PM to join New Place New Job (Job Thread)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

New Place New Job (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on June 13th, 2019, 1:21 am

Image
Timestamp: 6th of Summer, 518 A.V.

It had been a long journey for Vasin, a journey he had tried his best to occupy himself with work. The Captain of the vessel had accepted his proposal and put him to work. First having him measure knots and then helping with the sails. A task which required speed and strength to be certain. The other sailors roughly guided him on what to do with their help. At one point when the wind had been blowing against them, the Captain had ordered that they raise the sails. The reason for this as Vasin had learned was that when going against the wind the sails that had been so helpfully pushing them along was now pushing them back. So Vasin had joined a team of sailors. What he did was untie the knot holding the sail on the right side in place. The sailors had nagged him to move faster and so he had tried to. Eventually after fumbling about as Vasin recalled he nearly lost grip of the rope. That wasn't good as both sides had to be raised at the same time not lowered! The sailors and he proceeded to as a team raises the sail from both sides. Coordination, as he had found, was key. When the sails had been raised he was told that would help a little with the wind blowing against them. If the wind had come in at an angle he had been told that they would have simply changed the orientation a little to make the best of it.

While he had been able to help a little the sailors did not trust him completely to do the job right. He understood, he wasn't a sailor, even if his blood told him he should be. But that was neither here nor there, as now he was at the destination he had departed for. Things had taken a turn, an interesting turn, but a turn regardless! Kelski had told him she was to homestead outside but close to Zeltiva. The thing about that was while Vasin had found a home with the Midnight gem, he wanted to stay in Zeltiva. He saw a future for himself here, and while perhaps building from scratch out there was tempting, he just didn't think he was at that point in his life yet. However, he vowed he would help as much as he could. He even had an interesting idea of how to do so. Vasin figured he could help blaze a cart trail to the new location of the Midnight gem... problem was that he had no idea how to do so! However, he had an idea of who would have an idea. That road that came in from the North was constantly patrolled by those Knights who had built the road. If anyone knew anything about path making it would be them. But that was for a later time, as he had much more pressing matters.

That pressing matter was his job, his means of survival and income. He had left Goldfinger for this journey to his new life without much of an idea of how to start in this new place. He knew very little other then what he had been told. But what he did know what that he had been something of a thug... a mercenary in Sunberth. That is what brought him to the Martial Society of Zeltiva who was known to be the hotspot of Mercenary activities. He had signed up with them as quick as possible, as he couldn't sit with his hands idle for very long. In the process of doing this Vasin had heard something interesting. That something interesting was that Explorers from the University typically would hire people from the Martial Society to accompany them on little expeditions here and there. in fact, Mercenaries were known for being the explorer types. It all fit perfectly together for Vasin. However, there was a problem, in the eyes of the Martial Society, he did not have enough experience to be sent out on such jobs. It was suggested to him he cut his teeth on jobs more in line with rookies at the Martial Society. Important jobs none the less, but nothing so dazzling as going out on an expedition.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 245
Words: 290681
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

New Place New Job (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on June 13th, 2019, 1:21 am

Image
The sea breeze at his face and the sun shining overhead Vasin made his way down towards the docks. The sound of ship bells and the average commotion of the docks filled his ears. Zeltiva was a major naval power from what he understood, one which took part in the vast trade networks of the world. Ships came in and left with cargo going in and going out as well. The streets alive just like in Sunberth, though for certain a lot cleaner... perhaps more organized. Vasin was approaching the docks as a part of his first job with the martial society. The contract was simple they had told him! Simply go down to the docks, look for the marked cargo, and then guard it until pickup. Pickup is from a ship that would dock there. With luck, he would arrive just as the Cargo was being dropped off so that there would be no gap in time with it being sat there all alone. It certainly wasn't the most exciting sounding work, but if it meant getting experience with the Martial Society it was something he had to do. Though he recalled as he arrived at the docks, that not all of his Jobs with Goldfinger that sounded simple went so smoothly as one would imagine.

Upon arriving the scent of the sea is the strongest he could hear over the commotion the sound of gentle waves lapping against the planking and shores. They rolled in one after another ceaseless as time. It was a calming sound for Vasin to be sure. He stood there looking up and down the docks for a moment."Which one was it..." he mumbled to himself as he peered along the lengths of the dock. Then, in a moment of recollection, he recalled the number and counted up the docks. There it was as described, not that far away either. The best part as he saw it, was that he had arrived just as the crates of cargo were being dropped off. Vasin decided to hurry along going at a fast walking pace. Squeezing between and past people as he went. Eventually walking out and onto the dock as the worker dropped the last Cargo Crate off. He would look over the crate and find the marking he was looking for. A black X with a white O in the center was painted onto each of the crates.

