Completed Leave it all at Sea

Val is set to arrive at Syka but not before having a talk

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Leave it all at Sea

Postby Valentina Adair on June 3rd, 2023, 1:39 pm

Summer, 08, 523
Just off the coast of Syka, 2 nautical miles out.

“I’ve been on a boat before, I think I will hold my own just fine captain.”

Those words were said by a different woman, a woman who was not currently holding her upper body off the side of a railing, a woman far far more overconfident about this boat ride and by a woman who certainly was not expecting to be struggling just to hold down her food. Valentina struggled to maintain composure as she held tightly onto the railing. Her throat burning she steadied herself for a moment as the worse passed. Two sailors nearby on the top deck shared a small chuckle.

“Not like the Ravosalla I take it?” the voice came from the captain of this vessel, The Veronica. It was none other than Captain James Chaliva. Val still wondered how his last name was pronounced, sailors were hard to pick up on their accents, worldly sailors like this captain even more so. The sailors nearby on the deck ceased laughter as the captain approached Val.

“No.” She paused after speaking the quick word as her mouth now tasted worse than she felt. Placing her hand against her stomach she grimaced before answering again. “I would confidently say that Ravosalla’s are a far more enjoyable experience.” Not daring to take one hand off the railing Val continued to grip the side of the ship. The captain smiled politely and rested his hands on the side of the ship, standing firm and his body rolling with the waves as the ship traveled.

“Nothing will ever surpass this view.” His voice carried longingly out past the railing of the ship, escaping into the sea. Sailors, Val thought, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. They were just as bad as performers. Val kept her thoughts to herself and swayed against the waves as she kept her feet planted as best she could. A strong sudden lurch was felt in her stomach but passed a moment after. James glanced over and smiled. “The waves shouldn't slow us down pulling into dock, in fact, we may be slightly ahead of schedule.” he paused and looked back out to see for a moment before returning his attention to Val. “Long trip was it?”

“Huh?” She was caught off guard, they were on the same trip together, Syka was only a short distance away. “Oh.” She said, realizing. “To Riverfall you mean?”, he nodded, meaning yes. “It was the longest trip I had taken outside of my home. Huh, come to think of it, it was my first time leaving home.” images of the canals and marble buildings flashed in her memories for a moment before the captain spoke.

“How did you find the open country?” he asked. Val didnt sense any ill intention from the man, even if she did her natural reaction would be to fold up and answer his questions quickly, maybe feign the sea sickness somehow. It might not even fully be a lie.

“Dull, actually.” She said. “I am of course well aware of natural beauty and like most I’m moved by the sun’s rising and setting. Yet seeing nothing but trees, plains and hills grows rather boring.” Her childhood was filled with extravagant displays of wealth, parties in the streets as well as canals, festivals and feasts of pure gluttony to the heart's desire. Of course, such actions were not kind for her to partake in.

His nod before turning back towards the open sea left her wondering if she had said the wrong thing. After all, this was one of the leaders-er, founders, as the other sailors informed her of. “But maybe once I have a day out at sea where I’m not hurling off the left side of the boat I may change my point of view.” She tried to fix any tension. It's common knowledge sailors loved to travel, but why had this one decided to settle down?

“Come,” he said, “Lets get below deck you might do better in a chair where you wont see the waves.”
Last edited by Valentina Adair on June 21st, 2023, 11:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Valentina Adair
Player

Words: 25281
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2023, 11:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Leave it all at Sea

Postby Valentina Adair on June 5th, 2023, 2:27 pm

Inside the belly of the ship the two passed by the many wooden crates of cargo that were secure under deck. Most of the cargo was apparently packed with metals, glass works and other trade goods not produced or easily acquired at the settlement. The two sat on opposite sides of a desk in the captains quarters of the vessel. Val was thankful walking down that the captain did not correct her previous use of the word left. Starboard was what they used, or was it Port, she never bothered to learn.

“The letter of introduction.” a soft undertone to his voice signaling a jump to the new topic. Her brother suggested writing out a letter to the leader of the colony, his words, would help make a good first impression. He continued after giving Val a moment to begin processing the new conversation. “It was very formal.” she went to speak but a gentle raise of a hand stopped her. Enough of a social que to let him finish. “Some say I'm very forthright and honest and I would tend to agree, it's a good trait, one we value in our community. You do right by someone and they will do right by you. Formal letters and expecting things to be handed out because of your birth and who your father is wont get you far.”

It wasn't meant to be an insult against her. A way to call her out, it was very straightforward and someone with less self control may have lashed out at the words. Val found that often didnt help. She rubbed her nails softly together in her lap, but nodded. He paused, giving her time to speak up.

“I understand.” she said, slowing down the pressure on her nails, relaxing into the conversation. “I intend to make myself useful,” he nodded at that.

“Good, good. “He said twice. “Healers are valuable. It’s honest work. I'm sure Jansen, Kalum and Kami will be happy to have an extra pair of hands.”

