Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:39 am

Image
Timestamp: 6th of Summer, 519 A.V.

Vasin rolled his shoulders and cracked his knuckles as he stood at the center of the clearing he had made. The space empty with exposed dirt with some slight amounts of what could be described as cratering from both his work with a hoe and his work at removing stumps. But, that wasn't so much an issue as now nothing was really in the way of their plans to build a manor here. There were however a few more things to get done before this place was truly cleared. Vasin glanced back seeing the cart trail he made to the beach. He had done that on a previous day, and it had been relatively easy. But, for today he was going to be something much more difficult in scope. It would be a lot more like his first two days of clearing land. Though, looking all around him the amount of time this would take was going to take much longer. This project, it was for clearing about five acres of land so they work it into the land that can be used for food. Vasin didn't really know a thing about farming or gardening, so he was going to stick to the most straight forward thing, He was just going to clear it and let the farmers and gardeners then work it. Vasin breathed in the fresh wild air which filled his lungs warmly. It was going to be another hot day, which wasn't very good news for working like this, but he had to get some of it done.

Now the question was... what end to start on? He looked around himself and scratched his head. Well, it didn't really matter all that much did it? So, he went to the left end of the area he had cleared."Yeah, we can start right here." Vasin would say mainly to himself as he brought out the hatchet. He examined the tool for a moment running his finger along the blade, though not on the edge. He thought about the tool for a moment before giving a slight shrug, it was fine, and could still do plenty of work. He hadn't been using it for chopping down trees after all, and it was a robust thing. So, Vasin got to work finding as usually a grouping of a woody brush. This particular grouping of the stuff was rather thick and gnarly. It was kind of awkward to work at as he reached under and grabbed a small bush by the stalk. Then, bringing his hatchet back a little way, though at a slightly weird angle and with not much room to spare, he swung it a short way. Chipping into the sturdy bush stock he wiggled the blade free and then did so again. This time, the hatchet cut deeper and the bush began to sway more and more. Eventually, he chopped it free and pulled the bush up and out of there putting it to the side.

Arms covered in the dirt he moved onto the next plant which stood tall from the forest floor. A small tree of some kind? It was in the way and it had to go, but its small trunk was much thicker then the bush he had just dealt with. So, kneeling next to the small tree he brought his arm back storing some energy and then swung it forward! His arm reverberating a little as the hatchet got buried into the small trunk of this young tree. Yanking the hatchet free he chopped at it again with the hatchet. Taking more than three swings to chip away at it. On the eighth swing, he managed to cut through and it fell over. This green wood had been particularly difficult to whack his way through. But, all the same, he picked it up and put it into the now growing pile. After that he went tend to the smaller woody plants, chopping away at them rather relentlessly. These smaller ones took anywhere from one to three chops to take out. Leaving behind tiny stumps that he could hoe out at a later point. After taking out this grouping he would move onto the next going from grouping to grouping taking out small pockets in between. In each case, he would go to his hands and knees before grabbing a hold of the stalk/trunk and then lift up as he chopped at it. He would try to chop as close to the ground as possible. Each time he chopped one and got it free he would go and put it into the woodpile he was making. The brush made for good firewood as he had correctly figured. Though the green stuff needed to be left out to dry a little.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:40 am

Image
As Vasin was finishing with those plants and was about to move on to grab the Hoe something caught his eye. He paused, at first thinking, he must have missed some sort of small tree sticking up out of the ground. But then, he took another more concentrated look at it, both his eyes on it. Was... was that an arm? Indeed! An arm was sticking up out of the ground. A closed fist, but motionless. Its skin was cracked, rocks embedded into it, and Vasin cautiously approached, his hand on his Long Swords handle. This seemed kind of familiar, and then suddenly when the hand opened and then suddenly, another one erupted from the ground! Both frantically struggling, a muffled shriek could be heard emanating from the ground itself. The memory came back to him, back when he was in the tunnel under Sunberth when he encountered a large group of them. Back then, his armor and the width of the tunnel had saved him. The creatures were relentless. But this time... he was out in the open without armor. Vasin drew his sword and pointed it at the hand. His left hand latching onto the blade, his stance leaning forward, legs bent. He was preparing for thrust and slowly crept forward as the Yukman began to dig itself out from the ground.