This was indeed the right spot, and as he stood there he found himself alone. None of the workers that brought the cargo where here anymore. Disappearing off up the streets from whence they came. So, Vasin settled in figuring that at least this would more or less be easy. That is in terms of spotting trouble. It could only really come from one direction, the way he had come from. So, with his sword sheathed in its scabbard, he stood there, the wind blowing against him as he scanned up ahead. After a while, he would start shifting weight from one foot to another. He rolled his shoulders and after a bit decided to rest his feet, taking a seat on one of the sturdy wooden crates. he had to heft himself up a little, the crates being rather large. He wasn't sure how long these things usually took, nor was he exactly sure what he was guarding. He was just told it was expensive stuff, and to be careful not to damage it. He took them at their word, deciding it best not to tempt fate.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 245
Words: 290681
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

New Place New Job (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on June 13th, 2019, 1:22 am

Image
"Damn..." Vasin muttered to himself as he sat there on the crate, perhaps a few splinters lodged into his pants."Should have brought a book to read..." he eyed a Sea bird, probably a Gull or something. It sat there on a post looking for any signs of food. What a human might call trash, a bird like that would call food. He had heard a term for them in the past, Rats with wings. They certainly acted like it, dirty things that they were. They had fit in well at Sunberth."Just up the shore, there is a place with much more food being dropped ya know?" Vasin said speaking to it out of boredom. The Seagul for a moment almost seemed to look at him an inquisitive eye. Then, the very next moment, it flapped its wings and took off. Vasin followed it with his eyes for a moment but eventually lost track. It's white form lost amongst the clouds as they rolled in overhead."Not much for conversation..." he shrugged before giving a laugh at the silliness of talking to a Seagul.

One thing was for certain, Vasin was glad he had decided to leave the armor at home. The stuff was lighter then what one would expect, but he had still not gotten used to wearing the stuff for long durations. It had saved his life on more than one occasion of course, but for a simple job like this? He would gladly rely upon his skill. He wasn't sure how some people could wear armor all day. Maybe he would have to ask those Knights more than just about roads? They were famed for their armor, so if anyone was a good choice for asking about it, it would be them. There was a whole lot in this world he knew very little about, and in Sunberth it was hard to learn outside of what was necessary. But here? In Zeltiva there was plenty of opportunities to learn. That University, for Instance, he had been trying to learn Magic with Kelski, so maybe taking lessons there would help move him along? He wasn't sure, but maybe it was worth a shot?

Suddenly behind him, he heard something, a tap or a light thud... maybe the flap of wings? Vasin glanced over his right shoulder. A Seagul sat right there a couple of crates back. It stared at him directly with one beady eye."Oh? Is it you? From earlier? Sorry but I don't have any food for you." Vasin said though doubted it was the same Seagul even if there was a possibility. There were probably hundreds of Seagulls here. Regardless of his words, the Seagul settled in staring at him as it laid down."Well, all right then." Vasin shrugged as he looked down the dock again. Well, at least he had company now, a thought that nearly made him chuckle. He would have to try and make friends at the Martial Society or get jobs where he was paired up with people. Friends could make anything fun, Vasin had found that out when he met the people at the Midnight Gem. Great people to be certain.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 245
Words: 290681
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

New Place New Job (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on June 13th, 2019, 1:22 am

Image
'What was taking so long?' Vasin thought to himself as he sat there adjusting where he sat. He looked over his shoulder, it had been what? A couple or so hours? Was the ship running late? Oh, the Seagul was gone as well. Guess they got tired of waiting for him to give it food. He sighed as he stretched out, knowing that ship or no he had to stay here with the cargo. Probably should have grabbed something to eat... He shook his head deciding not to think about it as he pushed off from the top of the crate to stretch his legs a little. Seemed like they really didn't have much faith in him. Either that or they wanted to make absolutely sure he could get a job done. Whatever. Vasin started to stretch a little, feeling his fingers pop and crackle as he did so with some other areas. So far no one had even come over to bother him. Ships had come and gone all around, but no one had arrived for this cargo yet. Maybe he should start watching the sailors? Could learn something new.

