I Hope I Don't Break Anything(Raylin)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on March 28th, 2011, 11:42 pm

OOCLedger: +6gm for Generosity.

He scooped back up the coins with a faint shrug. Something told him he should probably insist on paying, but he disliked doing the expected. There were more important things to discuss than the worth of a bottle anyway, and more interesting things to think about. Jarhal held no prejudices against those with foreign blood in their veins, so long they integrated into his people's society, but it was strange to think about growing up anywhere but Cyphrus. All his life he'd done little different than what he still did today. He was simply a hunter.

Her list of preparations impressed him and he made no attempt to hide it. It was good to know she was prudent, he'd hate to have to spend the whole trip wagging his finger and being a wet blanket. The brief time he had met Raylin before this wasn't really enough to discern how sensible the woman was.

"I think I should have gotten you to do my shopping for me." He said with a smirk. "I'll be packing lighter, Topher will whine constantly otherwise. I needed to ask you something particular though, are you comfortable with sharing a 4-man tent?" This might have been a mildly licentious question from some men. Instead, it was just the no-nonsense sort of efficient thinking expected of the emerald hunter. "It would save space that I could use to bring more important things, is all, but I'll respect your wishes either way. I'd understand if you don't want to invite any more jokes."

Truth be told, he wasn't sure he wanted to risk being assault by Raylin's parents for suggesting such a thing. Some folks were touchy when it came to their daughters. This trip was about seeing distant lands, flora and fauna, and learning what he could about how to hunt in every locale. It was a beginning to something greater for Jarhal Treeshadow. Sharing the trip with a pretty young woman was nice, sure, but he'd push on by himself if it came to it.
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Words: 76851
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on April 4th, 2011, 11:11 am

"So does that mean you've gotten your shopping done?" Raylin asked. Men could be tricky sometimes. They could say something but then it turns out they mean something totaly different. In this case, she was trying to see wether he had actually gotten the things he needed or was reminding himself to get his supplies.

"I had thought we would anyways, so no, I don't mind." the half-blood replied. Sharing a tent was probably the most practical thing to do in a situation like this. Only using one living space ment that they could carry more if needed or even lighten the load.
Raylin Sunsetfeather
I sit between the montains and the plains.

Words: 34984
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2010, 1:05 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on April 5th, 2011, 3:36 am

He shrugged in answer to her question, enjoying being vague for a bit. Even as he did, though, he began to rummage a hand through a few pockets. Where had he put it? It was an awful important thing to lose, and only days after he'd bought the damn thing. As it began to take longer than it should to find what he was looking for, he held up a finger to her and rooted around with both hands.

Finally, he brought out a circular object cupped in his hands and walked over very close to Raylin so she could see well. He opened up his dirty hands and revealed a precisely-cut round piece of wood with a black magnetized pin inside a hollowed portion mounted on a tack so it could spin freely. The four letters N, E, S, and W were pinned at each quarter around the pin.

"This is a compass. It will tell us which direction is north no matter what." He said, turning it around to show that the pin always swung to be aligned with a certain direction. He then held it out for her to mess with herself. "It cost me 200 gold mizas, but with a decent map it should make it almost impossible to become lost for long. It wouldn't be good to set out on this trip around the world and end up wandering in circles until we starved to death."

Obviously he'd bought a great many things, all of them basics of survival, but this was the most interesting. And easily the most expensive. The pride of being a tracker from the Emerald clan made it difficult to admit he could possibly ever get lost, but in the end he decided it was best not to take chances when he had another person's life to think about too. Even if he never had to use it, the compass was a peculiar things that he didn't see too many people walking about with. Owning one made him feel like he belonged to some secretive club.

"With what I've got, I'm prepared to live off of whatever land we have to for quite some time. Except maybe the Eyktol desert. I'm not sure how you can live off that land unless you can make water out of the air." He scratched at his chin, as though honestly considering that as a solution. "I'll have to ask a Chaktawe how they do it..."

After thinking about it some more, he shrugged and moved on. "Do you have any idea when you want to leave? I don't know how many days it'll take to reach Syliras." Jarhal had never really bothered to even ride close to the border with Sylira, in truth. It had simply never interested him to leave his homeland before now.
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on April 10th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Raylin curiously looked toward the drykas as he searched through his various pockets. What is he searching for? she thought. When he began to walk toward her she gave him a questioning look.

Finally she could see the small object. It look so delicate that when Jarhal had offered it to her she was at first afraid that she would break it if she touched it. When she did take it though, she was thankful for the time that she had learned to not shake while creating pieces of glass. She was nervous about handeling the compass to say the least. Holding an object worth 200 gm would make anyone treat it as if it were a new born.

"I think I have the secound piece of the puzzel." the half-blood said as she handed back the compass and started searching through a shelf. After a minute she returned with a rolled up piece of paper. After moving the glasses into a box and puting that box on the shelf labled "finished orders" she rolled out the paper and put it on the table.

On the paper there was a sketch of Mizahar. Towns had been marked with little dots. "This is my grandfather's map." Raylin said. "It has been in my family for a long time. It's the only hierloom that we have from my mother's side."

"How about the 54th?" she replied.
Raylin Sunsetfeather
I sit between the montains and the plains.

Words: 34984
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2010, 1:05 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on April 12th, 2011, 2:36 pm

The map interested him immediately, and so he walked over to run his fingers over the lines representing Cyphrus. Of course he'd seen a map before, but it was always curious to see old maps. The art of cartography had not really changed much in the years following the Valterrian and rich travelers would pay grand sums for a masterfully drawn map. A map passed down through a family was usually a good sign of it's quality, even if there might be slight incongruities due to the time that has passed.

Seeing land that he prowled on an almost-daily basis made him feel strange, like it was drawn by some man in the sky while he was down there. It made him want to draw a little figure and mark it "<-Jarhal". He figured Raylin might not appreciate him scribbling on her map, though.

"You've all kept good care of it." He ran one finger over the yellowing old parchment, following the route to Syliras. "I hope we can return it to your mother in the same condition, when we're through. Your family might not let me step back into the country if it gets torn."

Jarhal smiled and joked, but he really wasn't sure. A trip around the world gave lots of opportunity for things to get ripped or beaten-up... or stolen. How safe were most of these roads they had to take? He was used to avoiding animals, but could he avoid bandits too? It was a skill he was going to have to learn. The hunter wouldn't say so aloud, but he felt that security would be his sole responsibility. If he did say it out loud, he suspected she might take offense to being treated like a fragile flower. Drykas women were often known for their independence in these matters.

"The 54th sounds fine to me, sure." He nodded and turned away from the map to face her. "I think that about covers all that business, so let me ask you something else." He gave a little nod to the furnaces. "Could I try to make a little something? I think I can manage not to burn down the tent or anything, if you guide me through it."
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Character sheet

Previous