Closed As Darkeness Falls (Esefir)

Mathias has a talk with a new Konti.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

As Darkeness Falls (Esefir)

Postby Gossamer on July 29th, 2023, 11:24 pm

Timestamp: TBD by Esefir

The oldest Founder sat in a comfortable wooden rocking chair baiting a hook. His calmness was a tangible thing. And though he appeared alone on his massive porch which stretched over the water, he was far from it. A casual passersby would see him - some stopping to talk and others going about their business - and find someone alone fishing and deep in contemplative thought.

But Mathias was so much more. Marked three times by Xhyvas, he was a person that could untangle the tangled and pick apart complex weaves to see the potential of what lay trapped inside any situation. His aspect was potential. Syka existed because he saw the potential and invited people to settle here with him.

And as for him being alone... he truthfully wasn't. If they had the eyes to see - the other humans unmarked by Xhyves - they'd understand that his roof was draped with creatures. The Gasvik looked a little like gargoyles in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Some were as small as his hands, and some taller and more massive than an adult human. They all had bat-like wings and lurked around Mathias' place like guardians.

That wasn't the whole truth though. He was the caretaker and keeper of them. They were Xhyves' creations, watchers and information gatherers in the world and almost all of them were here. They gathered to be in each other's company, to enjoy the solitude of Mathias' cabana... after having spent more than five hundred years scattered about Mizahar without Xhyves. The return of their God had caused them to gather, for he was often at Syka as a guest in Mathias' home.

And so, Mathias fishing alone was an illusion. And everyone who joined him on his porch rarely realized the crowd they were joining. No one could see or hear the Gasvik without the Xhyves mark. It was just the way of things. And that was the reason for Mathias' often secret smile or the fact that Mathias could be heard talking to himself often enough, holding up a one-sided conversation with no one at all... or perhaps just the wind, the tide, and the fish he usually liberated from the comforts of the sea.

It was also to whom any of the populace of Syka would direct a newcomer to go see. "Go see Mathias," They'd say, pointing out the direction of his place and how they should join him on his deck for fishing and conversation.

There would be good food, drink, and assistance in joining the Settlement.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

As Darkeness Falls (Tadhg)

Postby Esefir on August 3rd, 2023, 3:26 pm

3 Summer 523AV

Waves crashed against the shore, making foamy spray as they lapped on the sands of the island. There was a warm breeze gently tugging strands of Esefir's pale hair from behind her ears, tendrils dancing across green eyes that gazed towards the beaches ahead. She sat in a small rowing boat, hands gripping the sides and shoulders leaning forward excitedly, as a crew member from the ship she had just disembarked from heaved and ho-ed the oars. The sky was a stunning blue, Syna's light sparkled over the ocean and glittering across the light gold scales wrapped around the konti's arms and shoulders.
        "It's beautiful! Woah!" The konti breathed.
"Ay, 'tis. But them jungles are as dangerous as anythin', wouldn't be my cup of tea, for sure."
Esefir snorted a giggle, "The sea is danger-uh-os too, I shall be okay."
Her accent was thick with kontinese, and her words halting as her tongue stumbled over the words in common.
"Different sort 'o danger, don't be arrogant." The man grunted.
"I know, I'm just saying," The konti stuck her tongue out at him.
"Hmm," He cocked a brow, suspicious.

Once the row-boat made it to shore, the konti clambered out, splashing into the shallow waves, which drenched the bottom of her linen pants and spilled into her boots. The konti was surprised the water was warm. This place was going to be lovely. She grinned from ear-to-ear as the crew-man handed her backpack over to her.
"You'll be wanting to go that direction," he thumbed to a cabin up the beach, "To speak to Mathias."
The konti nodded as she hefted her backpack onto her shoulder, feeling its strain.
    "Good luck!" He chuckled, and began to row his boat back towards the impressive merchant ship that was moored on the depths.

Esefir wondered who Mathias was, someone important she imagined, as she sloshed her way through the undulating tide onto the beach. Once up on the sands, she let her heavy backpack clunk onto the sand and couldn't wait to take her sodden boots off. She tied them over the back of her backpack by their laces, and then rolled up the ends of her sopping wet linen pants, before hefting her pack back onto her back—gods it was heavy, with the weight of all her worldly possessions within, everything she needed to make a landing in Syka. The konti made her way down the shoreline until she came upon the cabin the crew-man had pointed her to.

As she approached, Esefir was struck by how calm the man was. His silver hair and lined face spoke of a well-lived life, spent under the sun. He was quite handsome, for his age, the konti thought, while she stifled a giggle. The konti was still getting used to seeing all these men-folk around. There weren't many of the male species on Konti Isle. The young konti couldn't help stare at their shapes and faces whenever she met one. Realisation struck her after a second though, as her gaze wandered curiously to the fishing hook in his hands. Esefir cleared her throat as she came to a stop a handful of feet away, and greeted her first fellow-Sykan, "

"Hello, uh, Mathias? May I introduce myself, my name is Esefir, I've come to settle in Syka from Mura, on Konti Isle. My sister, Ri'annifir may have written—um, wrotten—to say I was coming...I'm not sure if the letter arrives before I do."

While she smiled warmly, inwardly the konti was taken by surprise at how shy she felt, her executuon of common a bit clumsy. Gods, get a grip, Esie.. She berated herself, determined to make a good first impression in her newfound home.
Esefir
Player

Words: 5467
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2023, 10:02 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

As Darkeness Falls (Esefir)

Postby Gossamer on August 6th, 2023, 10:32 pm

Mathias nodded a greeting to the newcomer and beckoned her to join him on the porch of his cabana which was more like a large deck or wharf than anything. The Cabana was huge and built over the water like a rancho, though it was definitely one story and on solid land on one side. It was made for a man that loved the sea, the water, the waves, and all things aquatic. It was also made to accommodate the host of invisible creatures that liked to splash in the shallows and hunted their meals along the coral with deep dives below the surface.

The deck hung out over the water so far that substantial harmless shapes could be seen loitering in the shadows of the pilons driven deep into the sea bed to support the structure. Groupers, most likely, hung out taking advantage of the free bait tossed over the side once in a while. They took Mathias’ catch more than once, though the elder showed considerable patience with them.

Coming in bright colors, he claimed he could distinguish the individuals among them and that they all had names. More than one person called foul on this, stating he made it up as he went along. But Mathias’ slow secret smile often belied the fact that he did indeed have them named and sorted and followed the slow-growing generations of fish that had been born and died here. Some of the biggest mommas among the groupers, raised their eggs in their mouths, opening up their cavernous maws to release fry to feed while she watched over them. The fry would dart back into her mouth at the first sign of trouble.

Mathias never got tired of watching the fish. And often, more than one Immortal joined him in the sedate activity. Syka housed several from the Divine Realm. So the man never lacked good company. He did enjoy meeting new folks though, especially pretty young Konti. He watched the boat drop her off next to his cabana and was curious why she didn’t just tie up off the deck

He shook his head with a chuckle. “Believe me, the mail around here does not come often or with any enthusiasm. You beat any letter sent to introduce yourself. I’ll be sure to let you know if it does come.” He said kindly, gesturing to the chair resting a comfortable side table away from his own facing the water.

“Would you like to join me, Esefir? It’s very nice to meet you. I’m Mathias, one of the three gentlemen that started this Settlement. Have a seat and tell me about yourself.” He said gently, then rose to grab a second cup of tea and pour her some. It was late enough in the evening that hot tea wasn’t unwelcome, so he skipped icing it with one of the magical ice stones he kept around to keep drinks cool.

He wouldn’t be above giving her a tour in the gently falling darkness. Most of the settlement was it with lights and torches along the main pathway and through the core of the budding little city. However, he’d give them a few moments of chitchat first. “Syka’s about as far away from everything and everyone you can get. What brought you way out to our area? Was it a Calling? That would be a step, for certain if the Konti are now getting called here.” He added, looking thoughtful and concerned all in one expression.

With her tea poured, he took a casual seat and checked his pole, gently beginning to reel in the line as if anticipating them packing up in a few chimes to go for a short walk.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)