'Ah yes! There's one!' Vasin thought as he saw a cargo ship coming in. Wasn't his, wasn't approaching the right dock. But the dock workers had gathered waiting for the ship to come up. He watched as sailors ran around the deck making call outs to the helmsman. "Too close on the right flank! Adjust!" one shouted out rather clearly even Vasin could hear. The ship glided scenically into place, but what were those dock workers up to? They had long poles with hooks on the end of them. They started to reach out and up towards the ship. There was a dozen of them. Sailors began to throw rope overboard onto the dock where dock workers caught it and started trying to wooden poles sticking up from the dock. Meanwhile, those with the hooked polls reached up and hooked onto the side of the ship to help guide it in. After a minute the ship was in place, the crew and dock workers securing it with rope and putting a boarding plank up.

That was rather interesting, and Vasin was getting someone invested when he heard a thud. It was directly behind him coming from the crates. Vasin casually rested his hand upon the handle of his blade and would saunter on over. He couldn't see anything but... THUD! Another sound and the crate shifted. Vasin squinted getting himself ready as he rounded the crates. One of the crates was in the process of being opened."Halt! Stop what you are doing!" Vasin ordered drawing his blade in one movement. Peering over the Crate was a pale-faced woman with piercing yellow eyes. Her hair grey and she looked at Vasin inquisitively and then in a panic. Wait for a second! That was the Seagul! They were a Kelvic!"Get away from there you!" Vasin said brandishing his sword as he came around to deal with them. The Seagul Kelvic pushed off from the dock and fell backward. The sound of a Splash but by the time he looked over the dock a Seagull flew out! They were gone and flying away.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 245
Words: 290681
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

New Place New Job (Job Thread)

Postby Vasin on June 13th, 2019, 1:23 am

Image
"That's right! Fly off ya thief! Don't come back!" Vasin said waving his sword around before sheathing it in the scabbard. He sighed hands on his hips and a shake of his head before looking over to the crate that they had broken into. There were bottled inside, supported by some sort of scaffolding? Wine! it was a shipment of high-quality wine perhaps? Vasin scratched his chin deciding it would be best for him to leave it be. Didn't look like they had managed to grab anything thankfully. So he squatted down, grabbed the crate lid, and propped it back up. He shoved it once and found it didn't take hold. So he did it again and gave it a pat. He would just to tell them when they arrived that there was a problem with the crate. Vasin didn't want to see a bunch of bottles fly out all over the docks after all. Plus he should have been more watchful in the first place. He had let boredom get the better of him and almost lost a portion of what he was guarding.

Going back around the crates now with a much more watchful eye Vasin began to look out and around. Arms crossed he sat himself down on the crate looking all over the place. Every Seagul was to be viewed with suspicion! Could be them all over again. So, his vision no longer lay on the way down this dock, but all around. At that moment he had learned that it was not going to be as easy as he had theorized. At least he didn't have to go chasing a Seagul for a bottle of Wine. That would have been rather embarrassing. Plus, he probably would not have done so well against someone who could just fly away. They must have been scouting him out, seeing what he was guarding. Maybe they already knew? Good thing he arrived as the stuff was being dropped off. It could have been rather bad had they been there alone with the crates.

The thoughts in his mind were halted when he caught a glimpse of a ship closing in. His neck craned as he adjusted his position he couldn't be very sure whether or not they were heading his way or not. So he sat and watched as the cargo vessel came in closer and closer. From where he sat now as it came in the vessel looked like it was coming right for him. Someone towards the front was waving flags. They were signaling their intent? He didn't know how to read flag signals. But within a moment he noticed dock workers coming in onto the dock area he was at. They had the poles and rope just as before. It was the same procedure, just a lot more close up now. The large vessel came in rather gracefully. Seemed his job was to come to an end rather soon. The ship settled into place as hooks were put onto it to pull it into place and ropes secured the vessel to the dock. A clank as the gangplank was put into place."All right, looks like the shipment is here boys! Let's get a move on!" a voice rang out from the deck of the ship. Vasin tried to get a look at who it was but couldn't see as the sailors funneled out. Vasin would hop off the crate as the sailors got to work, his job done as they loaded the cargo."Careful with that one, the side on it is loose!" Vasin warned as they went to the crate that the Kelvic had broken into.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 245
Words: 290681
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests