Chancy Encounter (Tetharion, open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Nisana Curare on April 23rd, 2011, 10:27 pm

Season of Spring, Day 34, 511 AV

As much as it had been nice to get back to hunting this season Nisana couldn't forget about the reason why she had come to Riverfall in the first place. Serena was waiting in Kalinor for her surrogate, and Nisana wouldn't disappoint. She had a plan, one that she was sure would work, but she still needed a target. So she was once more walking through the streets of Riverfall looking for a woman good enough to give birth to her sister's child.

As always, she wore her black Chitinous armor as she moved among the towering brutes called Akalak. Even though she had suffered no accident at their hands during the length of her stay here in Riverfall she still did not believe that they were incapable of lumbering into her without a second thought. As hulking as they were she doubted they would even feel a thing from a collision that could break her bones.

Her amethyst eyes moved back and forth over the various people that she passed as she slowly walked along. At least she seemed to have managed a fair amount of attention from the various Akalak. If she could not bear a child for her own race, then why would she want to have one of the dark skin brutes growing inside her belly?
"Moz seh krevas dav'ene obris zhevat."

Nisana has a few threads loose in her head. Anything written underlined in her posts is only in her perceptions, and should be ignored by anyone else. :)
Nisana Curare
Alt of Alenias, Proud Huntress

Words: 74590
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Tetharion Alarias on April 24th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Today was a fairly slow day for Tetharion, and for a while he decided he'd just roam the city. He'd gotten a snack from a vendor a few minutes ago and while he was eating, he was just taking in the sights; true he'd grown up seeing the same structures and scenery everyday, but some things never got old.

Like his people, many of the visual wonders were grandiose in size and stature, with a strength that had and would continue to weather the ages. One such building was holding his attention while he walked, but when he got a certain distance away from it, something told him to look down; just a gut feeling that he'd learned to trust over the years.

He looked down and saw her, the chitinous armor, the pale skin and black claws; a Symenestra woman was walking in his path and she hadn't seen him yet because her eyes were watching other Akalak closer to her. He'd heard of their fragile frames and he didn't want to be responsible for breaking a person, much less a pretty and exotic one.

There wasn't much space between them now, and stopping so suddenly might get him bumped and knocked into her regardless, so he cleared his throat and tried to get her attention. "Excuse me for prying, but seeing a Symenestra here in Riverfall is a rather rare occurence; how do you like the city so far?"
Tetharion Alarias
Son of Wysar

Words: 6699
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2011, 2:05 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Nisana Curare on April 25th, 2011, 1:20 pm

The clearing of a throat nearby drew Nisana's attention, and she turned her eyes to see one of the large brutes barreling straight at her. Instead of stopping or changing his direction the red skinned brute was trying to make conversation! Not wanting to be trampled Nisana moved out of his way, and briefly considered ignoring his words. She had little desire to speak with one of the Akalak, knowing what it was that they most likely wanted from her, but she had been working to maintain a neutral to good reputation in Riverfall since she arrived. Being rude would only draw unpleasant attention to herself.

"It's been pleasant," Nisana replied with a polite smile, "Though the winter was colder than I am used to. The turn of Spring has been a nice change, and allowed me to get back to my hunting."

She would have loved to simply walk off at that point, but that would be worse than ignoring him. So she turned and started walking with him, knowing that her charm and wit would allow her to avoid any traps he had planned, and offered the brute another smile, this one which showed her fangs, and offered, "My name is Nisana Curare, and you are?"

Nisana has a few threads loose in her head. Anything written underlined in her posts is only in her perceptions, and should be ignored by anyone else. :)
Nisana Curare

Character sheet

Postby Tetharion Alarias on April 26th, 2011, 3:39 pm

"Indeed our winters may not be the coldest or the harshest, but they are still nothing to scoff at, especially for one not used to the bitter, frigid winds." He hadn't even mentioned that fact that all the beasties of the plains seemed to enjoy visiting Riverfall and the surrounding area for any food they could scrounge up.

He himself loved the Winter as it was his birth season, but he knew his opinion wasn't a very popular one amongst his kin and travelers alike. While they were conversing she fell into step with him and gave him her name, something he didn't object to, but hadn't expected so early. Before giving her his, he responded with a fang filled grin of his own; "Tetharion Alarias, at your service."
Tetharion Alarias
Son of Wysar

Character sheet

Postby Nisana Curare on April 26th, 2011, 3:58 pm

"A Pleasure, Tetharion," Nisana said with a nod of her head, not wanting to offer her hand to the brute for fear he would crush it, "Tell me, what is it you do here in Riverfall?"

She understood that pretty much everyone worked here, part of the reason she had taken up hunting again, so it seemed a safe enough topic to discuss. Hopefully during it she would find a polite way to excuse herself, and then she could continue on her way.

