Closed Cover their eyes

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Cover their eyes

Postby Reed on March 1st, 2020, 4:42 am

Date: 21st of Winter, 519 A.V.

When Reed woke up, he was surprised to see the woman laying own in the exact posture she was the night before. Part of him had thought it was some elaborate dream, but there she was laying on his pack. Sitting up carefully in his bed, he stretched slowly to not make any noise before getting up and padding over to his little kitchen nook. Grabbing a stale roll, he tore off a piece while watching the woman out of the corner of his eye. She had yet to stir. Why so jumpy? She is only a wee little thing. Chewing his roll, he walked carefully over to her. Reed froze when he saw that her eyes where open, but they did nit track him. Instead, they looked off to the side, towards the door. She was grinning, but her lips did not move. Neither did she breathe so far as he could tell, even after he knelt to get a closer look. It was as if she was frozen in time.

Cautiously, he reached out and touched her foot. His hand shot back in surprise. She felt as cold, and hard as stone! Instinctively, he reached out to grasp her gingerly in his hand and found that she was as rigid as a statue in his palm. He chewed his lip and set her back down on the pack before pacing the room, not quite sure to make of this new development. Had she said anything about this last night? He didn’t think so, but of course, there had been a lot of mental flood going on then. What had he missed? Why was she like this now? Had he been talking to a statue this whole time? He didn’t think so, but then again, he heard voices in his head, so his opinion was rather moot. I’m not just a voice thick skull. He felt a twinge of anger at that but set it aside for now. He didn’t want to deal with that just yet. Look idiot boy, I’m trying to help you! A part of Reed gave to that demand, the rest following suit.

Merdem smiled and closed his eyes. “Oh, Nikali, hear my prayer. Bless me with your—” Reed pushed back against the foreign force, and blinked, once again in control. I’m not inclined to let you run rough shot over me again! He sat back against the wall beside his pack, and looked down at the statue. A piece of the goddess. Prayer. Pieces of last nights conversation floated through his head, spurred on by the confrontation with the voice that sought to control him. Though he didn’t like the taste of trying anything the voice thought of, he did remember now that it was what the little Nikali said before he went to sleep. He prayed with his eyes open, eyes on the statue below him.

I haven’t ever prayed to you before, or anyone really so I don’t know how this works. All I know is that you save people, slaves specifically. I think that’s noble, it is something I can understand and get behind, even if I’m not a slave myself. This hadn’t occurred to me before, but this little piece of you has got me thinking, and I don’t think that is a bad thing. I just… There is a lot of things I have had to do to survive that I am not proud of. Things to people that could have benefited from your mark so they would have never met me in the pit. That is what I’m struggling with right now, so I guess, I’m just asking you for guidance because I need to remain strong to forge through what is ahead of me.
Reed
Player

Words: 112495
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Cover their eyes

Postby Reed on March 18th, 2020, 5:11 am

Below him, the statue stirred to life, blinking before her eyes flicked to his. “Morning so soon?” Reed chewed his lip and stood up. “Why didn’t you tell me about… this thing… whatever it was you were doing?” Little Nikali stood up as well, and chuckled. “Well you seemed pretty overwhelmed with the basics last night. Besides, you remembered to pray, didn’t you?” Rolling his eyes, Reed pulled on his shirt and trousers. “Not the point, I was—” “Worried?” The little woman snickered as she stretched her arms out high over her head. “No” He said, lacing his boots. “try confused. Are you made of stone?” “Well I’m certainly not a Pycon.” She said with a grin, striding over him to lean against his leg. “So where we going today?

I’m going to practice. You can stay here or look for a new patron I guess.” Reed said with a shrug, walking to his chest to retrieve his arms, and armor. “Oh, don’t be like that. Of course, I’m going with you. You prayed for me after all, so obviously you need me.” Reed squinted for a moment and turned towards her. “So, is that how this works, I pray, and you come to help?” “For a time, yes. But I’ll not help that nasty little brother of yours, no matter how sweetly he asks.I resent that.

Reed took in a deep breath of air through his nose and was still for a moment before blurting. “Who?” Little Nikali frowned slightly and turned her head up to him. “Your spirit twin? The one who tried praying to me before you regained control.” Reed’s brow furrowed in confusion. “How do you know about the voice?” It was a stupid question to as a piece of the divine, he realized, but it was a question he instinctively felt had to be asked. “Oh, it makes so much sense what I was feeling now you poor thing!” Little Nikali said, running a hand through her long, dark hair. “You were raised apart from your people, so you never got to prepare for your spiritual brother. I wonder how long he has been with you?Finally, someone is talking sense.

His mind reeled at her words, struggling to make sense of what she was saying. Are you real? Of course, brother. There was a powerfully numb feeling behind that response that chilled Reed. All this time… And you wonder why you are struggling. Reed gritted his teeth, and slammed his hand against the wall. The hit stung, and the pain gave him something to latch on to but it wasn’t enough this time. You can’t just push me aside with pain. Not anymore, not now that you know I exist. He slammed his hand again, pain shooting up through his arm.

Now, that is not helping anyone. How about you just sit down on the bed and relax. This would be hard for anyone to adjust to.” Little Nikali cooed, suddenly at his side and patting his calf. Gently, she pulled him back towards the bed. Mechanically, he followed, sitting down on the edge before burying his face in his hands. Can’t hide from this anymore brother. It’s about time we’ve had a proper conversation. Reed was feeling a torrent of emotions right now. On top of the confusion and relief he felt, he was also keenly aware now of Merdem’s anger and rising disdain. They were both thinking and feeling so powerfully right now that it became difficult for Reed to distinguish between them. For now. only Nikali’s voice kept him being swept up in his brother’s emotional turmoil.
Reed
Player

Words: 112495
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)