I Hope I Don't Break Anything(Raylin)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on March 13th, 2011, 8:58 pm

25th day of Spring, 511 AV

"Right over there? You're sure it's this way?"

A typical drykas man, dressed all in vibrant purple with the knotted sash customary of most Amethyst clan, nodded to the hooded Emerald hunter interrogating him. His question answered, the hunter walked off without a word. He didn't even say thank you! Emeralds have no manners! thought the Amethyst clan man, staring daggers into the back of green-clothed man's billowing cloak.

Perhaps Jarhal Treeshadow did lack manners, that was a matter to be debated for another time, but this had turned into a fun hunt. Like an arrow being released from the string, Jarhal was soaring toward his target with little considerations for minor things such as politeness. A thought did stop him momentarily though: Will it be strange to just show up at a girl's tent without sending word?

It didn't matter. He had said he'd come see, no matter how long ago that had been. Jarhal had never cared for appointments, they took all the excitement out of everything. This whole morning he had spent politely(by his reckoning) asking completely random strangers if they knew a girl named Raylin Sunsetfeather. Had he ever had such difficulty tracking down his prey before? Nothing came to mind. Was watching a girl work glass really worth all of this trouble? Was the glass really even the reason? He couldn't say. Maybe he had just gotten caught up in the hunt.

Well, he couldn't just turn back now that he was so close. Remounting his strider, Topher, he set off to follow the man's directions. Before long he was setting off down the last lane of tents, big and small, and soon came to the one that had been described to him. It was much larger than his tiny little lean-to, but that was no surprise. Finding a tent that was smaller than his would be much more surprising. Giving his handsome strider a pat on the neck, he swung down from the yvas saddle.

Jarhal strode to the tent's flap, his strider following along curiously behind him. There he paused for a conflicted moment, unsure if he should just barge in. Before moving to do anything, he patted down his green pants and straightened his already straight brown vest in the attempt to make himself look more presentable. With nothing else to waste time with, he finally stuck his head into the Amethyst pavilion.

"Hello?" He asked into the pavilion, hoping the man had given him the correct directions. "Is Raylin here?"
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Words: 76851
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2010, 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on March 17th, 2011, 1:38 am

Raylin had been working all morning with her mother. The order they were working on was taking longer then usual but they were almost finished. How many people are there going to be at this wedding? she thought as she finished another wine glass.

A voice was soon heard. Both Raylin and the Inartan woman beside her looked toward the entrance of the pavilion. "I'll go see who it is." Iria said as she walked away from the table and toward the entrance. The young woman looked toward her mothers collection of cups. She had at least a third more then Raylin if not more. She let out a sigh. She would never be as quick as her mother when it came to the craft they had chosen but that is why she was a master.

A minute or so later the fiery haired woman returned. "It's that boy your going to be traveling with." The older woman said with a winked. The half-blood rolled her eyes. "You know he has a name right." she then hopped off her stool and yelled toward the boy, "I'll be there in a minute Jarhal!" before taking her hair out of it's ponytail and then retieing it before walking toward the entrance.

"So you found me." Raylin said, her hands on her hips and a smile on her face. Her new piercings glinted slightly in the sunlight that streamed through a open flap on the side of the pavilion.
Raylin Sunsetfeather
I sit between the montains and the plains.

Words: 34984
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2010, 1:05 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on March 17th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Seeing Raylin's mother, however briefly, was interesting. The number of people the Emerald hunter had ever met without at least some Drykas blood could be counted on one hand, and just maybe he could see why so many men left Cyphrus and came home married. There was an allure of curiosity in something exotic... but surely that sort of fate wasn't for Jarhal Treeshadow.

"The search was a nice test of my abilities, and for a worthy quarry." He said, trying to be enigmatic. The trouble with being enigmatic was that you were never sure if you were succeeding or not. "I hoped that I might be able to come in and see you work with glass, and maybe we could talk about the trip after that. I don't want to be a nuisance, though."

He noticed Raylin's piercings about then, something he was certain she hadn't had the last time they spoke. They weren't new to him, Aleksi had a great many of the things, but they still changed his perception of the girl. They made her seem more womanly, mature, than what he remembered. It was strange how three little pieces of metal could do such a thing. Overall, he found himself preferring this look to that of someone like Aleksi... the latter just seemed excessive.

"Oh, this is Topher, by the way." He said, suddenly breaking off his not-subtle inspection of the silver in Raylin's ears. Stepping to the side and scratching the horse between the ears, he went on with a wider smile. "He's friendlier than Chural, but twice as annoying." The horse snorted and gave Jarhal 'a look', as though understanding every word.
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on March 18th, 2011, 11:03 pm

"Oh! Of course you can come watch. And your never nuisance." Raylin said with a laugh. She watched as Jarhal stared at her knew accessories. "Like them? I got them a few days ago. Family tradition of sorts." she added.

She looked at the strider she was being introduced to. He looked like a very nice Stalion and it made Raylin wished she had Sebela to introduce to them both. "A pleasure." she said, adding a little bow toward the horse. She pet Topher's neck before saying, "You wait here while I show Jarhal what I do for a living." With a final pet she motioned the other drykas to follow her behind the curtain to the other room.

The room was filled with with a few furnaces and some tables as well as chairs, barrels of drinking and none-drinking water, and a few cupboards. Raylin brought him over to the table where her mother was working away.

She coughed a little to get her attention. "Ah!" the Inartan said and she stood up for her stool, "You must be Jarhal! I've heard lots about you. I'm Iria. Raylin's mother. Oh and by the way if you get her pregnant Derren, Raylin's father will destroy you, then again i'll probably get you first." the last comment was given with a mischevious smile attached. "Mother!" The half-blood yelled. "Relax Ray, can you not take a joke? I didn't raise you like that." Iria said with a laugh. "Well i'll leave you and your suitor to do who knows what." she finished with a wink before leaving.

Raylin let out a sigh. "Sorry about that. It's currently a running joke in my family even bets have been made." The last part made the young woman smile a bit. They really thought she would come back bearing child didn't they. Then again who knew? Like mother like daughter right?
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on March 19th, 2011, 7:32 pm

The strider obeyed dutifully, taking a few steps to the side of the Pavilion. Jarhal had no need for tying him to a post or some other silly foreigner habit, the Strider was free to go wherever he wished... though he could not help but be frustrated at seeing him obey so quickly. The horse was stubborn as a mule, but the moment anything female ordered him about he melted into clay. It was a shameful display.

Inside, Jarhal took a moment to cast his observing eyes over their equipment, the furnace and the newly-made glasses. He then touched his hand to his heart and inclined his head, just as Raylin's mother began talking about thoroughly embarrassing things. He left his head down, to hide any hint of blushing that might have come to his cheeks for a moment. The emerald hunter was not the sort that blushed often, but he was also the sort that rarely ever had reason to blush.

"Bets have been made?" He asked, bringing his head back up as Iria left the room. His family was not nearly so humorous as Raylin's. He was unsure if that was a good or bad thing. "I should get in on that, then." He joked with a light smirk.

While his family was not so funny about it, he certainly knew what the pressure to marry was like. It would be accurate to say that he avoided visiting his parents now because of it, the look of disappointment on his mother's face every time he told her that he was not chasing anyone. Every time he spoke to his father, he half-expected to hear that he had arranged a marriage without Jarhal's consent. That seemed just the sort of thing the old man would do.

Shaking his head slightly, he went and set his bow(why he had bothered to bring it he didn't know) in a corner and took a seat at the table near the two women's work.

"Sounds like I have been a bit of a nuisance for you, after all. I'd get quite tired of the jokes after a day." It turned out living in his own tent, however small, had some advantages. "Come on and show me what you do, though. I just want to watch you."
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on March 20th, 2011, 12:53 am

Raylin watched as Jarhal started to blush at her mothers comments. She tried not to laugh. She had never seen the hunter blush like this before and she was humored by it. "Yep. 15 gm. Most of my family thinks I'll end up like my mother." the last part made her laugh a bit. Some of them were suprised that she hadn't gotten knocked up already. Others were thankful that she hadn't and were hoping that she wouldn't until she was married.

The half-blood gave a small nug to the man at his next comment. "It would be too easy for you." she said adding a little wink at the end. "The jokes got annoying after awhile. I just try to ignore them now." Raylin watched as Jarhal took a seat then went over to the laddle of melted glass.

She grabbed a pipe before stoping at the furnace. She put a glob of molten glass on the end of the blow pipe and carefully brought it over to the bench. She placed the tip into a wine glass mold and blew into the opposite end of the pipe. The glass expanded into the mold and created the desired shap. She took out the pipe and put it back before waiting a few moments for the glass to harden.

Once it had become a solid again she removed the mold. Raylin then went over to a bright red piece of molten glass, and after putting on gloves, picked it up with a pair of small tongs. The glass looked like a snake as she carefully put it on the edge of the wine glass. Once it had cooled down, the yellow colour of the glass on the rim could be seen. "There for a Topaz clan wedding." the young woman said. Each glass had a different way the yellow snake coiled around it.
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on March 21st, 2011, 1:22 am

Nature was the Jarhal's domain, not glassworking. He had never seen even this process done, never really stopped to think how glass was even made before she'd told him what her family did. To say he was enthralled by the whole thing would be going too far, but he always enjoyed learning new things however seemingly useless to him they were. It all seemed rather tedious to go through the same process over and over, but then he thought about all those times he went on a hunt and came home hungry and empty-handed. If it was possible for him to enjoy hunting so much, regardless of the boring times, then surely it was possible for people to enjoy crafting things just as much.

The blow pipe was particularly interesting, he couldn't have guessed that was how the shape was formed. After seeing it done, though, how else would it happen? Whenever he used a bottle he was going to imagine Raylin blowing on a pipe. That sounded a strangely dirty.

"That all looks very hot, do you ever burn yourself?" Her hands didn't show much sign of serious burning, perhaps it looked more dangerous than it was? Nothing that glowed red hot could be safe, though. "Also, do you craft things for fun too, or are you too busy with paying work?"

He couldn't really think of too much more to ask. It was hard to think of just what to ask about this sort of thing, he knew nothing. What had people asked him about in regards to his profession? Little, since he still didn't know all that many people that well. What would he want him to ask, then?

"Did your mother teach you how to do it? How old were you when you started?" That opened up the floodgates, even more questions popped into his head, but he held them back to give her a chance to answer first.
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on March 22nd, 2011, 1:25 am

"I burn myself at least once a month. Thats at least better then when I started. I burned myself everyday." Raylin let out a laugh with her answer as she went over to the wine glasses and started to load them into a box full of hay. She had finished the last one. After having made 40 of them, 20 each between her and Iria, she was happy to finaly take a break.

"I make things for fun sometimes." She finished packing all the glasses and put the box to the side. Then she went and retrived another box. "These are things I've made out of bordum that will get sold at our tent in the market." Raylin explained. The box contained various pendents, glass beads, bracelets, necklaces, rings, ect.

The young woman put placed the box infront of Jarhal so that he could take a look at the various objects. "You can have something if you want." she said as she sat back down on her stool. "My mother started to teach me when I was about 5. By 8 I knew the basics and was allowed to watch my mother craft at a closer distance."
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Postby Jarhal Treeshadow on March 22nd, 2011, 9:42 pm

"Really? Burned every day? I think I'd have just quit." He said as he began to gently rummage through the box she set before him. "I suppose that's why I'm not a glassworker, though. When I was eight I would be following my brothers around and getting blamed for all their trouble. Were you still in Wind Reach back then?"

As he talked, he pulled an item from the assortment. A simple flask of thick greenish glass with little complexity but good symmetry. He turned it over in his hands a few times. There were more artistic pieces, more pretty things, in the box, but Jarhal Treeshadow was not a man of artistic pretty things. He was a man of sturdy and practical things. It was only fitting that a simple flask of good shape caught his eye.

It wasn't obvious to him if Raylin had meant to take something for free, but he planned to pay for it either way. Reaching somewhere behind him, under that ever-present green cloak, he untied a small pouch that contained the money he walked about with. How much was a flask worth? He didn't know. With no more thought than that, he pulled out a handful of gold mizas and set them on the table with little care. The things held no sway on him.

Without making any bigger deal out of it, he retied the pouch to wherever it's place was behind him and placed the flask snugly in a sewn pocket on the inside of his cloak. He planned to fill it with Kumis, a mild alcohol made from mare's milk. It was about the most intoxicating drink Jarhal ever imbibed on any regular basis.

"It'll be useful on the trip. Speaking of which, have you gotten prepared?" He really should have come days ago to discuss everything, he usually planned things better than this. "Spring is almost half through already... you do still want to go, right?"

OOCLedger: -6gm for Glass Flask
Jarhal Treeshadow
Emerald Clan Hunter

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on March 27th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Raylin nodded in response. "Yep. And if I did quit it would mean being thrown in with the Dek. I was not about to let that happen." she added. "I was in Wind Reach until I was 10. Then my father came on my birthday to bring me and my mother to Endrykas." Raylin remebered that day fondly. It was, as she called it, her day of freedom. No more forced caste, no more descrimination.

As soon as the mizas hit the table she picked them up and put back infront of Jarhal. "There is no need to pay me. Plus, we'll need them for the trip." the half-blood said. They had no idea how much money they would need for food and a place to sleep. She wanted to be ready for any finacial probles that might come up along there trip.

"I have actually." a small smile surfaced on Raylin's lips. She then got out a list of the things that she had gotten. "Waterskin, 2 water additives, lantern, 3 traveller's stock, 2 oil." she read aloud before saying, "My father gave me one of his 4 person tents as well as some rope, torches and tarp. My uncle gave me some large saddle bags and another lantern. One of my cousins gave me there fishing equipment. Ya I would say im ready." the young woman's smile grew larger when she finished. Her family had really helped her out for this trip and she was very thankful for it.

"So how about you Jarhal?" Raylin asked.
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Next