Completed Intro post - Toriens

Start up post of Torien on the beaches of Syka.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Intro post - Toriens

Postby Torien Encinosa on June 8th, 2019, 8:39 pm

1st day of Summer 519

‡It was late in the afternoon; the skies were brightened with the heating of the sun attempting to scorch through the darkening layer of clouds high above that provided splotching's of shade and cool quietness upon the beaches below and beyond him. A boat had brought him to Syka, along with a trader and a few of his goods, as well as a handful of others from the northern reaches of the Suva Sea. The oars were being hauled in through the port holes by the dozen arms that had been rowing it this far inland. The boat was nothing overly large, but low enough, and flat enough to be able to be driven onto the shores, and pushed back into the sea for departure. He who owned the boat had mentioned that he had never been to Syka before, but was sure that they were there when the beach that spanned out far along the coast had splotches of small buildings and a few people noticeable who were out and about. Thus Torien understood well enough that they had reached their destination. His mind was more suited to flying in the skies, than riding upon the shifting tides of water that had driven him towards a forlorn state of seasickness. He was in a hurry to get off, as soon as he could. Now was his chance. They had passed a reef before making it to the nearest of beaches. The Syka river had to be rowed passed before reaching the beach where the community seemed to thrive.
‡ Boots of a darkened leather slid into the sands he now stood upon. Some of the grains being squished outwards to form the print of his step. Those boots rose up towards his calves, adorned with buckles that were darkened to keep from reflecting a shine. Sun-darkened legs lead to the hang of leather straps that were belted to the tight strengths of a war belt layered around his waist. These wide leather straps hung with metal adornments upon them. Some of them were embossed with symbols, others were plain and unadorned with insignias or meaning save for some feint ability of defense, or display similar to brigandine. These hanging leathers thus swayed slowly with their sturdy heaviness, na form of protection, yet with the allowance of air to flow and cool off flesh where it would sweat in such heat. These curtaining folds hung over the ridges of thighs that had yet to become chiseled from running amongst but perhaps had a modest amount of use as would one who owned not a horse, and walked about instead to get from one location to another.

‡ His upper body was concealed by the overture of a light materialled mantle that hung loosely from the burl of broadened shoulders. There was a strong bulk about his chest but still, a modest amount, as well as a slender diverseness of his waist that some women were able to be caught oggling upon in the streets of his prior home. For those women were known to go home to men who were guilty of eating far too much and possibly because their women fed them, way too much. He recalled one story, where a woman began adding a particular herb to her food she served her husband. And he went about running to undo his drawers in the proper place whilst he could before it was too late. Her excuse had been that it was to help him lose weight.

‡ Anyways, such his cloak was wrapped around to keep from occurring in these settling moments where he sought to start a new life. The cloak was of a dark burgundy tone, like the thickness of his own blood. Something he’d spilt a few times in his past and looked to continue to spill from others in his future. Time with his bow had allowed him to note the varying shades of such a form of life's’ sustenance while hunting for instance. One of his arms, besought with arguing muscles enwrapped like tight vising cords beneath flesh, held onto a strap that led to his backpack. It was a leather adornment that weighed behind him with a few necessities that he felt should be brought along. It though was not carried as if it was weighing him down enough to find a place to set it. Jutting up from the same side of his back was a quiver, laden with enough arrows to take out a group of ill-intending miscreants, one by one. Discreetly strapped to the quiver was sheathed a short sword, a basic sword, a cheap one. One that would be useful regardless of it’s worth, when and if a melee weapon would be needed.

‡ There was the jutting of another hilt beyond, a smaller one, adorning the wide belt at his waist. Along with accouterments hidden within a few leather pouches tied shut with leather cords that he felt jostled loosely with the weight of their contents. Far above, his head was concealed by the brevity of a shadowing hood. Enough of the lining was pulled by lithe fingers to conceal the guise of his features, and perhaps further discreet his identity. Dark eyes lulled about the beaches beyond him, beaches that led to the rise of a few roofs that were noticeable over the lush green tops of trees. Trees of many variations he began to discern with curiosity and appeal towards the coloring fruits that grew from their arms.
‡ None the less, Torien had arrived, and began to head further from the boat now that they had finally reached Syka. Utterings from a few others about guided him with knowledge that there were places he could stay for a few nights. There was no sign of fences or walls surrounding the village. Some places looked in the process of being built further down the beach where a few tents were scattered further in the distance. The village seemed quite well off since it appeared to not be endangered by any outside predators or theft by neighboring youths of nearby villages, if there were any. There were already plans within his mind to find a suitable spot to secret his belongings which were not many, and easily hidden. He could spend some time in the air afterwards as his other half, even now, he felt his wings aching to unfold from their rootings at his spine. His shoulders shifted involuntarily to the subconscious idea, as if he would need to flap his wings even now. Wings which would lift him high into the tops of the trees, and scout out the area with a prominent eye to determine what was where, and where it would be best to settle at. First thing was first of course.

‡ He shifted his grip on his bow, its grip remained warm in his fist as he strode onwards. It was prized to him, perhaps the most important thing on him. He was silently assuring himself it would not be stolen whilst on new land, and in new company. It was the tool of his trade and what his lifestyle would be based upon to survive where he knew the untamed roamed with little restriction.

‡ Upon his left shoulder jutted the tail end of a wooden shield. This bottom side of it was acutely angled, so it could be driven into the ground. There were a few things to be done to it. Little tricks of the trade that he overheard, or picked up from watching other warriors who practiced, and sparred on the outskirts of the city's barracks. It was strapped onto his torso, the strap itself hidden beneath the folds of his mantling cloak. It had no emblem or insignia upon it, and appeared fresh off of someone's wall of priced armor.

‡ Sometimes he didn’t feel dangerous at all. Other times, people just whispered it at him, as if he didn’t recognize the fact at all. Were they seriously needing to tell him that? Perhaps it was a peaceful world, or their part was. It reminded him that he had elsewhere to go, the jungle beckoned him into its’ depths, into its dangerous clutches. The Goddess Caiyha came to mind. She whom sometimes he felt was watching over him whilst he flew around as a hawk. She who gave birth to so many of the trees that rose up so high into the skies. Needless to say, there was an abundance of plants and smaller greeneries along the beach that his eye was not used to being appealed to whilst in a port city. Peculiarities of his interest ebbed into his thoughts, Caiyha must love this area, for she had taken a good amount of her time to ensure it was beautiful. Perhaps such beauty drew beautiful women to its’ threshold and peaceful surroundings. If it was safe for such plants to become beautiful, it must be for women as well.

-‡- Word count = 1505 -‡-
Last edited by Torien Encinosa on July 4th, 2019, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torien Encinosa
Player

Words: 27317
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Intro post - Toriens

Postby Torien Encinosa on June 26th, 2019, 6:01 pm

‡The sun bore down upon Torien as he stood upon the beach. The white of his hood and cloak were of a thin layer of linen that was of a more tawny tone similar to the sands around and beyond him. It provided a shade against the darkening rays of the sun, and kept him cool enough with the fabrics weave due to the allowance of air that sifted through it to his flesh beneath. His eyes reached beyond the overhang of his hood that draped over his already darkened features. In the distance a handful of men approached. They were larger than him by a long shot. Men of older ages had a tendency to be that way. They spent more of their lifetime building up such muscles. Though there was as well those who were young and spent many, many hours either working on their bodies, or working in ways that would build it up in the process.

‡None the less, they were already approaching him when the boat landed. A few of them were armed, as if one of them was a the guard of the community, and held it as his duty to be part of the welcoming committee to the newcomer now on their shores. Another man was taller, and older looking with Svefra bred hair and eyes. Though there was a few characteristics that hinted he wasn't a full-bred. Not like Torien truly knew the differences to look for. The group was intimidating to say the least to Torien. He was still young you see, and even though he had acquired enough gear he thought was suitable to begin his adventures upon in Syka, he didn't feel capable enough to use them. The guards assured Torien through body language as they approached that they were better than he with the weapons they carried. Nor did he feel as if he was one to deny such.

‡When the leader of the group reached Torien, the boat he had arrived upon was already pulling away. Some of the men notable upon it seemed of the sort not wholly welcome to land and become guests there. Perhaps they had misdeeds with Syka in the past, and knew better than to stay. Torien though, had heard of the new settlement, and yearned to deal with the endeavors they would place upon him in order to help it as he was able. If these men allowed him to stay. If they did not, one of them jested silently to another that they could easily throw him into Sharktooth Point. Torien turned a weary eye to such whisperedt warnings, for he wanted to endure none of the results.

‡The leader none the less finally spoke up, his tone was professional, clear and strong with years of confidence and knowledge that Torien had none of, his hand reached out in the commoners greeting of a handshake. One Torien hesitatingly reached forth to mutually grasp and pronounce themselves friendly.

"Greetings stranger, welcome to Syka, or I will hope that you are one to welcome here. If you are not, then these men will handle you quickly enough. What's your name? I'm Captain James Chaliva, one of the founders here on Syka. I saw your boat while it was pulling in towards shore. I have an eye for ships you see.."

‡His tone spoke matter-of-factly, without any intent to impose anything upon Torien that would be unwelcome. Patiently he waited on Torien to respond, a gleam in his eye as he watched the youth. A grimace turning his welcoming grin into that aged hardened look as he waited for some quirk or ill answer to come out of the lad that stepped onto a place he was making his home.

"M'names Torien Encinosa, Sir. I've heard stories about Syka from a trader or two, they both sounded ligit enough to catch my dreams with promises of hidden streets of gold somewhere in the jungles beyond. But they were drunk when they began speaking of such..they also mentioned that Syka was in need of more hands, and that it was a virtual paradise, one to be enjoyed whilst it lasted. Some say that such paradises only last a few years. Or so my ears overheard. "

‡Torien spoke like a robust youth, full of immortality and some spirit of a youth that felt he could do anything his heart was set out to achieve. Potential some called it. Yet, he really didn't have the knowledge to really get into such dreams. Here though, he envisioned an opportunity to learn how to make those dreams come true. If he was allowed to. For all he knew, they had a secret code of rules he would have to follow in order to live here. Now was the time to determine if there were.

"I see, well I can't rightly say if what you've heard about streets of gold are true or not, for I've found none in my time here, but if you’re here to help out, we'd be obliged to put you to work. Is there anything your particularly skilled at? You've had to have learned to do more than carry all those weapons, what're they for?"

‡A peculiar eye was curled beneath James' brow as he asked Torien further questions. Daring more fibs and lies to be explained or gossiped about whilst he tried to get down to business instead. He seemed to be a busy man perhaps, one who didn't really want to get to know this youth too much now that the formalities were dealt with.

"Hunting, I've also heard that to make it to those streets of gold, you better know how to use a blade, because none have made it back alive to tell where their at. If they even exist…I'll consider them something to keep my eye out for while I'm out hunting. But I'm also good with leather, Sir. I've a hand with the hide of the animals I've hunted. Not close to mastering it yet, but I could make some good belts and straps easily enough. I figure I'll make some pouches and the like as well. I've seen those on the markets often enough. If I get really good at it, mebbe I'll make some armor. Or so I'm hoping. Can't blame me for figuring out how to arm myself enough to defend against someone wanting to steal m'gold can ya?"

‡Torien's tone was adolescent almost as he began to explain himself. Not like it was everyday he had to stand before the judge and jury with an executable punishment leading to death if he didn't pass. Thus, his eyes seemed to glaze over some with fear to such a notion, something to definitely worry about, nor something he intended to deal with when he set out for the paradise.

"Hunting eh? I suppose you can find something around these parts to kill. We got plenty of food growing around our home to feed a small army so we don't need rabbits or quail on our menu. But if you want to hunt down something really delicious to bring us to cook up, go right ahead. For your sake, it might be best ta kill something with enough of a hide to make us some leather crafts you say your good at. We have to buy ours when it's time to trade. Suppose that'll keep you busy enough to help us out. If you want to do more than that, there's plenty of homes around here we could use your help in building. We like to help each other out, were a small number of people, you see, together we can get things done more quickly and have more time to enjoy ourselves. That'll be it then..find yourself somewhere to settle in and when you find yourself some land to your liking let me know, I'll let you have a good five acres to claim for your own when your ready. "

‡Captain James grew weary of the meeting, perhaps he had his mind on other affairs or had something else to do. Torien could not tell, nor wanted to know so much about the man. Instead, Torien formally bowed before the man, lowering down onto a knee, humbling himself and letting his features become hidden beneath his hood as it fell further over his brow. When he returned to his mutual stance the men began turning about to return to what they'd been up to before the boat had arrived. The guards no longer viewed young Torien as a threat and were the first to begin making the trek.

‡Torien in time was given allowance to stand there by himself and ponder what he would do next. Many questions could arise to ask the founder, but he kept his lips tight enough, and decided it would be better not to bother him more than that so early. Booted soles thus treaded upon the beach to head in the direction of the area where swings hung from trees of varying makes and quality. Amongst them were a few pavilioned decks that looked encouraging enough to settle upon for now until he took the time to explore Syka thoroughly.

-‡- Word Count =1542 -‡-
Torien Encinosa
Player

Words: 27317
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes