Open The Smell of Fish

Loxcia makes her way down to the docks

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Smell of Fish

Postby Loxcia Campo on May 26th, 2021, 2:51 am

Kontinese

Common

Char

The World's End Grotto, Zeltiva

3rd of Spring 521 A.V, Midday

Loxcia, had slept for two days straight. Maybe a third if her stomach hadn't waken her from her slumber. She felt comfortable. Even if everything in her room was; Basic, it was still her own. She had no worries. She could wake up when she wanted, sleep, eat, shyke when she wanted. There was no one to tell her what to do or when to do it. Finally, she was free, from everything but her hunger. She had a window in her room, two actually. She'd been blessed with the side of the building were the windows were clustered more together, so she opened one to keep her cool in the night and apparently the next day as well. Joints popped as she stretched. The bed itself wasn't big, but for the Konti's size it seemed right.

There was a breeze that often visited her, it had been doing so throughout her slumber, sometimes greeting her whilst she went to use the toiletries. This time it returned once more carrying the scent of the sea and of fish which in turn sent her stomach into a frenzy. She tried to ignore it's groans of need, but there was fish. A yawn, another stretch. she lay in nude. Her head was a bit groggy, she was less dizzy than before which was a good thing, but she did also have a slight headache. Maybe some food and fresh air would be good.

Pulling her bed sheet wrapping it around herself she moved to the door, the bed linen dragging behind. She opened it just a tad first, not wanting to risk someone getting a peek at her vulnerability then opened it wider when sure the coast was clear. Reaching out she grabbed the bucket of water that sat by her room. The staff of the Grotto always left one complementary bucket of water for washing. She hadn't been here long enough to know if they switched the buckets out, or if this was just the same water from yesterday. Either way she was grateful that she didn't have to make the trip herself especially in her current state. Another roar from her stomach telling her to hurry up.

Digging into her sack, she removed a cloth and soap for bathing, and brush for her hair. She still felt nauseas but was not planning to vomit. A shudder went down her back, a taste of the kelp beer reminder her tongue of the experience. Dipping the cloth into the water first she then lathered creating a white froth that settled at the rim of the bucket. Moving over to the wash basin she sat in it and began to wash her face first, following with a light rinse. Then her breasts, arms, abdomen, privates, legs, feet. She didn't like over-soaping the water because the suds would dry up her scales, so she lathered enough to her liking and made sure to scrub diligently. After a good scrub she raised the bucket over her head and let the water wash the soap away.

Brushing her hair dry she stepped out to fetch her clothing. Being that she washed her body everyday, she might as well her clothes to, another reason why she'd left the window open. As expected the sun had done its duty. Another whiff of seawater and fish tickled the brim of her nose, pulling her asking her to follow. Undergarments, a simple shirt and pants, and her boots now she was ready to go. She then realizing that if she wanted fish, she would need a fishing pole, which means bait, and other supplies. She really didn't want to spend anymore unnecessary miza, at least not until she got a job. Even as colorful and stylish some citizens of Zeltiva dress, she has continued to fight the temptation to splurge.

Grabbing her bow and arrows, she departed thinking on what she'd figure out. She headed throught the hall and down stair in to the tavern. It was midday so there was a surge of patrons coming for either the food or drinks. The tavern looked even better than she could remember the last time she'd seen it. Different smells mixed the room as food was being cooked in the kitchen.

"Nice to see you up and alert. Another day and we were going to kick the door in haha."

An employee joked. Loxcia gave a faint smile.

"Did you want to order something for lunch? We're pretty busy right now but we can still get you a meal, maybe a kelp beer?"

Her stomach nearly flipped at the mention of that horrid drink, not even, concoction. Holding back vomit she shook her head in refusal.

- Question though, could you point me in the direction of the ocean?

" Ah looking to go for a swim eh? Or maybe a fisher?"

Loxcia only gave a smile.

"Well you go outside and head East. When you see the boats and smell the fish you'll know you're there."