Angling himself correctly Vasin stood in front of where the Yukman was emerging, his sword angled at it, his legs ready and tensed. Breathing out Vasin saw as it's loudly shrieking head emerged from the ground leaves pushed aside, plants uprooted. It stared up at him shrieking and at that moment Vasin struck! He lunged forward pushing his sword in through the eye with a powerful thrust. The blade entering in through the eye stabbing hard into the head. Vasin used his weight, the pointed tip of the sword piercing the skull and out the back. Its shrieks stopped and Vasin placed his foot on its shoulder for leverage as he pulled his sword out from the now-dead Yukman. Vasin stared at the dead monster, glad he had caught it as it was emerging from the ground. Was that where they came from? The ground itself? If so... that explained why their presence in the tunnels. However, this thought process was interrupted as a dull muffled sound caught his attention. He glanced around himself quickly. he could hear more muffled by dirt shrieks. Then he saw it, mounds of moving dirt bulging up... he counted... nine? Yes, nine! He saw nine of them trying to emerge now! He had to act quickly as he saw another one's hands emerge from the ground and started to dig itself free.

These things were violent, dangerous, he had to get rid of them, so he ran over to the one that was now digging itself out from the ground. It's cracked pitted skin covered in dirt as he got ready to thrust into its head upon emerging. A forward and angled stance, ready to spring a thrust upon the Yukman. Blade pointed at the spot next to the hand where he believed it would have its head emerge. His muscled tensed like springs as he stood there, eyes focused and after a minute, it began to emerge shrieking to the world. The first thing and last thing it would see was Vasin thrusting his sword right at its head. Vasin let his weight aid in the thrust as the pointed tip of the blade entered between its eyes puncturing through bone. Arms extended and blade held steady by his other hand it pierced rather cleanly through the brain but didn't have the exact force needed to penetrate all the way this time. The creature went limp within a moment though the world was not silent as more of the Yukmen grew closer to the surface. One had already managed to dig itself out to the neck, as Vasin ran over and would quickly swipe at it barely a moment to pause. His sword swing chopping into the left side of the Monster's head becoming stuck halfway due to the rushed nature of his swing. It stopped moving and screeching all the same.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:40 am

Image
Vasin yanked his sword from the creature noticing another nearby that had also freed itself up to the neck. Vasin sprinted over, his legs pumping as hard as he could. Burning with the pressure of the situation as he quickly breathed in and out. Coming to a stuttering stop and positioned himself though stepped back as it tried to take a swipe at him. A forward spring-like stance, knees bent enough for power he drew his sword back. Then, he pushed forward extending his sword and arm and practically leaping forward. His blade thrust right through the middle of its head and out through the back. These things were a lot easier to deal with one by one when they were also stationary. Pulling his sword free Vasin so far had killed four of these Yukmen emerging from the ground. There had been ten in total, which meant he had another six to deal with and a quick look around confirmed this. Though two of them seemed to be having trouble getting out of the ground at all. However, one was already up to its chest and was trying to pull itself free of the ground.

Vasin would rush over and pause just as the creature suddenly took a swipe at him. It shrieked loudly in his direction, the shriek rumbling his eardrum. But, he took position knowing he had to deal with it before it could pop itself from the ground. He took up his stand, knees bent slightly, his legs storing up energy in a forward way. His left hand on the blade his sword and he aimed the tip at its chest. Where the heart would be on a human. That was a much more stationary target than the head at this point as the Yukman was thrashing about. He sprung forward and felt some resistance, but ran the monster through regardless. His momentum carried him forward as he brought his sword all the way to the hilt. Then, steadying himself, Vasin kicking the Yukman off pulling his sword out. 'Five more...' he thought to himself as he looked over only to see one having completely freed itself with the others on their way to doing so as well. Though it ran by his pile of wood and paused. It looked at him... or rather it looked at his sword and picked out a young tree he had chopped down."Oh no... not this again..."

Had this Yukman been watching him with the sword? Well, it took up his thrusting stance almost exactly if not a little sloppily. It learned by watching, just like those two he had encountered in the tunnel."You think yourself a swordsman eh? Well then? Come on!" Vasin challenged pounding his chest with his left hand. His blood was well and truly pumping as the Yukman shrieked as if in reply. Though maybe he was just assigning a trait to it that didn't exist. Regardless, they squared off. Vasin taking a hold of the blade of his longsword with the left hand, raising it to chest level. The blade pointed directly at the Yukman as he approached. Vasin kept his feet spring-like, not wanting a flat foot, wanting to have energy at a moment's notice to move. The Yukman did much the same adjusting it's stance as it approached in return. It was copying his movements on the go and slowly Vasin began to circle around it and the Yukman did the same though obviously not understanding the purpose of this. Vasin was looking for an opening.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:41 am

Image
Vasin was sizing the Yukman up, it handled that small tree with ease. It would be more like a polearm, but it intended to use it as a sword to counter Vasin? Interesting... what if he... Vasin lowered the hilt of the blade/handle of it to his waist while keeping the tip angled and pointed up at the chest. The Yukman copied his movement exactly which was a bit frustrating. It was harder to hit when the swords were in the same position. But then Vasin realized something, this was no man, it was a monster. He paused and began to turn in place. He adjusting his position exposing his armpit and back. his sword just a little above his waist as he had been trained. His eyes locked on this monster as it at first would try and copy his movement but then stopped with a shriek. Bingo! This was an exposed weakness, an invitation to strike. A Monster would not think twice about striking at a presented weak spot. That was what it did, rushing forward with it's lowered guard bounding forward. Tip pointing up at Vasin's exposed armpit.

Damn! He was fast and it was on him in an instant. Quickly Vasin turned in place with a step. He raised his sword and pushed suddenly and violently as hard as he could. His blade ran along the trunk of the small tree catching on a small branch. The tree was pushed to the side and Vasin then made his next move. Vasin finished his turn and the thrown off-balance and confused Yukman stumbled back. Its momentum threw off as Vasin then sprung forward pushing off with his legs having fully turned into position. Blade pointed upwards he thrust with the aid of his legs and arms. Guided by his left hand the tip entered up into the neck into the base of the skull. There Vasin shoved deeper before giving it a shoulder check close it. The monster had let out its last shriek and went limp. On a less cookie-cutter opponent, one that wasn't learning as it went, that may not have worked. Vasin knew it would have been faster to do a pommel strike than to get into a forward position. But, Vasin had guessed it wouldn't know how to do counters or reversals, so his bet paid off.

Sword pulled from the dead monster that made six of them slain, and left only... four. He turned to look at the one that had been put to its chest in the dirt. It was now pulling itself up out of the ground and was immediately after him. It stumbled at first in its rush to come and kill him, but it then full sprint ran to him. Its eyes locked on Vasin as it released a terrible yell which grew louder and louder as it approached. Vasin braced himself sword pointed at the creature. The tip angled upwards with the handle down by his waist. His left hand steadying the blade-like one might with a pike as he waited for the creature to come at him. Closer... closer... and then just as Vasin was ready to thrust and put an end to it, it leaped! Legs first onto the ground it barreled into Vasin taking his legs out from under him. The ground is taken from beneath him Vasin fell to the ground face first. Though, quickly he began to try and scramble up only to find the creature upon him once more!
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:42 am

Image
It was well within his striking arc and would rear back with a closed fist for a punch. It obviously didn't think Vasin had the room necessary for a swing or a stab. However, Vasin had other methods at his disposal as he would with both hands bring his sword up. Vasin side stepped power punch barely whizzing by his head as he then sort of punched forward himself, but more with the pommel of his sword. The pommel knocked right into the temple of the Yukman and then Vasin gave it a body shove. The dazed Yukman stumbled back and fell over onto the forest floor. A sweaty Vasin planted a foot onto its chest and then finished it off with a thrust to the chest. It struggled for a moment, but those better off and it went still. 'Three more.' Vasin thought to himself as he turned to see another was in the process of lifting itself out of its hole. To which, he approached raising his sword up in a high guard and then brought it down intending to cleave into its head. Surprisingly, the Yukman reached up trying to catch the blade. All this gruesomely did was deflect Vasin's blade off into its shoulder. It shrieked out and tried to lift itself up out of the ground on more time.

Vasin stepped back and then stepped forward with a kick to the jaw to try and daze it. It fell backward, it back bent in an arch to which Vasin then took full advantage. Bringing his sword back and thrust it down into the chest. He thrust it about halfway in before pulling out. The creature breathing now more in its awkward death pose. That just left two, which were the ones that had been struggling to emerge. He looked over at them, they were emerging from the ground at around the same time. Eyes locked on him as they would come out and both rush over. But, curiously, neither of them got within sword-swinging distance of them. Maybe they had caught a glimpse? Seen the bodies? Vasin could not be certain as they began to circle around him. Shrieking at him wanting nothing more than to tear him limb from limb. Vasin warded one of them off with a thrust of his blade threateningly. Then he heard footsteps behind himself and quickly turned. Thrusting the blade forward before he could think. Stabbing the creature right through the neck and then slashing to the side nearly decapitating it.

The other seeing it's chance rammed into Vasin causing him to stumble forward. But, Vasin caught his footing and turned around only to see it upon him one more. He didn't have time to raise his blade, so he kept it at waist level and thrust right into the belly powerfully. It didn't stop the creature which ran itself through all the way to the hilt latching onto Vasin. To which, Vasin reached back and grabbed his throwing axe. Raising it up he brought it down like a hatchet and buried it deeply into the head of the shrieking in his face Yukman. After a moment it fell off to the side its death grip softening. Vasin breathed out the silence of the forest all around him as well as the bodies. He knelt down next to the Yukman he had just slain and rested himself for the moment. Had they emerged all at once... he would have been done for. Vasin shook his head before pulling his sword out of the creature. He wiped it's greasy blood off before placing it back in his scabbard."Well then..." Vasin managed to say as he realized now the Yukmen were a part of what he needed to clear out, or more accurately, their bodies.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:42 am

Image
Vasin would start by getting a drink of water from his waterskin and then moving onto dragging the bodies on the surface to a pile next to where he was stacking the brush. He dragged them by the arms or legs and plopped them down in a pile. Next, he grabbed his shovel and would go to each of the ones partially stuck in the ground. Digging into the dirt around them he would dig the earth out from around them. Scooping up dirt and tossing it to the side. It took some digging, but eventually, he would get enough off the Yukmen so he could kneel down and then drag them out of their hole. From there he would drag them over to the pile he was making. After he had finished Vasin dusted his hands, and despite this encounter, he still had to clear this land. That is why next he put down his shovel and picked up his hoe. Even after that encounter, the world would go on and he couldn't afford the lost time of spending the day taking a break.

Intent on clearing this next acre he got to it as he began to attack the soft brush that was left on the ground. Hoeing up foliage and roots as he went. Pushing them over to a pile he was making. There were a few piles of brush and other clutter around, he would have to take care of them at some point Vasin realized. Ah well, he could do that last he figured as he kept at hoeing. Digging into the dirt with a downward motion and then pulling back and up. He did so over and over ripping up through the earth bellow exposing the soil underneath. Though this was only in small pockets, specifically where ever he removed a plant. He also came to start removing the stumps of the woody plants he had chopped away at earlier. This area didn't seem as dense as the main area he had cleared the other day. So, it was a little faster going. Though, going back and forth dropping off the plants he had hoed up took some time. He was really working up a sweat, his fight earlier has not helped that.

Sweeping the whole acre of brush took some time, it had too, otherwise, he knew he would do a poor job. He wanted to make sure this stuff didn't sprout up later at an inconvenient moment after all. So he was going at this hard with strength. Up and back, up and back, that was the motion he was growing accustomed to. The sun peeking through the canopy above, bearing down on him in the gaps of trees. Exposing patches of dirt as he did so he could feel his clothes grow damp with his sweat, something he realized was inevitable when working, especially out in this heat. This is why he kept drinking away in small spots but didn't take that much in the way of a break. He wasn't going to until this portion of the job was done. So, after a little while longer and dealing with a particularly large weed he dropped it off having finished clearing out the brush.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:43 am

Image
After finishing with the brush and getting into a pile next to the woody type stuff he sat down his hoe and leaned up against a tree. Taking a break for something like thirty minutes he would eat lunch prepared from rations and drink a good amount of water. Making sure to refresh himself and gain some energy back from the work he had just done. Though as a breeze came through it was of little help, being rather warm. Then, after he had finished taking his break Vasin would get up and grab a rake. It was time to clear out all that loose stuff and dry leaves. It cushioned the forest floor but hid the stuff that could get in the way. Plus, it was better to work on bare dirt he figured. Walking to the edge of the area he had clear Vasin would get into position, lining himself up, and would then extending the rake out and down. From there he pulled back in a raking motion. One after another he raked, stepping back with each motion he did.

The dry stuff was light and easy to rake at first, but with each motion, he got a little more resistance. When it became too much he would sweep that pile to the side to later move into a large central pile. Going up and down in bands along the area he had been clearing the edges of the place would have piles of leaves. He decided it was easier to do it this way, going strip by strip instead of circling out. Less of a central pile to move out of the way. or rather, he wouldn't have to move it over the area he had cleared. It was a repetitive motion to be sure, and he was feeling it in his back and arms. He was working his muscles rather well all over with all this stuff he had been doing. Pushing on was better than giving up as well he figured. That is why he wasn't going to stop raking until the job was done either. At the halfway point he felt time go on and on with each motion of the rake.

In the latter half of raking this acre, he found there were only a few trees that were really in the way. Raking around them he considered whether or not he could get them today. Maybe a few... yeah, he could get four or five of them today without a doubt. Less work tomorrow for the rest of them. That is what he thought as he raked around one gradually pulling the leaves around the base of a 12" oak tree. Though eventually, he finished raking the acre of land. Wiping the sweat from he brow he would then tend to the side piles he had gathered. Gradually, with some effort moving them to a large main pile at one end of the area. This took just about at length with the back and forth trips. Even then, he eventually got that done though noticed the sun was starting to set. It would seem he miscalculated the amount of time it would take to finish raking the leaves. Though actually... Maybe he had a good hour of sunlight left? Vasin would try and get some of the trees knocked down.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Clearing for home IV (Empyreal Demesne)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:46 am

Image
Before that, though Vasin would take a shorter fifteen-minute break wolfing down some trail food and then washing it down with some water. he wanted to gain some energy back before tackling even a single tree. Then, when he had finished Vasin grabbed his axe and would go to the first oak tree he saw sizing it up. Looking around the tree he decided where he would want it to fall, not wanting it to crash into any of the other trees. Then, he stood on that side and put his axe to the trunk to line up his chops. From there he pulled back bringing the axe horizontally to his side. Rearing up for a nice strong swing. Then he unleashed it, swinging it forward and embedding the axe head into the tree. It smacked in with a large chop sound that echoed throughout the area. His arms felt the force feedback of what he did and then he yanked it out before then slamming it back in again. Slowly but surely he began to chop a wedge into the tree. At multiple points during this process, he adjusted his grip to try and get more leverage out of his swings.

Experimenting with his swings he eventually got his groove on and was well into chopping a wedge out of the tree. Eventually, after some work at it, he decided that would be enough. The wedge was well into the tree and so he walked over to the other side. Lining his axe up rather quickly he brought it back and then swung at it. Chopping into it the axe blade bit into the wood before Vasin pulled back and out. Swinging again he cut a channel into the tree towards the wedge he had cut into it. His hands a little sweaty the ax handle had become a tad sticky and warm. He breathed consistently sweat dripped from his nose. This was a workout with rather clear results. Those clear results being the tree. Eventually, however, he began to hear the tree creak and groan under the stress at the now weakened portion of its trunk. It was almost ready to fall over and so Vasin gave it one more heavy chop before pulling back.

The tree creaked, groaned, and a sound of snapping could be heard. Then, it broke with a large snap as it leaned and then fell crashing to the forest floor. How long had that taken? It was considerably darker out now. The sun seemed to be just about to disappear over the horizon. Well, at least he had managed to get one tree in before the day ended. That was better then none he figured. So, grabbing his tools and taking a drink of water Vasin went back to the beach camp. Though as he went he passed by the bodies recalling something he needed to do. Vasin gathered up a pile of woody brush and began to stack the bodies ontop of it. Then he put some brush ontop of that as well as dry leaves. There he grabbed his flint and steel which he would strike against one another. Over and over until he got a sizeable spark and what he had gathered lit ablaze. The brush pile and the bodies were soon in a blaze in the middle of the area he had cleared. They wouldn't be seeding the ground again. Then, he would go to the beach. There he would sleep the night away in preparation for clearing out the trees the next. He was making some serious progress and today had netted another six days worth of firewood from the forest floor. The stuff would be useful for sure as they stayed out here.
User avatar
Vasin
Player
 
Posts: 248
Words: 290833
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests