Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Liam on February 26th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Timestamp: Winter 38, 510 AV

Liam wasn't sure what had compelled him to venture this far away from the city. It wasn't that he was worried about getting lost, he knew the area well enough from his life. Nor was he worried about danger; there were few things that could harm a ghost that didn't want to be harmed. It was simply that he was straying from his mission. Few things were perfectly clear in his life, or afterlife as it was, but the one thing he knew for certain was that he would bring down the Black Sun and make Rhysol and his followers pay.

Yet there he was, out of sight of the city whose deity he harbored such hatred. Why had Liam ventured out here, he could not answer, but he felt as if he were looking for something. And so Liam wandered about the forest, spying the occasional animal who would run away the moment they noticed him. At one point he spotted such an animal, a rabbit, and decided to give chase just for the fun of it.

The rabbit was fast and agile, and tried to lose Liam by dodging around trees and diving through thorn bushes. It would have been a good tactic, except that Liam could move right through trees and bushes as if they weren't even there. The frantic bunny was beginning to tire, and it still hadn't lost it's pursuer, so it tried one final trick, diving into a hole in the ground.

Liam paused at the hole, wondering what it would be like to chase the rabbit underground, but decided against it. He had pestered the poor bunny enough, and it had provided him with an entertaining distraction. Liam was about to give up on the entire wilderness venture, viewing it as a waste of his time, when he heard footsteps nearby. Vanishing from sight, Liam approached the source of the noise...
Liam
Player

Words: 74206
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Aello on February 26th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Aello was walking through the forests that lined the outskirts of Ravok. She had left the city in order to find something good to eat, and to practice her archery. She would have remained within the confines of the city, although, there didn't seem to be anything good on the menu, and she knew the stryfe wouldn't appreciate her sending arrows soaring through the air. Especially if she "accidently" shot one of them. The stryfe were far too uptight she thought, especially when it came to getting into fights. Mizaharian Gods forbid she should ever get into a fight with them, even if it were for self defensive purposes. Such a thing would lead to a swift execution; for her.

Sighing, and wiping the thought of her execution from the forefront of her mind, Aello crept over fallen tree branches, and crunchy, dead, brown leaves. She was doing her best to keep her eyes peeled for any sign of movement, but found it difficult to concentrate due to the cold wind that was rustling its way through the trees, causing several of the dried leaves to tumble across her path. She couldn't wait for spring. Winter was getting very old, very fast, and Aello longed for slightly warmer weather. Hopefully, it'd be over soon, she thought as she stepped over a log that had fallen across her path. The wood was split, and several woodchips littered the forest floor. It must have fallen in a storm, Aello thought.

Just then, a brown-furred rabbit scurried across the wood just in front of her. It seemed as though it were running from something. But Aello couldn't see what it was. Regardless, it was the first sign of life Aello had noticed since entering the forest, and she hurried after it. Her father's bow was swinging back and forth with each of her steps. Her left hand was reaching behind her to grab an arrow to knock onto her bow. While at the same time, she was doing her best to keep an eye on the rabbit, and another on the terrain so that she didn't accidently run into a tree. The task proved far harder to perform than she had thought, and she soon lost sight of the rabbit. "Darn it!" she cried, as she was forced to stop short in her tracks, her loaded bow dangling uselessly on the right side of her body.

As she stood in place, mind scolding her for losing sight of her next meal, Blythe began to feel unnaturally cool. Her hair fluttered up and around her shoulders. Her fingertips began to turn blue, and lose their feeling. But as far as she could tell, it was merely the wind. The cold of the winter that made her feel this way, and not the presence of a ghost.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Liam on March 1st, 2011, 1:34 am

It might have been the winter that contributed to the cold Aello was feeling, or it might have been the close proximity of Liam as he slowly approached from behind. Perhaps it was a bit of both, but of course Liam could not feel any of it and his thoughts were far from the cold. Who was this woman, who had appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the forest in the middle of winter? Liam did not recognize her, and she didn't appear to be a member of the Stryfe or Black Sun; they usually were pretty obvious about their allegiances.

No, this was just a random girl wandering in the forest.. Perhaps she had been hunting the rabbit Liam was chasing earlier? She did have a bow and looked like she was ready to use it. Seeing no reason to hang around, Liam turned and began to head in the opposite direction, but something stopped him. Not quite understanding why, Liam approached the woman again, wondering what her reaction to him would be.

Not materializing, but simply letting himself become visible, Liam floated up behind Aello, stopping a few feet away. If Aello turned around she would see the semi-transparent image of a young man dressed in mail armor with a shield on his back and a sword at his side. The weapon was of course useless, but it was part of the image Liam put forth to represent himself. Thinking of nothing better to say, Liam simply asked his question.

"Ahem.. ...hello. What are you doing out here?"
Liam
Player

Character sheet

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Aello on March 1st, 2011, 4:12 pm

Aello looked around her but saw no one, although she was certain she had heard a voice. Deciding that it must be coming from behind her, she turned around, and found herself face to face with yet another ghost. What a surprise. Actually, it was, being that the air was too cold already from the winter, and the wind was simply accentuating that fact. None of the usual signs of the presence of a ghost could have been noticeable to her. So for all she had known, the forest could have been empty. The cold that surrounded her merely the air itself.

The ghost Aello saw before her appeared as though he had been a fighter in life. She saw ghosts like him from time to time. They had a nasty tendency to have died violently, and hold grudges against whoever it was that claimed them. "Hello," Aello called. She was beginning to think the ghost had merely sought her out so that she may help it with its unfinished business. Whatever that was. "I was merely out for a hunt." Aello answered, before adding, "I got sick of city food and wanted something fresh. But the only thing there seemed to have been was a rabbit, and I lost sight of that."

Aello tilted her head to the side as she looked up at the strange ghost. It seemed to be hovering an inch or two above the ground, just like most if not all of the others. "And what are you doing out here..." Aello's voice trailed off, she hadn't gotten the ghost's name, and didn't know what to call him. She knew better than to call him a ghost however, from past experience. For whatever reason, their kind didn't often like to be reminded of their current state of being. "One doesn't normally find..." Aello's voice trailed off, she was desperately trying to avoid the "G" word. "Out in the forest," she finished, as she shifted her weight nervously from her right foot to her left, and her cheeks started to feel warm. They were growing red.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Liam on March 5th, 2011, 3:04 am

A smile grew on Liam's ghostly lips as Aello, completely unphased by his nature, explained what she was doing out in the woods. She was hunting the rabbit, as it turned out, but there was little Liam could do to help with that. By now the bunny had moved on and there would be no finding it any time soon. Liam understood her desire though. While there was no shortage of food in Ravok, the freshest food was saved for those at the temple or the rich. This woman did not appear to be from either lot, and would probably be stuck eating imports that had been sitting for who knew how long before reaching ehr plate.. assuming she was even lucky enough to own a plate, for that matter.

"And what are you doing out here..."

She trailed off at the end of her question, perhaps wondering what she should call him. Liam had not given his name, that was true, nor had he any intention of doing so until he knew this woman better. If she did have some connection to Rhysol there was a chance she might recognize his name. While Liam had never actually become one of them, he had worked with many in Rhysol's following and at one time his name had been well known.

"One doesn't normally find... ...Out in the forest."

The girl seemed uncomfortable, drawing a frown from Liam. He didn't want her to be uncomfortable, at least not yet. Liam had had little positive experience with the living since his death, and a pleasant conversation from someone who wasn't afraid of him was something he didn't intend to pass up. Deciding to break the ice, Liam took a leap of faith and spoke up.

"My name is Liam, Liam Ward. And call me what I am, a ghost. I hold no illusions otherwise."

Liam was surprised by his own willingness to tell this stranger his name, but he felt like he could trust her. Something had drawn him out to the middle of the woods, and perhaps it had something to do with her. Or maybe Liam just wanted someone to talk to.

"I don't really know what I'm doing out here. I was looking for something, but I can't remember what it was. Maybe it was you.. Or maybe it was my shoes. I can never find them when I need them." Liam shrugged, clearly at a loss for explanation.
Liam
Player

Character sheet

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Aello on March 5th, 2011, 5:12 am

"Hello Liam, it's lovely to make your acquaintance," Aello replied. It was strange for a ghost to introduce themselves, she thought. Very few of them seemed to, even when they asked her to do something for them. "Can't say the name rings any bells though."

Aello looked up at the strange ghost. Why would he need shoes? He's a ghost, it's not like they walk anywhere. He doesn't need them.

That's not the point!" another portion of her brain scolded.

But he can materialize, what good are a pair of shoes?

The other half of Aello's brain sighed. It's more for appearances. Habit, it makes him feel good.

It makes him seem so old... like a decrepit old man who has lost yet another of his belongings. Aello's brain whispered.

Aello!

Well it's true! the other side of her brain shouted. Merely stating a fact.

Aello shook her head. Her brain had given up on being nice. Or, rather, trying to get her to be nice, and not so darn judgmental. "Do you remember where you last saw your shoes?" Aello asked. She had a funny feeling he had been drawn to her because of the dagger. It seemed to do that: draw ghosts to her. It definitely wasn't his search for shoes.

"It always seems like things go missing when we need them most," Aello commented as she turned her head away so that she could look around her at their surroundings. She was pretending to help. She didn't honestly expect to find his shoes. "Of course, when we don't need them, they're right under our noses. It can be quite the nuisance really, especially when one's in a bind. Need the knife but don't have it... can lead to trouble in a sticky situation, if you know what I mean."

Aello hoped it was ok that she was speaking so openly. She didn't want to offend the ghost, but at least, unlike some of the others, it didn't appear to take offense when she did. Or narrowly skirted around the subject. "So, is it ok to ask how you died? Why you haven't moved on?" Aello asked. She paused for a moment before adding, "or do you not trust me with your secrets?"
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Liam on March 8th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Liam laughed when Aello started looking around for his shoes, having not been serious about it when he said they were lost. "Don't bother, I'm sure you won't find them, unless you have a shovel. Although I don't think I would want to wear them after a year underground.." Liam might have patted Aello on the back or used some other kind of friendly gesture, but in his experience the living found his touch to be uncomfortable usually. "I wasn't serious about the missing shoes, I know exactly where they are."

Aello asked him about his death and Liam fell silent for a moment. She didn't seem to be one of Rhysol's minions, but to speak ill of the god or his followers even to a normal citizen was risky. But for some reason Liam trusted Aello, even though they had only just met. And besides, there was nothing she could do to hurt him even if she did turn out to be an enemy as far as he knew. He was already dead, what could she do?

"I suppose there's no harm in telling you," Liam finally said, "I was a mercenary working for the Ebonstryfe. It was good money, and I was good at what I did... but then I found out they had betrayed me. I wasn't always a mercenary.. I was happily married once, and had two children. They were all taken from me..." Liam paused, collecting himself before he continued. Memories of his life before the Stryfe floated to the forefront of his mind. He wasn't sure if he could cry, but he wasn't about to do it in front of this woman if he could.

"I discovered that the Black Sun was the reason everybody I had ever cared about was dead, that from the day I was born they had been pulling the strings to my life. I confronted them about it and they killed me. I am still here because I cannot let what they did go unpunished... I will not rest until the Black Sun has crumbled, the Voice muted, and Rhysol lies dead at my feet."

Liam fell silent, watching Aello as he gauged her reaction. If she turned aggressive he could simply disappear, or perhaps try to possess her and make her kill herself, though Liam doubted he could exert that kind of control. Maybe she could "trip" and fall on a sharp object... Or if she seemed receptive to the idea, perhaps Liam had found a potential ally in his quest for revenge. He knew he would need help if he intended to overthrow a god, after all.
Liam
Player

Character sheet

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Aello on March 8th, 2011, 11:13 pm

"Well that certainly doesn't sound... pleasant," Aello commented as she grit her teeth and made a sort of dissatisfied looking face. It took her a few minutes to return her face to a more natural state. When she had, she said, "do you know why the stryfe would kill them? Or is that something you are still searching for?" Aello paused. "The answer?"

There was another long pause on Aello's end. "It seems like the stryfe can be rather cutthroat. They seem to be a cold, ruthless group that will stomp out all that oppose them. But then again, I'm new here and wouldn't know for sure. Perhaps they think it the only way to maintain order within Ravok. The city does have a rather large population, and it lacks a more formal government, if you will. Hopefully that makes sense to you."

"Anyway, it doesn't excuse what they have done," Aello continued, she shifted her weight and bit her bottom lip. She was feeling somewhat uncomfortable, and unsure as to what to say. "Either, way, I apologize for your loss. I would give you some more mist or something, since you guys seem to like it, but unfortunately I'm all out."

"Even so," Aello said, "consider your secret and generally vengeful nature our little secret." Aello bowed her head slightly. "Unlike some, I have no intention of going off to the stryfe to mention what you have said." Even if you did, they couldn't do much about him. He's a ghost! He's dead. What on earth can they do, and what can he do to stop them?

"But, how, may I ask, do you intend on taking them down?" Aello inquired. "After all, you're a ghost, and although they may not be able to kill you, they could always harm you. Surely they have a few spiritists on their side. Surely they know how to strike..."

"You can't just possess them all, and run them into the ground. Especially not a God like Rhysol," Aello continued. "Although I know little of him, he is feared throughout Mizahar. But surely you know that?" Aello paused, she was deep in thought. "The only way you may acquire what you seek is by gaining the help of a god, and several gifted people." Aello paused again for a moment before adding, "it is sad to see how much people can hurt others. How hard it is to bring those with power to their knees; to turn the tides. Isn't it?"
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Liam on March 10th, 2011, 2:11 am

Liam shook his head as Aello spoke, jumping in when she paused for the first time. "Reason doesn't matter to them. They are the disciples of chaos, they do what they do whether reason plays into it or not. They choose people and destroy them, tear them apart until they have nothing left. That is what they did to me, and I have helped them do it many times myself. You don't know it's them, of course. That's how they get you, they tear you apart in secret and then offer you salvation in their arms." Liam shook his head, remembering the terrible things he had done toward that very end without realizing the same had been done to him.

As for why me in particular, I am certain it had everything to do with my father. He was a knight of Syliras, and they killed him. They most likely chose me out of spite, or maybe they just thought it would be amusing to corrupt the child of a knight."

When Aello mentioned how Liam might succeed and proposed the need for another god Liam fell silent, speechless. He knew he would most likely have to recruit help in order to achieve what he wanted, but he had never considered the possibility that he might need the help of a god. The gods had not been kind to him in life. Rhysol, of course, had had the most influence but there was a time when he had once venerated Rak'keli as his matron goddess. She too had failed him in Liam's eyes when she let his mother be taken from him... the idea of asking a god for help was certainly not a pleasing one, but one Liam might eventually have to consider.

"I... I honestly don't know. I haven't given much thought as to how I might succeed. I know I can't do it alone, but I never even thought about asking a god for help. Sometimes I find it hard to focus.. hard to plan. My mind is still a mess after everything that happened.. you are seeing me at my best."

Liam shrugged, "I have all eternity if need be. For now my main focus is learning how to use my new... body.. and causing as much disruption in their midst as I can.
Liam
Player

Character sheet

Ghostly Meetings (Aello)

Postby Aello on March 10th, 2011, 3:44 am

"Well that certainly doesn't sound pleasant," Aello commented. "But then again, how can one truly be surprised by such an answer? The stryfe are the embodiment of chaos, and thus, would have no problem spreading it. Apparently, even if it is upon one of their own, which must mean that the stryfe have no allegiances. They have no sense of loyalty, and can simply go around killing at will. Certainly that cannot be a good thing for those of use left living. If they can strike at any time... turn at any moment, how safe are we when we reside within the confines of Rhysol's city?" Aello asked.

"If what you said is true, than that must mean that the stryfe always hold our lives in their hands. That they can take them away at any moment. It means that we are not as free as we would like to think, doesn't it?" Aello asked. "One false step and we will wind up like you..."

"No offense, but I'd like to think I have a few more good years in me," Aello added, rather nervously. She had shifted her weight back and forth between her feet a few times now, and a bead of sweat had appeared on her brow. She was biting her bottom lip.

"Anyway, I understand, it must be difficult, to die. To come back as a ghost and wonder this plane, wondering what to do with ones self and how to pass the time. Wondering how to finish whatever it is that keeps you here, and trying to comprehend how it all happened. What brought you to the here and now. What brought you to a place of such apparent misery. How to get it to all go away. Surely it must make one's head spin. All the possibilities, the endless ways and reasons. It must take ages to make the mind quiet and simply sort everything out. Surely such a thing is not easy," Aello said.

"But, when your mind does quiet, perhaps you will find something to work on. One thing at a time. Perhaps it is best that way. For if you work on one task before another, it ensures everything gets completed. It ensures your not getting overwhelmed. It keeps the daunting feeling of having too much to do and too little time to do it in away," Aello paused. "Of course you're already dead and you have more time than most. But still, I'd imagine you'd rather have everything done sooner rather than later. I know if I were you anyway, I'd want my revenge as soon as I could have it."

There was a long pause before Aello spoke again, "it's horrible what they did to you and your family, and I'm truly sorry. Hopefully one day you will have all your answers Liam, even if you don't come around to obtaining your revenge, for whatever reason. Even though you deserve it, surely such a thing cannot be easy on one's soul."
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next