With a nod for a thank you she moved on her way. Stepping outside she looked both ways. The server did say to head east, and since this is was west street, she should just head back in the direction she first came. It really wasn't a far walk once she thought about it. Plust it gave her the chance to actually see the Zeltivian culture. And so her decicion was made.
Loxcia Campo
Player

Words: 60037
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2021, 11:47 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Smell of Fish

Postby Loxcia Campo on May 27th, 2021, 12:36 am

West street was busier as she remembered as well, there were way more people now than before. Possibly because she arrived earlier in the morning. It was warm outside, not too hot or cold but just right. The sun was at it's highest peak looking ready to tip over to begin an end to the day. She walked to the end of the platform away from the entrance of the Grotto. A whine from the horse stables in response to her boots, thumping nearby. She recalled walking this way, down from the area of her 'incident'. She could also see the store where she'd purchased her bow so that meant she just had to head down the road.

She stood on the roads edge like a child waiting to enter the water. Her second attempt at trying to traverse the thick crowd. At first glance it seemed as if everyone were randomly walking in each direction, but the more she watched she caught on the the rhythm. If a person were heading west, up the road. They would walk on the right side. If they were going East down toward the water, they would walk the left side of the road. There was also a thin gap in between used for passing and would widen occasionally when something or someone large had to occupy the space. All she had to do was keep up.

Without thinking she stepped into the crowd heading west. She wouldn't want to just start in the opposite direction and risk running into someone so she would walk back up the road and then. With two side shuffles she found herself standing still with some space. The road was thick with people of different sizes and colors. It was still a lot for her to take in for a second experience. More comfortable now, she quickly got into step and began back down the road going east. And adjustment of her strap and bow so they rested more gently on her shoulders. She'd passed the Grotto once more only now from the opposing side, for once seeing it in all its whole, a different perspective when seeing it from afar. It was truly a gem, beautiful. She tried to search for her room specifically but with the flow of the crowd couldn't beam in.

She actually liked walking. It was calming, to be around people and just see the surrounding areas. Normally her views consisted of wood. Wooden planks, wooden buckets, wooden barrels even the occasional wooden leg...Or two. There was also iron, as well as the 'lucky hole' as her slave mates would call it. It was just a circular hole in the ship where a cannon would go. Sometimes, novice slavers would "acquire" ships, gut them out and fill them with cages. So some cages would have windows to look out at the ocean. Rarely there'd be a bird signaling them when they were close to land. A new city to be traded in.

It wasn't before long when more buildings came into view. They looked nice; Not as nice as West street, but nice. Nervousness taking hold she steered out of the crowd and towards the sand covered area where the terrain changed into beach. The sand was soft, the tide bringing in a soft breeze. Relaxing. She moved closer to the edge of the shoreline as it began to expand, opening up to the waters as the employee of the Grotto directed. She loved the smell of the ocean it always reminded her of home, of mom. The thought brought her goal back to mind. She's her to track her mother. Taking a pause she dropped to her knees. The sounds of the tide bringing in the waves moved through her, filling the wells of her eyes.

-Avalis, Laviku. Thy god and goddess rulers of the oceans and of visions and divination I give thanks. I-g-give praise. Thank you for I am free..I no longer weep in the night, nor sleep on cold floors. My stomach full! Thirst...Quenched. Days it's been since my flesh has been torn and split. Healed by you I am, protected. I give thanks. Hear my cries, my tears as they fall to the sand as the waves for are they not one of the same water? Were they not created by the same god? Praise Laviku and all his glory. For he had carried me ship by ship across the waters of mizahar. Ensuring my safe passagge. Carried me from the ch-chains, of my captors to the shores of Zeltiva where I praise he.

And oh I cry! For to be seen by Avalis for she and only she truly knows the path that I walk and has seen where I have been as to where I am going. For it was she who saw what I would endure and that I would endure it and continue to do so for she has seen it. For as my m-m-other was my mother she is my mother! And my mother's mother! Oh Avalis I pray you watch over me with thy sight and bless with thy protection. Oh how I give glory to you both. Comfort me, protect me, give me understanding and wisdom. Amen

And the tears fell as the rain unto cobblestone. Pain rested throughout her body, memories coursed through her skin re-opening her wounds. Tearing each scar open as it were fresh. Each blow ever given had been felt as she'd been beaten down into the sand by her own will, she felt hands all over as if trying to take something from her. Her body hurt all over but she suffer not a blow, and she wept. She did not know how long she lay there nor did she care. There was a time for weeping and hers was now.

Picking herself up dusting the sand from her clothes she began to press on. The beach was calm. A weight had been lifted from her heart and a veil removed from her shoulders. Sand threatened her eye as she wiped her face clear of the tears and snot. Before long she had seen a shop awkwardly placed for it's location being almost in the water. The entrance would be up on the street so she made her way back up to the main road. From the outside it looked like a normal shop, given its awkward local. The signs read 'Balshu's Bait and Tackle shop. Just what she was looking for.

Inside the store was surprisingly very, very neat and organized. Everything had a place. Naturally she looked to the right not seeing the shop owner, but instead fishing nets galor and other supplies and accessories. In the middle of the shop sat two display cases, one holding fishing rods and the other bait. The shop was filled with the oceans scent and Loxcia loved it. It wasn't until she finished her scan around and seen the owner that she knew Laviku himself sent her here.

"Hello, and welcome to my shop. My name is Balshu, how may I assist you."

She nearly pissed herself from sheer excitement. Was this a real Charoda? He was beautiful. His light blue skin speckled with dark blue spots and black eyes sat in his smooth face and crowned skin. She wanted to speak but her mind was still in shock so all she could do is smile.

"Yes, praise Laviku for connecting us both created from the sea." Balshu spoke seeing the amazement on the patrons face.

- Hello, I am Loxcia She finally was she able to speak.

" Oh you speak Char? Impressive Konti"

- I don't know much char I'm sorry. Sh admitted not wanted to make a fool of herself.

"Ah, still though to know some of the language is better than none. How can I help today?"

- A fishing rod please?

" Is it safe to assume you'll need gear too? I can set you up with a fisherman's kit for ten gold miza. The pole will cost only one gold miza"

That would be eleven gold miza total. She could spare that. Digging into her leather sack she removed the required miza gently placing them into his hands. The exchange complete, the Charoda moved from behind the counter motioning to the row of fishing poles. They were obviously hand carved to gauge his skill and did look as if they were suitable tools. He gave a smile of proudness, she could tell he took pride in his craft. Another reason why she didn't question the usefulness of his fishing rods. Honestly she picked the first one her hand touched, but to have a fishing pole hand carved by a Charoda meant the world to the Konti.

"Is there anything esle I could help you with?" He asked.

Loxcia shook her head whilst placing her newly bought fisherman's kit into her sack.

"Well then I wish you well on your journey. I don't know how familiar you are with Zeltiva, but if you are a tourist, there is a temple dedicated to Laviku not to far from here." He pointed in a direction for her to follow. She kept it in her mental notes. That being said she knew where she would be visiting soon. Abiding him a good day, she left fishing pole in hand.
Loxcia Campo
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Smell of Fish

Postby Loxcia Campo on May 28th, 2021, 4:56 am

Kontinese
Common
Char

She returned to the street, now filled with less travelers than before. Instinctively her head snapped into a direction nearly breaking from sheer speed. A strong inhale filled her nostrils with the smell of burning scales and smoke. Her tongue was instantly flooded with saliva, her mouth watering and stomach reminding her of the reason they've travelled thus far to begin with. Swallowing the liquid that filled her mouth she began to search. East street looked a bit more 'dull' than West street. Yes it had similar qualities; the building architecture, clothing style, even some behaviors though similar were dull in comparison to the other side of the line.

The more she noticed, the more she became self aware of her surroundings. She didn't like the feeling East street gave off. It was as if someone was waiting for an opportunity to walk off with her belongings soon as she place them down. A readjustment of her things to ensure they were safe and secure. She didn't know what is was, call it a slave's intuition, she just had a way of knowing if trouble resided in places. And though there were a many smiling faces and sounds of laughter she could feel cold eyes upon her. Maybe it was because of the new area and people. She did have to get used to this new lifestyle. Brushing it off, she continued on her way. The more she continued, the more she noticed how 'different' East street was.

