Night Offers No Comfort (Roza Folks)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Night Offers No Comfort (Roza Folks)

Postby Gossamer on December 7th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Timestamping: To be determined by Orion - Winter 509 A.V.
Status: Open to Orion and up to two others - his choice pm him for entrance

The message came in a strange way. Messages were normally passed word of mouth, came as a form of missive by paid courier, or posted in the central message board Syliras had near the gates. This one, however, came from a small boy who brushed by Orion as he passed through the crowds in the massive castle's basement tier bazaar. It was a small piece of vellum pressed into the man's hand, an offered smile, and then the tow-headed boy darted into the crowd and was gone. Had the boy been doing his normal duty, Orion's purse would have been lighter by everything in it, but instead the message was just delivered and the boy was on his way again - determined not to be found for further questioning. And anyhow, the little fellow had others to deliver that day, and they each read the same thing.

The message was simple.

Meet at the Blackstone Warehouse on the coast beneath the city at the stroke of midnight. I have a job for you that will pay handsomely. I will personally pass you the job information for security reasons. 500 mizas are involved if you are on time and accept the contract. Further jobs will be forthcoming if your work on this business is acceptable. Others have been invited to partake of this work. It is their choice, as it is yours, to accept and present themselves at the appointed time. Tardiness will not be tolerated.

Two others were singled out that day in the bazaar and handed the same note. The sponsor was fishing, covering their bases that one of the three would show up.

The warehouse itself while not infamous or famous, was a known location for a fish market that was held every day. Fisherman sold excess catch there to the townsfolk of Syliras in all sorts of weather and seasons. It was not so much a 'warehouse' as it was a cave that tended to be dry most of the year unless a storm came up and swamped the docks, which wasn't unheard of. Further back, the facility remained dry all year. It was a bane to the builders of Syliras that the cave wasn't large enough to give to the shipwrights. Others, however, were, so ship building took place in Syliras, but only on a limited basis. Mainly, trade happened in these lower regions.

The docks and warehouse area on the shore level were accessed through a long wide ramp that was carved down through the cliffs beneath Stormhold, or through a circulars route. The warehouse, though not locked, would be open at midnight but entirely deserted. They would be exposed to any passing Syliran knights or other watches and defenders of the city.

Mod NoteIf you join the thread, you get the same note by the same blond boy.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: Night Offers No Comfort (Roza Folks)

Postby Orion Lorgan on December 9th, 2009, 2:45 am

Timestamping: Afternoon, Day 30, Winter 509 AV

Orion walked slowly through the crowd on his way to some random errand he realized he needed to do, while avoiding any nearby Knights. Then he realized a young urchin had pressed a piece of paper into his hand and was off. Narrowing his eyes, he glanced down at the paper and read it. Crumpling and dropping it, he turned and disappeared into the crowd, heading down a side street on his way to his errand. He needed to get that done quickly before heading over to the warehouse indicated.

Several hours later...

Sneaking down the street towards the warehouse, Orion kept a watchful gaze about the area, feeling slightly apprehensive. Shaking off the feeling, he kept his cloak tightly about him with one hand while his other hand was ready to grip one of his daggers and use it, in case this proved to be a trap.

Finally reaching the warehouse, he quietly slipped in through it's unlocked door...

OOC: Ok ready. Kotoki is joining, and waiting on one more person to request... Otherwise, were ready to go.
"A good defense is a good offense." -General George S. Patton

"I have a rendezvous with Death. At some disputed barricade, it may be He shall take my hand, and lead me into His dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with Death. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous." Part of 'Rendezvous with Death' by Alan Seeger
Orion Lorgan
The Nighthawk

Words: 9507
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby kotoki on December 9th, 2009, 4:16 am

The loud fish market attracted the attention of the young man. He was still getting use to being outside of the pits, and the strange blur of people still cause him anxiety when they brushed up against him in this crowded road. The stale smell of fish hung through out the air. Kotoki himself wasn't that considerate of fish. For to him, they had a strange taste and it was something that he didn't want to abide with. So he was just packed into all these people to get to the feeling of this outstretched area. He was still walking, watching in slight wonder at the fish that were up for sale, some were huge when a small boy placed something in his hand. Turning his gaze to the kid, who had a smile directed at him, which kotoki promptly frown back at confused. He had gotten the basic idea of pick pocket's were suppose to steal items, not give away.

Shrugging his shoulder and a bow with the head to the child, kotoki opened his palm. Lucky for him it wasn't sweaty, or it might have ruined the paper. Not sure if that would have been bad, kotoki open the vellum, which not explained the feel of it, which kinda like. He would have to buy more one day to just have around. Quickly scanning the paper he quickly placed it in his pocket. Takin a glance at the sun, kotoki considered his options. He didn't have a job, and his funds were getting tight on him. That thought overrode all his objections. Deciding to head to the appointed place, he took a few steps forward and stopped. Quickly moving his head in different directions, kotoki came to the conclusion that he didn't quite know where the appointed location was at.

Pondering on his predicament, kotoki choose a random direction, and headed off that way. Looking for anything useful, kotoki slid through the crowd. Now that he had a destination he couldn't waste time getting there. With a certain type of satisfaction hanging around him. Something that hadn't been earned yet, but it still felt like it should be there. He kept walking until he spied a certain person. A moderate looking whore. He always enjoyed there company and the way they saw the world. With little effort he caught her eye, and grinned toward her. She promptly stopped smiling at the effect of kotoki enlarged teeth. But he wouldn't let her get away "Tell me if you could, where would this" Taking out his paper, he glanced at it again to read the name "blackstone Warehouse" he asked this in a throaty growl. For his teeth made it slightly difficult to talk at times.

"Well, what do i get if i do answer the question" Not quite expecting this, kotoki gripped his sword in reflex, for it was a habbit of his to do so. The woman, her eyes widening in alarm, quickly stutter an scrambled version of it, but kotoki manage to understand most of it. Not sure where the sudden explanation came from. "Thank you" he replied, then wander off on the directions. Arriving at the warehouse, after varied adventures in town, kotoki waited off in a ally that seem deserted. Sitting on what seemed like a discarded barrel, he leaned back against the cold stones and waited till the appointed time happen.
The Tenacious thought of peace would drive me insane
kotoki
Player

Words: 6932
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2009, 2:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Devandre on December 10th, 2009, 6:21 am

A wonderful morning greets Devandre as he steps outside, an axe in hand. His breath can be seen leaving his mouth through the fabric covering his face. His cloak on and hood up to help keep out the cold and morning rays of sun. Stepping further out and turning in the direction, which he left a plump burlap sack the night before.

“You have been waiting along time to meet my axe,” talking to the sack near the back door, voice almost jolly, smug and monotone.
“Been a cold night, glad you didn’t run off on me” A low rumbling chuckle develops somewhere deep in his body, the man laughing at his own joke. A free hand grips the top of the sack; starting his short, calculated and cautious walk toward a stump dragging the sack with him. Cloak creeping along the earths surface, gripping it like fingers trying to get away, feet almost shuffling along the ground make it seem like he is a specter gliding over the ground.

“God you certainly are heavy, you have been fed well.” Arriving at his destination swinging the axe head down to embed itself in the stump with a thud. He turns his head right and left as if looking for something, but really listening and seeing if anything or one was around.

“Now lets try to do this in one blow shall we? A clean cut is always better.” Reaching into the burlap sack, carefully positioning its contents on the stump. Retrieving the axe, he wields it in both hands, “Now hold still it will only take a second.”

Slowly moving into a more stable stance, his cold blue purple eyes staying focused on the object of attention. His breathing becomes a little quicker, his arms slowly dragging the axe over the ground; soon bringing the axe up. He thinks to himself “I am going to chop you in two.”

With a loud grunt, arms swing the axe down making contact with a loud shlink and thud axe re-embedding itself in the stump. A slight high pitched squeaky is heard before a scurrying rattling noise.

Devandre looks down at the stump smiling under his veil, feeling accomplished. He knew he had made contact, feeling the jar as the sharp heavy blade cuts through the object. Cold lifeless eyes look down in the direction of the rattling noise, he identifies the sound to that of a rodent a rat. “Hmm trying to stay warm as well I see.” He says to the rat scurrying turning to follow its general direction by the sound toward his home and into the back entrance.
“Not any better in there I am afraid, but I do enjoy the company of rats” chuckling and setting up a second log. He notices a new sound as a neighbor walking the path down toward town; he turns in the general direction and waves. Not really caring or knowing if they waved back, he didn’t really care it is all an act.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Later inside of his home a fresh new fire lit in the hearth, a cup of pine needle tea in hand. He sits on the floor getting warmed by the flame, his guest not so far away from him. Stirring the tea with a knife, bringing the blade out and testing it for sharpness on his finger, sliding it and cutting himself slightly on a finger.
“Hmm a bit dull, maybe I should go have these sharpened professionally, what do you think?” Ears listening to the rat near the flames grooming himself, shifting the blade in his hands. In a swift movement the knife is hurled through the air impaling the rat to the floor, “You my guest will have the luxury of being breakfast, be glad that I stabbed you from the front. Only a true friends, stab you from the front” He chuckles to himself.

Later that afternoon

Devandre, off to find the local butcher, they know there blades better then anyone else. Cane in hand lightly tapping a safe path for walking, choosing to walk in the alleyways, away from the hustle and bustle of the market square and the sun. During his excursion through the potential sheep a young boy appears and steps to him, handing him a piece of paper.
“Oh what’s this now? A message?” Taking the paper, a free hand ruffles the boys hair. “Run along now you never know what psychos lurk in the alleyways,” said sweetly and sincerely.

Pocketing the paper for later amusement, thinking to himself “Probably some propaganda or religious bull.”

Arriving home late in the afternoon, the specter slides back into his house continuing to haunt it. The fire down to smoldering embers but soon back to a warm flame as he puts another log in with some kindling. His knives and dagger sharp as razor blades fit for any king who needs a close shave. Sitting down he remembers the paper handed to him, shuffling around finally finding it. Withdrawing it from the shadows covering his body, “Hmm now lets see what this is all about.”

Opening it and running his fingers over the message a few times, then a few more times as he can’t believe what is written on this paper. “Someone knows,” said softly. Standing up, almost in panic pacing to each of his windows, tripping on furniture that he knows is there. Drawing the dusty fabric closed wondering if he was followed. No he couldn’t of been followed he would of heard them, perhaps it is a coincidence. But he is not satisfied with that explanation, his mind battles over the possibilities until his answer becomes clear.

“I’ll just go and watch from the shadows, if it is someone I recognize from sunberth, I will have to kill them. What if they have spoken to others? No I can’t kill, just incapacitate them and bring them here. I will figure out the details later,” feeling his way around gathering some gear and supplies, blowing the dust off, most of the things have not been touched in seven years. “Maybe I will use a heat blade to get the information out. Yeah that’s the stuff, gag the poor soul while I brand him.”

Getting the paper and causally throwing it into the hearth, letting it blacken, curl, and burn like he wished his memories of his past would “Whoever you are pray I do not recognize you as an enemy.”
Last edited by Devandre on December 16th, 2009, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devandre
Player

Words: 39870
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Orion Lorgan on December 10th, 2009, 2:34 pm

OOC: Ok were ready Gos. Whenever your ready! :)
"A good defense is a good offense." -General George S. Patton

"I have a rendezvous with Death. At some disputed barricade, it may be He shall take my hand, and lead me into His dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath. I have a rendezvous with Death. And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous." Part of 'Rendezvous with Death' by Alan Seeger
Orion Lorgan
The Nighthawk

Words: 9507
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Devandre on December 13th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Clad in his usual clothing of dark, Devandre slithers in the shadows. It would seem the only sound he makes during his walk is the rhythmic tap of his cane. Sensing that he is close to Blackstone Warehouse he begins to walk toward some brush. Almost feeling the moonlight caresses him before sliding off as he slithers into the shadows. Soon finding a sturdy low tree he sits under it, completely unaware of anything. Overlooking the Warehouse, his cane at his side the dagger handle loosened in case of the need of a quick draw. Sitting in the darkness he focuses on the sounds of the night, but finding it slightly difficult to as he is tired from the days activities.
Last edited by Devandre on December 16th, 2009, 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on December 15th, 2009, 7:04 pm

When Orion dropped the paper, which was incredibly sloppy, another observer picked it up and read the contents. A dark brow raised and a faint smile played across strong lips. The scrap was dropped into the nearest brazier warming a nearby seller's booth and supervised until its vellum body was dissolved into flames.

Likewise, the other target, who consulted a woman he thoughtSyliras does not have open prostitution and where there are places selling sex, they are well hidden within stormhold and you must inquire deeply to find them. Knights would arrest anyone who was hawking their bodies on the streets. was a whore, was sloppy as well. The woman remembered his bestial features, the long teeth, and where he was going. She, of course, felt threatened by his hand on his sword, and promptly walked over and told the nearest Syliran Knight she could find that a rather feral probable kevlic was walking around Syliras. They took down her description and reassured her they'd be on the lookout for the creature and would question him to make sure he was tame enough to be allowed to roam freely in the streets. Word spread quickly, and the knights mobilized.

Devandre, however, was a whole lot smarter then the other two. The watcher, the one hoping to set up a new organization in Syliras, took note and decided several things were going to happen. First and foremost, they was going to allow the knights to raid the warehouse before the meeting ever happened. Sloppy work was sloppy and deserved a wrist slap for ignorance. Secondly the watcher was going to see how the first two handled the raid. The third man, the watcher would protect. For he was cautious and seemed to have potential. If the others showed an ounce of brains during the raid, the Watcher would pursue its original plans.

The warehouse wasn't a large place. It was a rather compact one story building with two entrances... a double set of large doors that slid open big enough to allow a wagon to drive through the center of it and out the other side. There were two windows, above each door, and a third small man door out front beside the big sliders. That man door let itself into a small office with one exit into the warehouse itself. There was no way up onto the roof from the inside, and the inside itself was rather empty of anything other than shadows. It looked to be a holding facility for ship cargo, though a fleet had just left port meaning the warehouse was empty until enough tradegoods would be gathered to load another ship. The warehouse was actually big enough for about three ships worth of cargo, but now it was just a swept clean empty warehouse. Blackstone was the name of one of the merchant families in the city.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When the call went out there might be a feral kelvic in Syliras harassing innocent women and threatening them with swords, the knights called a quick meeting. Those in the city quickly attended and the dark haired knight who had frowned so hard about the first man's littering (for Syliras was a clean city and littering was disallowed)... compared what the note read verses what the kelvic had asked the woman about.

Blackstone Warehouse. They had a time and a place, though they didn't know how many or who would be at the meeting. The knights circled the building, hours before it was time, and noted that none of the three men that showed up bothered to really scout the location or investigate the warehouse at all. None of them even bothered to look around. They were lazy, unaware, and only one tried to conceal himself in the shadows.

Having the building surrounded, twenty knights, fully trained in warfare and with a very pointed interest of keeping Syliras safe, were already in place. At midnight, rather than a mysterious figure stepping out to pay the men for some sort of 'hit' the knights were waiting. The leader, a knight called Aswal Kelton, stepped forth, his sword raised, flanked by his two assistants, and called out through the door of the warehouse. He was armed in lighter armor that was yet designed to deflect arrows.

"Halt. We have the warehouse surrounded. You cannot run because we have all the entrances covered, the doors, windows, and roof exits too. Come out, all of you, with your hands up displaying no weapons. No one will get hurt. We just want to ask you some questions. No one, as of yet, is under arrest or in trouble. But you are on private property, and you are trespassing."

The watcher was waiting too.. .to see what the three men did and how they reacted. This was their first test. And while The Watcher had high hopes for the man who liked his axe and the company of rats, she was uncertain about the other two.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Devandre on December 17th, 2009, 4:21 am

Sighing to himself he takes out an apple and his eating knife. His pack is relatively light, holding a change of face cloths, some dried fruits, nuts, and water skin. He is usually an opportunist killer, often time using objects found in the area to murder with. Relaxing back against the tree he begins to carve out apple wedges for himself.

Halfway through his meal he is startled by rustling and the sound of armor near by; now very alert he figures it was a set up. “Halt…”

Immediately recognizing the voice to belong to an Aswal Kelton, he is smooth with his movements locking the cane handle so that the dagger could not be pulled out easily. Not sure if the knights have spotted him or not he decides to be calm and eat his apple, no need to stab himself if it isn’t needed.

“No one, as of yet, is under arrest or in trouble. But you are on private property, and you are trespassing.”

These words brought Devandre to an almost peaceful state, thinking to himself not daring to say anything out loud, “Perfect if somehow these knights have caught wind of a meeting, they probably do not know the amount of people coming. Plus I have nothing that would link me to a meeting, I am just here by coincidence.”
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on December 28th, 2009, 8:36 am

Mod NoteI don't think they are going to respond, Devandre - Shall we continue?

When there was no response, the knights began searching the building. They were thorough, however, and Aswal Kelton soon came across Devandre carefully eating his apple and lounging around as if having not heard the order. The knight studied him carefully, walked forward, and asked carefully... "What are you doing here Sir? This is private property."

Kelton kept his eyes firmly on the eating knife, though he did not dismiss the man even though his eyes were covered. His hands were white, strangely so, like a Konti's. The knight wasn't certain about this... was this a nuit? Was this a strange konti throwback? He'd heard of such things, though he'd never seen one first hand.

The man waited, ready to react to the man's response if he had one. Devandre could also hear other knights approaching, as the building search was completed, so Kelton wouldn't be alone for long.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Devandre on December 28th, 2009, 8:01 pm

All though his outward appearance didn’t suggest it, Devandre is very nervous. Heart pounding as he hears the knights approaching closer, or at least he hopes they are knights.

“What are you doing here Sir…”

“Private property you say?” Chuckles a little turning his head in the general direction, “My my I did not mean to trespass.” Using the knife, he digs a little divot in the ground placing the apple core in it and covering it.

“Just because I can’t see it doesn’t mean others can’t, it may later on grow into something much bigger as long as someone noble keeps watering it. Are you a noble?”

Slowly, slower and less methodical then he would normally, feeling around for his pack and cane, feigning ignorance onto where they lay. Finding what he was searching for, putting his knife and any other supplies he had out away, he begins a stumbled ascent to a standing position aided by his cane.

“Forgive me if my question offends…” Brushing himself off, “If I could see you I would know instantly. If I could see I would know that I am trespassing,” genuinely chuckling now. Adjusting his mask to expose his eyes to the night, “It’s a cold night isn’t it? The air has been nipping my nose lately.” Rambling to himself as he waits for an answer from the lordship.
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

Next