“With three pairs already will mine crowd the space?”, after all whatever clinic or medical house the settlement had set up couldn't be that large right. They were relying on a single ship, as far as she knew, for their trade. His face dropped for a moment, what did I say wrong? She thought to herself.

“Jansen and Akalak.” Great, now I look like a fool. “I'm sure you will meet them soon enough.” she simply nodded again, wanting to move past the embarrassment. “Once we do dock you have some options in regards to housing.” He began. Going on to explain the various housing options. A bungalow to rent, a room at an inn, or clearly the more common and option he was more excited for was simply roaming the beach and setting up a camp. It seemed the most practical, saved the most of her money.

“A camp on the beach sounds…” she trailed off thinking. “Interesting. I feel that may be my best option for the time being.” the captain seemed to find that acceptable and even gave a chuckle.

“You’ll fit right in.” he said smiling. He went on to tell her the basic details of the settlement, strange cultural norms that were common such as meeting every ten days for a social gathering. It seemed like this settlement was very involved with eachother. Val wondered how she would fit into all this. “Now, onto the dangers. I saw in your luggage you had a sword.” this caught her off guard, she didn't brandish it or make a note of it but it was tucked in tightly with her baggage. “Do you know how to use it?” her face flushed red suddenly against her own volition.

“Poorly, I would say.” her fathers voice rang in her ear, instructing her to not mention her own magical training, the Flux, as it was called.

“And how well acclimated to thick jungles are you?”

“Well…” she trailed off as he stared at her, waiting for the answer. Right, honesty. A strange thing to commonly expect. “I wouldn't feel confident if I was my guide.” she admitted.

“Well work on that.” It was we so soon? She thought. “With that said however, dont under any circumstances go into the forest alone. You will die.'' He emphasized the will in that sentence. “Training and learning how to take care of yourself will be important, there are many things that could kill you or will try to kill you and I don't want to have to write a letter to your father informing him you died eating the wrong mushroom.” Of all the ways to die eating a poisonous mushroom felt like one of the more poor ways to go.

“Understood.” she said, the thought of her father and mother receiving a letter of her own death at the hands of a deadly fungi angered her. “I have no desire to be just another face in the crowd.” Her voice clearer and more direct, “I intend to make myself a valued member of this community and one of the people regarded as an important contributor.”

“Good goals,” he said, reacting to the shifting personally, “But lets focus on the basics of getting you shelter and acclimation to the environment first.” She nodded, allowing herself to feel the pride of the next step in her life. One where she would finally be in charge of her own destiny. “There is just one last thing to discuss.”
Last edited by Valentina Adair on June 21st, 2023, 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valentina Adair
Player

Character sheet

Leave it all at Sea

Postby Valentina Adair on June 5th, 2023, 2:29 pm

“We are a very open community on Syka.” the captain said, “accept any and all who can make himself useful, which I will say I fully believe you will, however we need to sort out a few things.” His voice took a different tone. This wasn't the jovial singing captain who would keep spirits high. This was the open sea’s captain who had to make the tough choices along his journey. Val thought she saw his hand drift down off the table towards his waist. The Captain was a renowned swordsman but she assumed he had used his cutlas far more than she ever even practiced with her sword.

“Alright.” Val said, speaking to try and steer the conversation slowly back to civility, “I'm an open book James ask away.” She felt her voice crack slightly as her nerves were kicking in. This entire trip may have been for nothing.

“Well Valentina, I’ll be blunt,” The captain kept his eyes on her as he spoke. “I have half a mind to think you are going to be more trouble than you're worth.” The aggressive statement caught her off guard. Before she could respond he continued with a gesture at her. “Ravok nobility, wanting to start a business in our community, traveling halfway around the world on daddy's money.” He began counting the list on his fingers, “I mean, come on Val, could you have been any more obvious about being a spy?”

“A spy?” she felt her eyes widen at the accusation. She of course was not being truthful but to say she was a spy was far too severe.

“A spy, saboteur, seditionist, whatever word you would like, you have trouble written all over you.” She tried to get a word in but he continued. “My half a mind is almost made up and I’ll be honest I think the best thing to do to Rhysol’s follower is to throw her overboard and see how long you last till the reef sharks get to you. So Val, are you going to come clean and tell me why you are really here?”

Her heart was beating faster, there was clearly some history between this settlement and her god that hadn't made its way to her. If she said the wrong thing now it could cement whatever belief he had and lead to her death.

“James.” She took a deep breath before continuing, “Whatever you think, I want to assure you I am not a follower of Rhysol.” the words stung daggers into her gut. The kind of damage only years of indoctrination into the religion would cause someone. “I'm looking to come to Syka to escape that life.” In her mind she felt foolish, it was another half lie.

James kept his eyes on her. Judging her face. Val was ready for this. Plenty of tutors and her father had gone on for hours about the proper ways to lie and not show it. Valentina Adair was raised by a paranoid father who casually remarked about murder plots and betrayal, she could outwit this aging sailor.

“I don't believe you.” he said. His shoulders shrugged as he said it.

“You don't?” Val asked. Shocked and surprised at her apparent incompetence. He met her stunned look with a laugh.

