The Scorpion and the Frog [Satu & co.]

Satu and her minions are on a quest to stop the former champion of Sagallius, a manipulator known as the Crone.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Mao on May 7th, 2011, 2:44 am

oocI'm so gonna get shanked for this. XD

These monks were far more unpredictable than the average prey. Mao watched them like a predator on the verge of attack, even when in her current state it would be nigh impossible to get anything done, even a simple jump. She watched the exchange between her bondmate and the monks that barred their passage into the city, instinctively moving closer to Satu in almost a threatening manner. No way in petching hell would she allow these bastards to touch her konti.

“We don’t know anything about this Monk Videk,” Mao growled, “So don’t assume we’re accomplices.” The kelvic smirked, eyeing the crossbows aimed at them and slipping her hand into Satu’s to draw her closer. “If we saw a Videk on the roads then it seems like someone wasn’t doing their jobs right.” She didn’t mean to insult him, since the kelvic rarely thought over what she wanted to say before she said it. But the fact that they questioned them so harshly for mentioning a man seemed beyond her comprehension. If the guy was supposed to be killed, why did they see him out in the open? In the wild, escape was a 50/50 chance, apparently this monk had some type of advantage.

Mao glanced toward Asheny, the ‘lone human’ and gave him a toothy grin. She had never been surrounded by humans until now, and it made her hungrier than ever. The doll was of no concern to her. Mao only assumed it to be a toy, and that’s the role it played.
Mao
Nyancat

Words: 151412
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 10:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Tarot on May 11th, 2011, 8:58 pm

They could feel many pairs of eyes glued on their little fellowship, and despite their assurances to the contrary they looked so fishy the monks were almost puzzled. It wasn't unusual for unlikely parties bound by a common destiny - caperias, as they'd been called in the ancient tongue - to show up at the gates, but their timing here was ominous at the very least and disastrous at the most.

That and Arianni was a terrible liar, as to be expected of one who resonated with truth. Asheny and his attempt at semi-witty humor only came across as annoying to the monks, one of whom made as much as a low growl in his direction, but then again most foreigners had that effect on the Nykan monks, so he was in good company. Mao's remarks were ignored altogether, for they only spoke of ignorance to them. It seemed like the monks took offense at different things than most people.

Still, the puppet seemed to have left their immediate concerns: Videk was by far the more important catch. The first monk calmed down just enough to address Satu, whom they had recognized as the leader of this coterie, in a civil fashion, weapon lowered and all. She and her companions were good at pretending ignorance, if nothing else. "Our High Priest sent Videk on a mission away from the city for the better part of the season. He only returned two days ago, and when the High Priest gave him audience to hear his report, the traitor assaulted him with a blade. He wasn't successful, and four brothers seized him immediately. He was put on trial and sentenced to the Lowest Death. The bastard hasn't spoken a word since." Not even under torture, actually, but the monk did not share that bit.

Satu could see the colors that burned in his heart. He was confused and bewildered. Clearly these men had looked up to Videk, and his betrayal had been as sudden as it had been meaningless. Arianni could also confirm the truth of everything the man said. For all their flaws, the monks were not afraid of sharing lots of details with perfect strangers. The first monk exchanged looks with his companions and they all sheathed their steel. The monk waved them in.

"I can't quite decide if you're clean or not," he said, eyes gleaming, "but the city will know. She always does. She'll be your judge, not we." The row of monks parted in the middle, like hair. "Make your way to Safehaven Hostel in the Celestial Quarter, and don't linger outside at night. The square is just around the corner from the Hostel. Get yourself a nice spot to watch Videk's execution if you'd like, strangers. It's all we have to offer the likes of you these days."

The monk allowed them to pass. Only the last monk, the one who'd never spoken so far - the youngest of the lot, and still looking old far above his years - gave them all a long, thoughtful look as he clutched and turned a shiny-looking dagger in his left hand. Mao thought he looked at her longer than any of the others. "I pity your fellowship, Konti," he said at last, "for you have the death-shine." He turned the dagger as if demonstrate the way it shone in their proximity. Of course, it looked like just any regular dagger to Satu's party. "You have Dira's gaze on you. An even harsher judge than this city." He bowed his shaven skull in some Nykan ceremonial of respect, and his companions followed suit.

And the gates beckoned them.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Satu on May 12th, 2011, 5:19 am

Satu saw now that she had approached Nyka and the search for the Crone in the wrong manner. The monks had suspicions, and already too much attention had been paid to them. The men saw her, and spoke to her as a leader. She had no wish to be a target. This oversight would need to be remedied. And soon. The Konti listened to their words with more than her just her ears, she listened with her HeartSense also. What she felt from the monks did not sit well. Confusion. Confusion ever flowed around Videk…The HeartSeer felt the Crone’s strings in this; the sudden betrayal of someone trusted, and a murder attempt in full view of others… and the lack of speech. Her Heart warned her… they must tread carefully in this city. Satu wondered, Videk, who do you know?

If relief came at the sheathing of the monk’s swords, Satu did not show it. So calm and controlled had she become, a model of Konti restraint. “Dira’s gaze is upon us all. No one is spared for long…” Satu told the guard, as a hand touched upon Mao’s shoulder, in an effort to restrain the Kelvic’s tongue with her gentle touch. Satu bowed her head to the monk in return, in acknowledgement of their tentative trust. The city might judge them, but once more she looked to Nyka’s walls, the walls that surrounded the city were alive, why should the city be any different? What had they to fear? Theirs was a sacred quest! In her lilting voice, she added with the same measure of seriousness, “May your city prosper and find peace.”

Stopping and turning back to them, as if in afterthought, she said, “But tell us, if I might ask… what is The Lower Death?” She did not understand the monk’s term. It was best to know what lay before them, and before Videk.

Then she turned and walked regally through the parted line of monks. When they were out of earshot, she motioned Ash’ney to her, “Asha’nay? I would speak with you a moment…” and she took him aside, and quietly said, “I do not wish to alarm the others, they would not understand.” As you do, she seemed to say. “There is danger here for me. There are those that would seek to kill me for the goodly path I have chosen. I must be careful.” She whispered, “The others are not up to the task, I could not ask them, for they do not have your talents.” Her eyes held his, letting her need, and her trust for him shine through. “Would you help me? I must remain hidden...” She touched his arm, cool contact in the scaled hand. “I need you to act as leader, to speak as leader of this group. To guide, when a subtle tongue is necessary with these strangers…” Did he understand what she asked? “You have talents dear Asha’nay, they will prove useful in the days to come. Your purpose is upon you, if you would but let it lead you. Will you help me? Would you be my protector?”

And if Ash’ney saw love in her sapphire eyes, so much the better. And it would be true, for Satu did love him, as she loved each and all who helped Sagallius’ bright light shine. Some might have called it manipulation, though Satu saw it as honoring the man. “If you would, lead us to the Safehaven, and then to the square… I’ve not time to tell you more,” she whispered, breath sweet and pure. “We must work for peace, and to that end we must find the ones that Videk knew… and we must be at the execution too. I will know where to go from there.” She said cryptically, for she had the utmost confidence that the LinkGem and Sagallius would show the way. “I will walk with Arianni and the Golem.” Like quiet and peaceful Konti’s, which to Satu’s mind, she still was. The Kelvics, Satu didn’t mention, as she knew they would go where they would.

Though inland far we be,
Our souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither.
~William Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

Signature Credit goes to:
archistock.deviantart.com
jurgita.com
catskullcollector.deviantart.com
and the ever lovely and helpful Hex for putting it all together!
Satu
Flower of the Sea

Words: 296249
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2009, 3:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Ash'eny on May 17th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Ash'eny felt a fifty pound weight lift from his chest as the monks, who Ash'eny could have sworn were going to turn them into a target-practice exorcise. Ash'eny audibly exhaled, a massive sigh of relief, as their weapons began to disappear, as if their threats were never truly looming over them. "You should find our visit practically unnoticed. It's as if we were never here." Ash'eny already understood that his humor was wasted on not only these monks, but even his companions. He was beginning to fear he was turning into a voiceless statue in fact, a terrible fate. However, as Ash'eny was walking by the last man, the one speaking about the dagger and something called a 'Death-shine', his eyes glanced at him. He missed something in his conversation with Satu, something he felt, was very important. "What?" Ash'eny wanted to stop and question the man, but the party was already moving forward, and the Monks weren't exactly the friendliest of people anyway. Perhaps later Satu would tell him.

