[Flashback] Awaken These Hands [Gural]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Azeran on March 13th, 2011, 6:15 pm

65th of Summer, AV 508

Azeran walked in slow circles within the Gideon arena. Today, it was empty. Well, mostly empty. Azeran paced around the dusty arena, the stench of blood and sweat was evident, the walls at one end was marked with the red liquid, dried up, but yet to be cleaned off by hand or elements. Azeran was always oddly fond of the smell of blood. Perhaps it was the killing nature he always felt that caused the scent to be more of an enticing aroma rather than a repulsive or sickening sense. He inhaled slowly, exhaled slower, taking in that smell until he was used to it, smelled it no longer. Azeran had a date today, his little brother and he were to train together. Azeran, roughly twenty years the elder, was pleased with his younger sibling's natural combat prowess. In many ways he was better than Azeran. That's why it was no longer, Azeran training his little brother, Gural. No, now it was Azeran training with his little brother, Gural. In fact, Azeran almost feared that he would be surpassed someday, and not because old age would infect him, but because Gural was just better. It wouldn't be the worst thing to happen, but still, there was a bit of pride to be had in being the superior.

At least Azeran had a son. The thought made Azeran smile, pride that was only slightly damaged by brooding over his little brother's skill was returned with surplus. Azeran was higher amongst the Akalak, something he had always wanted from Riverfall. He wasn't great, not yet, but he held some status, if only some. Azeran refused to tease his brother about mating, but was never afraid to question, suggest, or pressure his brother into it. It would be better for their father at least (who was already high up because Azeran gave him a grandson). Azeran sat down on that once-blood soaked ground. It was just dust now. Azeran gave himself to meditation. His eyes closed, his breathing slowed, paced itself, became deep yet softer. His mind focused on a center point in his mind, a darkness. It was nothing more than a color, black, the void of color. The breeze faded from his senses as if the wind itself ceased to exist. The smell of blood that tickled his nose disappeared, as if it too was gone. He felt the air entering his lungs, his bare blue-skinned chest rising and falling slowly. He was ready. A clear mind would keep Koarhal in check, not that he had much of a chance to lose it against his own brother. It was the inferior races of men that particularly angered Koarhal, and they weren't even enjoyed by Azeran. But an Akalak, no, his own blood, not even Koarhal would want to kill him. That much Azeran was certain of.
Azeran
Dead

Words: 36827
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2010, 1:31 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Gural on March 14th, 2011, 11:40 am

OOCYou are free to start the fight in the next post, and we can talk while we fight, or we can do the talking first… your choice. :)

While walking slowly towards the Gideon Arena, Gural seemed to dislike rushing even while he was late. He shrugged to himself, Azeran was much more patient than he was… hopefully. In any case, knowing his older brother, he knew that Azeran would hardly notice the time zoom by. His pace lessened even more as another voice appeared in his head: “Azeran again, eh? Why don’t you let me out so I and Koarhal can settle it?” the voice echoed for a moment before Gural simply added: “I don’t need you cerulest. You will be allowed to watch, no more, no less” he could feel Corak trying to speak again, but he shut him up by raising his hand.

“You have no power here, not like this…” he spoke opening his mouth, in order to further the example of control the cerulean was under. Rage of the caged one rose slowly, before it subsided in a cold voice: “Control or no control, if you break one of our bones again, I am hijacking the body… Oh, let’s hope you break some!” the voice then died out with something that sounded like laughter.

While entering the building, it did not take him long to notice where Azeran was. He was meditating again, and that made the little brother smirk. He was not weak, yet he had trouble containing Koarhal at times. It was… illogical, and he always had trouble understanding emotion based relations; with him and Corak it was simple – he who had more power, ruled the body.

Still not speaking to his brother, he stopped about a dozen feet across the floor from him. He slid his shoes off slowly using his legs, while his arms were busy stretching. Once his upper body was warmed up, he started loosening up the muscles in his legs. It was all finished within a couple of chimes, but he could already feel the increase of mobility in his body. He teased Corak slowly: “You know, if he mentions mating again, I just might let you out… and perhaps let you have some fun” his voice was quickly replaced by another, more vibrant: “You lying jakri, don’t you try to deceive me, don’t you dare…” there the voice turned into a growl.

Finally he called out to his meditating brother: “Azeran! Get your lazy butt off the sand, so we can start this!” he sighed, hoping that the man had heard him, lost in thought as he was. Gural continued regardless: “You really should limber up a bit before we start, I imagine you do not favor a pulled out muscle over a healthy one?” he was about to continue the teasing when he was cut off.

“Will you hit him already?!!” Corak was getting restless as he screeched within him.
Gural
Mizuriel's Alt

Words: 34400
Joined roleplay: March 4th, 2011, 10:58 am
Character sheet

Postby Azeran on March 14th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Azeran did feel the disturbance. The shuffling of feet, the heavy breathing of his brother. "Too soon." Azeran thought to himself. He could feel difficulty with Koarhal today. He was aggressive yet sly. He spoke little, but when he did, it was as dangerous as a knife in the back. Azeran never would have thought that Koarhal would want to be released against their own brothers, and was actually surprised to find that he was, in fact, as lustful for blood as ever. Azeran hadn't killed a soul in almost a year, it must have had an effect on Koarhal, like that of a drunk forced to be sober, or perhaps even a fish in dire need of water to quench its thirst. Gural's voice echoed in the clearness of Azeran's mind, but did not fade. It was there, his meditation was cut off too early, despite having more time than he was used to. "It's just training." Azeran exhaled slowly, feeling his chest fall, his shoulders slouch.
"Don't be such a fool. He's your inferior looking to make father proud. Why wouldn't he break you under the heel of his boot just to prove he was the better opponent?

His eyes opened suddenly as he lowered his head, rotating it to the left, then down, the right, then up. He stood up with little effort as he was healthy and fit, like all Akalak, always ready to execute. "I would rather a muscle be damaged for a season than my mind be corrupt for a day. Koarhal fights me vigorously today. Are you certain you want to proceed?" Azeran was concerned for his brother, altruistic he was. He could easily take a broken arm over breaking that of his brother's, and the guilt would never exist. Vice versa, and it would haunt him forever. Azeran examined his brother, a mere six foot tall, Azeran himself was amongst the largest of the naturally massive race, nearly seven and a half feet. Azeran easily beat him in height, fourteen full inches, his reach advantage was incredible. Not to mention his weight was just shy of a one-hundred pound increase. Azeran knew that his brother was not weak (not by a long shot) but it still didn't make sense to him as to why they were so well matched. Azeran had every reason to win every challenge Gural offered.

But Azeran knew better than to assume anything with his brother. He was fearless, despite Azeran's obvious advantages, and tended to give Azeran more than just a run for his money. A smirk reached up and grabbed a hold of Azeran's lips briefly, but it was not Azeran's smile. It was Koarhal. Azeran shook his head slowly. "You feel it, don't you? You despise them because they are better than you. You hate him because he isn't as worried about destroying you are you are of him. You think he wouldn't, because you gave Father a Grandson. Need I remind you than Adrin is born and a grown man now? Why not adopt Adrin for his own? Even Islena would be quite the trophy for him. She would have no say in the matter. She's still a Nakivak. After all these years, you can die and she'll go to him. We both know he wouldn't treat her as you do. Even I care about her, would be more kind to her than he would." Azeran felt a twinge of pain in his chest. Koarhal has stricken a very sensitive chord, and he despised him because of it. He had faith that the blood that ran through Azeran's veins were also in Gural's, and that blood was too thick, too strong to break just because of a little thing as jealousy. So what if Azeran was beaten today? It was training, and who better to lose to than his own brother? So what if Gural had no offspring, Adrin was a grown man, no longer owned by Azeran, and would never be by Gural.

Azeran lifted his hands, his palms lie open rather than in tight fists, and either one hovered at about his own neck-level. A short opponent such as this meant he would have to focus on a swifter, smaller, but more fragile target. He would have to play defensive until he found that opportune moment to strike, and he would have to strike hard. To some, this air of seriousness was not the atmosphere of training, but it was how the brothers trained. What was better to combat prowess than a feeling of the very thing? How would one learn to take a punch if none is ever taken?

Azeran was ready. "I am here brother. Let's begin."
Azeran
Dead

Character sheet

Postby Gural on March 15th, 2011, 9:56 pm

OOCI am still new to this fighting thing, so just tell me did I play it out right? :)

Azeran got ready slowly, almost unwillingly. While his remark on Koarhal being restless did invoke a certain sense of wariness in Gural, it also agitated Corak to an unknown extent. While the lighter half feared Koarhal even more than he did his own weakness, the obscure personality saw in him, a fitting opponent. Walking slowly towards his brother, the Akalak held half formed fists in front of him. He spoke in a restless manner: “You might be able to win against me with a corrupt mind, a weak muscle however bears a whole other set of issues. And as far back as I can recall, you always had trouble controlling Koarhal, why should this time be different?” he gave off an enthusiastic smile when he finished.

“If Koarhal awakens… you do remember our deal, don’t you?”

“I do indeed, but that is the worst case scenario, be gone now!”

“Fine, you spineless freak”

Gural rolled his eyes at Corak’s sudden outburst of emotion, as he added: “We fight till someone draws first blood. Remember to stop yourself in time; if I am forced to give my power to Corak, we are both screwed” he shook his head at the thought. “Azeran, guard yourself!” he could not help but yell as he charged at him. The man was absent minded again, and he had no real desire to fight against an opponent like that.

The rush was ended quickly; when he was only a few feet away from his target, quickly deploying all of his weight on one leg, he used the other to aim a kick at Azeran’s ankle. What followed the kick was another swing, aimed at the man’s nose, but this time Gural used the root of his palm to deploy the blow. His left arm was risen into a diagonal guard from his kidney to his shoulder the entire time.

As the fight was setting off, he could hear Corak in the back of his head: “Shed some blood pansy… it has been sooo soooo long since the last time I tasted some”
Gural
Mizuriel's Alt

Character sheet

Postby Azeran on March 17th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Azeran had no difficulty in ignoring his younger brother's slanderous words. The insults, be it petty humor or true villainous intent. Gural almost seemed to desire fighting Koarhal rather than Azeran. Gural was being dangerous. He never did truly understand how hungry Koarhal was. How dangerous he could be. Azeran was actually strong because of how little Koarhal managed to assume control, being considerably stronger and all. Azeran nodded. He knew Gural only meant well, it was competition, but a healthy one for the betterment of them both, and the fight started.

A quick forward charge was expected, there wasn't too much one could do to surprise an opponent with no cover, knew you were there, and had intentions of fighting. Any sly maneuvers to initiate a fight would be wasted or null. Azeran easily avoided the kick, his eyes were always staring into Gural's, but his peripheral vision was acute, picking up on the shift. His foot lifted from the ground, evading Gural's kick to Azeran's ankle, and stepped forward. His foot landed behind his brother's, somewhat setting each other up for being tangled at dangerously close quarters. It was a simple motion with no immediate offensive value, but he was setting Gural up. To ignore the leg might cost him.

The punch came next, again not to Azeran's surprise. He knew his brother, it wasn't unusual for Gural to start off offensive, and since Azeran had refused to, Gural was forced into forward motion. Azeran used his own hand to slap the attack past his head, his other hand then pressed forwards towards Gural's chest in one swift palm strike that would act more as a method to throw his brother backwards rather than to hurt him. A body shot like that wouldn't take down a true Akalak.

However, there was that foot, his leg positioned behind his brother's leading leg. If he was to stumble or move backwards, and wasn't paying attention to every limb, then he would find himself lying on his back and staring up at his older, and considerably taller, brother. Azeran did not speak, only offered a few hisses of air that whistled through his teeth or a grunt when hands met to attack or deflect one another. Azeran couldn't bother with speaking, not when he was in the moment, it took too much from his already strained concentration.
Azeran
Dead

Character sheet

Postby Gural on March 21st, 2011, 12:16 am

OOCSorry it took so long.

Gural was not surprised when his brother deflected his punch, or evaded the kick; it would prove to be a disappointing fight if he failed to do such basic things after all. He spotted his brother’s arm aiming at his chest, but knew it came too quickly to be dodged completely. He had only two choices in his mind, he could move to the left and take the hit in the hit to the right shoulder, or he could step to the right and take it in the left one. No choice was ideal, but Gural still trusted Corak’s judgement when he yelled: “Right, go right you blind moron!” Obliging quickly, he lowered his stance a bit, sliding to the right. His leading leg was pushed backwards, against Azeran’s foot; not in order to try and sweep him out of his stance, but to find support.

As the blow was coming closer to the shoulder, he reached out his left arm, parallel with his brother’s, grabbing him by the forearm as soon as he had landed his strike. At this same time, his right hand was returned back to his right hip, only to be launched back towards Azeran. He gathered strength quickly, from the feet, up to the hips, and when he twisted his hips, he let his punch lose, aiming at the opponent’s elbow. He knew hitting Azeran with a closed fist would get him little, so he left his palm open as his arm flew for its target.
Gural
Mizuriel's Alt

Character sheet

Postby Azeran on March 24th, 2011, 3:32 am

OOCNo need for lengthy posts in fast paced combat. A few details and I'm posting. Short and sweet. We can be all poetic and chatty when it's over. ;)

Azeran was surprised to find Gural latched onto his arm, he was surprised he hit Gural at all to be honest, and he was three times surprised to find his brother striking at his elbow! That was a dangerous move. They both knew that such an attack could actually hurt him. Azeran hadn't expected this, but wasn't going to allow such an injury happen without a struggle. 'It is as I said. He's not your brother. He is trying to break your body so that he can easily take you when you are weak. He'll tell everyone I came out, that you lost control, and they'll believe him. Why not let me take a hold. You know I won't let that happen.'

'I don't know what you will do Koarhal. I will not risk my brother's life by putting his fate in your hands.' Azeran gave a strong jerk of his left arm, pulling it back with all his might (and hopefully pulling Gural with it). At the very least, Gural's strike would be interrupted by a stumble, at best Azeran would have pulled his arm completely free and, with his free right arm, would throw a merciless cross directly at Gural's head. It was a warning punch for his brother, and if it hit, would serve as a reminder that they were sparring, not trying to kill each other... at least not yet.
Azeran
Dead

Character sheet

Postby Gural on April 2nd, 2011, 5:55 pm

OOCSorry for being late.
Azeran was usually not a rash man, so when he rushed to pull his left arm backwards, Gural knew he had surprised his older brother quite a bit. He never expected the blow to land, but was still amused by the reactions that were taking place. The Akalak knew his brother well, so when he was felt the arm pulling away, he went with it willingly. The cross swing at his head happened as expected, and failed to surprise.

Letting go of the arm he had previously latched onto, he quickly got his hips even lower than they already were; letting the blow float over his head. Left, right, left were shot out of his shoulders and towards the lower abdominal muscles. Even while he knew that Azeran’s legs were not much of a threat at such close quarters, he still raised his hands in a guard that circled his head. Not letting the taller man get accustomed to the change of pace, he quickly pushed his arms forward out his guard and towards the plexus of the one in front of him. The blow was imagined with the roots of both palms slamming at the area between the bones, hopefully knocking some air out of the lungs. If he knew the person he was fighting at all, he was sure at least one if not all of his blows would fail to connect.
Gural
Mizuriel's Alt

Character sheet

Postby Azeran on April 12th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Size, strength, reach, distance, it was all an advantage for Azeran and Koarhal when they squared up with their younger siblings. Yet, despite these advantages and several years of additional age and experience, Gural was still more than just a challenge, he was skilled, quick, aggressive, and dangerous. Not just dangerous because of his combat prowess, but dangerous because he was so careless of drawing out the blood-thirsty Koarhal into awakening. Azeran was holding back, he had to just to restrain Koarhal, his focus was diverted. The first shots were blocked, not with ease as Gural had stepped inside Azeran's ideal range of combat, making his longer limbs harder to defend close to his body. A swat here, moving the body to force the second to merely glance off, but the third was solid, striking him dead center of the chest. He missed it because his own hand was striking out towards Gural's head.

Azeran took a few steps backwards as he exhaled. His diaphragm quivered painfully underneath his chest as it fought for the normalcy of air flow, the comfort of breathing. Azeran didn't show it, there wasn't panic or pained expression on his face, but a truly observant man would recognize that he was trying to avoid Gural for a few precious seconds until his breathing returned to him, normal, comfortable, and effective. Still, even in that weak breathing, his hands floated around his chin, ready to defend or strike out in Gural approached, which he figured was likely.
Azeran
Dead

Character sheet

Postby Gural on April 13th, 2011, 8:37 pm

As Azeran was backing off, Gural could see a large opening for him to strike through. An opening was not a hole in his defense this time; it was rather represented as a much bigger disruption in all of his moves. Did his brother actually dare to go easy on him? Did he even understand the salt he brought onto Gural’s wounded pride by subjecting himself to fear and doubt? In a fit of rage, Gural shortened the distance between them quickly, preparing his leg for a kick against the extremities of his opponent, when he suddenly stopped. Changing his mind completely, Gural even dropped his guard, pulling a couple of steps back.

“Fight me fully or do not fight me at all!” he proclaimed angrily, staring at his brother. “Do not care for me like I am an incompetent fool. Do not dare!” Gural kept going. “Ask yourself, would you really care so much about controlling Koarhal if I weren’t your next of kin? Would you finally fight seriously if you forgot we were family?” the Akalak exhaled slowly, calming his tone, but not his mood.

“You are not my brother, not really; the Azeran I know is not an insolent weakling led by fear! My brother would not be this weak!” he paused, sighing.

“You actually think all that? Geez, and I thought I was the insensitive one” Corak laughed.

“Fight with me now and forget we are blood! Forget it, or I will!” Gural didn’t mean what he had said, but he was still proud enough to stop himself from any correction. He might even go as far as apologizing once all of this was done, but not yet.
Gural
Mizuriel's Alt

Character sheet

Next