“Not at all. Sorry Val.” he stopped his chuckle and his face grew hard. “Get up.” he gestured to the door behind them.

“Captain, wait let me exp-” He cut her off.

“Val, get up.” he said more sternly this time. He rose from his chair and held a grip on his scimitar. The Ravok woman felt her face grow hot as she stood.

“Let me explain.” she tried to say.

“You have till you get to the door.” He walked around the small desk towards her.

“Okay okay,” She said, starting to sound frantic, “yes, I lied.”

“I know, I already figured that out.”

“But not for the way you think, you see,” She put her hand on the doorknob about to leave the ship before she turned around, “I lied to protect my family.” This raised his eyebrow as he began to process this new information.

“Your right to be worried about the Defiler, we all are.” She gulped, hoping her lie would mold in with her own fear of possible death. Another lie, but more valid. James may be one of the worldliest men alive but Val was confident he was not well versed in the family's internal politics. “My family pretends to worship the dark one. It would be suicide not too. The Black Sun watches every citizen but the rich families can get away with more. After all, it would ruin their perfect city if half of the lower-upper class were found out to secretly not worship the city's only god.”

James scoffed at this, shaking his head at her. It was clear he didn't believe her still but his hand loosened its grip on his blade. “Your telling me half of Ravoks noble families don’t worship Rhysol. I find that hard to believe. I’ve dealt with Ravokians in my travels, they are all devoted and in love with their god.” Val met his eyes, Well here goes nothing. She thought knowing her next few words would be a hard sell.

“Clearly you didn't know any of them that well.”

“You questioning my judge of character? I haven't sailed this ship by making a habit of hiring faulty sailors.”

“Captain, I’m not questioning your competency of hiring crew but I do find it foolish that you would expect anyone from Ravok to risk their livelihood and their family’s own life to be seen speaking to an outsider about anything other than the deep love they hold for Rhysol.”

“You're doing exactly that now.” He said.

“If I kept lying to you I would already be drowning I imagine.” she answered back. “Trust me, if you were that close with a member of the Ravokian nobility, you wouldn't need to make a settlement on an island to call home, you would have enough coin to buy one.”

This lie was a risk. Many things could go wrong. Maybe James did have a really close friend in the nobility who trusted him like no other. It was possible after all, her own father had hired a Vantha tutor. The only thing she had going for her to sell the lie was the fact that after all she was nobility. The caravan she arrived with, the clothing around her body, the letter of introduction, the large tent with more than enough room for one person, all needed to give Val the air of legitimacy she would need.

As he continued to think Val decided to add one last lie in. “Should we go check my luggage? You can inspect it for any religious paraphernalia you might need to disprove my story.” She turned and opened the door.

“Wait.” He said quickly as the hinges of the door creaked with the crash of the waves. “Close the door.” Val shut her eyes feeling a sigh of relief. She closed the door. “Sit back down.” She heard his feet walk back around to the table.

The two returned back to the table and sat back in their seats. James spoke first as he cleared his throat.

“I will be talking to the rest of the Founders about this.” Val nodded in agreement. “This isnt the last conversation you and I are going to have either, if what you say is true and i'm not saying I believe it is, but out of respect for you I will not spread this apparent truth to anyone but the other founders.”

“I'm just looking for a new life and a way to support my family Captain.” Val couldn't read his expression well, she was unsure if the mistrust in his eyes was directed at her words or simply the entire situation.

“If that is true,” he emphasized the if, “Then I see no reason you can't make that life here. I expect to see you make yourself useful, scratch that, more than useful. If I get even a hint that you're up to something, if anyone dies under your care, you won’t have to worry about your family anymore. Am I clear?”

“As clear as the sea Captain.” she responded.

“Good.” A shout rang from above deck in the crows nest calling out that it was nearing time to dock as the call for all hands sounded. “Well Val, welcome to Syka.”
Last edited by Valentina Adair on June 26th, 2023, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valentina Adair
Player

Character sheet

Leave it all at Sea

Postby Gossamer on June 25th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Grading!

Valentina-

Socialization +3, Observation +3, Negotiation +1

Lore:

James: Appearance & Mannerisms, The Veronica: Appearance & How It Feels To Sail On Her, Syka: Has Three Healers, Syka: Doesn’t Care Who Your Family Is, Syka: Housing Options, Syka: Is Not Rhysol Friendly

Note:

There really wasn't much here to grade, just a brief conversation. Since you ran this as a solo, you should have ran a few things by me before you did. One is that the timestamp and where the ship was coming from. We have other threads putting her other places at other times, and James only makes so many trips a season... so its a little wonky but it will work.

The other thing is that if James knows you follow Rhysol, he absolutely wouldn't allow you in the Settlement after the doings of a few seasons ago. I appreciate your honesty in thread, but that's still how it is. He'd simply toss you overboard and leave you to the reef sharks. So I suggest you alter that part do either deny you have an idol and religious paraphernalia or somehow otherwise indicate you are not associated with Rhysol. As we talked before, this is a big no no in S yka.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)