Ash'eny's head snapped to Satu as the said his name, or rather the name she had given to him as if she was his very own mother. He nodded briefly and followed her away from the others, the kelvics and that awkward Konti. "Satu? Is something wrong?" Ash'eny listened to each and every word, drinking them as if it was the very water he needed after a week in the desert. Help, she needed his help. Since they left Syliras, she hadn't needed his help, but she promised him in Syliras, the day they met, that she needed him as much as he needed her. He wasn't certain what 'talents' she was talking about, since he wasn't even sure if or how she knew anything about him (but he accepted a while ago just just knew these things), but she was trusting him now, to not fail her. This was more than just a test of devotion, love, and respect for Satu, this was quite possibly risking her life by putting them in his hands. A chill ran through his body as he nodded, a silent acceptance of the duty. He didn't want it, the responsibility of it all, but he would take it and do his best to protect Satu with it. "I will do this for you." Ash'eny inhaled and grinned, a spark of life igniting him as the two of them moved back towards Mao, Zuzana, and Arianna.

"Let's move, I don't want to miss the hanging." Ash'eny glanced at the Kelvics for a brief moment, tossing a wink towards Mao, and turned around to lead the way, following the directions of the Monks towards the Hostel. He doubted much would happen there, but he was almost eager now to see Videk again. He himself exchanged no words with the man, but now he wanted to. Such a commotion over a single man, he had to know something.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Arianni D'Sorn on May 21st, 2011, 4:12 pm

It was obvious the monks did not believe her words, and so Arianni lapsed into comfortable silence once more, but with the worry that they might be barred entrance to the city, or worse, executed as well for the monks' belief that they were in collusion with the rogue Videk. But the monks did part, and they way to the city lay open before them. The last words spoken by the monks, especially by the youngest guard, had the small Konti frowning, however.

Ever the thinker, Arianni shuffled along with the rest of the group as they moved towards the inn they were directed to, her head bowed, deep in thought. Though the monks spoke true, she felt that there was more going on than even they cared to admit. Moreso with her friend Satu, for she knew not what the more experienced and worldly Konti wanted from Videk. But without seeing the whole picture, Arianni would not know the truth. She wanted to help her friend but Satu had to be willing to confide into her first. She hoped the time they had spent apart had not dulled the relationship they had forged back when they were young.

And then Satu was walking beside her. Arianni knew it was the real on and not the lookalike, for the living doll was already beside her, silent as she was. Save for the crack that ran down the doll's face, it was usually a task to tell one from the other, so identical were they. It was much easier for Arianni to tell who's who, however: she knew Satu wore footwear different from the doll. With her gaze always downcast, it was how she identified people, by the shoes they wore.

"Satu..." she began, her mismatched eyes looking up to gaze at her fellow Konti, hoping that the woman would be open to her. She spoke in Kontinese so the others would not understand if they were overheard. "I do not know why we are here, the people do not seem to like us. But the man Videk seems to be important to you, or what he knows, at least. I...I want to understand, to...to help you.

"I...I feel the gaze of the gods upon us ever since I joined our group. That monk...he only confirmed what I feel, and to know that even Dira herself watches us..."
Arianni paused as her gaze drifted upon the feral Mao, the Kelvic heavy with child yet still seemingly full of fight. The last monk had looked upon her the longest and the gentle Konti's heart felt for her and her unborn babe. "I fear for your...our friends." The switching of her words was unintentional but she wanted Satu to know that whoever she made a part of her life, Arianni would accept and trust as well.