Nisana Curare

Character sheet

Postby Tetharion Alarias on April 26th, 2011, 4:43 pm

"The pleasure is all mine Nisana, and as for what I do I suppose it's a bit of this and that." How to explain his job; well their were several facets and some didn't even seem directly related. "Well, my main task is that of training instructor. I teach young Akalak the ways of combat and how to gain and maintain a strong body, as well as a strong mind.

I also spar with those wishing to maintain and increase their skill level. I also help with hunting parties and things of that nature, so I would guess it's fair to say that I don't have one particular task or title, but all of what I do is important." Taking another look at her, he nodded his head as he came to conclusion; a true warrior could sense another, and this woman looks aside had seen combat.

"I take it from your dress and the way you carry yourself that you too are versed in the ways of battle....archer maybe?" The woman while polite couldn't completely hide the subtle facial ticks become accustomed to from being constantly around women who thought he was trying to sire a child with them. Did he want a son, of course, who wouldn't; but he was young, and reproduction was not on the top of his to do list. Would he bed a willing woman, yes; but he doubted at the moment he was comfortable with trying to conceive.
Tetharion Alarias
Son of Wysar

Character sheet

Postby Nisana Curare on April 26th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Nisana nodded politely, only half listening to Tetharion, but her attention was caught when he mentioned hunting parties. Perhaps a proper conversation would have some value after all, "Yes, among the Symenestra I am a hunter, and have stalked many a dangerous prey in my time," her pride in her position and skill was evident in both her voice and face, "I have even started to hunt some in the grasslands since the Spring began."

Turning her gaze to Tetharion she did much as he had, giving him a look over, and found that she supposed he was indeed someone who knew how to hunt. It was hard to tell, with all the massive brutes that were the Akalak seeming so similar, but there was a hint to his motion of one who could at least fight, "Tell me Tetharion, what things do you hunt in your hunting parties?"

A fellow hunter could be worth some time, but she doubted he was anywhere near as graceful and skilled a hunter as she was. How could he, with such a massive hulking body and complete lack of grace?

Nisana Curare

Character sheet

Postby Tetharion Alarias on April 28th, 2011, 11:18 pm

"Dangerous prey you say....? I would hear of your conquests given the chance, and the beasts that stalk the grasslands are challenging indeed; I wish you luck in your future hunts." Her curiosity was piqued, and he could tell she was sizing him up; probably thinking how someone roughly 7 feet tall could succeed at the hunt.

Akalak were bred for battle, for hunting; it was in his blood, his very essence, and he trained constantly so as not to squander that gift. She finally asked him a question that was valid enough; she asked him what he hunted. "Glassbeaks are by far the most numerous and dangerous prey; faster than most horses and powerful enough to take down an entire unprepared hunting party on their own.

Then there are the Zith, and other creatures who make their presence especially known during the winter." Slowly he brought one finger up to his scar and traced it to the ending point. "This scar is from my first Glassbeak hunt; we were successful, but obviously not without our prices paid. I almost went blind, but thank the god's I was spared that fate. Now I wear this as a badge of honor and pride."
Tetharion Alarias
Son of Wysar

Character sheet

Postby Nisana Curare on April 29th, 2011, 3:30 pm

"Thank you," Nisana replied politely to Tetharion's luck wishing, but didn't comment on his wish to hear of her hunts. She was not sure she wished to spend so much time becoming friendly with the man.

The mention of Glassbeaks brought a nod from her, and she listed quietly as he spoke of other things to hunt. Her amethyst eyes touched upon his scar briefly, but then slid off. A scar was a mark of failure, not pride or honor. Perhaps among these brutes they were valued because they were thick enough to laugh at such injuries, but often for a Symenestra if something managed to cut bad enough to scar there was a chance they were breaking bones as well.

"You hunt the Zith?" Nisana asked after a moment's thought, "I am hoping you do so as a means of pest control, rather than for meat."

She knew some Symenestra liked the taste of sentient prey, but it had little appeal to Nisana. She preferred meat she had hunted herself, and Viratas was quite clear on his teaching regarding the careless spilling of blood. Even if they were less than the Symenestra, partaking of the blood of another thinking creature was wrong to her.

Nisana Curare

Character sheet

Postby Tetharion Alarias on May 6th, 2011, 9:01 pm

He laughed when she questioned the procedures and protocols of Zith hunting; she was an outsider, but it was funny because so many people entertained the thought of the Zith being eaten like all their other prey. "Yes we hunt the Zith, but eating them is out of the question; honestly I don't even think they'd taste good.

The main reason for hunting them is pest control as you said. A single Zith is a challenge in combat, a group of ten or more is an extreme challenge; larger groups could become legion and would be nearly impossible to deal with. For that reason we find them and take care of the problem before it becomes one for the city."

They continued to walk, and he was continuing to enjoy Nisana's company. He could see his brother's eyes as they passed though; many who knew him intimately knew that Tetharion was not trying to find a mate...but many hoped he was, as his line was strong and would no doubt bare a strong child. "I commend the Zith though; rarely do you see a warrior or beast as fearsome and savage as a Zith fighting for their life."
Tetharion Alarias
Son of Wysar

Character sheet

Next