The Woman and the Gentle Man [Edalene]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 14th, 2011, 4:15 am

Sama'el wished he were older, or more burly, or cut a more imposing figure in the yvas of his majestic Strider. A Drykas, even an irate one, should heed the call of a Watchman while out on the Sea of Grass, even this close to the great encampment. Perhaps she could tell he was new, but even if she were simply ignoring him, that he could deal with, but no. No! This one was squandering the escape he had so painstakingly afforded her and flanked an odilosapux.

Veering to intercept the beast, he figured it was time to use the gifts that he had been given. Ignoring any nerves, he pulled his right arm back as if he were going to punch someone, but the grit of his teeth was the pressure of trying to push the magic out of his hand the way Eldon had taught him. As he pelted headlong toward the odilosapux bull, the res gradually started to gather within the confines of his fingers, crooked inward like claws.

But when he got closer, she stopped eying the bull like she would hack him to pieces through sheer anger and the bull noticed that his herd was moving off and quickly attempted to follow so as not to be left behind. Dohaina slowed to a canter, and then a trot as he let the res dissipate, unused. No fire was necessary now, and he was almost sorry for the opportunity lost to exert a sliver of Ivak's power upon the world.

Ah, well.

Finally slowing to a walk as he approached her, he tried to gauge her emotional state and felt suddenly awkward, as if saving her life had been a grave offense.

"If you're upset," he said carefully, "we can go back to Endrykas and have a sword fight. At least that way healers will be nearby, yeah?"
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Edalene on April 15th, 2011, 10:04 am

She kept her eyes downward as she rode, but he caught up to her. She really wished he hadn't. Couldn't he see that she was upset? She had just very nearly killed herself in front of him by doing something unbelievably stupid. She felt like an idiot right now, and not like what a Drykas should feel like. Not like this Watchman, who evidently was good at being a Drykas.

She thought he would respect her, see that she was upset and just ride back to Endrykas with her. But no, he had to speak to her, had to insult her, had to bother her while she was feeling like this. She tried to ignore him, she did, but as soon as he mentioned fighting with her, she just snapped. "Look, Watchman," Eda growled, checking Ayira and spinning to face him."I do not need your pity. I can't even kill an Olidosaplux, I think we can safetly assume I'm not a very good Drykas. I am exceedling aware of this. If you want to spar with me, I will spar with you - but don't offer out of PITY."

She waited, impatient, ready to see if he would cave and admit to being just a condescending patronising male, as so many people in Eda's life were these days.
Edalene
Something more.

Words: 160500
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2010, 9:01 am
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 15th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Sama'el blinked a few times at the girl. It wasn't that he expected her to gush at him for saving her; few Drykas girls were quite that damsel-in-distress even when they were maidens and in distress. A simple statment of gratitude would have made his heart swell with pride because he was new at this and -- truth be told -- he was nervous that he would fail and prove that he was not as Drykas as he hoped to be. But even thanks weren't really expected. He was in the Watch. The Watch protected the Drykas. Thanks were all well and good, but hardly necessary for something that just was.

Of course, she was upset and he wasn't very good at dealing with a woman's feelings. Just look at the mess he had made of Denen's!

"I was asking because it seemed like you could use a distraction and I haven't sparred against a broadsword since I left Syliras last year." He opened his mouth to say more, but then closed it. Sometimes an innocent heart and the best of intentions couldn't help a person who didn't want to be helped.

He bit back a sigh and Dohaina turned her head to lip at the girl's knee, a sort of consolation kiss. Sama'el patted the mare's neck and gave her some invisible signal with his knees that turned her away on a slightly different course as they prepared to pick up speed and leave the girl to her thoughts.

"But if you want to hunt odilosapai sometime," he offered over his shoulder, "let me know. It's really a two person job at least." His smile was simple and sweet, and then he turned to go.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Edalene on April 16th, 2011, 5:30 am

She looked at him hard, trying to see how truthful he was being. Did he want to spar with her? Or was he just pitying her? She was leaning to the second. As if a Stormwatch of his stature would want to fight with stupid little Eda. She dropped the sword more than she actually hit something.

"No thank you," she murmured, and turned Ayira to follow him. "I just want to go." Without waiting for a response, she kicked her Strider in the flanks and began galloping back to Endrykas, leaving him in her wake, tears marring her vision.
Edalene
Something more.

Words: 160500
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2010, 9:01 am
Character sheet

Postby Mycroft on May 18th, 2011, 9:55 am

- Edaline -
"Fine. You can follow. I suppose it's your job."

Experience:
Horsemanship: +1
Riding: +4

Lores:
He's a Nightmare
Sit. Think. Breathe.
TURN AROUND!
Fleeing a Charging Olidosaplux
Not Ready for a Rodeo

- Sama'el -
"I will just be a bothersome speck on the horizon."

Experience:
Webbing: +3
Acrobatics: +2
Riding: +2
Animal Husbandry: +1
Shortbow: +1
Reimancy: +1

Lores:
Shepherding Wayward Drykas Girls
More Than One Way to Mount a Horse
Honoring his Watchman Duty
Shot an Olidosaplux in the Mouth
Charging the Chargers

Notes: I really enjoyed reading this thread. The story flowed very well and the writing was fantastic. I have to credit Ayira. She has the body of a horse, but the heart of a lion. She didn't care whether she was heading toward a herd of olidosapai or a flock of geese. Good thing Edalene noticed in time. I felt like I could only give Sama'el one point in his Shortbow. While I realize most of the arrows missed, I don't think he has the skill to handle a bow with enough dexterity to shoot a rapid volley of arrows. Given his riding skill, I definitely think he could handle a bow on a horse, but even standing still, a novice bowman couldn't realistically shoot arrows quickly without messing it up altogether. I think Sam would be able to pull back a bow string and keep it steady, and set an arrow loose on a good trajectory, but realistically not in rapid succession.
Mycroft

Previous