"The monk Videk... he seems to be the center of what you...what you seek. We...we must prevent his death for you to learn what...what he knows. What you're after. What...whatever it is." Arianni had just revealed her hand, expressing her knowledge that she knew, or had an inkling, of her friend's agenda by reading between the lines of what was said and, more importantly, what was not. She was willing to help of course, but she needed to know what for. If only Satu would speak to her about it.

OOCSorry for the late reply, life has gotten in the way of late, I'm afraid.
Arianni D'Sorn
Eye of the Void

Words: 49757
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2010, 12:36 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Zuzana on May 29th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Zuzana had remained silent, she wasn't one for words, only actions. She had remained silent near Mao during the passing of words, her eyes flicking from one person to another. The Kelvic smirked at Mao's comment, clever. The woman felt the hundreds of eyes beating down on their group, armed men and perhaps women. The gazes did not bother her, it was the simple stench of the place, a strange smell she wasn't use to. The forest smelled nothing like this. Zuzana's nose scrunched up as the monks approached them.

Satu had a way with her words and actions, smooth, considerate. But even her careful thoughts as to the next words that would leave her mouth left seemed to set the monks off. These men were not trusting, clearly for good reason, Videk had been a traitor and now the group seemed to have an attachment to the strange man. The woman cocked an eyebrow, why had Satu said that? Words, Zuzana would never be good at them.

The Kelvic watched as the monks split, allowing the group forward into the gated city. On either side were these men, distrustful and smelly things. Zuzana sneered as she walked past, only to let her eyes focus into pinpricks on the last man. Dira's gaze? What did that ever mean? The kelvic knew nothing of gods and goddesses, why should she? They were just stories to the woman, boring ones at that. Zuzana did understand death, perhaps not death shine, but death she understood.

The Kelvic did pause for a moment, mid step to inspect the man. The woman scoffed then continued on their path, following the others toward the city. With any luck, their passing would be brief and Zuzana could get away from the smell before she began to reek of it.
Zuzana
Player

Words: 23003
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2010, 5:16 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Arianni D'Sorn on June 8th, 2011, 11:57 pm

OOC: Mao is not going to post, I hope we can just proceed.
Arianni D'Sorn
Eye of the Void

Words: 49757
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2010, 12:36 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tarot on July 2nd, 2011, 9:14 pm

"The Lowest Death?" the monk told Satu, "It's just what it say in the name, the lowest way to die in Nyka. It's what we do to the scum who commit... I guess they'd call it High Treason in Syliras. They have all sorts of fancy talk over there. Anyways, Videk is getting his hands and feet cut off, then he's going to be hanged and disemboweled at the same time, plus whatever the executioner can come up with on the spot. To make it even Lower and more unforgettable."

The stronger and more sacred a rule, the more cruel the punishment for those who broke it. Nyka was no exception. But why had Videk, supposedly a monk in good standing prior to this, assaulted his High Priest? Failing at the task and letting himself get caught alive, to boot. He must have known the price of failure.

The monks still regarded the strangers with suspicion, though by now the entire party knew it was more of the vague premonition that comes with a bad omen than any concrete fear of them committing a crime. Arianni felt it more acutely than anyone else, for she clung to the ways of the Konti more tenaciously than Satu. The monks felt they were bad luck. Simple as that. Death walked with them, among them, because of them. One of the monks waved a dismissive hand at Ash'eny, as if telling him to take his humor elsewhere. As far as possible. Another made a strange warding gesture as the golem-doll passed by. The shaven monk who had mentioned the death-shine held Zuzana's gaze decisively. He had a more mystical look than the others, if brutes could be mystical. Certainly these men were full of contrasts. Just when you decided they were just glorified thugs, they revealed a more spiritual side to them.

Nyka was a city of alleys, not streets - some alleys just happened to be a little wider and safer than others. The buildings were quite packed together with little or no sign of city planning. Most shops had big signs proclaiming they did no business with strangers. In fact, some of these signs were decorated and others had crude jokes in them, suggesting that Nykans liked to compete over who had the best no-foreigners sign. The owners were quick to point at them if the party let their eyes wander a little too long.

