there is always coin to be had. As for honest work, well, that is a bit less common. I'd try to a place down the road, they deal in jewelry, gems, that sort of thing; catering to those with a bit more coin than most. I hear tell they're lookin for some security. If that's you're thing...and from the looks of ya, it is, I'd try there."

Duncan finished off his second mug of ale and slid Cira a couple gold mizas before giving a respectful bow of his head and making his way to his room.

He ignored the various "colorful" individuals that he passed on his way and went straight for the room. Unlocking it, he stepped in and closed the door. It was nothing fancy, a simple yet dry bed, a nightstand with a pitcher of water, an empty mug and bowl and a chest for storage. He locked the door, dropped his pack on the floor next to the bed and proceeded to undress. He carefully removed all of his clothing, took off his boots and war skirt and sat down on the bed. He took off the wet bandages around the wound in his side and retrieved his first aid kit from his pack. Using the water and a few items from his kit, he tried his best to clean up the wound, dry it off and redress it.

He did the same with the wound on his head except he didn't bandage it; still he was concerned with looking obviously wounded and/or weak. He resigned himself to the fact that he would have to seek out a healer relatively soon.

For the time being though, he was exhausted. He laid down on the bed and started a prayer to Izurdin but did not finish before passing out. His first day in Sunberth had finally come to an end.

Image
User avatar
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer
 
Posts: 76
Words: 100274
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

[Baroque Bay] Welcome to Sunberth, Wait Your Turn

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 8th, 2018, 7:04 am

Image

Completed Thread Grade

Skills

Brawling 3
Endurance 3
Medicine 3
Observation 4
Socialization 1
Wrestling 4

Lore

Brawling: Izurdin's Hammer Training: Taking hits in a fight in order to gauge an opponent's strength, balance and posture.
Brawling: Fighting against an armed and much larger opponent.
Brawling: Striking tender parts of the body, like the groin
Brawling: Using the isurian grip to break bones for the sake of disabling an opponent
Endurance: Enduring pain and existing wounds while continuing a fight
Endurance: Taking punches without defending
Endurance: Izurdin's Hammer Training: Not obviously dressing a wound in order
to avoid looking weak and/or like a potential victim.
Endurance: Withstand being choked as a display of strength and superiority over an opponent.
Medicine: Dressing a minor/moderate wound
Medicine: Simple recognition of the severity of a minor/moderate wound
Medicine: Basic cleaning of a minor/moderate wound
Observation: Judging one's balance and posture by the way they move their feet in combination with their strikes.
Observation: Knowing when a victim is not in the condition for close contact
Observation: Noting that size of an opponent can directly relate to their reach in combat.
Sunberth: Rape is not uncommon
Sunberth: The Drunken Fish is a place for all manner of patrons
Sunberth: The Drunken Fish is a potential place for information about the city
Wrestling: Leg Sweep
Wrestling: "Shoot the Moon"
Wrestling: Rolling away from a strike
Wrestling: Ankle Control
Wrestling: Grip


Other

-2 Gold Mizas


Image
User avatar
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer
 
Posts: 76
Words: 100274
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests