The Light of the Fireflies (Sama'el)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Postby Jilitse on February 20th, 2011, 2:37 pm

The Light of the Fireflies
66th of Winter 510 AV
Near Endrykas
Tomorrow, we leave camp.
This travel thread was continued from here.

ImageIt was the caravan's final stop. For Jasa'lah and Jilitse, it was their last camp before they broke from the caravan and traveled their own path. Aslode, the Drykas guide, was out scouting. The group was smaller than they had originally started, a number of merchant travelers had already dropped themselves near Claridon. The few who were left were warrior-types, and though not all of them were Drykas, all of them were seasoned travelers. Some of them were bound for Riverfall, most of them were returning to their Drykas tents.

Speaking of tents, the ones in camp were built close to each other, with a few brambles built around the camp to scare away small animals. Torches stood around the perimeter, serving as beacons of light in Leth's dim embrace. Jilitse watched everything with slight disinterest. Jasa'lah was the one tasked in lighting tonight's campfire. The Nuit and Benshira did not hit it off right when they met, and the awkwardness stayed even until now... but there was something in them that brought them together. Like a dancing partner. They did not team up properly, at least not yet, but there were a few things that made it possible for them to be partners. Compatibility was still an unknown variable in their equation.

While dinner was being prepared on one side of the camp, the night was getting darker and colder: Morwen's breath cooling the Sea of Grass. Murmurs were being shared among companions, small talk and idle discussions.

As Aslode returned with his Cyphrus Strider, he brought news that the camp may have a few visitors. Nobody questioned how he knew, though Jilitse had long wondered about the Drykas' Webs. She had overheard Aslode talking to another Drykas about the web, picking out words such as "safe from intruders", "news from home", or "passed by a fortnight ago". She had memorized their words and turned them around when she was alone, trying to learn about Webbing with what she occasionally catched in the wind. Her Benshira companion had mentioned that Webbing was a skill privy to Drykas Pavillons, but Aslode may be approached if she wanted to know a little bit more. However, the Nuit was too private to approach any of the members of the caravan, she only talked with Jasa'lah - and Aslode occasionally - but never did mingle among the others, nor did ask about the sacred Drykas skill. Tonight, however, as Jasa'lah prepared the camp fire... the wind's direction might change.

Everybody agreed that passers-by should be welcome, and should a weary traveler seek temporary refuge, there were always space to accommodate the needy. And it was not long before the first adventurer dropped by... Jilitse was humming an old tune, and Jasa'lah occasionally glanced her way as he stoked the camp fire.
Last edited by Jilitse on March 10th, 2011, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

The Light of the Fireflies (Open)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on February 20th, 2011, 9:34 pm

It was fortunate that Sama'el had not been all that far away or he might never have noticed their passing on the Web. He was an apprentice yet, and his range was not all that impressive as Web Mages went, but magic was new to him and he delighted in it. All the same, he was strict with himself, not pushing his limits too far, not wanting to disappear on the Web, leaving the shell of his body behind with his dreams for a Pavilion of his own. But the caravan route was fairly regular that passed Claridon, and he was riding circuit like a good initiate in the Watch, so he knew where to look and it was not difficult for him to run across Aslode in the field. They conferred, and he was given time to reinforce the Web hereabouts before finding the caravan's camp.

The clop of Dohaina's hooves was mostly eaten up by the natural symphony of the Sea of Grass, but he whistled a signal any Drykas would recognize when he was near enough, and called ahead as he approached so as not to startle anyone overmuch. After all, this was a solo venture for him, and the only blade he could count on was his own, and Aslode's, perhaps. Not that he anticipated trouble, but he was prepared to face it in defense of his people and their lands.

"Ho, caravan!" he called, expecting Aslode, at least, to greet him. It sounded like an interesting group, though if he noticed any Leeching of the local Web, he would have to spill blood.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jilitse on March 10th, 2011, 4:40 pm

The Drykas guide welcomed Sama'el into camp. (OOC: Feel free to use Mr. random guide, I know little about Drykas.) There were warm greetings, especially from fellow Drykas. When the people thinned out, some merely checking the commotion and were relieved to find that it was just another human and not danger, a Benshiran waved at him from afar, "Welcome, my friend," he shouted to be heard, "Come sit by the fire. The others are preparing the evening meal." True enough, from a distance were designated places for horses, and near it was a campfire used for cooking.

Jasa'lah welcomed him again as he came over, "My name is Jasa'lah, from the tents of Rahail, sons of Eliada."

This was the first time Jilitse has ever heard Jasa'lah introduce himself in his full name, so she let her presence known, "...tents of Rahail, sons of Eliada?" She was sitting on a nearby log, a good distance away from the fire, though close enough to keep warm, "This is the first time I have heard you address yourself as such."

Jasa'lah gave her a knowing smile. "But Jilitse, now is not the time for trivial questions, we have a guest. Drykas, I presume?"

Jilitse stood and nodded her head to pay respect to Sama'el, "Jilitse of Sahova." As soon as she told the Drykas her name, she returned to her seat.

"Jilitse here has finally agreed to tell her story to the caravan." The Benshiran pointed at her, "She is undead you see."

"Thank you for stating the obvious," the Nuit remarked.

"But we have been traveling with her for many days, and she had kept to herself for the last... 60? How many days has it been?"

"68 days." Jilitse lazily answered.

"Not everyday you find a Nuit, huh?"
Jasa'lah didn't mean to sound disrespectful, but he realized how it may have sounded to the stranger, "I am accompanying her to Yahebah." He explained, "She hired me as a companion, we met in Syliras."

"How about you?"
Jilitse asked, "what brings you out here, and alone at that? I thought the Sea of Grass must be never be braved alone, especially at night."
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 11th, 2011, 8:30 am

Welcomed first by Aslode and then the Benshira, Sama'el greeted the lot of them from his feet, sliding from Dohaina's yvas with enviable grace. If there was one thing he was good at, it was horses, one place he was comfortable, on horseback. On his feet, he was merely a whipcord warrior, young, with an open face. His dark hair was growing longer, and his vaguely almond shaped eyes were watchful, but friendly. His golden mare was a beauty, and she stood by without needing a word from him as he made the acquaintance of Aslode's group. They would remain "Aslode's group" in his mind even as they named themselves, or even a bit of their family line.

"I am Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan," he said, "and I thank you for the hospitality of your fire."

Quickly removing her yvas and saddlebags and slinging them over his shoulder, he chirped and murmured a few words in Pavi to the Strider, whose ears swiveled toward his voice. She trotted off a bit to crop at the grass, but kept close by.

"Well met, Jasa'lah, Jilitse." He spoke the names slowly in order to pronounce them as best he could, though both were strange to him. Soft brown eyes rested thoughtfully upon the Nuit when her unlife was touched upon; such creatures were well versed in the Mysteries, they said, else they would not have learned to borrow bodies.

Seated by their fire, he listened to them speak and watched their interactions.

"I am with the Watch," he informed her, though only Aslode would be able to read the telltale signs that identified him as such. "We patrol the Sea of Grass by day and by night. It is dangerous," he allowed, "but necessary for the safety of the horseclans. Few things can outrun a Strider."

Aslode had told him enough to agree with the facts Sama'el observed. Their trajectory took them toward Eyktol. So long as nobody was breaking Drykas law, all would be well, and Aslode was vouching for them.

He smiled.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on March 13th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Jasa'lah repeated to Jilitse, "The Watch is a group of Drykas who patrols the Sea of Grass. I have heard that Aslode's father is a member, and soon so shall he." And he praised Dohaina, "Your strider is very beautiful." To Jilitse he said, "Aslode's mount is also a Cyphrus Strider, the best horse here in the Sea of Grass. I am a stranger to their history, but certain breeds are fit for certain terrains."

Jilitse threw a piercing stare towards Dohaina's way, before resting her unblinking eyes at Sama'el and told him, "Jasa'lah is convinced that I should not have brought my Mountain Pony along." With his back to Jilitse, Jasa'lah mouthed a message to Sama'el, "That's what she named her horse." Hinting that it might be a sensitive topic for the Nuit.

However, Jilitse had been quite observant enough of the context in Jasa'lah's words earlier. "Do not bother, Jasa'lah. I know full well that MP," Her abbreviation of the horse's name, "is not exactly fit to travel from Sylira to Eyktol," her voice was nonchalant, though even Jasa'lah knew that Jilitse placed great value in the mare. "She was given to me by a friend," and she revealed in those words the importance she placed on MP. Even the undead knew how to put value into things that have life, it seemed.

"The horse is sturdy, holds herself up proper," she said, "Though I would say I know nothing of horses until the day she was given to me. She'd proven her mettle so far." The Nuit said, "But we're barely halfway our travel. I hope she finds her strength."

Jilitse's openness surprised Jasa'lah. He gave her a questioning stare, which she shrugged away, "If I'm to tell a story to strangers, I might as well start practicing talking to people." A private joke, between the two of them, though not really the funny kind.

Still, they were an odd couple. Jasa'lah was warm towards Sama'el, knowing that he was Drykas and a member of the Watch. Jilitse noticed that Jasa'lah was like that among other people, open and trusting - his best trait, yet also his greatest weakness. "We are just waiting for supper," the Benshiran told him, "The caravan makes us pay to join, but food and security is taken care of. Come, my friend, I think the roasted chickens are more than ready." The smell had been lingering in the air, someone in the group was a good cook.

Jasa'lah enjoined Sama'el to get food, leaving the Nuit behind. She just stared as they went away. Jilitse always felt out-of-place whenever the pulsers needed to eat, as it was a kind of social activity that she could not join, and would not join even if invited to. Not that it mattered much to her, being alone was always appreciated. The other thing she appreciated was the warmth of the camp fire, it fought away the cold of the night.

The first to come was an elderly woman, though not frail and helpless, and her granddaughter. They were not Drykas, but they were traveling to Endrykas. "I heard that you were going to tell a story. I am Merliam, and this is my granddaughter, Luperil. We always join Aslode's caravan whenever we travel to Endrykas. Luperil's mother is of the Opal Clan." The old lady introduced themselves. Jilitse nodded at them, forcing a smile, "My name is Jilitse and I hail from Sahova. Thank you." It was odd being approached by people, and friendly people at that. Luperil was a little more circumspect about the Nuit, though polite, "I hope you appreciate the company, you have always been so aloof." And they made themselves comfortable on a nearby seat that Jasa'lah himself had arranged, and went on to eat. They returned Jilitse's smile and exchanged glances.

Another man, a Drykas, came. He was carrying a mug of ale, and seemed to be finished with his food. He did not bother to introduce himself, but raised a the mug to Jilitse, who nodded back at him. Three was already a big crowd, Jilitse thought, though if she counted Jasa'lah and Sama'el, that made it five. Aslode gave word that he will come by, and that would mean six. She straightened herself and sighed. This was not her first time in a crowd, but this will be the first time she will be addressing a crowd. The thought of having everyone's attention knotted her rotting innards.

Soon Jasa'lah returned, face content. Sama'el may or may not have come abck with him. He moved his way through the camp and sat right next to Jilitse, giving the Nuit a big smile and a pat in the back for a consolation.

And then arrived a woman with a bandaged arm, with a young man assisting her. It seemed as if they were the guest of honor in this gathering, seeing as a few stood up to welcome their arrival. Her name was Ipoeta, of Drykas descent. Jasa'lah waited until everybody was seated. Some were still having their meal, but most were already finished and ready to listen. There were 7 of them all in all, not including Jilitse. A big crowd, considering that there were less than twenty in the caravan. Not everybody wanted to hear the Nuit's tale, and some others needed to keep watch.

"Are we all settled?" Jasa'lah asked. Seeing as nobody interrupted, he continued, "We are gathered here tonight to finally meet my lady companion, Jilitse of Sahova. She had been with us since Syliras, but no one among us, even I, truly know her. She may have been a mystery to us, but her help from the day previous did not escape our attention." He was a little serious, his mirth wiped off his face. "I hope that your presence here today confirms what I have told you before, that not all undead are the horrible creatures we know from tales and legends."

Jilitse nudged Jasa'lah a little, the man was getting too showy. "Please, do not be so formal." Jilitse awkwardly said, "But it is my pleasure to meet everyone, including our visitor."

A few people returned the gratitude, and the ice slowly melted away. The woman with the bandaged arm was the next to speak, "From my heart, and from my family, we thank you sincerely Jilitse. Your help was precious. I think I can say that everybody is thankful for your presence. I am glad Aslode had decided to let you come with us, else I wouldn't know what would have happened to me." You'd be dead, Jilitse mused to herself, but she knew enough manners not to voice out rudeness.

The story, Sama'el would later know as someone recounted a version of the story to him, was that there was a minor attack on the caravan. It was a group of slavers led by a Zith, who had feral dogs with them. It was manageable, not so much of a threat that the warriors in the caravan could not handle, but a minor slip at coordination caused the Zith leader to find an opening and nab Ipoeta. She was poisoned, her arm broken before Jasa'lah himself delivered a killing blow at the Zith with his khopesh. It was by good chance that there was a healer in the group, though not marked by Rak'keli, she had enough skill to determine the poison used upon Ipoeta, and create a tourniquet for the Ipoeta's broken arm. She will be properly seen to once they get home.

Jilitse found an opening to begin her story after that, "I was not much of help, but I did what I could," she rubbed her right hand, "it was as if something tugged at me." She was serious, not really caring if Ipoeta would be taken aback if she learned that the Nuit did not have original intentions to help.

"Jasa'lah was at my side when it happened," she said, "he fought off one of the dogs on his own." She looked his way, and this made him shy. "I had nothing to defend myself with. I may be a mage, but I do not have the kind of magic that is used for offense. Nor defense." She shrugged, not really revealing her kind of magic. "And then when I turned around, the Zith was diving, and I collapsed in tension and fear. I was caught by a wing, and it flapped on me, delivering me to land flat on the ground. It was then when I turned my head, I saw that he caught Ipoeta's arm. And then the next thing I saw was the Benshiran weapon slicing through the air. What do you call it again?" Jilitse asked Jasa'lah, who was getting squirmy for being tagged as a hero. "A khopesh? A khopesh and he cut one wing and stabbed the Zith more than a few times."

Ipoeta looked terribly affected, but she had a steely resolve in her eyes, determined to get through the story. Jasa'lah then told his part of the tale, "I sound too much of a hero in your tale, but the truth is, without the light in your hand," and Jasa'lah reached for her right hand, rubbing it gently, "I would not have found the courage I needed to fight off the beast. So it's all thanks to you."

"How did it happen again?" Ipoeta asked, "Can you tell me... how it works?"

"Well if I must be honest," Jilitse laughed lightly, "Jasa'lah and I both cowered when the attack came. For some reason, even if I knew that the caravan was well-equipped, that we had men ready. I still... feared death." She talked slowly, but clearly, hoping to deliver her message, "Even if I'm Nuit, I still fear death. Yes, I do." She reaffirmed herself, "Perhaps in that moment of cowardness, I remembered Priskil. She... saved me from death once."

The statement elicited reaction among the crowd, some approved, and some became more curious of their Nuit companion. How exactly do you save an undead from death? "And when I remembered her, I think I found a little bit of hope. In that moment I think I shouted her name in my head, prayed even. And then I reached out for Jasa'lah," he placed her hand with Priskil's mark on his shoulder, "And I said, 'Help us!' That's what I said." She reenacted the manner in which she cried it out, and the others found it really forceful and strong. Even Aslode gave a big grin when he heard Jilitse, the Nuit had spunk in her.

"And good timing too, because a dog was running towards us." Jasa'lah smiled, "It was kind of powerful. I've never seen a gnosis from the Gods before. But even if it was just very brief, I... I felt like a man." He laughed heartily, and a few others joined. As the camp fire crackled, he continued, "There isn't really a good way to say that, but suddenly I just felt less... scared. I wouldn't say I felt really really courageous, but for a moment I felt bold, and became a hero for ten-chimes."

"For which I am really very grateful."
Ipoeta declared.

(OOC: Feel free to erm, use Jasa'lah, talk to him when you get food, have conversations with the people, chat and gossip around the fire...)
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 13th, 2011, 11:03 pm

"A Cyphrus Strider is surely the greatest horse upon the plains, but when I roamed Sylira and Taldera, I rode a Windrunner stallion and he can outrun a Strider so long as its not within the bounds of Cyphrus." He chuckled indulgently, proud of his old stallion, even if he couldn't compete with the native horses of the Drykas, who were the gifts of Semele and Zulrav. "I'm sure Mountain Pony will see you into Eyktol," he added with the certainty of youth. She had Drykas guides, after all.

He nodded to Jilitse before Jasa'lah took him off to feed him, and since he and the Benshira had quite similar dispositions, they got on famously. It was nice to have the Drykas members of the caravan treat him with such respect despite his tender years. But the Watch was the Watch, and everyone respected the Sayaph among the horseclans. If Sama'el had his seal of approval, then few would second guess him.

The chicken was a nice change from travel rations, and he ate enough to keep him strong, but not so much that he would grow turgid from too much sitting on his stomach. Though the people were nice enough, he was riding circuit, not enjoying a festival. That said, when Jasa'lah brought him back and bade him sit and listen to the storytelling, so even if he was there on business, it seemed there was a bit of a festival going on anyway.

His eyes paid close attention to the injured girl and the way the small community moved around her, then listened intently to Jilitse's story and Jasa'lah's accompaniment. All this must needs be relayed to his superiors in Endrykas. Zith incursions were serious business and when Spring came, Endrykas would be close to Claridon and close to the Zith as well.

A smile cracked his face when Jilitse's relationship with Priskil proved the lynch pin for the success of the caravan's defense. Nobody marked by that goddess could be evil, he felt, and he had often prayed to Her when he had been a slave in Lisnar and Sunberth. When the story was over, he mingled with the caravan's members, hearing versions and versions of what had happened, and he tried to filter it down to the bare facts, the which he could report.

Eventually he found himself standing next to Jasa'lah and Jilitse.

"You are blessed," he said, captain obvious, but it was a start. "The Zith may be bolder as Winter becomes Spring, so if you wish more protection on your path to Eyktol, you should consider traveling through Endrykas. We watch with more eyes closer to the City."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on March 18th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Jilitse remarked, "You remind me a little of the Syliran Knights." The mention of the knights made Jasa'lah squirm a little. "They keep watch of Stormhold castle and the routes near the city." Endrykas had the Watch, Syliras had the Knights, Sahova had the golems. Where there was a concentration of creatures, humans or otherwise, all things had a method to protect themselves, if not at least ensure the safety. Why was the world was this threatening, unwelcoming, dangerous, in a continous state of chaos? And yet people continued to live, even the Nuits in Sahova continued to exist. Maybe the rest of the world was still under the process of healing itself. Only to be destroyed again? She thought, nothing ever really changes. "All things considered, it is remarkable how people are able to gather themselves together." Jilitse said, "I was told by Aslode that Endrykas was a traveling city, moving from one place to another?" Upon confirmation, "I have heard very little about the migrating city." Fact is, she had also asked very little about it. It wasn't in their itinerary anyway.

The Benshiran spoke after Sam'ael, "I think that visiting Endrykas is a good idea." He turned to Jilitse, "Why don't we head over to Endrykas, re-supply?" The Nuit gave him an incredulous stare, the rations could still deliver them to Ahnatep. She said so, "I thought that we should travel light? You yourself said that we have enough rations. I don't need to overfeed my horse." She crossed her arms. He answered back, "You've never been to Endrykas, Jilitse, and chances are, you will never have the chance to. Think of this as an opportunity to meet the horse clans of Cyphrus."

She laid out one hand towards Jasa'lah, as if that would make the man understand her better. "The only one who will enjoy the trip will be my Mountain Pony." Surely a horse will enjoy the company of other horses?

"Come on Jilitse," Jasa'lah pleaded, fingers locked as if praying. "I would also like to seek refuge, even for a while."

She scowled, a frowning corpse was not a very lovely sight to behold. "Aslode was all praises for you for braving the burning lands. And here you are anything but brave."

He reasoned, "We aren't in the Burning Lands." Jasa'lah asked Sama'el, "We'd be welcome in Endrykas if we... join the caravan, right? I mean... well, not really bragging about it, but saving someone's life should be counted, right?"

"We aren't to impose," Jilitse warned her companion, holding his shoulder to make him see reason, "I don't think they would like strangers coming into the city." She didn't look nicely upon the Benshiran dropping his humility, but she guessed there might be a reason why he wanted to visit the city.

"You are well-versed with horses?" Jilitse inquired, hoping to change the discussion. Decisions could be made later. "I noticed that you have a name for your horse. Is it odd if I never name my horse? Mountain Pony is a name, right?" She was serious, "Jasa'lah here knows how to ride a horse, but he complains a lot how camels are better rides. You seem to know your breeds." She commented, "You came here riding Dohaina, do you ride well?"

"I am still a bit surprised how you could travel alone."
Jilitse has no idea, if only vague.

Jasa'lah shook his head and gave an apologetic look at Sama'el. The Nuit could be slow in realizing things sometimes. Or maybe it was her way to make other people talk, instead of her talking.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 18th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Sama'el smiled indulgently at the comparison with the Order, as he had met several of them while working in the Windmount Stables for a time. Some of his brethren might take exception to such words, but not this one. While Jasa'lah and Jilitse argued -- discussed? -- the merits and demerits of altering course to pass through Endrykas, he listened and then spoke.

"You will be made welcome among the pavilions of Endrykas if you abide by our laws while there. Should you decide to come, I will ride ahead to herald your coming." This would prevent hostile interception by roving Watchmen. He didn't mean to disappoint the Nuit, but he had to answer truthfully. When she changed the subject to horses, he felt it prudent to follow her lead.

"I am one of our better riders," he said without shame, "and an able trainer of horses. And Dohaina is her name, which means 'gift'. Roughly. But Mountain Pony works as well if Mountain Pony responds to it. They tend to let a person know when they are unhappy."

He shook his head, not attempting to be immodest, but well aware of his skills.

"I can outrun almost anything and anyone upon the Sea of Grass. If I cannot, then I will fight. I assure you, I am capable of traversing the plains without escort." Of course, he could meditate while allowing Dohaina and himself a bit of rest and scout around in all directions to be sure that he is avoiding danger if need be, but a foreign mage did not need to know that.

"Come," he invited simply. "You will see the Stardowns at winter camp. Where holy Zintila fell to the ground to heal Semele."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on April 10th, 2011, 5:03 am

"We would be very thankful if you could do that, Sama'el," Jasa'lah said, and nodded his appreciation. Though the Benshiran was quite disappointed when Jilitse brought up the topic of horses, he placed his own thoughts on the table. "There are rides for specific places, Jilitse. One horse may not be well suited for another terrain. You could usually guess just by the name. A Cyphrus Strider is commonly found in Cyphrus, An Eyktolian Desertbred... well you could say something by the name. Like when a horse is called a Mountain Pony." He reasoned, and something about the words made Sama'el pick up that the Benshiran had been trying to convince the Nuit to leave her horse, or at least not bring it into the desert.

"That's really going to be harsh. In the desert there's rarely any water. You could go on for days with no water, but not your horse." The Benshiran continued, "Tell her, Sama'el. This Nuit needs to learn a thing or two about taking care of breathing, living, alive animals." The emphasis could not be more than obvious. Jilitse was new at having pulsers around, else she wouldn't be socially awkward, but whatever experience she has on her belt was not enough to give her the proper compassion to the needs of her companions - animals and humans alike.

Jilitse would ignore Jasa'lah, unless Sama'el would say something in support of the man's words. The Nuit was more curious about someone traveling alone in the sea of grass, for not often could one travel distances on one's own. "You ride fast. Fast enough to outrun anything?" She titled her head in curiosity, "What do you mean?" If the man was not willing to share any more details, she would simply apologize for intruding something that an "outsider" wasn't allowed to, and will promise to be more polite and respectful next time.

"Your words are very inviting,"
Jil said, softening her stance against visiting the traveling city. "Perhaps Jasa'lah could drop by, and I will accompany him."

"Though, please, tell me about the Stardowns. I am very interested in hearing about deities, and your culture is a long shot away from mine. If I would better understand the Drykas through your tale, please do tell what you can?"

I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 10th, 2011, 8:39 pm

"Certainly, a mountain pony has adapted to rocky, more mountainous terrain, and a Desertbred or a camel would be more suited to Eyktol's climate and terrain. We are all part of our environments, connected. Even you, Mistress Jilitse. Your people have desiccation to trouble them in Eyktol, rot in Falyndar." He shrugged. "Same sort of thing."

But he certainly wasn't going to tell her what to do with regard to her journey unless it negatively impacted his people or she asked his advice. He shrugged again when she asked about dangers to outrun in the Cyphrus wilds.

"Zith, glassbeaks, snarlwings, and the occasional other monsters. Even the odilosapai can be dangerous if you threaten their young. But Dohaina is faster than all of them." He nodded confidently.

"The Stardowns? Certainly. After the Valterrian ripped Mother Semele apart, her daughter, the Queen of Stars, sacrificed herself to heal her mother's wounds. The Stardowns are where she fell from on high, now a bowl in the earth, full of life, though it was a smoking crater at first. We hold our sacred Winter rites there, but she herself lives in Lhavit if the tales are true. Diminished, but still a goddess of sorts..."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next