At first, images of hammers were ubiquitous on signs as well as painted on walls and woven on flags. They were the insignia of the quarter and their brightly dressed citizens loved to display them as often as they could. Then, they came across a bridge as the buildings suddenly opened up. Except there was no river. There was a rocky canyon instead, a rough scar on the surface of Mizahar that looked too deep and straight to be natural. Even at noon on summer's solstice the sun would refuse to shine on the bottom of the crevice at this latitude. Four monks guarded the bridge, two on either side, and seemingly from different "orders", for two carried hammer insignia and the other two, sword insignia. They let the party cross the bridge, and the long coil of rope attached to the middle of the parapet was plain to see. Apparently they let people climb down into the canyon from here.

After the bridge, the buildings seemed to get bigger and slightly less crowded together. There was also a noted lack of symbols, suggesting that they must have entered some zona franca that belonged to no quarter at all. Minutes later they had reached the Celestial Square. While it wasn't a big place, and it couldn't have held more than a few hundred people, it looked big once the eye had grown used to Nyka. The tallest building in the city stood on the far side of the square. It was cross-shaped, and from each arm of the cross a tower shot up with a golden symbol as its pinnacle - a sword, a hammer, a coin and an ear of wheat.

But, of course, they would see the scaffold first. Half a dozen monks were putting in the finishing touches on the stage of tomorrow's execution. A few citizens watched from a safe distance, for to get in a monk's way was never a wise idea, doubly so when they were setting up the gallows.

Just as described, the Safehaven Hostel was just around the corner from the square. It was a humble structure with a sign on the door that read "Yes, we actually do business with foreigners. You're safe... for now." The inside was bleak-looking and barely furnished. It was like walking into a tavern with no alcohol and wenches. It just felt wrong. A tall woman stood up from behind an old counter. She was also a monk - the brown robes with the gold-woven insignia gave her away, and she bore the sign of the Coin. And she was scarred like the rest.

"Welcome to Nyka, strangers," she said matter-of-factly. "You will like it here." It sounded like a statement, not a hope. "I'm Vysia. We accept Syliran Mizas, single room is two silvers a day, double is four silvers. Payment is upfront. No discounts. No drinking contests. No brawls. No experimental poetry. Clear?"

OOCApologies, I have been busy and had to alter my plans a little to account for Mao's retirement. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Satu on July 4th, 2011, 6:16 am

Satu did not care about the gruesome punishment that awaited the captured man, and she did not even blink as the monk described it to her. So long as Videk pointed the way to the next closest person to the Crone, the Konti would be satisfied. On an intuitive level, she knew without a doubt the Crone was involved. Videk was a pawn and would remain a pawn until his death. The weak were to be manipulated and used, or even loved as the gods wished. But that man’s life was almost at end. The gods no longer cared, and Satu’s only concern with him laid in the information he could give her. The white haired Konti would not try to save a life already lost.

To Satu’s corrupted mind, the Crone’s actions were further proof the woman no longer served Sagallius best interests. Had he not said himself that the old woman had betrayed him? The Crone needed to be stopped, and the Konti would see it done.

The sensitive vessel of the HeartSeer felt every conflicted emotion that emanated from the monks around her as the party walked away. With clarity she noted that each member of her group created a different feeling in the men as they passed. But then, Satu also felt a collected relief rise up from her companions when they were finally away from the armed and distrustful men. For a Konti raised with omens and portents, their Nyka welcoming did not bode well. She chose to overlook the ominous warning signs. Death and violence she had seen a thousand fold. Blood and gore, and cannibalistic torture were as commonplace in her mind now as the joy of dance and lighter things had once been. Only Sagallius’ sweet purpose soothed her wayward mind. It was for Him, and only Him that she continued on, driven like the surf to the rocks. And for Sagallius, she needed to get to Videk, or even close enough to him for the LinkGem to show her the way.

Ash’ney led them, and Satu caught up with him once and spoke lowly, “Asha’ney, we are untrusted here. If anyone asks for explanations, tell them we are on a spiritual journey. You must be very careful, very subtle… to protect us.” To protect me, she thought. “I know you understand what is at stake...” She gazed upon him adoringly, his useful potential paramount in her mind. “Now is the time to show your strength. You have hidden it too long. Be strong!” That he would act as leader filled the Konti with an enticing satisfaction that he had followed her wishes. The feeling flowed beneath lovely white skin and through her veins. His trust buoyed her, and fed her slowly growing love of leaderships and power. Satu offered him the most touching of looks from her exotically scaled face in return, then silently dropped back to walk with the others.

The closed-in streets reminded the Konti of the jungles of Falyndar. Memories returned and she stood taller, straighter. Stronger. She was like a Myrian now, for they had ultimately saved her, and given her focus. The Konti’s fervent gaze lifted as she took in the hammer signs and the painted flags. But there was no hesitation in her step or worry on her face. What was scorn from the people of Nyka? She had lived through the horrors of Opportunity, and the initial hatred of the Myrians. She had conversed with two gods, Avalis and Sagallius. And while she imagined the goddess of Divination was still close to her Heart, the dark goals of the puppet god overshadowed her narrow world. High Purpose drove her on.

It took a moment to register that Arianni spoke to her in Kontinese, so soft was the younger Konti’s voice. “Yes, it is true, the gods are ever watching us,” Satu answered in their mother tongue, though she failed to mention Sagallius’ name. “Do not fear. DO NOT!” Satu whispered forcefully, as the past always threatened to return with its fear and madness, “Fear will bring ruin faster than Dira!” But Satu paused. Arianni had always been the smarter, with her clear thoughts and strange magicks. If Arianni could help, then the suvai fighter would not turn her away, for Satu knew she needed help. She offered Arianni the truth, though it was limited in its scope. And as always, Satu believed totally and completely the words she spoke.

Then she added more mildly, her face softening and her voice a breezy whisper, “Arianni. I do not wish to tell you all I have been though. It would break your gentle Heart. But I will tell you this: the world is not a kind place. And there are those in it that are neither benevolent nor peaceful. I have vowed to work for peace, for the sake of people… like you.” And Satu took the Arianni’s hand between her own and continued. “Videk is the key. The key to a path…. A path that leads ultimately to one who would taint all that is precious in the world. I need to be near Videk, to see who is about him, to know the next step. But to be near him, or to ask to see him, would bring more suspicions upon us… We can not prevent his death, no. But to see him first before his death, would help our goodly cause.” She stopped to gague Arianni’s reactions and emotions. Her eyes searched her friends, looking for something deeper. Would she help or be willing to do whatever was necessary? “...I am not what I once was,” She would have apologized for the changes within, but it would have been a lie. She was not sorry. She had found Sagallius. “I am stronger now Ari. … though my joy has fled. And I need help to find who Videk knew.” She squeezed the once familiar hand warmly, and her voice grew nostalgic, “There are too few left that I would trust… But I trust you.”

As they traveled, only the canyon walls unsettled Satu, as no man or monk, or sign yet had. It was unnatural in its straight lines and manmade depths, and to a Konti who had grown amid swirling waters and tides of change it was a foreign thing. But they reached the Celestial Square, and the Konti’s sapphire eyes swept across it to rest upon the scaffolding, as if she could divine Videk’s secrets from the gallows wood. The LinkGem was held close, and Satu checked it periodically, though she was secretive and cautious with the gifted item. Raising her head she studied the cross shaped building with interest, until she turned suddenly and said sternly, “Zuzanna, do not stray…”

At the Safehaven Hostel, Satu waited with the others for Ash’aney’s reply. She had pulled the Golem’s cloak and hood closer about its face to hide it further from scrutiny, and now stood beside Arianni once more, a false meekness upon her features. The Hostel owner was sure to judge Ash’ney for his response, as would Satu. This interaction was the man’s first test and the Konti waited patiently, hopeful he would shine, but also very willing to let him falter.

OOCApologies for the massive post
Last edited by Satu on July 4th, 2011, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Though inland far we be,
Our souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither.
~William Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

Signature Credit goes to:
archistock.deviantart.com
jurgita.com
catskullcollector.deviantart.com
and the ever lovely and helpful Hex for putting it all together!
Satu
Flower of the Sea

Words: 296249
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2009, 3:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Ash'eny on July 4th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Ash'eny was familiar with racism all right. Throughout his childhood, he could remember little chants, stupid little songs made by kids decades before that still managed to survive through years and years, somehow. 'Look at this, the man so blue. Nobody cares about shyke like you.' Ash'eny wasn't really the constant victim of racism, he was human after all, humans were all too common in Sylira to be seen as an infestation of rodents (though he often felt his own people were no better than this). These signs, however, were different. They weren't so much as racism, not against Akalak, not against Human or Konti or Kelvic. It was something directed specifically at their group, but to a category their group was a victim of falling under. Foreign. And the racism, Ash'eny couldn't help but assume, wasn't out of hatred or jealousy. From what little he already experienced, he assumed it was fear. Never had Ash'eny been feared in Syliras, the Knights were cocky sons of bitches that took every moment they could to look down on innocent people. Here, it felt different.

Ash'eny found he hated being feared for something he didn't do. Perhaps he was too soft, too easily influenced by fear itself, but he wasn't a fan of people hating him because of what he just might be able to do.

Ash'eny hadn't expected Satu to come up to him again so soon, especially when she needed to be hidden to the best of the group's ability, but he didn't dare command Satu. He couldn't do that. He couldn't even consider it. He was here, in some unorthodox way, to protect her, to help her continue through this fog-soaked path. She was the beacon of light that could see through it, he was just there to keep that light from being snuffed out, if he could. Ash'eny may have been playing the part of the leader, but he knew where Satu truly stood. "A pilgrimage. I understand." Ash'eny said nothing, but Satu's eyes, that lingering emotional stare melted him. He couldn't put his finger on why, but she reminded him of his daughter so many years ago. He was determined at that thought, determined not to let the world take another from him that he cared so much for. He smiled as she moved back to the rear of the group with her clone, and Arianni. How could he have resisted a pleading request like that? Satu could have asked him to cut off his foot and throw it into the Suvan, and if she gave him that look, he would truly consider it.

Ash'eny didn't take too much notice with the canyon as the crossed that bridge. It wasn't that he ignored it or anything of the like, but rather, he chose not to stare at it. He wasn't afraid of heights, hadn't been since he was a child, but neither was he comfortable staring down and wondering. Instead he simply stared at one of the guards stationed there, said nothing, did not smile, probably received no word or emotional response in return, and they were across.

The view on the other side, now that definitely drew his attention. Ash'eny even had to stop for a moment as he watched the stage of execution being set up, from afar of course. He knew what that was all about, and he turned to mention it to Satu, though the way she was looking at it, told him she was already aware of its significance. They were close, but it was not time.

And what happens if Videk doesn't reveal what Satu needs to know?

He lead the group on, away from the trial-to-be and into the Hostel. This was to be their home for the night, and Ash'eny hoped he could part from this horrible city before he himself was found guilty of some crime and deserved to have his legs cut off at the knees and was forced to run from children wielding large rocks. Ash'eny did not greet the woman. He reached into his purse and dropped two gold-rimmed mizas onto the counter, and without so much as a hint of humor anymore, he spoke. "A single room, two doubles. We'll only be here tonight. The extra is for a drink if any of them want one, if not, it's yours."

Ash'eny of course felt a dozen comments swirl in his head. 'Oh, we love it here already!', 'No worries, we just came to see a good hanging.', 'How much extra for a little personal company?' Ash'eny thought it was better to avoid such thought for now. His laughter was wasted on these monks anyhow. They were probably sucking the soul right out of him.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext