Meaning Of Life [Brian Gregoric]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Karl William on February 28th, 2011, 11:57 am

Timestamp: 10th of Winter, 510 AV

Having failed his meditation session, even after trying for over an hour, Karl was in a sour mood. He felt like having a drink in peace to take his mind of it. Putting his arms back in his robe and putting on the hood, he went downstairs. Without greeting the patron or assistant he ordered a drink with a foul tone in his voice and after paying, seated himself on a barstool at the counter and moped, drinking his glass empty fast and ordering a new one.

" Bad day? " The patron asked, trying to lighten his mood by conversing probably.

" Yeah. " His response was short and crude but he didn't care, he'll apologize tomorrow when he felt better, now he just wanted to drink in peace. The patron gave up after a few more questions and went to wash his glasses further away.
After a few drinks, Karl started to lighten up, which was the effect of being slightly tipsy.

He apologized to the patron for being so rude and explained to him why, he waved his apologies away and stated that everyone feels that way sometimes and that it wasn't a big deal. Karl smiled and thanked him for understanding before ordering a new drink.
Karl William
Player

Words: 15420
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 1:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on February 28th, 2011, 9:23 pm

The Tavern was quite cluttered that evening, with blithering, mellow folks all around. Everyone wagging their half-empty mugs and ordering beer after beer...after beer. Merry little world, indeed.
Brian loved spending his evenings in the Tavern, especially when the atmosphere was as jovial as that very time.

Since there was no empty tables, he was forced to take a seat at the counter. Not his favorite location, but he sure wasn't going to leave.
So, he took a seat and ordered a beer.

As he was waiting to be served and have his mouth finally moistened, he eavesdropped (not by intention) a conversation, or more precisely an apology and the acceptance of one. He turned his face towards the man sitting next to him and took a good look. He was kind of sticking out of the whole "happy evening" concept. His face had a serious look, and he wasn't smiling. Maybe for a second there, but it went back to momentous. Usually, Brian would just let it go, coming up with a number of ironical, derisive comments in his mind and no more, but not this time. He was too much in a good mood and he was going to do his best to bring a smile to this stranger's face.

"Hey, mate", he said gleefully, "why so serious?"
Brian Gregoric
What if I say I'm not like the others?

Words: 13879
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Character sheet

Postby Karl William on March 1st, 2011, 11:00 am

As he traced the edge of his glass with a finger out of boredom, he was suddenly approached by a man who was sitting next to him at the counter. Karl turned to face the man who asked him why he was all serious and moody. At first he expected the man to be a typical, rugged bar-goer but it was actually quite the opposite.

The man that spoke to him was a slender, relatively small and feminine man.
Karl was surprised by his looks but didn't give it much more attention as he was just happy to have someone to talk too, considering he scared of most others by his serious look. Which he couldn't help since he was in a bad mood earlier, but not anymore after having so many drinks.

He cheerfully replied.

" Hey there, and I apologize for my sourness. I had a bit of a bad day you see.
I'm Karl, nice to meet you. " He said as he held out a hand by sliding his arm over the counter, towards the man.
Karl William
Player

Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on March 1st, 2011, 11:29 am

There he was, expecting a rude, grouchy reply, and all he got was...a hand-shake and cheerful reply? And..was that a smile? :)

He shook Karl's hand and smiled.
"Brian. Same here", he replied.

"That's a lot of booze, my friend." He was pointing towards the empty glasses.

"Excuse me for being curious, but may I ask you what's wrong with your day?"

Brian asked Karl, tapping his fingers on the counter and making a semi-serious look on his face.
That wasn't just a way to start a conversation anymore. He actually wanted to find out what was with that guy Karl. Brian didn't have an intention of imposing, but the night was young and he was getting interested in the stranger's "soon to be" story. Who knows what could come out from that. A friendship, perhaps? Or a fierce public debate ending with a fist fight? Well, one way or another, he decided to try and stay amicable. Karl was too much of a man for Brian's little, fragile body.

"Two more beers, pall", he yelled to the patron, "for me and my friend Karl here."

He was grinning while pronouncing the word "friend", for it had been a while since he got the opportunity to use it.
Brian Gregoric

Character sheet

Postby Karl William on March 1st, 2011, 1:10 pm

He laughed as Brian pointed out the amount of drinks Karl has had, there were about 4 glasses in front of him while there were a few already removed by the patron. Brian was right though, he was already quite tipsy as he wasn't used to drinking liquor this fast. He isn't the type of guy to get drunk every night, he came here to train to become stronger afterall.

" What's wrong with my day? What's wrong is that I realized today that I'm weak. Onfocused, irresponsible, immature and not fit to go home yet. That's what's wrong. "

He spoke louder than he wanted to and with a more agressive tone of voice than he wanted aswell. He doesn't like to admit his flaws but people tend to get overtalkative when drunk, which was the case for Karl aswell.

" Thanks for the beer, mate. " He said, now with a completely different tone of voice. Whether it was because he realized he came over as a douche or because of the free beer was open for debate.

" So how about you ? What brought you to this part of the world? "
Karl William
Player

Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on March 1st, 2011, 2:56 pm

For a moment there, Brian disliked the tone Karl used to speak to him. However, he immediately spoke friendly again, and Brian calmed down.

It was more than obvious that Karl had been having some serious inner conflicts, which were also reflected on his solicitous, frustrated face.

"I see...Well, let me correct you there. Doesn't admitting being immature make you more mature than you actually think? Self-cognition is a feature of the great grown ones. And remember one thing, Karl", he added after taking a sip of beer from the mug, with an exultant, proud grin on his face, "- maturity is a relative thing."

It is possible that there was nothing in the world Brian appreciated more than that. Introducing his own little ideas and phylosophies to the world, with no other intention but to make it better.

"As for me, my story is quite silly. I was only a child when mysterious ways led me here, to Riverfall." Brian had a tendency to add a bit of drama when speaking about himself and his life.

"You might not believe me, but I am a Rain Man. Literally. I love the rain, and there where I grew up, was no rain. So, I followed the drunken four and ended up here. That would be the short version. :) "

It flattered him that Karl looked interested in the whole story. And he seemed lighter, not so serious as Brian met him.

"So, tell me, my dear friend, what was it that made you think so badly of your own littleness?"
Brian Gregoric

Character sheet

Postby Karl William on March 2nd, 2011, 9:37 am

While he agreed with what Brian talked about so eloquently, he still couldn't shake the feeling that he was weak. He took a sip of his beer and thought of a way to make his point come over without sounding rude or melodramatic. After a moment of thinking he just talked without thinking about the details really.

" I agree that self-criticism is important and makes you more mature than those who don't, in some ways. But realism isn't something that makes you stronger, thinking and knowing it, is not the same as doing something about it. And while I try to do something about my weakness, I tend to notice my own weakness more and more as I picture the long road ahead of me. "

He rambled on a bit, being drunk and all, and finished it with:

" What I'm trying to say is... I don't really know what I'm trying to say but it comes down to this... I realize I'm weak, and I try to change, but at the same time I fail at it. And that, that, makes me angry. "

" But not at you! "

He quickly added with a grin while he chugged down the remainder of his pint.
Listening to Brian's story about who he was and how he got here, he couldn't help but admire him somewhat.

" Must've been hard for you, growing up in a place like that and moving on to a new world on your own. You're stronger than you look, especially mentally it seems. Which is a strength every man should take pride in! "

He smiled again, he was being sincere but he didn't knew if it came over as such since he was starting to see things rather blurry and kept staring at random spots, fascinated by nothing really.

He suddenly grinned and tapped the counter a few times with the palm of his righthand. He had gotten in a good mood thanks to his new friend, Brian.

" Sir, oh good sir, a pint for my mate here and a water for me. "

He leaned slightly towards Brian and spoke in a slurred manner.

" I drank a bit too much, I'm going for water now or I'll end up knocking my self out falling from this barstool, y'know? "
Karl William
Player

Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on March 2nd, 2011, 10:15 am

Brian came to realize that Karl wasn't just having a bad day. He was obviously going through a whole bad period and Brian kind of felt sorry for the man. But nonetheless, he admired him a bit. Not everyone would reveal his weaknesses to a complete stranger, not even after a few glasses of alcohol. Karl really was true, to himself, and to Brian, as it appeared.

"It sure wasn't milk and honey. I have never seen my mother after I left, nor my father and sister. Everyone took a part in raising me up, this whole place. Though it was rough, it had done me good. It made me who I am today. The geniality of people is the whole reason I like them."

Brian went on and on talking about himself, with the sincerity and trust of a child. For a second there, he felt a sting of nostalgia, but he kept talking, brining some wit into the speech.

"Look at the bright side- if the roads of coincidence hadn't brought me to Riverfall, who would be buying you beer tonight?"
He bent his head a bit left and smiled, starting to feel the initial effect of those beers he had consumed while perorating with his kind fellow.

Then Karl ordered another beer for Brian and water for himself, with an additional explanation that he didn't want to end up on floor, dead drunk.

"Allow me to interfere once again. I see what your problem is, Karl. However, doesn't recognition bring you a step closer to the solution? I believe that if you have the vigor and power to uncover such things about yourself, you have the same vigor and power to fix it. No matter what it takes, and how much time it takes, I believe that you are one hell of a man, Karl, and one day, soon enough, you will come to realize it as well."
Brian didn't know where all those words came from, for he had never gone through that much effort to help someone feel better. Especially a person he had met so little time ago. But Karl fascinated him, he enjoyed every sip of a beer in his company more than ever before. So, there they were. Two drunk men, confabulating about nothing, yet everything.
Brian Gregoric

Character sheet

Postby Karl William on March 2nd, 2011, 10:35 am

Karl smiled wide at Brian's comments and flattering. He took a sip of the water and put out a lemonsoured-face as he swallowed it, he forgot it wasn't a beer. His expectations of the drink were shattered as the liquid entered his mouth.

" Sunnuva, forgot it wasn't a beer. " He said grinning.

He unwillingly was reminded of his own family, his father and brother, that he left behind in his search for strength and power. He brushed it off as quickly as he could though, he didn't want to become all sour again. He didn't have any lemons with him anyway.

" I'm glad the roads of fate brought you to this tavern Brian, not for the beer but for the companionship. " He said grinning again.

" And while I'm flattered for calling me those things, I have to disagree with the statement you made about the conviction to fix things once you realize them. Not everyone has that conviction. Some, if not most, realize things and don't have the courage, strength or effort to change it. Those people are creatures that will linger in what-could-have-been and what-if for eternity though. I'll be damned before I become one of them. I will do all I can to change myself, but as I said, it's not an easy task and sometimes the burden becomes so great that I lose faith for a while. "

" I always end up picking myself up of the ground though. "

He added sincerely, not trying to show off or make himself seem a better man than he was. It was simply the truth, so far he was always able to pick himself up after breaking down.

" What are your goals in life? How do you see this world and it's state? 'Cause we've been talking too much about me, I want to hear your troubles and predicaments. Maybe I can help somehow. "

He smiled at Brian in a friendly way, he was happy he met him. He quickly became a good friend, eventhough it may only be a friendship that lasts 'till closing time. As was the case with many drunken friendships.
Karl William
Player

Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on March 2nd, 2011, 2:51 pm

It was nice to see his friend interested in his own life, and he wanted to tell him about anything he wanted to hear. However, there was a problem- Brian did not quite know what to say. Sure, he was an eloquent man, but the subject was pretty unclear, even to him.

"I would love to make a speech right now, but frankly, there is not much to say", said Brian, sighing to himself, disapointed, as well as surprised with the shallowness of his own future.
It was true. Brian had no actual plans for his life. All he knew was that he wanted to enjoy that little piece of time given to him.

"Call me weird, call me a fool, but I, my friend, have no idea for my life, whatsoever."

Saying those words out loud kind of slapped Brian in the face. Who was he to interfere with Karl's life when he himself had no slightest ide of his own?
The most, lets say, painful part of all that was the verity.

"Wow..Excuse me, mate, for this sudden change of mood. I found myself shocked by my own words of statement. Not ever 'till this very night have I give that question a thought. Perhaps I should have had."

Brian neared the half empty mug to his mouth and let the beer refresh him and pull him together. Then he just sat there, crestfallen, silent, looking at his friend with a hypocritical smile that was saying "everything is okay". But it wasn't okay. Not even by a long shot. The Pandora's box was opened.
Brian Gregoric

Character sheet

Next