She'd passed a few houses that looked abandoned by normal standards, only to notice the tops of small heads with beady eyes peeping out of windows. She also came across another building with women of different backgrounds clustered around the entrance enticing men to enter. Avalis knows what went on in there. One of the woman sporting two sets of arms and a very thin top noticed the Konti's wondering eyes and a gave a wink of her own causing Loxcias face to redden suddenly. Flustered she kept her head down a continued forward. The people here seemed more criminalized compared to what she'd now grown accustomed to seeing in her last few days experiencing Zeltiva. She wasn't surprised as much, no matter where she would have ended up, she was sure there would have been a rough area somewhere.

Walking, looking at the ground for a chime she'd gotten caught up in the habit of counting the pebbles she passed along the road. She even went as far as singling out the unique and distinguished ones and starting a count for them as well before the sound of water turning into steam captured her attention. The sign read 'Fish market' and that it was. Pounds upon pounds of fish lay stacked piled atop of one another, some dead, others still struggling to life. All sharing the same flame stricken fate.

A lick of the lips with a smack for a signature. She had half a mind to jump into the middle of the stall and begin filling her sack with as much she could fit inside. Clearly a bad idea, but worth the thought. She slipped her hand into the leather tote giving her miza pouch a feel before quickly changing her mind. There were a lot of people over there what if there wasn't enough fish to buy? How many people were already ahead of her? Would she even get to decide what fish she'd receive to eat?

Deeming it more a hassle to wait and be disappointed she moved on deciding to take her chances on her own. The docks weren't that far anyways now being able to see them just a distance away. The layout of the city did confuse her a tad, something she'd learn over time. For now though she was satisfied with not being lost. There were a many boats, just as her director directed. Some were big, others small the majority being used for fishing. The mid-sized ships stay docked and un-moving besides the occasional rock of the tides. The larger ships were further out in the water, anchored. Some had lights on them, others were dead as night. They all made her uneasy. Thinking to be this close to the ship she escaped from gave her goosebumps. Thoughts tried to invade her mind but she quickly shook them away. She didn't come here to sulk in the past, she came here to fish.

She walked the docks for a tick looking for a place less occupied. There were people already here, naturally. Sailors, shipmates, crew hands, the common traveler appeared here and there. Loxcia personally just didn't do people, even before her slave days. People were just complicated. She'd managed to find a space towards the end of a pier where no boat had yet docked, and no people had yet claimed and hence made it here fishing post. She sat at the edge legs hanging freely tempted to swing from pure enjoyment. Readily she placed her sack down at her side securing it with a smack before diving into it for her fishing kit. It came equipped with fishing line, hooks, bait, lures and weights even. She'd never fished before in her life, but had enough intelligence to see how to set everything up. The fishing pole was carved from wood. It was strong and could bend with ease which she assumed meant it could support some weight, which meant bigger fish.

It was painted blue with the natural tan wood color dancing across it in some places. A small ring went through the wood about a quarter length away from the tip of the pole and the fishing line hung from it connected by a knot. The line was pulled taught and wrapped around the base of the pole for traveling, and had a weight and hook already equipped. All she would have to do was bait and cast. Opening her bait container without thinking, she was met with an awfully rancid smell. Old fish. She nearly vomit, the smell bringing back memories of her 'beer' experience. Pulling herself together she took hold of the slimy carcass thanking the gods it wasn't alive. It smelled horrid and kept slipping in her fingers whilst she tried to put in on the hook.

-Shyke

She let out pricking her finger with the hook more than once. Why was it so difficult to do? A few more failed attempts frustrated her. A thought to push all her newly bought fishing equipment into the water and walking away quickly dissipated. She came here to fish, and damnit she was going to fish. Holding the bait and hook like a thread to a needle, she focused. Blocking out all sounds, and smells she inched her hands closer, closer, closer until she could see the hook press against the minnows flesh. She gave a few nudges, feeling the tip of the hook press up against her other finger. With force she pushed the hook through its body getting halfway through before going all the way with a crunch. Her stomach flipped at the sound. Still, she managed to do it.

Ecstatic over her accomplishment she rocked with happiness. Giving her work one last look over she tossed it over into the water with a plop. A tug signaling it had reached it's depth. She held the pole in one hand and investigated her fishing kit with the other. Her bait consisted of mainly minnows and brim with few worms, crickets and other creepy crawlies. It also came with a handful of hooks ranging in sizes as well as weights of matching caliber. The lures came in different styles and shapes, some resembling small fish while others were meant to dance and draw attention near.

Finally to finish the kit there was a mid-size roll of standard fishing line. Looking at how this pole was made, she would have to precut the line based on how deep she wanted to fish. More line for deeper waters, and less line for shallow creeks and streams. The standard length that was currently on her pole seemed to be decent for the most part, but with new locations and fish she knew she'd need to experiment. At this point, all she need now was to wait for lunch to bite. She sat day dreaming of the unfortunate fish to want a snack.
Loxcia Campo
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Smell of Fish

Postby Loxcia Campo on May 28th, 2021, 8:06 am

Kontinese
Common
Char

She sat for what seemed like bells, patience was not her strong suit. She'd often jostle the pole a bit in a way to signal the fish that her bait was lying in wait, ready to be gobbled up so that she herself may eat without spending miza tonight. But alas she received no answer besides the waves slowly carrying her line back and forth rocking the already dead minnow to sleep. Every so often she'd glance out over into the water halfway enjoying the view, and halfway keeping those ships in sight. The fear of one of them turning towards shore and pointing her out nipped at the back of her neck as voices argued whether she were safe or not. A shake of the head would clear them. She returned her attention to her front. Staring at the end of the pole watching for any sign of a dip or pull in it's strait form.

Maybe it wasn't a good time to be fishing. The winter season did just past, and thought the shoreline was almost completely clear, the deeper waters still had some ice in it which made it difficult for some boats to make it to the docking area. Could it be too cold to fish? She remembered in Mura they had fish year round, and seaweed. This wasn't Mura though, and that was years ago now that she thought about it. No, there was way too much fish on at that one stand for there not to be any fish in the ocean. Maybe they overfished and that's why she's not catching any. All possibilities crossed her mind. So much so that she didn't see the slight tugging on her fishing pole until it nearly leapt from her hand. Surprisingly she caught it in the last moments before it was lost forever and strained to pull whatever it was on the other side.

The pole bent drastically almost making a complete hook shape as she pulled arching her back and heaving. Onlookers edged her on making empty wagers on what could be on her line.

" C'mon lass, put yer legs into it!"

"Bend ya knees! Ya knees!"

"I bet it's a big one mommy!"

"Shush child let her fish now."

At one point it looked as if the pole would snap. Not wanting that to happen she gave way some allowing the pole to level itself out before putting anymore force into it.

"There ya go, tire em out. Give em a fight."

She wanted to tell them to shut up, but any advice was helpful because she had no idea as to what she was doing. Listening to the jumbled voices for advice she took a breath and held it, creating a mean look upon her face. Back straightened, knees bent a lurch forward before pulling back with all her might. It seemed as if she were pulling something up, feeling the line get lighter and lighter, lighter. Before she knew it "Thwiipp" The line snapped and she was falling, falling back. Her feet were blind, her arms exaggerated she tried to catch herself by setting her heel down on the wooden planks to which it was foiled and offset by the strap of her sack who in turn took the momentum of her fall and launched itself over the edge of the pier into the depths below.

-Petch

Was the only word she could get out before her elbow connected with the floor letting off a loud "THUD" before she rolled off into the water after her belongings. She jolted with energy as soon as she touched the water. By Laviku it was freezing. She could feel bumps forming on her scales from the temperature. She wouldn't be able to stay there long, not that she would need too seeing her sack float down to the shallow floor of the ocean. A sigh of relief, luckily everything in it either had some weight to it, or able to get wet so she didn't suffer much of a loss. Quickly she dove after it kicking her legs in rhythm, making sure to keep her feet straight. Swimming would have been much easier without her boots, but the weight from them helped her sink faster to her sack. As soon as it was in reach she snatched it, immediately aware of the new weight it carried from being submerged.

Removing her boots placing them inside her sack whilst under water she stretched her toes. Cracking them allowing them to stretch and breath. She gave a few practice kicks allowing her webbed appendages to be reintroduced into their natural environment. Gods it had been ages since she swam for fun. She thought about swimming around for a bit but the cold recommended otherwise. Another day she guessed as she began her ascension back to the surface. All was going well until she hit something, hard, and cold. She hadn't seen it coming and had no time to brace, swimming slowly but still face first into the block of ice. Trying to keep calm she placed an arm out in front of her to feel the massive object blocking her way.

That was one thing she hated about swimming in the Winter season, the ice. Because of how bright the sun was, and the constant motion of the water, it would sometimes move and camouflaged the ice making it hard to resurface in the same area. Not knowing they local waters, she'd obviously moved further than expected and had come across that very enigma. Still though she didn't panic. She was a Konti and could breath underwater as if it were air. A human or race that did not have that ability or gills for the standard would find themselves in a hefty predicament. That being said, this bone chilling coldness was something she was not built to endure for long periods of time. Keeping her mind distracted she continued move, slower than before, arm stretched feeling ahead for anymore blockages.

She did realize the more she went into this direction the colder it got, which meant she had to be moving away from the shore where the waters would be warmer. She need to get a beat on where she was exactly. Pulling her sack up she used it as a counterweight to push off giving herself a slight boost whilst rising to the surface. Hand still taking lead she was instantly met by probably the coldest piece of ice she'd come across. It was so cold it nearly burned. Keeping to her mind she pushed on swimming with her legs and climbing with her hand until feeling the warmer air as she burst from the depths, a crowd of on lookers cheering her on. Thankful they didn't have to go and fetch a lost soul from Lavikus domain.

The group had caught her by surprise and startled her a bit, but nothing scared her more than the blood curling scream she heard. No one else had heard it over their cheering, but from her position it was very distinctive. It came from the East, from the water. She'd turned around to see if she could hear it again but couldn't pick up anything between the growing crowd and water lodged in her ears. She definitely heard it thought. It vibrated through her bones, resonated in her heart. She knew that type of scream. It was the scream of bloodied floors, of dark days and darker nights. It was the scream of dozens of fists and hands beating and grabbing at their desires. The scream of lives being pulled away, of flesh being ripped, hair torn from the scalp, and it came from the ships. She stayed frozen in fear. The coldness of the water only a memory now, the chattering of teeth, shivering of lips, the feeling of smallness. That wasn't the cold, it was the slavers. They were here. In a city that she thought was safe from their vicious grasp. She should have known better. She'd been with them for thirteen years, SHE should have knew better than to think that she could get away. No, she wasn't going back.

Quickly turning heel she swam back as fast as her legs would carry. She heaved struggling to keep her breathing under control. Would she be the first Konti to ever die of drowning? Imagine how that would sound to the masses. A joke, she would be a petching joke. She'd thrown the strap of her sack around her neck now using all her limbs to reach the shore. Her arms burned, it felt as if the shore were miles away with each stroke. She couldn't breath, gasping for air in short breaths. She needed to stay calm. She tried to focus on her kicks but between the coldness of the water and her own mind working against her she had little success. She was going under, she was panicking. Her head struggled to stay above water, and she was too frantic to realize that she could breath regardless of the level of her head. Her body tiring out, her flails becoming less with each throw, she thought that this was it. That she would pass out from stress and they would find her floating if a fish didn't make a snack of her.

Before she knew it a strong grip took hold of her forearm, pulling her from the water. In one instant she was grateful, the next fearful in not knowing who or what was pulling her from the water. Following her instinct she chose both fight and flight grabbing hold of what she could only guess was her fishing pole and bringing it around in an arc as a lion tamer did in his act. She didn't know if she hit anyone or not, but soon as she felt the hold loosen she bolted. Barefoot possessions in hand, away from East street and the Sailors guild. Away from the bait and tackle shop, away from the brothel and sketchy buildings. Most importantly away from the ships, the slavers, the water, and that dreadful horrid scream. Loxcia ran untils he reached the Grotto and didn't stop until she was in her room. Wet, cold, afraid and alone. She wanted her mother, she wanted to go home. To wake up and have the last thirteen years of her life be a dream but no, this was reality, this was real. Eventually she would fall asleep and wake back up and still be here. Running, hiding, always looking over her shoulder. But for now she sit at the head of her basic bed, in her basic room, drenched in her basic clothes. She would not leave the window open tonight. Instead, she pull the covers over her head and wept.
Loxcia Campo
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Smell of Fish

Postby Loxcia Campo on May 28th, 2021, 8:06 am

Kontinese
Common
Char

She sat for what seemed like bells, patience was not her strong suit. She'd often jostle the pole a bit in a way to signal the fish that her bait was lying in wait, ready to be gobbled up so that she herself may eat without spending miza tonight. But alas she received no answer besides the waves slowly carrying her line back and forth rocking the already dead minnow to sleep. Every so often she'd glance out over into the water halfway enjoying the view, and halfway keeping those ships in sight. The fear of one of them turning towards shore and pointing her out nipped at the back of her neck as voices argued whether she were safe or not. A shake of the head would clear them. She returned her attention to her front. Staring at the end of the pole watching for any sign of a dip or pull in it's strait form.

Maybe it wasn't a good time to be fishing. The winter season did just past, and thought the shoreline was almost completely clear, the deeper waters still had some ice in it which made it difficult for some boats to make it to the docking area. Could it be too cold to fish? She remembered in Mura they had fish year round, and seaweed. This wasn't Mura though, and that was years ago now that she thought about it. No, there was way too much fish on at that one stand for there not to be any fish in the ocean. Maybe they overfished and that's why she's not catching any. All possibilities crossed her mind. So much so that she didn't see the slight tugging on her fishing pole until it nearly leapt from her hand. Surprisingly she caught it in the last moments before it was lost forever and strained to pull whatever it was on the other side.

The pole bent drastically almost making a complete hook shape as she pulled arching her back and heaving. Onlookers edged her on making empty wagers on what could be on her line.

" C'mon lass, put yer legs into it!"

"Bend ya knees! Ya knees!"

"I bet it's a big one mommy!"

"Shush child let her fish now."

At one point it looked as if the pole would snap. Not wanting that to happen she gave way some allowing the pole to level itself out before putting anymore force into it.

"There ya go, tire em out. Give em a fight."

She wanted to tell them to shut up, but any advice was helpful because she had no idea as to what she was doing. Listening to the jumbled voices for advice she took a breath and held it, creating a mean look upon her face. Back straightened, knees bent a lurch forward before pulling back with all her might. It seemed as if she were pulling something up, feeling the line get lighter and lighter, lighter. Before she knew it "Thwiipp" The line snapped and she was falling, falling back. Her feet were blind, her arms exaggerated she tried to catch herself by setting her heel down on the wooden planks to which it was foiled and offset by the strap of her sack who in turn took the momentum of her fall and launched itself over the edge of the pier into the depths below.

-Petch

Was the only word she could get out before her elbow connected with the floor letting off a loud "THUD" before she rolled off into the water after her belongings. She jolted with energy as soon as she touched the water. By Laviku it was freezing. She could feel bumps forming on her scales from the temperature. She wouldn't be able to stay there long, not that she would need too seeing her sack float down to the shallow floor of the ocean. A sigh of relief, luckily everything in it either had some weight to it, or able to get wet so she didn't suffer much of a loss. Quickly she dove after it kicking her legs in rhythm, making sure to keep her feet straight. Swimming would have been much easier without her boots, but the weight from them helped her sink faster to her sack. As soon as it was in reach she snatched it, immediately aware of the new weight it carried from being submerged.

Removing her boots placing them inside her sack whilst under water she stretched her toes. Cracking them allowing them to stretch and breath. She gave a few practice kicks allowing her webbed appendages to be reintroduced into their natural environment. Gods it had been ages since she swam for fun. She thought about swimming around for a bit but the cold recommended otherwise. Another day she guessed as she began her ascension back to the surface. All was going well until she hit something, hard, and cold. She hadn't seen it coming and had no time to brace, swimming slowly but still face first into the block of ice. Trying to keep calm she placed an arm out in front of her to feel the massive object blocking her way.

That was one thing she hated about swimming in the Winter season, the ice. Because of how bright the sun was, and the constant motion of the water, it would sometimes move and camouflaged the ice making it hard to resurface in the same area. Not knowing they local waters, she'd obviously moved further than expected and had come across that very enigma. Still though she didn't panic. She was a Konti and could breath underwater as if it were air. A human or race that did not have that ability or gills for the standard would find themselves in a hefty predicament. That being said, this bone chilling coldness was something she was not built to endure for long periods of time. Keeping her mind distracted she continued move, slower than before, arm stretched feeling ahead for anymore blockages.

She did realize the more she went into this direction the colder it got, which meant she had to be moving away from the shore where the waters would be warmer. She need to get a beat on where she was exactly. Pulling her sack up she used it as a counterweight to push off giving herself a slight boost whilst rising to the surface. Hand still taking lead she was instantly met by probably the coldest piece of ice she'd come across. It was so cold it nearly burned. Keeping to her mind she pushed on swimming with her legs and climbing with her hand until feeling the warmer air as she burst from the depths, a crowd of on lookers cheering her on. Thankful they didn't have to go and fetch a lost soul from Lavikus domain.

The group had caught her by surprise and startled her a bit, but nothing scared her more than the blood curling scream she heard. No one else had heard it over their cheering, but from her position it was very distinctive. It came from the East, from the water. She'd turned around to see if she could hear it again but couldn't pick up anything between the growing crowd and water lodged in her ears. She definitely heard it thought. It vibrated through her bones, resonated in her heart. She knew that type of scream. It was the scream of bloodied floors, of dark days and darker nights. It was the scream of dozens of fists and hands beating and grabbing at their desires. The scream of lives being pulled away, of flesh being ripped, hair torn from the scalp, and it came from the ships. She stayed frozen in fear. The coldness of the water only a memory now, the chattering of teeth, shivering of lips, the feeling of smallness. That wasn't the cold, it was the slavers. They were here. In a city that she thought was safe from their vicious grasp. She should have known better. She'd been with them for thirteen years, SHE should have knew better than to think that she could get away. No, she wasn't going back.

Quickly turning heel she swam back as fast as her legs would carry. She heaved struggling to keep her breathing under control. Would she be the first Konti to ever die of drowning? Imagine how that would sound to the masses. A joke, she would be a petching joke. She'd thrown the strap of her sack around her neck now using all her limbs to reach the shore. Her arms burned, it felt as if the shore were miles away with each stroke. She couldn't breath, gasping for air in short breaths. She needed to stay calm. She tried to focus on her kicks but between the coldness of the water and her own mind working against her she had little success. She was going under, she was panicking. Her head struggled to stay above water, and she was too frantic to realize that she could breath regardless of the level of her head. Her body tiring out, her flails becoming less with each throw, she thought that this was it. That she would pass out from stress and they would find her floating if a fish didn't make a snack of her.

Before she knew it a strong grip took hold of her forearm, pulling her from the water. In one instant she was grateful, the next fearful in not knowing who or what was pulling her from the water. Following her instinct she chose both fight and flight grabbing hold of what she could only guess was her fishing pole and bringing it around in an arc as a lion tamer did in his act. She didn't know if she hit anyone or not, but soon as she felt the hold loosen she bolted. Barefoot possessions in hand, away from East street and the Sailors guild. Away from the bait and tackle shop, away from the brothel and sketchy buildings. Most importantly away from the ships, the slavers, the water, and that dreadful horrid scream. Loxcia ran untils he reached the Grotto and didn't stop until she was in her room. Wet, cold, afraid and alone. She wanted her mother, she wanted to go home. To wake up and have the last thirteen years of her life be a dream but no, this was reality, this was real. Eventually she would fall asleep and wake back up and still be here. Running, hiding, always looking over her shoulder. But for now she sit at the head of her basic bed, in her basic room, drenched in her basic clothes. She would not leave the window open tonight. Instead, she pull the covers over her head and wept.
Loxcia Campo
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes